Forum Jump: 
 1178Likes

post #6001 of 7824 Old 02-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 314
And if you ask nicely, @theblackangus will let you flog the snot out of his car! (Not really but I am hoping to have the chance some day...heheh)

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 7824 Old 02-04-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
And if you ask nicely, @theblackangus will let you flog the snot out of his car! (Not really but I am hoping to have the chance some day...heheh)
Lol!

I picked up a 135is from 2013 for my DD/track car. The 1M is now a garage queen. If you want you can still go out and flog it abit tho =)
JCJetta likes this.
post #6003 of 7824 Old 02-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Saw a 2013 135is yesterday while out running errands...wanted to play with it but my wife said no.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6004 of 7824 Old 02-04-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Saw a 2013 135is yesterday while out running errands...wanted to play with it but my wife said no.
Well that wasn't me (mine is blue btw) I had the 1m out yesterday since it was nice.
post #6005 of 7824 Old 02-06-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2413 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
And welcome to car talk The C5 tires aren't real happy below 50* so it is in full garage queen mode.

I think TheBlackAngus needs an open house for us to hear the JTRs and to see where the speed limiter kicks in on a 1M.
slarity likes this.

post #6006 of 7824 Old 02-06-2017, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
And welcome to car talk The C5 tires aren't real happy below 50* so it is in full garage queen mode.

I think TheBlackAngus needs an open house for us to hear the JTRs and to see where the speed limiter kicks in on a 1M.
I still have alot of stuff 1/2 done. Hopefully sometime in the summer once I get more things near finished.
(155mph).
booms1ra likes this.
post #6007 of 7824 Old 02-06-2017, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
I still have alot of stuff 1/2 done. Hopefully sometime in the summer once I get more things near finished.
(155mph).
Hmm I want to believe you on that 155 MPH number, but I'm scientifically minded. So I believe observation is needed to prove the hypothesis

Pssh is there sound coming out of the speakers? Then it's done enough!
booms1ra likes this.

post #6008 of 7824 Old 02-06-2017, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm I want to believe you on that 155 MPH number, but I'm scientifically minded. So I believe observation is needed to prove the hypothesis

Pssh is there sound coming out of the speakers? Then it's done enough!
Your welcome to try to keep up at the track =)

So Im still 1 sub short, have some serious room issues to take care of, and want to finish my front wall better.
Then it will be "good enough"

And you all cant laugh at my 10 year old projector.
post #6009 of 7824 Old 02-06-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 735
@dlbeck , I'd be down for Deepwater Horizon. Need to visit this thread more. Been busy trying to get the house in MN ready for inspections and the moving crew. Moving stinks.

Typed on a little keyboard, excuse any grammatical errors.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #6010 of 7824 Old 02-06-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
I bought/watched Deep water Horizon this weekend. good flick...like a lot of action movies, well, it isn't going to get any Oscars. Solid LFE, overall good story and pretty well done. Not great usage of surround content, but I would say worth a watch/listen for sure!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
post #6011 of 7824 Old 02-06-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Your welcome to try to keep up at the track =)

So Im still 1 sub short, have some serious room issues to take care of, and want to finish my front wall better.
Then it will be "good enough"

And you all cant laugh at my 10 year old projector.
Pssh with my paltry driving skills you could probably out drive me if I had a McLaren. Still doesn't mean I don't want to test that 155 MPH figure in your Bimmer for myself

Well at least you have a goal in sight. My setup always feels a little "work in progress". I go back and forth on getting a second sub or going Atmos next. The 7702 really woke up the HSU, so it doesn't feel like a second sub is as crucial as it did.

post #6012 of 7824 Old 02-06-2017, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I bought/watched Deep water Horizon this weekend. good flick...like a lot of action movies, well, it isn't going to get any Oscars. Solid LFE, overall good story and pretty well done. Not great usage of surround content, but I would say worth a watch/listen for sure!
Not a good surround mix? I thought the complete opposite...seemed like the surrounds were in overdrive during th action sequences.
post #6013 of 7824 Old 02-07-2017, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Not a good surround mix? I thought the complete opposite...seemed like the surrounds were in overdrive during th action sequences.
You know David, that is interesting because my setup is pretty similar to yours and I don't feel I have anywhere near the amount of sound out of my surrounds as you do on the same movies.

Memory is fickle, but I keep wondering if they way your setup is done (with the motu) enabled you to get better surround coverage or if your surrounds are running a bit hotter than mine are by default. Thats one of the things I wanted to talk with DD about when I get him over here.
post #6014 of 7824 Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Red face Nothing Below Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey alpha View Post
Anybody up for an tour of Iowa home theaters?
I lived in Stuart (Guthrie and Adair counties) for 25 years, and have now moved to Ca. No offense, but I am not coming to Iowa in November, December, January or February (lol).

We will be there this spring for my wife's high school reunion, and we will be sponsoring a reunion here in Ca for about 30 of our Iowa friends this summer. Any of you folks who are going to be in Ca., and want to tour of my home theater are welcome. Wine/Beer/Scotch? Iowa Chop/Tenderloin/Rib Eye or Baby back ribs? Hawkeye or Cyclone?

7.4.6.2 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center), NAD (2nd set of surrounds), NAD (Top Middle, Top Surround), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #6015 of 7824 Old 02-07-2017, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Not great usage of surround content, but I would say worth a watch/listen for sure!
Just curious but what receiver/processor do you use? Have you ever dialed in your speaker levels with an spl meter in your main position? Without any other details it seems logical your fronts are running hot or surrounds are too low.....maybe both?
booms1ra likes this.
post #6016 of 7824 Old 02-07-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
I lived in Stuart (Guthrie and Adair counties) for 25 years, and have now moved to Ca. No offense, but I am not coming to Iowa in November, December, January or February (lol).

We will be there this spring for my wife's high school reunion, and we will be sponsoring a reunion here in Ca for about 30 of our Iowa friends this summer. Any of you folks who are going to be in Ca., and want to tour of my home theater are welcome. Wine/Beer/Scotch? Iowa Chop/Tenderloin/Rib Eye or Baby back ribs? Hawkeye or Cyclone?
Very generous offer there. As Klipsch fan I would love to hear those big horns some day. Alas no Cali trips in my future though.

Keep an eye on this thread. We've been talking about an Eastern IA crawl sometime this spring. It may align with your trip back.
Alanlee likes this.

post #6017 of 7824 Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Just curious but what receiver/processor do you use? Have you ever dialed in your speaker levels with an spl meter in your main position? Without any other details it seems logical your fronts are running hot or surrounds are too low.....maybe both?
The processor can make a big difference. The Integra always ran the surrounds hot enough that it overpowered the fronts, so I would manually adjust the levels. After running the calibration on the Marantz it hits a way better balance than either the Integra did or my tinkered with settings. The surrounds are much more alive without overbalancing. Not sure how it manages it, but I'm not gonna complain.

post #6018 of 7824 Old 02-07-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Well, compared to movies like Lone Survivor, 2012, Live Die Repeat and a couple Resident Evil movies, which have very unique and active usage of the surrounds... I didn't hear any of that with Deep Water Horizon. In fact, I got up at one point and put my ear next to the surrounds and there was plenty of content, but not unique and didn't stand out above the overall content. For me, it didn't stand out, but perhaps a second watch is in order
If you watch Lone Survivor for the first time, you actually look over your shoulder as the sounds from behind you are so distinct and clear. Ditto for 2012, there are scenes were 100% of the activity is behind you (not the most dynamic scenes, obviously). After watching DWH, I put 2012 in to see if something was different for my surrounds and with that movie, surround content was fantastic (certain scenes, at least). It just seemed to me that DWH was mixed to immerse you in sound and not so much to make you wonder what was going on behind you.
Btw, my AV reciever is a Marantz slimeline 1504, so Audessy room correction.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
post #6019 of 7824 Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
It just seemed to me that DWH was mixed to immerse you in sound and not so much to make you wonder what was going on behind you.
Fair enough, that's part of what makes discussing all of this stuff fun....subjectiveness! If you have any of the itch/compulsion that most folks have on this site allow me to spend some of your money. You may get a nice benefit from feeding your speakers more power. I did a quick search and the sensitivity of your fronts/rears are 85db to 87db and with the Marantz powering them they probably aren't getting enough juice to sound their best. Food for thought, and I do agree with you that the Lone Survivor surround mix has a lot of discrete effects causing you to turn/duck/smile.
booms1ra likes this.
post #6020 of 7824 Old 02-07-2017, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:

I go to southern California about twice a year (Los Angeles) but that is as close as I would get. Northern California seems like it would be a lot different (in a good way) than the "LA" part of southern California.
Alanlee likes this.
post #6021 of 7824 Old 02-07-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Well, compared to movies like Lone Survivor, 2012, Live Die Repeat and a couple Resident Evil movies, which have very unique and active usage of the surrounds... I didn't hear any of that with Deep Water Horizon. In fact, I got up at one point and put my ear next to the surrounds and there was plenty of content, but not unique and didn't stand out above the overall content. For me, it didn't stand out, but perhaps a second watch is in order
If you watch Lone Survivor for the first time, you actually look over your shoulder as the sounds from behind you are so distinct and clear. Ditto for 2012, there are scenes were 100% of the activity is behind you (not the most dynamic scenes, obviously). After watching DWH, I put 2012 in to see if something was different for my surrounds and with that movie, surround content was fantastic (certain scenes, at least). It just seemed to me that DWH was mixed to immerse you in sound and not so much to make you wonder what was going on behind you.
That's a good point Elihawk. I will definitely pay more attention to that next time I watch it. I remember thinking during the movie it had more going on in the surrounds than Maze Runner. Another great movie for active surrounds. Sounds like there are a couple other AVS'ers coming over to watch Deepwater Horizon so would be interested in their opinion as well.
booms1ra likes this.
post #6022 of 7824 Old 02-08-2017, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Very generous offer there. As Klipsch fan I would love to hear those big horns some day. Alas no Cali trips in my future though.

Keep an eye on this thread. We've been talking about an Eastern IA crawl sometime this spring. It may align with your trip back.
I bought the Cornwalls in Des Moines at a place called Stereo Sound Studios, which used to be located in Des Moines and Ames.
ZLTFUL and booms1ra like this.

7.4.6.2 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center), NAD (2nd set of surrounds), NAD (Top Middle, Top Surround), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #6023 of 7824 Old 02-09-2017, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I bought the Cornwalls in Des Moines at a place called Stereo Sound Studios, which used to be located in Des Moines and Ames.
I really like that Klipsch sound too, if I can fin a used pair of khorns I would put those in my living room.
Also GT's on ingersol has Klipsch Heresys in the bar for music =)
Alanlee likes this.
post #6024 of 7824 Old 02-09-2017, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
That's a good point Elihawk. I will definitely pay more attention to that next time I watch it. I remember thinking during the movie it had more going on in the surrounds than Maze Runner. Another great movie for active surrounds. Sounds like there are a couple other AVS'ers coming over to watch Deepwater Horizon so would be interested in their opinion as well.
Yep, agreed and also on my list to rewatch this weekend. unless my hardwood floor project takes longer than I think (not theater related)...
Another movie will really good surround content was Fury.

Any of you central Iowa folks fans of the Dropkick Murphys? I see they are playing in Clive on Feb 24th...

post #6025 of 7824 Old 02-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Any of you central Iowa folks fans of the Dropkick Murphys? I see they are playing in Clive on Feb 24th...
Yep, already got tickets and haven't missed them a single time they have been here.

post #6026 of 7824 Old 02-09-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I saw them about 5 years ago at Val Airs and then got the very fortunate pleasure to see them at the House of Blues in Boston in 2015.
ZLTFUL likes this.

post #6027 of 7824 Old 02-10-2017, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

My dream St. Patrick's Day is to see them live in Boston on St Patrick's Day.

post #6028 of 7824 Old 02-11-2017, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It was just dumb luck...at a conference in Boston in 2015 over St patty day. Gave a presentation on Friday afternoon, then headed to McGreevys for some cold dark celebration (Guinness). I had been there a couple times that week and had made nice with the bouncer...and if you don't know, McGreevys is owned by Ken Casey. Well, a van pulls up to take some of the staff to the house of blues and they had an extra ticket...and when asked, I say HELL YES!
ZLTFUL likes this.

post #6029 of 7824 Old 02-11-2017, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Anyone interested in hosting John Wick sometime before next Friday? I know a few of us are going to see John Wick 2 at the Dolby cinema, I'd like to watch the first one again to get a reference and revisit the story since I've only seen it once.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #6030 of 7824 Old 02-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

@slarity

I could host a viewing some night this week.
I think the Dolby viewing is falling through (AMC will most likely have something else showing in the Dolby theater) and there is a leaning towards the Alamo but the same movie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page