Forum Jump: 
 1103Likes

post #4171 of 7545 Old 11-22-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Hey Iowa peeps! Just wanted to post and say hello from the mountains of Utah!

It was a crazy summer - cleaning up house, selling house, buying house, packing, moving, unpacking, getting ready and getting to CEDIA... Really just finally came up for air in October and very much looking forward to the holidays.

Missing you guys in Iowa. There are a couple of Utah threads in the "area meets" subform, but most were ridiculously out of date (discussion was getting together to compare various 720p projectors). None were very recent at all. I bumped one of the most recent threads (most recent post from 2008 - yes, 2008) hoping maybe a couple people were subscribed. So far, I've gotten two people to post, so that's three! Whoo hoo!

Hoping to start designing HT 2.0 this winter and maybe build it out (along with basement finish) in the spring and summer. Not going to having an HT and an unfinished basement for years like the last house. That was crazy.

Well, anyway - Just wanted to say hello to the gang. We probably won't be back to Iowa until spring or summer, but if anybody is in Utah for any reason, please look me up!

Cheers, guys!

SC

I'm a Home Theater Enthusiast with GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 7545 Old 11-24-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2089 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Glad things are going well down in Utah. Very interested to hear what you end up with downstairs. Dell has these awesome new board room projectors you should look at. Pair that with a Bose soundbar and you should be set

post #4173 of 7545 Old 11-24-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dell and Bose? Honestly, Joel... That doesn't sound half bad compared to what I have right now, which is zilch! I'm missing friends and family, but I'm really missing my theater.

I'm kidding, but we have been watching a few movies here and there on the Panny 55 LCD in the living room. I think my viewing angle is like 5 degrees. The only number smaller than the viewing angle is the immersion factor, which is like a 2. Or a 1. I've been trying to watch a lot of comedies and indie films so I can save the good stuff for SCHT2.0. So basically I'm back to where I was before I built the last theater - dreaming, designing, and letting movies stack up that I want to watch on a big screen.

I haven't started any serious design, but this room will be a bit bigger, but not much bigger. Wifey wants two rows of four, so I think the aisles will be about as cramped as they were in my last room, and that's using a smaller, narrower chair. It's amazing just how big a room has to get to fit eight chairs in it with some space around. Anyway, AT screen, all source equipment in a rack outside the room, Atmos, and since I sold my M&K's with the house, all new speakers. Thinking about going all DIY Sound Group to scratch my big-sound-compression-driver itch and because anything else I want would cost a small fortune. Probably Fusion-12 Tempest mains, and V-8 Volt surrounds and Atmos speakers. That's where I am right now. Very early. Just sketches in my mind at this point. Need to figure out if I want to burn the space and go to the trouble to use RSIC clips, or use the very cost-effective and space-efficient solution from the last room. Any/all opinions are welcome. I'll probably start a build thread to flesh out final design issues over the Christmas holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving, guys!

Cheers,
SC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4174 of 7545 Old 11-26-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Looking forward to seeing your design Steve! I'll be glad to help you with the iRule programming
post #4175 of 7545 Old 11-29-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hah! Thanks, David!

Thinking about going really clean and simple. We're trying to decorate the rest of the house along the lines of "rustic modern" - at least that what I'm sort of gravitating to - so the theater will probably be similar in character. Maybe a little more modern than rustic. I'll keep you guys updated once I start getting things fleshed out a little more. I'm sure I'll have a few things to bounce off.

Good to hear from you guys!

Cheers,
SC

post #4176 of 7545 Old 12-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Just dropping in to say Hi.

I am Ryan from West Des Moines.
Currently living in a townhouse so not much room for a great HT but I am able to run a 5.2 channel set up with a 65" Vizio M series LED.
I *guess* technically, it is 7.2 as I am running left and right front heights as well.
System is pretty straight forward...
Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000
Emotiva XPR-5
Oppo BDP-103
DirecTV Genie
xBox 360 (don't console game enough to warrant an upgrade yet)
Self built HTPC/Media server with 10TB of storage space
Speakers are Polk Audio LSis...LSi15 fronts, LSiC center, LSiFX surrounds, LSi7s front heights
Running a pair of SVS cylinder subs...20-39 PC and PC12 NSD

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi...Hi.
post #4177 of 7545 Old 12-02-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Hello. Welcome to the Iowa group.
post #4178 of 7545 Old 12-03-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Just dropping in to say Hi.

I am Ryan from West Des Moines.
Currently living in a townhouse so not much room for a great HT but I am able to run a 5.2 channel set up with a 65" Vizio M series LED.
I *guess* technically, it is 7.2 as I am running left and right front heights as well.
System is pretty straight forward...
Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000
Emotiva XPR-5
Oppo BDP-103
DirecTV Genie
xBox 360 (don't console game enough to warrant an upgrade yet)
Self built HTPC/Media server with 10TB of storage space
Speakers are Polk Audio LSis...LSi15 fronts, LSiC center, LSiFX surrounds, LSi7s front heights
Running a pair of SVS cylinder subs...20-39 PC and PC12 NSD

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi...Hi.
Welcome aboard! Although this thread can be quiet from time to time, it's worth checking in. We had a get together last December and a really nice theater crawl in Cedar Rapids this spring. I'm sure they'll be another one at some point. Maybe in DM this time (I really want to see Dave's setup).

Your setup sounds very nice. I've been thinking of expanding our media capacity at some point and getting everything on there. But the investment needed for the Blu Rays just always seems to go other places. I imagine a 7.1 setup will be my next step.

post #4179 of 7545 Old 12-03-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 120
ecrabb - Nice to hear from you. Glad your move out west is going well.

ZLTFUL - Welcome to the forum. A pair of SVS cylinder subs...

Audio: Marantz AV7702mkII / Marantz MM8077 / Emotiva UPA-7 for 7.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X
Video: Sony VPL-VW600ES & SI Black Diamond 133" 2.35:1 CIH for 4K UHD
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Mede8er 600d with Synology ds716 NAS (28tb), PS4, DirecTV
7. Paradigm Studio 20 v5 (L, R, FW), CC-590 v5 (C), Sonance VP63 (SS); 2. DIYSG DA HO 18" (4); PSA S3000i (3); 4! Infinity Entra One (FH), Sonance VP65R (TR)
Lewis Family Cinema 2.0, Lewis Family Cinema 1.0
post #4180 of 7545 Old 12-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the welcome.

Eventually (next 2-3 years) my wife and I are building our "forever" home and one of the primary features will be a dedicated HT (concrete bunker, dungeon-esque feel to it). I will also have a dedicated 2 channel room as part of the guest suite. Ironically, my wife's stipulation was that we have at least a 6 stall garage (3 wide, double deep) for bike storage. She is something of a motorcycle junky and refuses to let us sell one when we get a new one. Right now, we have 3 bikes but that will grow to 5 by the spring of 2016. Add both of our cars and a 1 car garage townhouse has long outgrown its usefulness. Hehe.

I am still a sucker for physical media. I like the convenience of virtual media most of the time but there is just something therapeutic about playing a disc or record. Maybe it is just me.
Plus I like having the cases displayed. That will change as I plan on using Cinemar Main Lobby software/server when we build and will be installing at least a couple of cheap LCD TV "movie poster" displays outside the theater room.
post #4181 of 7545 Old 12-03-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Welcome aboard! Although this thread can be quiet from time to time, it's worth checking in. We had a get together last December and a really nice theater crawl in Cedar Rapids this spring. I'm sure they'll be another one at some point. Maybe in DM this time (I really want to see Dave's setup).

Your setup sounds very nice. I've been thinking of expanding our media capacity at some point and getting everything on there. But the investment needed for the Blu Rays just always seems to go other places. I imagine a 7.1 setup will be my next step.
yeah . . . dlbeck's GTG this summer was amazing. Very humbling though. Kinda like an amateur boxer going to watch the Ali-Frazier fight in person!
post #4182 of 7545 Old 12-03-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hear you on the garage. We have a 2 car garage and 4 cars. Maybe after the mortgage is done we'll expand. Never enough space for the big toys.

And be forewarned, engaging in a subwoofer conversation with kjlewie will make you feel like you brought a thumbtack to a howitzer fight. I'm surprised he doesn't have foundation damage
kjlewie likes this.

post #4183 of 7545 Old 12-03-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
yeah . . . dlbeck's GTG this summer was amazing. Very humbling though. Kinda like an amateur boxer going to watch the Ali-Frazier fight in person!
I was out of town that weekend but was following his build thread. So I had an idea of how awesome the Savoy would be. I'm sure it's every bit as impressive as it looked. I still need to check out Slarity's setup. He invited me over when he picked up the sub parts, but I just haven't had a chance to take him up on it. It looks like a nice build.

post #4184 of 7545 Old 12-03-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We are talking about doing a small gathering at the Savoy again this winter. Let me know if you're interested or if you'll be in central Iowa anytime just send me a PM and would love to give you a demo
post #4185 of 7545 Old 12-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
We are talking about doing a small gathering at the Savoy again this winter. Let me know if you're interested or if you'll be in central Iowa anytime just send me a PM and would love to give you a demo
My ears just perked up like my dog when my wife drops something in the kitchen!
post #4186 of 7545 Old 12-04-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh we live in Ankeny, so it's no problem. I would definitely l love a demo. Just let me know when you decide to do it

post #4187 of 7545 Old 12-05-2014, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Dell and Bose? Honestly, Joel... That doesn't sound half bad compared to what I have right now, which is zilch! I'm missing friends and family, but I'm really missing my theater.

I have a Sony CRT projector I will give you if you want it. I think you might be familiar with such stuff. Heck I will throw in a Barco as a backup!

Glad to hear from you Steve. Hope all is well!

Marantz AV7702mkII | Velodyne SMS-1 |(3)Emotiva XPA-100 |(2) Emotiva XPA-5 |Emotiva UPA-7 |(3) Crown XLS1002 | (3) JTR Triple 8’s | (6) Triad InWall Silver/4’s | (4) Triad InCeiling Gold/6 Omni’s | (3) Danley DTS-10’s | JVC DLA-RS500U | Seymour F130XB140.8” 2.40 | Samsung UBD-K8500 | Oppo BDP-95 | 4K Direct TV | Dennis Erskine Design (excluding ATMOS) | High Impact AV Calibration
post #4188 of 7545 Old 12-05-2014, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Welcome ZLTFUL! Great group of guys on this thread!
ZLTFUL likes this.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Velodyne SMS-1 |(3)Emotiva XPA-100 |(2) Emotiva XPA-5 |Emotiva UPA-7 |(3) Crown XLS1002 | (3) JTR Triple 8’s | (6) Triad InWall Silver/4’s | (4) Triad InCeiling Gold/6 Omni’s | (3) Danley DTS-10’s | JVC DLA-RS500U | Seymour F130XB140.8” 2.40 | Samsung UBD-K8500 | Oppo BDP-95 | 4K Direct TV | Dennis Erskine Design (excluding ATMOS) | High Impact AV Calibration
post #4189 of 7545 Old 12-06-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh we live in Ankeny, so it's no problem. I would definitely l love a demo. Just let me know when you decide to do it
If you guys would like to come over before Christmas I think it would work well even though I know it's a busy time of the year. I'm not talking about a big GTG but if you guys want to come over for a couple hours to watch a movie or just watch some demo clips it would work out great. The next couple Sundays are open - 12/14 or 12/21 - in the afternoon would work best. Let me know what works and if anyone else wants to attend please let me know.
Archaea likes this.
post #4190 of 7545 Old 12-09-2014, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
I would be interested in this as well. I always like seeing what others have done.

Last one I saw was jeahrens, it made me possibly reconsider going 2.35:1 in my next theater.
post #4191 of 7545 Old 12-09-2014, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

I will check with my administrative assistant (wife!) and see what we have going on either of those 2 days.
post #4192 of 7545 Old 12-09-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarity View Post
I would be interested in this as well. I always like seeing what others have done.

Last one I saw was jeahrens, it made me possibly reconsider going 2.35:1 in my next theater.
CIH is the best upgrade I have done since getting a projector. As long as you have the width to make it work, you lose nothing (unless you compromise the height). I lost about 5% of my 16:9 viewing area and gained something like 70% more area in scope. Even viewing 4:3 content feels very natural because the height is always the same and the black level is low enough that the sides just disappear.

I know 12/14 is coming up fast, but that day would work for me in the afternoon or evening for a Savoy showing. The 21st probably would as well.

post #4193 of 7545 Old 12-10-2014, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
CIH is the best upgrade I have done since getting a projector. As long as you have the width to make it work, you lose nothing (unless you compromise the height). I lost about 5% of my 16:9 viewing area and gained something like 70% more area in scope. Even viewing 4:3 content feels very natural because the height is always the same and the black level is low enough that the sides just disappear.
Wow I didn't know the math was that extreme, I figured you lost quiet a bit more on the 16:9 image.

Quote:
I know 12/14 is coming up fast, but that day would work for me in the afternoon or evening for a Savoy showing. The 21st probably would as well.
If I can piggyback on your visit, I wouldn't mind joining you.
post #4194 of 7545 Old 12-10-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
I have three GR-Research LS-6 line source cabinets for sale. I own 6 cabinets and built out two for my mains. I was going to use the others for surrounds someday, but someday will never come. I want to save one cabinet to use as a center "someday."

I brought my built out pair to dlbeck's Central Iowa Spring GTG.

Steve (ecrabb) helps the speaker look small:

I tried to strip two of the cabinets (the best looking ones, too) down to the veneer because I wanted a high gloss finish. After about 40 hours and probably $100 of chemicals, etc. I gave up. These just need to be painted or maybe re-veneered. All three speakers would work great behind a Seymour AV AT screen.

rkinmoval is using 3 of the larger LS-9 speakers in his home theater in Missouri Valley, IA.

I've confirmed with Danny Richie at GR-Research that he still has some kits available for building these out. The price for the kit is $1257.50 per speaker.

Here is a review of the larger LS-9 speakers: GR Research LS9 Loudspeaker Review

I'd like $300 for all three cabinets. This includes the bases and the grills. I am coming to Des Moines this weekend (December 13-14) and can deliver at least to Des Moines.
post #4195 of 7545 Old 12-10-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nope the 16:9 screen was 54" high and the 2.35:1 screen is 51" high . I would have considered finding something a bit taller, but the budget at the time was limited and Monoprice jumps from a 130" to a 150". The 150" would have been a stretch to fit in that room.

-Dave

Does Sunday work for you? Pretty much any time after lunch is good for me.

post #4196 of 7545 Old 12-10-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes let's do this Sunday. How about 3:00? If anyone else is interested please send me a PM or post here (or on the Savoy thread).

I'll want to get your email address via PM.
post #4197 of 7545 Old 12-10-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes let's do this Sunday. How about 3:00? If anyone else is interested please send me a PM or post here (or on the Savoy thread).

I'll want to get your email address via PM.
3:00 sounds good to me. I'll shoot you a PM with email and cell. Thanks for inviting us. Can't wait to see it!

post #4198 of 7545 Old 12-10-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
I forgot to mention that if someone does buy the LS-6 cabinets and kits that the crossovers are already built. This saves time/work. It does take a while to wire up the drivers and tweeters. I think it took most of an afternoon for mine.
post #4199 of 7545 Old 12-10-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Wow. That is a steal. Somebody take him up on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I'd like $300 for all three cabinets. This includes the bases and the grills. I am coming to Des Moines this weekend (December 13-14) and can deliver at least to Des Moines.
post #4200 of 7545 Old 12-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

So apparently, I am a few short of my 15 required posts to send PMs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page