Forum Jump: 
 1103Likes

post #4231 of 7545 Old 12-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 296
First off, Merry Belated Christmas to everyone. Hope the season finds you all well.

Ended up getting all of my parts for my media server. Soon to have 16TB of storage with room to add up to 4 more drives. As much as I love interacting with physical media, it will be nice and convenient to watch everything in my library from any device in my house.

I also got the parts and iTunes cards to pick up the stuff I needed to get Roomie Remote up and running. So far, I am loving it. More info once it is dialed in.

Slarity, once you get into the new digs and start running with the new theater build, I am happy to volunteer my labor as my work/family schedule allows. I worked construction for years doing the whole gamut and was also an IBEW electrician before getting into IT.
It isn't as selfless as it sounds...I also want the hands on experience before I begin building my own in a couple of years!

Hope everyone has a very happy and safe New Years! I will be planted on the sofa, eating boneless wings and bacon wrapped tater tots, drinking beer and watching the foosball!
kjlewie likes this.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 7545 Old 12-30-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post

Hope everyone has a very happy and safe New Years! I will be planted on the sofa, eating boneless wings and bacon wrapped tater tots, drinking beer and watching the foosball!
What time should be all show up to your place? I love anything wrapped in bacon, including more bacon.
ZLTFUL likes this.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #4233 of 7545 Old 12-31-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Very cool! Are you using a device like Darren's to access the files? It's awesome having all of that at your fingertips.
It is very cool. My setup is a combination of the advice/discussion we shared a few pages/months back in August and lots of emails with Darren:

1. Mede8er med600x3d;
2. Synology Diskstation ds213j;
3. Western Digital 3TB hd (x2);
4. Samsung external BD writer returned and replaced by Asus external BD writer;
5. MakeMVK software

I chose the Mede8er after a demo of Darren's (I think during our last crawl); I researched the Synology after dlbeck mentioned it during our group NAS chat back in August; I added it to my Christmas list when newegg had a combo special on the diskstation and the WD drives; I was only getting 2.2x read/write from the Samsung but the Asus is getting >6.0x; Darren suggested the software - which is FREE and easy enough to use that with some help from my son, even I seem to be ripping along.

After using 1TB to rip 38 of my 110 BD, I think I have enough storage for now but I can totally see wanting/needing more down the road. This NAS setup is very cool and so is our IA Meet forum.
jeahrens likes this.

Audio: Marantz AV7702mkII / Marantz MM8077 / Emotiva UPA-7 for 7.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X
Video: Sony VPL-VW600ES & SI Black Diamond 133" 2.35:1 CIH for 4K UHD
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Mede8er 600d with Synology ds716 NAS (28tb), PS4, DirecTV
7. Paradigm Studio 20 v5 (L, R, FW), CC-590 v5 (C), Sonance VP63 (SS); 2. DIYSG DA HO 18" (4); PSA S3000i (3); 4! Infinity Entra One (FH), Sonance VP65R (TR)
Lewis Family Cinema 2.0, Lewis Family Cinema 1.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4234 of 7545 Old 12-31-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2091 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
I was in a bit of a rush before so my post was lacking some content and reasoning.... sorry.

Projectors
If you have a light controlled room the JVC RS49 or X35 in my opinion blows away the quality Sony 55ES. Unless you need high lumen output, the JVS is a smart choice. Sony's entry level projectors aren't anything special at their price point. It's not until you get into their higher end projectors (like Kimball's 600ES) where a Sony projectors shines (pun intended). I've seen two rooms with the Sony 55ES and I just don't care for them. That is my opinion. I find the picture lacks smooth action and unless you spend good money for a calibration, it is outperformed by less expensive models out of the box.

If you need a light canon, the Epson 6030UB is your ticket and has as good of a picture and out of the box performance at that price point of the Sony. The reason I normally steer a little clear of Epson is because they make things a bit on the cheap side. If you get a quality Epson unit, you are safe. If you get a lemon, it's a lot of running around and returning (shipping) the projector. Epson will send you a projector (with credit card on file) before you send in the defective unit and that is how they get such high marks for customer service. But it's still a hassle and I think speaks to the fact instead of making quality, they try to 'service' quality into the product. Then those defective units turn into refurb Epson projectors online and drives the resale value of Epson projectors down. If you are a golfer, I equate it to TaylorMade and their releasing 4 drivers a year. It helps keep initial costs down, but you find yourself with a saturated used market and worthless clubs the day after you buy them.

Speakers
I have felt for years Paradigm offers the best value for commercial speakers. They have several different models and lines to choose from and they should match most any budget. GoldenEar speakers are also strong performers. They do take a while to break in though. The pair I had as a demo in my basement last spring had about 20 hours break-in on them, and they really didn't open up until a week later. I also feel the GoldenEars Triton lineup is great if you don't have external amps. Even the smallest of AVR amps have ease driving two midrange and a tweeter since the woofers are self powered. Just keep that fact in mind when building your room... cabling and electrical outlets need to be planned depending how you want to hook them up.

When you do go to buy, keep me informed or simply call Kent up at Hawkeye Audio in Cedar Falls. He is always willing to extend the 'friends and family' discount to us Iowa HT members. He actually saved me several hundred dollars this past weekend on a small purchase and helped another guy save several thousand over the local AV store the week.... Which I owe Kimball a huge "thank you" too for letting us crash his place to show off his Black Diamond screen. Thanks buddy!!!! Kent and I owe you!
Seconded on the RS49. I talked with Kent at a wedding for one of my wife's coworker (yeah I did a double take when I saw him there) and he told me about the deals they are offering on those. Excellent unit! I've seen 2 Sony 55ES units and I liked them quite a bit. Dave's calibrated unit looked great. Oddly enough the overall black floor didn't seem as low as what I am seeing on my RS46. Which according to the reviews the 55ES should be lower. The overall brightness in his setup seemed close to ours. His screen is bigger, but as much as the iris is closed down on our RS46 I think it could light up the bigger screen. Most likely I'm just watching at lower lumens and lowering the black floor. Our eyes certainly aren't the best tools to measure with. Between the 2, I would still give the nod to the RS46 and not because I own it. The picture just seems ever so slightly better to me. They are very close and both would be on my list (now the RS49). The lens memory for an inexpensive CIH setup is just icing on the cake for the JVC.

I've only seen the Epson units at AVL here in DM. Both times I sat down with them, they have thrown a really nice picture. I think the unit I saw was just over $2k and I would put it below the 55ES and the JVC picture wise, but it's priced lower to reflect that. There are a glut of them on the market, but by the same token their price/perf ratio has a lot to do with it. If I was doing a major upgrade of several pieces, I wouldn't have any problems going with one if that's what the budget allowed. Far better spend the extra budget on something like speakers that will last through several cycles.

Speakers are always very subjective. I don't discount the break in factor for speakers and I would encourage anyone to listen to as many different types as they can. The Golden Ears just sounded a bit flat to me and weren't giving me a warm fuzzy. Break in will change characteristics somewhat, but probably not to the point I would choose them. But that's ME. I'd haul my fat butt up there for a listen if he goes .

Slarity seemed to really like the horn sound that Dave's theater had. So I think something like Paradigm or NHT (I've heard they are back to making good stuff again) will have that forward and crisp sound. Not quite what the horns do, but at least some of that same sound. The Paradigm Studios were my second choice when I was auditioning speakers. Ultimately the B&W's won out. The center blended better with the towers and the slightly less forward highs tended to reveal detail better with less fatigue (for me). The new B&W 600 S2 series has some nice changes that warrant a listen. I'm guessing they'll still be a bit to laid back for Slarity's tastes. But hey they are local and worth listening to.

Since he really seemed to like the horns it's too bad no one carries the mid tier Klipsh's around here. Supposedly the new owner of the company has turned things around. The stuff they put out in the early 2000's was just bad. Thin and harsh. I could only listen to the lower end stuff that American had when I was looking for speakers. They were improved a bit, but didn't really compete with the other stuff I was listening to.

I figured Kimball was using that. Such a nice unit for the $$. When/if I decide to store Blu Ray's I'll have one. For converted DVD mp4 files the WD Live is doing OK. They recently added DTS-MA support. Which is nice for the few *ahem* rips I have of Blu Rays.

Last edited by jeahrens; 12-31-2014 at 10:43 AM.
post #4235 of 7545 Old 12-31-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

jeahrens, doesn't the WDLive play MKV files? I thought it did but I could be mistaken. If it does you can rip your BluRays with MakeMKV with HD-audio and play on your existing gear.

Old Woods Remodel
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #4236 of 7545 Old 12-31-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
It's ALWAYS something. If the screen is stained and cleaning it doesn't work, I have heard of people rolling paint onto the entire screen to get by. They usually use the same mixtures people paint on the wall (Behr silverscreen, etc). Not ideal, but better than living with discoloration.
That's a possibility. Before I had my EliteScreen I had put together two pieces of laminate to make a 126" screen and painted it with some type of Behr paint that was a gray color that was highly recommended here at AVS. It worked great, biggest reason I ended up getting a screen was so it looked nice (with the felt border) and to get rid of the seams I had between a couple of the pieces since the laminate only came in 4x8' sheets. I'll still try to clean it with something a little stronger. I'll probably tackle that today actually.

Quote:
Is your sub issue tied to 2ch material? It sounds like it might be from your description. I had a friend with a similar issue when DD and DTS 5.1 first hit. He had the crossovers set to low on his speakers. When he was listening to 5.1 the problem wasn't noticed because the dedicated .1 channel fed the sub. On 2ch material the processor would send only material below the crossover of the L/R to the sub which was essentially nothing. Otherwise make sure the Denon is not defaulting to a "pure" or "direct" mode. That would not output anything to the sub unless there is a sub channel in the source. Probably not your issue, but thought I would throw it out there. Sometimes it's easy to overlook a simple config problem(my Integra will sometimes default to direct on certain sources).
Thank you so much!!! These were not quite the issue. I wasn't sure the AVR was the issue because I had already tried a factory reset on it and it didn't seem to fix the issue. That and regardless of source I generally use "Multi In" because all my devices are sending out a PCM signal (bitstream doesn't work from my BD player for some reason, well it works but it's super super quiet, like 0db on the receiver or +5 is barely audible). Anyways, I figured out the problem today. It was the fact that my front speakers were set to Large. When they are set to Large, apparently the low frequencies are sent to those speakers and not the sub. After I figured this out, set the speakers to small, I had to rerun Audyssey. Then I noticed my sub wasn't working again. Audyssey automatically changes my speakers to large!!! So manually change those back to small, turn my sub up because Audyseey turns it to -9db, then everything is working as it should. I haven't tested all my sources but playing on my Xbox One with Pandora is working great! Thank you again for the ideas.

Quote:
Speaker wise I would add Paradigm, B&W 600's, and NHT to the mix (I think NHT is building good stuff again). I got to listen to the Golden Ears on the CR crawl and they weren't my cup of tea. The highs seemed rolled off some and the midrange seemed uneven. Not bad speakers at all, I just think there are better ones out there in that price range. Still I would give them a listen in case they are your cup of tea . With your reaction to Dave's speakers I think you may really like the Paradigm's. They have some of that alive forward sound of his horns with a generally flat response. Great Rock speakers and with a good sub I would imagine they would be great for hip-hop (old man shudder). If you ever want to do a speaker listen some weekend let me know. Audio Labs and Audio Video Logic are both good about letting you sit down and play with the units.
I've looked into paradigm. The only ones really in the price range I'm looking to probably stay are the Monitor 7s and maybe the Monitor 9s. It just seems like I would get more out of some other brands. I'm not as sensitive to quality sound as you are. I still think my Infinity's sound quite amazing. The only B&W's I've heard were yours. While they sounded absolutely amazing, I feel that they were more musical speakers than movie speakers. I'm not sure why I felt that way. It could have just been the majority of the material you showed, your settings, your room, your preferences. I'm not sure, but I feel as though B&W are not my cup of tea as you put it.

Anyways, let me know when you have some time, you're welcome to come see my extremely cheap (by comparison) theater setup.

Quote:
Slarity, I know of a place that will swing you an amazing deal if and when you buy new gear. They are also very good about letting you demo stuff

Paradigm speakers have always been my best value for speakers. There are better brands out there but Paradigm seems to be the best value. As for the projectors you mentioned, I personally would recommend staying away from the Sony 55ES. For that money, there are better projectors out there. The Epson, well. Epson is coming along but they still make projectors that are disposable first to increase profits and try to make up for it with some great customer service. I'd suggest quality over quantity if your are in the price range. For the same prices, I would STRONGLY suggest an JVC RS-49 (pretty much the same at the x35).
As stated above, if I go Paradigm it would have to be there bottom end Monitor 7 or Monitor 9 series. I could easily be pursuaded that these are the right speakers for me when I hear them of course. I have not demo'd many speakers at all. My Infinity Entra/Primus setup, Andrew Jones Pioneer (non elite), B&Ws, JTRs, some Elemental Designs that I really liked, and some Polk Monitor series that I absolutely despise. Seriously the Polks in two different houses/setups I did not enjoy at all.

As for projector... I've recently seen a JVC X35 and Sony 55ES, about a month apart. I'm pretty sure I preferred the JVC by quite a margin. I have to do a little more research, I am leaning towards trying to get a PJ that has a closed light source. That way I won't get a dust blob again. Also I play quite a few video games, so input lag is going to be important as well. That is really the main reason I haven't already bought a 5030UB. The input lag is pretty bad and it's an open light path. I highly doubt I'll have the budget for it after moving, but I would love an Epson LS10000.

Quote:
When you do go to buy, keep me informed or simply call Kent up at Hawkeye Audio in Cedar Falls. He is always willing to extend the 'friends and family' discount to us Iowa HT members. He actually saved me several hundred dollars this past weekend on a small purchase and helped another guy save several thousand over the local AV store the week.... Which I owe Kimball a huge "thank you" too for letting us crash his place to show off his Black Diamond screen. Thanks buddy!!!! Kent and I owe you!
Not ignoring your inputs on speakers/projectors. I just feel the explanations I stated above will cover a lot of your input as well.

Cedar Falls is a nice drive from Des Moines. We had friends that went to UNI and went there a couple times a year. Would be neat to see other local AV shops. Honestly I don't feel I've had very good luck at AV Logic here in DSM. Not sure why, I just always feel like I am bothering them by asking questions, or I don't belong there because I can't afford $40k speakers or something.

Quote:
Slarity, once you get into the new digs and start running with the new theater build, I am happy to volunteer my labor as my work/family schedule allows. I worked construction for years doing the whole gamut and was also an IBEW electrician before getting into IT.
It isn't as selfless as it sounds...I also want the hands on experience before I begin building my own in a couple of years!
Haha awesome, thank you. I am probably still a good 6-18mo out before I'm doing any major work would be my guess. I just got my 2nd farily large promotion at work (out of 3 expected, 3rd next November) and think we are going to start getting serious about looking for houses fairly soon. Major problem being I have a few unfinished projects on our current house that will need done before we can sell our house. At least one or two of those projects require decent weather. So we won't be able to move until bare minimum spring. Also if you do end up helping, know that I pay in beer and grilled food.

Thanks all for the inputs. Love this place and this hobby.
post #4237 of 7545 Old 12-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What time should be all show up to your place? I love anything wrapped in bacon, including more bacon.
I will be rolling out of bed around noon so anytime after that is golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarity
Also if you do end up helping, know that I pay in beer and grilled food.
Fortunately for you, the primary commodities I trade in are beer and grilled foods!

post #4238 of 7545 Old 12-31-2014, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Back to enjoying my room with a working subwoofer!

deewan likes this.
post #4239 of 7545 Old 12-31-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
jeahrens, doesn't the WDLive play MKV files? I thought it did but I could be mistaken. If it does you can rip your BluRays with MakeMKV with HD-audio and play on your existing gear.
It does support MKV. But the space I have left on my current server could fit about 6 Blu Rays . It doesn't support 24p output, which I would want. I don't really want to go through the trouble of ripping the Blu Rays without an array of redundant disks to store them on. To much work to do it again if there is a failure and I'm lazy

post #4240 of 7545 Old 12-31-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Slarity unfortunately the guys at AVL have a lot of people come in and take their time to demo and then proceed to buy the gear online. Not that this should excuse the attitude. I've been going there a while. They know if I'm investing time to really demo something that I am serious about it and they'll be where I buy it from. So I've always found them easy going and friendly.

Describing the B&W's as musical is pretty accurate. They don't roll off treble like a lot of speakers, but the highs tend to be more laid back compared to something like the Paradigms (or obviously the JTR's). It doesn't make them worse for movies, but certainly different. I could tell by your reaction to Dave's setup that you're tastes are much more towards the more forward sounding speakers (and those JTR's are amazing horns). That's why I zoomed in on Paradigm and potentially NHT's. I have heard NHT is back in the game (they weren't all that great for a while) and if so they are certainly worth listening to. I took a friend from a car club on a speaker listening session and about midway through we listened to the NHT towers (the model escapes me). I think he listened to 2 tracks (one was Van Halen's Eruption) and he was sold. That was about 10 years ago and they still sound great. I've not listened to the Paradigm Monitor series, but I would imagine they are going to be strong contenders.

I would still encourage you to gather your demo material and listen to all the options. I had Klipsch horns for almost 20 years and B&W wasn't really even on my radar. I kept a log of what I did and didn't like about certain speakers. I eventually started narrowing it down and ended up with what I have. That's the thing about speakers. Everyone has qualities they like. Cheerleading brand X is pointless since the next guy may prefer something completely different.

If you are concerned a lot about input lag and a sealed light path, you may want to consider a DLP. I had 2 DLP's before the JVC (an Infocus IN76 and Infocus X10). You'll lose some color richness and the black floor is quite a bit higher. But the input lag is generally really, really low and they are very sharp. The cost is for a good unit is pretty reasonable to.

Last edited by jeahrens; 12-31-2014 at 12:23 PM.
post #4241 of 7545 Old 01-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Slarity unfortunately the guys at AVL have a lot of people come in and take their time to demo and then proceed to buy the gear online. Not that this should excuse the attitude. I've been going there a while. They know if I'm investing time to really demo something that I am serious about it and they'll be where I buy it from. So I've always found them easy going and friendly.
I worked with Mike at Best Buy back in the early 90s before he went over to AVL so I have known him a while.
I know he can come across as disinterested some times but that isn't really who he is.
He is always willing to spend time with me chatting and even just hanging out. I have taken friends in there who have no intention of buying anything on the level of some of their gear and he has happily set up the Everests or the big Magicos and let us have the back room for as long as we want it.

I am not defending them at all...even I have gotten a sense of attitude from them some times and I have spent way more money there than I ever should have. Hehe. But I think that jeahrens is pretty close with his assessment. They just get jaded demoing a bunch of gear only to have people buy online when they are more than willing to match most reasonable prices online or local.

Sorry...rambling. LOL

post #4242 of 7545 Old 01-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

I think you guys are probably right. Last time in there I wanted to demo the Epson 5030UB. He seemed turned off when I said I bought my current projector at Best Buy on clearance. Only thing I've purchased from AVL was my Denon AVR.

I think I'll obviously give them another try. Especially since I'm thinking my next set of speakers are going to be $2500-$4000. I'll have to demo as many as possible to figure out what I really want.
post #4243 of 7545 Old 01-01-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys! Happy New Year! I haven't been around for a long time but wanting to get going again. Why not, right?!

I started a new build thread. Come check it out if you want and provide some input!

The Watercrest (HT Revisited) Build Thread

Nothing too fancy and hopefully more practical for our family's use.
kjlewie and ZLTFUL like this.
post #4244 of 7545 Old 01-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarity View Post
I think you guys are probably right. Last time in there I wanted to demo the Epson 5030UB. He seemed turned off when I said I bought my current projector at Best Buy on clearance. Only thing I've purchased from AVL was my Denon AVR.

I think I'll obviously give them another try. Especially since I'm thinking my next set of speakers are going to be $2500-$4000. I'll have to demo as many as possible to figure out what I really want.
I have found that if you are just up front with them with your intentions, they will do what they can within their means to win your business. Audio Labs is similar in that regard.
I have been blunt with them before...most recently on my latest HT amp purchase. I was looking at the Rotel RMB-1585, Emotiva XPR-5, Parasound Halo A51 (used)...as well as a couple of others. I flat out told Mike that I was leaning towards the Emo simply due to the bang for the buck factor while my second choice was probably the Rotel.
He took the time to demo for me...answer questions and even gave me his rock bottom price. But in the end, I just liked the Emo more. He hasn't begrudged me my choice even after putting the leg work in.

post #4245 of 7545 Old 01-04-2015, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hope everyone had a great New Year! Quick question for anyone that can help. Recently introduced LOTR to my significant other so we were watching the 2 towers last night. Noticed no 'boom' in any scene.

Quick check of settings and eventually the cords highlighted an rca plug that broke off into the sub amp input. My other infamous kid "Not Me" climbed behind the sub sometime this week during winter break and broke the male rca tip off in the female input on the sub amp. I am going to get the tip out today but need to replace the rca plug. I am not sure how the wires connect on the inside of the plug. I looked at a couple youtube videos but they are not clear enough to me.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
-Rudy

Last edited by mlkmgr; 01-04-2015 at 09:50 AM.
post #4246 of 7545 Old 01-04-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmgr View Post
I am going to get the tip out today but need to replace the rca plug. I am not sure how the wires connect on the inside of the plug. I looked at a couple youtube videos but they are not clear enough to me.
The center pin is "tip" or positive, while the outside "crown" of the RCA is "ring" or ground.

The coax cables usually use the center insulated conductor for positive, and a braided outside conductor for ground. Some manufactured tables use a very fine braided conductor. If so, have fun soldering that!

It will should be more evident how to wire it once you cut off the broken connector and strip the wire.

Happy New Year, Iowa peeps!

Cheers,
SC
post #4247 of 7545 Old 01-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone here heard the Elusive 1099s? Reading through threads after threads about these makes me really want to here them (and possible build for the next theater).
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...os-design.html
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...sive-1099.html
post #4248 of 7545 Old 01-07-2015, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Has anyone here heard the Elusive 1099s? Reading through threads after threads about these makes me really want to here them (and possible build for the next theater).
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...os-design.html
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...sive-1099.html
For theater use, they are well worth the money. For music, I personally wouldn't build them. they aren't horrible for music, just not my cup of tea. But that's my personal opinion on how different speaker types are better for HT and music.

Since it seems are you thinking of theater use, I give two thumbs up!

Old Woods Remodel
post #4249 of 7545 Old 01-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Getting ready to build out my frames for my absorption panels (From this thread) and wanted to ask if anyone here knows where I can find semi-rigid roxul cheap locally in the DSM area.

Also just cancelled my order of a pair of Auralex MoPads for my center channel. Since it is unfortunately sitting on the mantle, it points straight and over our heads. I want to use the pads to decouple as well as angling it down towards our listening position.

We are thinking about doing the back wall of the dining room and living room (shared) in stone or faux stone. This will help with the diffusion part. We have laminate flooring which makes for a very "bouncy" room.

Last edited by ZLTFUL; 01-08-2015 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Cancelled order thanks to Dave's kind offer. ;)
post #4250 of 7545 Old 01-07-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 778
I have 3 Auralex mopads that I never used. Brand new. Let me know if you want them.
post #4251 of 7545 Old 01-07-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Getting ready to build out my frames for my absorption panels (From this thread) ....
Yay! Another person from Iowa found that thread. If you have any questions about it, shoot me a PM or post it over there. I have become the "resident expert" for that thread, whatever that means.
ZLTFUL likes this.
post #4252 of 7545 Old 01-07-2015, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...anyone here knows where I can find semi-rigid roxul cheap locally in the DSM area.
I have some extra, but not much. Maybe enough to do three poster sized frames. But I'm also in Cedar Rapids. :roll eyes:

If you would consider using regular absorption foam (as used in recording studios) I have two and a half full boxes of that!
ZLTFUL likes this.

Old Woods Remodel
post #4253 of 7545 Old 01-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For theater use, they are well worth the money. For music, I personally wouldn't build them. they aren't horrible for music, just not my cup of tea. But that's my personal opinion on how different speaker types are better for HT and music.

Since it seems are you thinking of theater use, I give two thumbs up!
Exactly what I was thinking. I use my HT for probably 70% movies, 25% games, 5% music.

Seems like a lot of people say the 1099s sound a lot like the JTRs. I loved dlbecks JTRs.
post #4254 of 7545 Old 01-08-2015, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking. I use my HT for probably 70% movies, 25% games, 5% music.

Seems like a lot of people say the 1099s sound a lot like the JTRs. I loved dlbecks JTRs.
If that is the case, then you are GOLDEN!!! For value I have no other recommendation. If you wanted to throw gobs of money at it or go with self-powered speakers with or without built in DSP then there are a few other options. But for a passive design, the 1099's are worth their weight in gold and outperform many of the commercial offerings costing 2x or 3x as much.

Old Woods Remodel
post #4255 of 7545 Old 01-08-2015, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
I have 3 Auralex mopads that I never used. Brand new. Let me know if you want them.
If he doesn't want them, I might be interested. What size are they and what do you want for them?

I'm about to dive into the eD LCR project I took over from @ecrabb before he moved west...

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #4256 of 7545 Old 01-08-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Although my gut tells me you will probably love these speakers, I have to recommend listening to them if at all possible. A friend of mine was heavily into the DIY stuff a few years back and we used to go to the all day listening/shootouts they had in Grinnell. Speakers I thought I would like based on the driver choices I sometimes didn't and ones that I dismissed I ended up liking. But if you can't listen to them, I'd say this is probably about the best blind buy you could ask for.

I would also still take a couple days and listen to what's out there at places like Audio Labs and AVL (and Hawkeye in CF when it isn't -900*). It's always fun and you may be surprised at what you end up liking. I certainly was.

Last edited by jeahrens; 01-08-2015 at 10:05 AM.
post #4257 of 7545 Old 01-08-2015, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Although my gut tells me you will probably love these speakers, I have to recommend listening to them if at all possible. A friend of mine was heavily into the DIY stuff a few years back and we used to go to the all day listening/shootouts they had in Grinnell. Speakers I thought I would like based on the driver choices I sometimes didn't and ones that I dismissed I ended up liking. But if you can't listen to them, I'd say this is probably about the best blind buy you could ask for.

I would also still take a couple days and listen to what's out there at places like Audio Labs and AVL (and Hawkeye in CR when it isn't -900*). It's always fun and you may be surprised at what you end up liking. I certainly was.
You're exactly right. I need to listen to more speakers, my experience is quiet small. I'm not sure I'm really cut out for DIY either to be honest. Just had fun reading about these speakers and figured I would see if anyone here had any input. You know spark a convorsation lol.

I still haven't finalized my design, but I think the weekend of the 17th I am going to tackle putting those TC sounds into new boxes. I'm pretty sure I have enough funds to safely go ahead and buy the iNuke 3000dsp.
post #4258 of 7545 Old 01-08-2015, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Remember when listening and demo'ing speakers try to stick to same-style genres. If you like horn loaded tweeters, don't spend time listening to soft domes. If you don't know what you like, then listen to everything until you start seeing a pattern.

After hearing many, many designs I've determined I LOVE ribbon tweeters, transmission line designs, and low velocity or sealed cabinets for the low end. That style of speaker fits my ear and is my best match to my taste in music and movie. If you like the JTR's, there is a chance you won't find much at local hi-fi shops to compare with the dynamics and sound signature of the JTR's or 1099's.

Old Woods Remodel
post #4259 of 7545 Old 01-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
PM sent! You're the man!

post #4260 of 7545 Old 01-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

I appreciate the offer on the roxul from the CR/Marion guys... I will see if I can find anything local (I know Lowes carries the non-semi rigid bats. But I would like a little rigidity.

I will try to finalize which posters I am going to have printed. @nickbuol just to verify, the OPs vendor still the best/cheapest quality option for ordering the printed fabric?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page