Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 7518 Old 05-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 206
After Deadpool I think we're in another dry spell for rentals for awhile. I may have to go back and find some things I've missed over the last few months like In The Heart of the Sea.
post #5403 of 7518 Old 05-14-2016, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
After Deadpool I think we're in another dry spell for rentals for awhile. I may have to go back and find some things I've missed over the last few months like In The Heart of the Sea.
Whoa....not so fast....you forgot about Zoolander 2 coming out on 5/24! It received a 24% Rotten Tomato rating...gonna be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5404 of 7518 Old 05-14-2016, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1640
Quote:
@Draden1 ,
If you have not seen, it is a decent flick with some good sound and LFE. It was worth the redbox rental.
post #5405 of 7518 Old 05-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Whoa....not so fast....you forgot about Zoolander 2 coming out on 5/24! It received a 24% Rotten Tomato rating...gonna be awesome!
Yeah, no way I'm sitting through that sequel. I enjoy a lot of comedies (especially dumb comedies) but for whatever reason the first Zoolander didn't do a whole lot for me. I know people put it up there on the Dodgeball/Anchorman level of funny but I tried watching it once and other than a few things, wasn't grabbed by it.

I did just watch The Peanuts Movie and was impressed with the excellent picture quality, and it was surprisingly entertaining. I see quite a few animated movies as my youngest is 4. The last one we watched was The Good Dinosaur which also had excellent picture quality but the movie sucked.
post #5406 of 7518 Old 05-14-2016, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Also figure I'd share that an open box 43" LG that I found last week is now my new movieposterapp display. I started displaying this app back in December with a 32" which worked great but I wanted the extra real estate.

The 32" is now our patio tv which works quite well as our internet signal is still strong out there. We use a Chromecast and phone/tablet connected via hdmi to watch on it. Best thing is the tv weighs only 10lbs and fits easily in the closet when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	1439602  
deewan and kjlewie like this.
post #5407 of 7518 Old 05-14-2016, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
Also figure I'd share that an open box 43" LG that I found last week is now my new movieposterapp display. I started displaying this app back in December with a 32" which worked great but I wanted the extra real estate.

The 32" is now our patio tv which works quite well as our internet signal is still strong out there. We use a Chromecast and phone/tablet connected via hdmi to watch on it. Best thing is the tv weighs only 10lbs and fits easily in the closet when not in use.
I've been wanting to do that same thing, but other priorities (oldest daughter graduates from Drake tomorrow morning, half of the student loans are in our name, and she is also getting married in 3 weeks, so I have zero spare pennies. LOL)

Looks great....
post #5408 of 7518 Old 05-15-2016, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 773
post #5409 of 7518 Old 05-16-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 2018
I know we talked about an Eastern Iowa theater gathering and I was willing to host. I just had a graduation party for one of my undergraduate lab assistants, and also graduated a PhD student, so suddenly, my plate becomes much more clear. I need to build a riser for my back row seats (and by seats, I mean a spare couch), but could host 3-5 people between now and maybe mid July. We could do a Saturday event, with some beers on the deck between movies, or a Sunday afternoon matinee.

Here is what I would propose, assuming we have enough interest...everyone bring:
1. There all time favorite BR/movie
2. one unusual/more obscure movie that has a great soundtrack

if some one had some great multichannel mix (Clear throat, Pink Floyd) we could have a little music before and between movies as well.

I have RAGBRAI (I drive a bus for a RAGBRAI team) in mid/late July and then a family vacation in August, and then the fall Hawkeye football season starts, so if I am hosting, it needs to be in the next couple months.
kjlewie likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #5410 of 7518 Old 05-16-2016, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Yeah, no way I'm sitting through that sequel. I enjoy a lot of comedies (especially dumb comedies) but for whatever reason the first Zoolander didn't do a whole lot for me. I know people put it up there on the Dodgeball/Anchorman level of funny but I tried watching it once and other than a few things, wasn't grabbed by it.

I completely agree with you. Of course, it doesn't help it all that I just can't stand Ben Stiller. Just not a fan. The Parents/Fockers movies were kind of funny, but I get the feeling he isn't really acting much in those. ;-)

SC

I'm a Home Theater Enthusiast with GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #5411 of 7518 Old 05-17-2016, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I know we talked about an Eastern Iowa theater gathering and I was willing to host. I just had a graduation party for one of my undergraduate lab assistants, and also graduated a PhD student, so suddenly, my plate becomes much more clear. I need to build a riser for my back row seats (and by seats, I mean a spare couch), but could host 3-5 people between now and maybe mid July. We could do a Saturday event, with some beers on the deck between movies, or a Sunday afternoon matinee.

Here is what I would propose, assuming we have enough interest...everyone bring:
1. There all time favorite BR/movie
2. one unusual/more obscure movie that has a great soundtrack

if some one had some great multichannel mix (Clear throat, Pink Floyd) we could have a little music before and between movies as well.

I have RAGBRAI (I drive a bus for a RAGBRAI team) in mid/late July and then a family vacation in August, and then the fall Hawkeye football season starts, so if I am hosting, it needs to be in the next couple months.
Your gathering sounds great. If you decide to host an event like that please keep us all in the loop. In the past for the HT Crawls, we have had multiple stops and the viewing/listening has been limited to shorter demo clips, not full movies. If my memory serves me correct, the first three crawls included somewhere between 3-5 theaters. The group would travel from location to location, receive some information about the room (design process, build process, planned upgrades) and then we would watch a few of the owners favorite demos. At some point we began using demo clips that others brought along, which I think was great because it brought new and different material into everyone's rotation. The last crawl in the DSM area was very similar, but because of the size of the group Dave divided everyone into smaller groups so one theater wasn't overrun with 20 guys. I think it worked out great. I'm guessing if we have a crawl again and there are more than 8 people we would again divide the group into smaller groups.

As for me, I recently found out I'll have some upgrades, but not until this winter. My processor will have an Atmos and hdmi 2.0/ HDCP 2.2 upgrade available in Q1 2017, my buttkicker amp SHOULD be back in stock by then (it's only been 5 months so far), I hope by Feb 2017 JVC has a 4K projector that I can purchase so Joel can buy my JVC for $1 and I plan on addressing an air circulation issue I've been thinking of tackling for about 1 year. So if we do a full HT Crawl, I would prefer to complete my upgrades so my room is a bit different than what everyone has already experienced.
kjlewie likes this.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #5412 of 7518 Old 05-17-2016, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Wow. Go Emotiva! That's awesome that they are going to update that unit. That just might be what I end up with to update the signal chain to 4K. And I'll have the funds in cash for the projector when you're ready or can Paypal them

Definitely interested in a crawl. Is the fall still the best time?

Also I'm still very willing to host a Hateful Eight night, but with summer here I wasn't sure if peoples schedules would have time to make it.

post #5413 of 7518 Old 05-17-2016, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

yea, my thought was if people brought over their "favorite movies" we could play 4-5 of the most dynamic scenes...but the HT crawl thing would be fine with me. Am I the only Iowa Citian?

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #5414 of 7518 Old 05-17-2016, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Am I the only Iowa Citian?
Unfortunately, no.
nickbuol likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #5415 of 7518 Old 05-17-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Speaking of demos and material, a new AVS member demo was dropped on the interwebs this morning. has some Atmos and DTS:X stuff as well as regular audio demo clips.

Reelwood Demo Disc 2016 (Atmos & DTS:X)
kjlewie likes this.
post #5416 of 7518 Old 05-17-2016, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
yea, my thought was if people brought over their "favorite movies" we could play 4-5 of the most dynamic scenes...but the HT crawl thing would be fine with me. Am I the only Iowa Citian?
I'm in North Liberty. Probably just as close to Kinnick as you .

My theater is a mess right now and probably several months away from being ready. We could possibly host a two theater mini crawl in the fall if you want (October 29th is an off week), or we could wait until early spring for a larger crawl including the theaters in CR. Or you can put your own together this summer.
post #5417 of 7518 Old 05-19-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My personal feeling is if we want a 3-5 room theater crawl with new, different or improved rooms we should wait for the spring. Sounds like IA_Hi_Fi_Guy has some upgrades in the mix. My room won't be any different than the last HT Crawl until this winter/spring. kjlewie is making some exciting changes. I think as a group we should wait for 2017.

Old Woods Remodel
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #5418 of 7518 Old 05-19-2016, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Agree, however, my theater is ALWAYS a work in progress. Still working on some room treatments, need to put the back row on a riser, and still need to finish the ceiling on part of the room. however, the theater is full functional and sound/looks pretty good now...but the point is, it will never be done. Since I do everything myself, it will take awhile and I do it as time and funds allow. After I do the above mention things, a speaker upgrade might be in order. Also, my projector is now 5 years old...

post #5419 of 7518 Old 05-19-2016, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I vote for a crawl sooner than 2017... easy for me since all I have to do is drive around and experience awesomeness. Mine should be done this fall and then I'd be glad to host in omaha.
post #5420 of 7518 Old 05-20-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Alert...thinking out loud...

I think the local "movie night" type of meet is a great idea, like Dave's SW:TFA debut, Joel's Hateful 8 idea or Elihawk's Sunday afternoon matinee and others that I can't currently recall. Seems like the single location, quick get together can be done nearly anytime the host wants to set it up - go for it. If you are local, interested and can make it...great. If not...next time, next place. I love the idea!

In my opinion, crawls are a bit different. They don't have to be, but they have been events or experiences that incorporate many aspects of our hobby. Yes, seems like there should be a group of 3-5 HT hosts (debuts and/or updates) with design, construction, or equipment stories to tell. In addition, we've amped up crawls with: blind listening sessions; 2-channel setups for the audiophiles; meet, greet and demos with manufacturers; equipment group discount specials with AV retailers; prizes (my favorite); and other stuff I'm sure I've forgotten.

Each crawl has been a blast whether hosting or as guest. With folks coming from near and far (some as far as NE, KS, MO, IL, WI...hmm, MN?), I truly appreciate the effort and time to plan and coordinate.

Sounds like I'm arguing for an Iowa G2G in '17 instead of '16. But, not really. If there are a few (fully operational battlesta...sorry) HTs with the hosts willing to coordinate the crawl, imo, Iowa G2G '16 is totally doable. Where we fall short is a crawl in CR/IC in the fall. I'm not certain but I don't recall many CR/IC HTs being self described as meet ready, not finished of course. On that basis, a CR/IC crawl should be a 2017 event, imo. But, I agree with the comment last month that we need a '16 event in Iowa. Our DM comrades may be in a better position for said event…Thoughts…Buehler...

Audio: Marantz AV7702mkII / Marantz MM8077 / Emotiva UPA-7 for 7.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X
Video: Sony VPL-VW600ES & SI Black Diamond 133" 2.35:1 CIH for 4K UHD
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Mede8er 600d with Synology ds716 NAS (28tb), PS4, DirecTV
7. Paradigm Studio 20 v5 (L, R, FW), CC-590 v5 (C), Sonance VP63 (SS); 2. DIYSG DA HO 18" (4); PSA S3000i (3); 4! Infinity Entra One (FH), Sonance VP65R (TR)
Lewis Family Cinema 2.0, Lewis Family Cinema 1.0
post #5421 of 7518 Old 05-20-2016, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great input kjlewie. One thing for a meet that could involve plenty of geek time and demo material, 2 years ago we held an even at Hawkeye Audio in Cedar Falls. Kent is currently looking to expand and have a second store in the Cedar Rapids area. We may be able to have an even similar to what we had in the CF store, but in Cedar Rapids. Anyone looking to upgrade for 2017 could get some deals as a few of us did two years ago.

I personally would rather wait until 2017 to host. Right now many of you have seen my current setup, so it would be old news. But come 2017, I could have a hole list of new toys to demo. Not to mention amazing new demo material from Zoolander 2.

Old Woods Remodel
post #5422 of 7518 Old 05-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 289
@dlbeck and I are so close to each other now that we can help each other out easily for being the final destination for a crawl.

That being said, I have only one wall of my theater framed so I am still using a living room setup for movie viewing but can demo to a handful of folks easily enough and also give tours of the theater space to be.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #5423 of 7518 Old 05-20-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Like I said, my theater is and likely always will be a work in progress, but it is functional now and if we have interest from some Eastern Iowa HT enthusiasts, I would be willing to host an event in June.

post #5424 of 7518 Old 05-20-2016, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I did just watch The Peanuts Movie and was impressed with the excellent picture quality, and it was surprisingly entertaining. I see quite a few animated movies as my youngest is 4. The last one we watched was The Good Dinosaur which also had excellent picture quality but the movie sucked.
There are Disney/kids movies with amazing soundtrack. Frozen has some very dynamic scenes and I recently rewatched the re-released version of Aladin...lots of really good content! Zoolander, yes, I think we can skip that one. You wonder who makes the decision to remake some of these bad movies!

post #5425 of 7518 Old 05-20-2016, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Like I said, my theater is and likely always will be a work in progress, but it is functional now and if we have interest from some Eastern Iowa HT enthusiasts, I would be willing to host an event in June.
I'm interested depending on date. Thinking that a couple of slightly older but still fun demos to bring along could be:

WWZ - Grenade*
HTTYD - Thunder and Lighting*

*I don't know if these are actual chapter titles; just what I like to call them

Audio: Marantz AV7702mkII / Marantz MM8077 / Emotiva UPA-7 for 7.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X
Video: Sony VPL-VW600ES & SI Black Diamond 133" 2.35:1 CIH for 4K UHD
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Mede8er 600d with Synology ds716 NAS (28tb), PS4, DirecTV
7. Paradigm Studio 20 v5 (L, R, FW), CC-590 v5 (C), Sonance VP63 (SS); 2. DIYSG DA HO 18" (4); PSA S3000i (3); 4! Infinity Entra One (FH), Sonance VP65R (TR)
Lewis Family Cinema 2.0, Lewis Family Cinema 1.0
post #5426 of 7518 Old 05-20-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the DM area kind of has the same problems. No big upgrades. Dave and Drew's projector updates are probably the biggest changes I can think of until ZTFUL gets his room done. I've just added a couple speakers. I'll be slowly going to 4K, but it will take a few years for me to get there. I think Slarity is still on hold for big upgrades while he figures out his house situation. Unless there are some DM area lurkers whom want to step up. I wouldn't be against hosting a stop if it is needed, but it would be pretty anti-climatic if you saw it last time (and it was probably pretty anti-climatic then too :P ).

A couple theater crawl in June could work (I will be unavailable 6/25-6/26). Deewan don't you have a different processor and speakers than the last crawl? Also Sassuki if this takes off, I'm betting you could park in DM and ride with one of us to cut your drive down if you wanted.

post #5427 of 7518 Old 05-20-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

EoT- open scene...
Battle for Los Angeles- several dynamic scenes
Godzilla, 2014- IMHO, crappy movie, but some incredible LFE
Oblivion, several options.

post #5428 of 7518 Old 05-20-2016, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1640
Barrel roll in FoTP.....Pulse Server Room scene....
post #5429 of 7518 Old 05-23-2016, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Deewan don't you have a different processor and speakers than the last crawl?
That is correct, I guess I did make two audio improvements since the last crawl with the new processor and speakers. If a Cedar Rapids area crawl is planned and another stop is required to make the whole thing worth while I would be willing to host a stop. But honestly I'd rather wait for the 4k and Atmos upgrades to be completed before hosting since we are simply talking about 8-10 months from now.

Old Woods Remodel
post #5430 of 7518 Old 05-23-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
That is correct, I guess I did make two audio improvements since the last crawl with the new processor and speakers. If a Cedar Rapids area crawl is planned and another stop is required to make the whole thing worth while I would be willing to host a stop. But honestly I'd rather wait for the 4k and Atmos upgrades to be completed before hosting since we are simply talking about 8-10 months from now.
Don't blame you. I was just checking that my memory was correct.

What are you thinking of doing for 4K JVC RS400? RS500? Something else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page