post #4261 of 7544 Old 01-08-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2065 Post(s)
Liked: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
Remember when listening and demo'ing speakers try to stick to same-style genres. If you like horn loaded tweeters, don't spend time listening to soft domes. If you don't know what you like, then listen to everything until you start seeing a pattern.

After hearing many, many designs I've determined I LOVE ribbon tweeters, transmission line designs, and low velocity or sealed cabinets for the low end. That style of speaker fits my ear and is my best match to my taste in music and movie. If you like the JTR's, there is a chance you won't find much at local hi-fi shops to compare with the dynamics and sound signature of the JTR's or 1099's.
I can somewhat agree. Though I have to say from my own experience it's always good to get out of your comfort zone and don't go into any speaker auditions with a preconceived bias. I've seen the same driver have slightly different qualities depending on the overall design of the speaker.

I had Klipsch horns for almost 20 years. I could hear definite similarities between them and the JTR's. The JTR is without a doubt far better, even though I would characterize them as similar sounding speakers. But I also think the Paradigms I auditioned have some of the same energy and forwardness to the highs that would appeal to people who like those traits. Even though the Paradigm is not horn loaded.

When I decided to go speaker hunting I had a preconceived notion that I would probably end up with another set of Klipsch's or a large planar (a friend in college had some Maggies I really liked). It was at Audio Labs after listening to their Magnepans that I decided since I was there I would listen the Paradigm Studios. That was the point I decided that what I thought I would like needed to be thrown out the window and speaker shopping should be like any major purchase. Set a budget and evaluate all options. Well OK not Bose.
saginawjuggalo likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 7544 Old 01-08-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
I appreciate the offer on the roxul from the CR/Marion guys... I will see if I can find anything local (I know Lowes carries the non-semi rigid bats. But I would like a little rigidity.

I will try to finalize which posters I am going to have printed. @nickbuol just to verify, the OPs vendor still the best/cheapest quality option for ordering the printed fabric?

Thanks!
Yes, Spoonflower is still THE place to go.

Do NOT use the Kona Cotton though that is originally talked about. TERRIBLE color - very washed out looking.

The 2 top contenders are Performance Knit and Silky Faille. Without getting into the good and bad... Both have GREAT color and black levels. PK has WAY better acoustical transparency, but it is stretchy which I personally liked, but some people (mainly people that don't take their time) found that the stretchiness made poster words difficult to get straight the first time. Due to the stretch, though, you can easily fix this. SF is more rigid, more prone to persistent wrinkles and creases from shipping (should come out with a steamer or some wrinkle release spray though), and is easier to get words straight, although if things are off-kilter a little bit, you have to remove the staples and start over since you can't just stretch the fabric straight. PK has more accurate color representation, but if you do movie posters that doesn't matter. I was trying to match colors in my room for my own artwork that I printed and I needed accurate colors too.

If you need any help with Photoshopping posters, let me know. I have done over 150 different poster images, and some of those multiple times to meet people's different size requirements. 24" x 36" is a good approximate size for posters.
post #4263 of 7544 Old 01-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Yes, Spoonflower is still THE place to go.

Do NOT use the Kona Cotton though that is originally talked about. TERRIBLE color - very washed out looking.

The 2 top contenders are Performance Knit and Silky Faille. Without getting into the good and bad... Both have GREAT color and black levels. PK has WAY better acoustical transparency, but it is stretchy which I personally liked, but some people (mainly people that don't take their time) found that the stretchiness made poster words difficult to get straight the first time. Due to the stretch, though, you can easily fix this. SF is more rigid, more prone to persistent wrinkles and creases from shipping (should come out with a steamer or some wrinkle release spray though), and is easier to get words straight, although if things are off-kilter a little bit, you have to remove the staples and start over since you can't just stretch the fabric straight. PK has more accurate color representation, but if you do movie posters that doesn't matter. I was trying to match colors in my room for my own artwork that I printed and I needed accurate colors too.

If you need any help with Photoshopping posters, let me know. I have done over 150 different poster images, and some of those multiple times to meet people's different size requirements. 24" x 36" is a good approximate size for posters.
Excellent. I may take you up on the photoshop thing...I suck with photoshop hehe. I have most of the posters picked out but need my wife to finalize the OK on them before I can run with em. I will let you know.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4264 of 7544 Old 01-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

So I swung by Mr. Beck's abode today to pick up those MoPads. And I can see why his theater was an AVS theater of the month. Gorgeous build sir! And thanks again!

post #4265 of 7544 Old 01-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Ya extremely impressive huh? I loved the hidden door idea. Something that seems impossible to get in pictures but really cool in person. Of course his gear and room design were all top notch.
post #4266 of 7544 Old 01-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Way cool. Pretty sure if we didn't have a previous engagement, my wife would have had to drag me kicking and screaming out. Hehe.

post #4267 of 7544 Old 01-11-2015, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
So I swung by Mr. Beck's abode today to pick up those MoPads. And I can see why his theater was an AVS theater of the month. Gorgeous build sir! And thanks again!
Glad you made it over Ryan and it was a pleasure meeting you. Come back when you can stay longer.
ZLTFUL likes this.
post #4268 of 7544 Old 01-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

So uh, giant awesome surprise at work today. A guy from work I met a couple months ago used to really be into HT as well. Apparently he acquired an oppo 105 bd player and has never used it. Today he brought it so I could test it out. He said he would take it back when the weather gets nice.

So I'm making room in my rack and going to test an oppo vs a Sony bdp s480, Xbox one, and maybe a Sony bdp s3100 (if I decide to take it out of my bedroom).

Last edited by slarity; 01-11-2015 at 03:31 PM.
post #4269 of 7544 Old 01-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

I have a 103 and absolutely love it. It replaced a Sony BDP-S790 (which ended up in the bedroom). Other than a 105D, I think I am good for some time on BDP.

post #4270 of 7544 Old 01-12-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I'll be curious what you find. I'm ashamed to say I'm riding dirty with my Sony 5100 in my HT. I got it cheap at Target, and haven't really gotten around to replacing it!
post #4271 of 7544 Old 01-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Nick my initial impressions would be your Sony is just fine. I'll be watching a whole movie and playing around with wettings tonight. I didn't have much time last night.
post #4272 of 7544 Old 01-12-2015, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Don't get me wrong...I love my Sony. I won't be getting rid of it in the foreseeable future. It really is that good. It will always have a place in my home somewhere...at least until it stops working. Hehe.

post #4273 of 7544 Old 01-13-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pssh I'm still rocking a Sony S550. With a cracked upper shell no less (bad firmware update made me have to disassemble it to get a disc out of it). I'm still holding out until I see how 4k shakes out. Unless I give into the Oppo. It's calling me...

post #4274 of 7544 Old 01-13-2015, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Watched into the storm last night on the Oppo. Obviously it looked fantastic. The movie wasn't amazing, but the surround sound effects were very impressive. Entertaining none the less.

I noticed there is a delay when you pause the movie, and hit play again. I'm not sure if this is intentional, you know give you time to put the remote down, or not. Other than that slight delay, the player loads BDs very fast and the in movie menus work flawlessly.

Have only tested 3 different BDs so far, but they all work perfectly.

My favorite thing about this player is its ability to flawlessly bitstream the audio to my Denon AVR. The Xbox One is incapable of bitstreaming, as was my old PS3. My two different types of Sony BD players (S480 and S3100) are capable of it, but they just don't work. The sound is incredibly low if it work, to the point I have to turn it up to +5db to even hear it at all. So somethings wrong there.

So far my impressions are the oppo is extremely nice, however, I think you would be better off buying a cheaper BD player and a darbee darblet.
post #4275 of 7544 Old 01-13-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 789
There is something to be said for buying a mid-priced BD player and an external Darbee. That combo does give you more options for the Darbee processing and if you pick right, you can get a BD player with good 4K up-scaling. The math I used about a year ago showed that a 4K up-scaling BD player and a Darbee cannot be bought for less than the Oppo 103D. So it's the trade-off.... Spend $600 on the Oppo 103D with some of the best video processing, Darbee and 4k up-scaling or spend roughly $700 for a good BD player with 4K up-scaling and then the Darbee external unit. Prices and technology may have changed since a year ago, but the prices aren't that different. It's all about which setup you desire and how strict a budget is.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #4276 of 7544 Old 01-13-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My main interest in the Oppo would be for the DVD-A/SACD playback over HDMI and it's other media capabilities. I could get rid of my old Denon and it's cabling and use the Oppo to play ripped Blu Ray MKVs (the WD Live won't do 24p). The picture scaling would be helpful with lens memory. When in scope mode it can scale down the image so you can see the menus of the discs.

But PQ wise unless the BD player is really crappy, they all look pretty close.

post #4277 of 7544 Old 01-13-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I've had my Oppo 103 for some time, now. Very nice piece of gear. I got it at discount, and I still think it's too expensive, though. In return for spending the money, at least you're getting what it is arguably one of the best BD players ever made. Even the packaging is a big step up over most consumer electronics. Still, $500 for a BD player is just a little silly IMHO.

Personally, I'd rather spend a little more on a 103 and get an external Darblet. That way, no matter the source, you still get the Darbee processing (and without any silly cabling or switching routing something though the Oppo.

I was using the old "fat" PS3 before I got the Oppo, so bit streaming always worked fine for me, and the PS would play SACD, too. I can't say for sure if there was any significant difference in picture quality between the old PS3 and the 103, but the user experience is definitely better, and of course the dedicated player is far, far more configurable, i.e. subtitles. Overall, I'm very happy with the 103, but I'd rather find one used for $400 than buy one new. I don't know why, but the $500 price just bugs me, even though it's a great product.

Support is another thing. Nobody - and I do mean nobody - supports their products, BD players or otherwise like Oppo supports theirs. Heck, they're still supporting and updating the LAST generation of products. Major kudos to Oppo for that. Oh, and they even stock PARTS!!! Amazing in this day and age.

Now, if they'd just ditch their stupid IP control scheme for something usable, it would be the perfect player.

SC

I'm a Home Theater Enthusiast with GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #4278 of 7544 Old 01-13-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree the high price does sting a bit, keep in mind the higher than average resale value of an Oppo. Saw a used Oppo 103D without original boxes and a dog chewed remote sell on ebay a couple weeks ago for $370-something plus shipping. I'm guessing a near mint unit like mine with all boxes and never used remote would sell for more. Can't think of another piece of AV gear I could sell and get more than 70% of the price I paid over a year ago.

Old Woods Remodel
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #4279 of 7544 Old 01-14-2015, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

The fat model PS3s didn't bitstream. That's what I had...

Via wikipedia
post #4280 of 7544 Old 01-14-2015, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post
Personally, I'd rather spend a little more on a 103 and get an external Darblet. That way, no matter the source, you still get the Darbee processing (and without any silly cabling or switching routing something though the Oppo.

SC
I took your advice and did just that. Very happy I did. Some of the video that the WD Live plays I can see the Darbee introducing some video artifcating, but it's very minor and only occasionally noticed. The vast majority of the ripped DVD's benefit from it. And any other source I add benefits from it as well. Solid Signal has sales on them regularly and it's the lowest price I've found.

post #4281 of 7544 Old 01-15-2015, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Just saw some pictures of a local home theater. A lady I work with, apparently her husband is on here somewhere...

It was a nice room with a custom 98" screen. Curious what type of gear it has, she didnt know much about it. Looked like B&W speakers for the rears.

Has anyone seen the e-shift on the JVC projectors? Seems like $1500 is a lot for a single feature between the X35 and X55.

Last edited by slarity; 01-15-2015 at 05:30 AM.
post #4282 of 7544 Old 01-15-2015, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarity View Post

Has anyone seen the e-shift on the JVC projectors? Seems like $1500 is a lot for a single feature between the X35 and X55.
I've seen it and own it. e-shift3 is a noticeable improvement over the prior generation. I'm gonna send you a PM.

Old Woods Remodel
post #4283 of 7544 Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just saw some pictures of a local home theater. A lady I work with, apparently her husband is on here somewhere...

It was a nice room with a custom 98" screen. Curious what type of gear it has, she didnt know much about it. Looked like B&W speakers for the rears.

It's a nice feature and the price difference isn't as much as you'd think from looking at MSRP. Look for Darren's PM. I think you'll be nicely surprised.

post #4284 of 7544 Old 01-15-2015, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

Hello everyone, I'm Drew, the guy with the local theater (Indianola). Slarity sent me a link to this thread so I'm curious to meet other locals and talk about av stuff. As for what gear I have from the above post, the screen is a 98" 16:9 Seymour AV, Triad in wall silver lcr's for the front soundstage (just ordered 2 more silver lcr's and 2 bronze lcr's to complete the surrounds, yeah!), Panny 4000 projector, SVS pb13 ultra, Emotiva umc 200 pre/pro, and Emotiva amps. Typical sources, Dish, Oppo 103, Apple tv, PS4.

Look forward to meeting people and learning new things.
deewan, thrillcat and ZLTFUL like this.
post #4285 of 7544 Old 01-15-2015, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Welcome Draden1.

Old Woods Remodel
post #4286 of 7544 Old 01-15-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Draden1,

Welcome. Any pics or a thread?

Audio: Marantz AV7702mkII / Marantz MM8077 / Emotiva UPA-7 for 7.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X
Video: Sony VPL-VW600ES & SI Black Diamond 133" 2.35:1 CIH for 4K UHD
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Mede8er 600d with Synology ds716 NAS (28tb), PS4, DirecTV
7. Paradigm Studio 20 v5 (L, R, FW), CC-590 v5 (C), Sonance VP63 (SS); 2. DIYSG DA HO 18" (4); PSA S3000i (3); 4! Infinity Entra One (FH), Sonance VP65R (TR)
Lewis Family Cinema 2.0, Lewis Family Cinema 1.0
post #4287 of 7544 Old 01-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post
Draden1,

Welcome. Any pics or a thread?
I'm not nearly prepared enough to have pics and had no clue what I was doing when we built the thing, so no build thread either. I'll post some pics soon though.
post #4288 of 7544 Old 01-15-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quit teasing us!
post #4289 of 7544 Old 01-15-2015, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought I would join in on this thread too. Im in the des moines area.

65inch Samsung h7150
marantz 5008
2 def tech bp 6's
ProCenter 2000
2 BP 1.2X and have two 8040 surrounds on the way.
Have a definitive pro sub but I think that may be the next thing that gets upgraded.

With the two extra surrounds I will be switching to 7.1. Will try them as height channels first then surrounds. We'll see how that goes. Excited to get them hooked up and watch some movies.
post #4290 of 7544 Old 01-15-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Welcome Draden1 and mendezm9! Keep subscribed to the thread. We do have GTG's every so often and love to meet new enthusiasts.

Would love to come over and see your setup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page