Forum Jump: 
 1087Likes

post #6901 of 7518 Old 04-30-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Wow. Busy weekend! I'd certainly be interested in a turntable comparo. Thankfully May looks to be way less crazy than April was. So if there's room I will stay tuned for a date.

Wakeoguy - I second Hawkeye as a bulb source. Don't be tempted by the non-OEM stuff. Kent is awesome to work with.

TheBlackAngus - we know you have multiple BMW's. Quit yer whining and get that laser projector ordered. You can go without the caviar for a month or two

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 7518 Old 04-30-2018, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Wow. Busy weekend! I'd certainly be interested in a turntable comparo. Thankfully May looks to be way less crazy than April was. So if there's room I will stay tuned for a date.
Post on this thread if the date works for you.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...g-session.html
post #6903 of 7518 Old 04-30-2018, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
TheBlackAngus - we know you have multiple BMW's. Quit yer whining and get that laser projector ordered. You can go without the caviar for a month or two
LOL!
Caviar.... yuck.
Besides, all the caviar money went to Jeff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6904 of 7518 Old 04-30-2018, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
My bad, I was asking about the show on Monday at the Cinemark.

Typed on a tiny keyboard, excuse any typos
Ahhh gotcha. 7pm tonight. It was the only night I wasn't going to be preparing for Lone Star Audio Fest.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #6905 of 7518 Old 05-02-2018, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for some input from the experts... I'll likely post over in the DIY section later, but wanted to start off by getting your thoughts.
While I am waiting for the Volt-6v2 to come in stock, I wanted to start planning my subwoofer(s) build.

I've read through the first portions of the VBSS and Marty threads. I will have 24" behind my screen, so I would have to modify the depth of the full marty a bit to make it work. Each sub can be up to 37" wide and the height can be up to ~8ft

I've also read through ENG-399's build thread of the quad B&C21DS115-4 drivers. It gave me some very BAD ideas.

What I'm looking for you guys, is suggestions/info on the current best choices for drivers or other obscene builds to read over. (18"+ drivers preferably)

I plan on building one to start, then adding a second behind the screen. Eventually, I may round off the room with a third in the back corner.

I plan on powering the first two from a iNuke-6000dsp. I'd stretch up to about 1k per sub, but would prefer to stay under that so I can finish some other projects faster.

Let the bad influences commence!
post #6906 of 7518 Old 05-04-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuzzTheFuzz View Post
Looking for some input from the experts... I'll likely post over in the DIY section later, but wanted to start off by getting your thoughts.
While I am waiting for the Volt-6v2 to come in stock, I wanted to start planning my subwoofer(s) build.

I've read through the first portions of the VBSS and Marty threads. I will have 24" behind my screen, so I would have to modify the depth of the full marty a bit to make it work. Each sub can be up to 37" wide and the height can be up to ~8ft

I've also read through ENG-399's build thread of the quad B&C21DS115-4 drivers. It gave me some very BAD ideas.

What I'm looking for you guys, is suggestions/info on the current best choices for drivers or other obscene builds to read over. (18"+ drivers preferably)

I plan on building one to start, then adding a second behind the screen. Eventually, I may round off the room with a third in the back corner.

I plan on powering the first two from a iNuke-6000dsp. I'd stretch up to about 1k per sub, but would prefer to stay under that so I can finish some other projects faster.

Let the bad influences commence!
Quite honestly I'd venture over into the KC thread and ask the same question. To borrow a phrase from Spinal Tap, most of their setups "go to 11" as far as bass is concerned. Excessive insanity at it's finest over there

post #6907 of 7518 Old 05-05-2018, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Anybody looking for a nice 16:9 106" screen or Epson 9700ub projector , I have a nice one for sale!
post #6908 of 7518 Old 05-14-2018, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Greetings fellow Iowans. Looking for a new rack. I have the following it would need to hold: receiver, blu ray player, UPA-1 (×3 but looking for a 1 or 2 more), and an LPA-1 (could remove if additional UPAs found), surge protection, n maybe sm room for expansion. Can always build a flexy-rack but looking for smthing little more sturdy n idk how well my wood cutting skills still are.

Any local options for racks or other options anyone can suggest?
post #6909 of 7518 Old 05-15-2018, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmgr View Post
Greetings fellow Iowans. Looking for a new rack. I have the following it would need to hold: receiver, blu ray player, UPA-1 (×3 but looking for a 1 or 2 more), and an LPA-1 (could remove if additional UPAs found), surge protection, n maybe sm room for expansion. Can always build a flexy-rack but looking for smthing little more sturdy n idk how well my wood cutting skills still are.

Any local options for racks or other options anyone can suggest?
I just bought one of these. If you're not touring with it and rolling it in and out of venues day in and day out, you don't need to go overboard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Racks...item4aa2984cbd

Dig a little deeper on the auctions though. The seller I bought from included 2 or 3 free shelves with mine. I ended up buying a second one for my office.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #6910 of 7518 Old 05-16-2018, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

We could easily get a couple more people over for the turntable get together we’re about to have on Sunday. If you are interested in listening to some good music and learning about turntables, go ahead and post here or the thread below and I will PM you my address.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...g-session.html
post #6911 of 7518 Old 05-16-2018, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzs22 View Post
Anybody looking for a nice 16:9 106" screen or Epson 9700ub projector , I have a nice one for sale!
mzs22, sent you a PM.
post #6912 of 7518 Old 05-16-2018, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
mzs22, sent you a PM.
@lizrussspike every time I see your location, this song runs through my head...

post #6913 of 7518 Old 05-16-2018, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1640
ZLTFUL, that is awesome! I have not heard that one is years.
post #6914 of 7518 Old 05-30-2018, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Welcome aboard Evil2018. I'll keep my ears open for anyone looking for a projector. The HW40/45ES are great units.

And since I haven't had time to post this, I got to see Solo over the weekend along with my wife, ZLTFUL and our friend Russ. Everyone really enjoyed it. If the VIII wasn't your cup of tea, I'd say give it a try. It's a lot of fun.

post #6915 of 7518 Old 05-31-2018, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The room is starting to finally come together with the recent addition of the B&C Subwoofer. I feel like I can actually start watching some newer movies I have been putting off for months, because I didn't wan't to "waste" them.
All that is left is to build new LCR speakers, maybe add another sub or two to even things out, and room treatment.
However, I wanted to start thinking about calibration. I picked up a UMIK-1 and quickly realized I was out of my depth when reading through the 200+ pg manual, and understanding a fraction of it, despite recognizing some of the words from Measurements back in college. I did run some initial sweeps on the sub and things did not look good, lol.
Do you guys suggest doing room treatments before having someone calibrate the sound? Or waiting for their feedback before attempting to add in dampening?

I know a few of you have mentioned using DesertDome to calibrate your rooms. I plan on reaching out to him here soon, but wanted to see if there were any other suggestions, maybe someone a bit more local?
4.5hrs is a long ways a way and I'd hate to have someone drive that far for such an unrefined room.
I am even okay attempting to DIY the calibration if there is a good resource you might suggest for learning from scratch.
post #6916 of 7518 Old 05-31-2018, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Regarding room treatments and AV calibration it's my personal opinion you should treat the room for the major, most common issues and then let the calibration (EQ) do the rest of the work. A completely untreated room has a ceiling for how good it can sound with even the best room EQ filters. The same room with some mild/common treatments has a much higher ceiling once a calibration is used. A room professionally designed with room treatments and then a proper calibration has no ceiling and can result in the best sounding space.

Do a quick search on this forum for the free tools (spreadsheets) to help determine what issues your room might have. Input your room dimensions and seat locations to find what frequencies may give you an issue. I initially used a spreadsheet to help determine if I should have more reflection, diffusion or absorption in my room. Using the free tools my previous room needed diffusion at major reflection points and roughly 40% absorption throughout the room. My current room needed reflection at the first reflection points on the walls. I treated the ceiling and floor first reflection points with absorption to help clean up the center channel and put 2" absorption on the back wall corners and all of the front wall. With no room EQ at all the room sounds pretty good to my ears, but I know it will be improved with a Room EQ. I'm waiting until I get my sub and possibly until I get the RMC instead of the Marantz processor.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #6917 of 7518 Old 06-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD S View Post
Has anybody built a theater without drawing blood? Hope you get healed up!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
I shot a 3" framing nail through two of my fingers on this one. The last one I cant remember exactly how I got hurt but I remember joking that there was blood on the studs for a truly personalized experience.
post #6918 of 7518 Old 06-08-2018, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Just wanted to pass along to the group I had a sump pump failure and had quite a bit of water in my basement as a result of 4+ inches of rain last night. Just makes me sick. For those of you who have visited, my entire basement 2,048 sf had water in it. Over an inch standing in my bathroom alone. Not sure the extent of the damage but pretty sure I'll be removing all the base trim, carpet, pad, Dricore. In the theater: carpet, pad, Dricore, stage, 4,000# of sand, riser to get to the insulation which is surely soaked. I am optimistic about the shell of the theater but time will tell.

Pretty down right now and I really don't think I have "Theater Part 2" in me if it comes to that.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Velodyne SMS-1 |(3)Emotiva XPA-100 |(2) Emotiva XPA-5 |Emotiva UPA-7 |(3) Crown XLS1002 | (3) JTR Triple 8’s | (6) Triad InWall Silver/4’s | (4) Triad InCeiling Gold/6 Omni’s | (3) Danley DTS-10’s | JVC DLA-RS500U | Seymour F130XB140.8” 2.40 | Samsung UBD-K8500 | Oppo BDP-95 | 4K Direct TV | Dennis Erskine Design (excluding ATMOS) | High Impact AV Calibration
post #6919 of 7518 Old 06-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Brad, horrible to hear this but I have faith that you'll be able to bounce back. I know I would be happy to help you out if need be to get things back together.
I am sure there are others too.
BRAD S likes this.

post #6920 of 7518 Old 06-08-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 773
If anyone is crazy enough to enter the analog world, I'm selling my Audio-Technica AT-LP120. Included is an upgraded cartridge - the Shure M97XE. Let me know if anyone has any interest.

Also, sent my Halo integrated into Parasound for repair. All fixed...no more static when adjusting the volume. Can't remember who mentioned that last time they were at my house, but thank you. Realized I could get it repaired (and under warranty).
post #6921 of 7518 Old 06-08-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Just wanted to pass along to the group I had a sump pump failure and had quite a bit of water in my basement as a result of 4+ inches of rain last night. Just makes me sick. For those of you who have visited, my entire basement 2,048 sf had water in it. Over an inch standing in my bathroom alone. Not sure the extent of the damage but pretty sure I'll be removing all the base trim, carpet, pad, Dricore. In the theater: carpet, pad, Dricore, stage, 4,000# of sand, riser to get to the insulation which is surely soaked. I am optimistic about the shell of the theater but time will tell.

Pretty down right now and I really don't think I have "Theater Part 2" in me if it comes to that.
Oh no! I'm SO sorry to hear that, Brad. That really, really sucks. I wish I was back in Iowa and could run up for the day to give you a hand with the cleanup.

Not that you want to hear any advice at this point, and you're probably already exploring your options... But, after a buddy had the same thing happen, we talked through all the possible failure modes and we came up with the following countermeasures to combat water intrusion in his midwest basement:

- auxiliary (backup) sump pump in case the first fails
- dual battery backups, one for each sump pump, in case of power outage
- sump water depth alarm (with local audible alarm and remote notification) so you know immediately if the water starts getting too high in case of power or pump failure.
- Have a spare sump pump handy on the shelf.
- Have a heavy-duty inverter on the shelf (if the battery backup doesn't have an aux battery input) and go grab a battery from one of the cars if the power is out for an extended period.

Given what's at stake, and the absolute nightmare of dealing with it (I'm so sorry!), and the relatively small expense, I'd employ all of the above.

I hope you can get things all cleaned up to your satisfaction without too much trouble.

Again, so sorry you're dealing with this.
BRAD S likes this.

I'm a Home Theater Enthusiast with GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #6922 of 7518 Old 06-08-2018, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

@BRAD S , sorry to hear about your basement, Mother Nature can be cruel. @dlbeck , are you totally getting out of analog or are you getting a new table?
BRAD S likes this.
post #6923 of 7518 Old 06-08-2018, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So sorry to hear that Brad. I didn't see this post before I posted last time...keep us posted.
BRAD S likes this.
post #6924 of 7518 Old 06-08-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
@BRAD S , sorry to hear about your basement, Mother Nature can be cruel. @dlbeck , are you totally getting out of analog or are you getting a new table?
New . Will let you know once I take possession of it.
Draden1 likes this.
post #6925 of 7518 Old 06-08-2018, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 604 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Brad, I’m terribly sorry to hear about the water problem. How frustrating. Can you file a home insurance claim and have some one do the repair work?
BRAD S likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #6926 of 7518 Old 06-08-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Brad, I’m terribly sorry to hear about the water problem. How frustrating. Can you file a home insurance claim and have some one do the repair work?
I hope so. I got the claim started this morning. Hopefully my “shell” isn’t compromised and I can just have a pro replace all the flooring in the basement including the theater. That Dricore will be a SOB to take up and reinstall since my whole basement floor except the bathroom had Dricore.

Watching Saving Private Ryan in 4K / ATMOS for the first time right now before I need to tear into this room any more. The movie is fantastic and I’d recommend a rewatch in 4K / ATMOS!

Marantz AV7702mkII | Velodyne SMS-1 |(3)Emotiva XPA-100 |(2) Emotiva XPA-5 |Emotiva UPA-7 |(3) Crown XLS1002 | (3) JTR Triple 8’s | (6) Triad InWall Silver/4’s | (4) Triad InCeiling Gold/6 Omni’s | (3) Danley DTS-10’s | JVC DLA-RS500U | Seymour F130XB140.8” 2.40 | Samsung UBD-K8500 | Oppo BDP-95 | 4K Direct TV | Dennis Erskine Design (excluding ATMOS) | High Impact AV Calibration
post #6927 of 7518 Old 06-10-2018, 01:53 PM

Mason City weather! We had just north of 12" of rainfall Friday and Saturday. Flashflooding all around town. 10 years ago to the day was the big flood where we lost 165+ homes!

post #6928 of 7518 Old 06-11-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
We got another 6" to 13" of snow in the Mason City area today. I think we are done now for the winter!

We are now at 25.5" of snow for the month of April, shattering the record 14.5" from 1945. Average April snowfall totals 1.9"!

We have had 39.7" since March 20th, the 1st day of Spring!
Quote:
Mason City weather! We had just north of 12" of rainfall Friday and Saturday. Flashflooding all around town. 10 years ago to the day was the big flood where we lost 165+ homes!
You have had quite the year already! What's next? An early Frost?

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #6929 of 7518 Old 06-11-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
You have had quite the year already! What's next? An early Frost?

Already had that early Frost! That was a really good day....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scott Frost.png
Views:	17
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2414834  
ZLTFUL likes this.

post #6930 of 7518 Old 06-11-2018, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Brad I'm so sorry to hear about the room. I'm sure you'll find a solution and be back in business soon. Your insurance should be able to work with you to get things back in action.

Over the weekend the wife and I watched The Incredibles in 4K. It's our favorite Pixar film and the new disc doesn't disappoint. A lot more nuance in the colors and details in the outfits. The Atmos track was very engaging, but had the Disney +7dB mastering problem. Not so bad as long as I know to work around it, but not sure why they keep doing this. Definitely the best this movie has looked and sounded.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page