IA Meet? - Page 238 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1086Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7111 of 7508 Old 10-16-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherW9 View Post
Well until I move into a house, I'm kinda stuck with just a 2.x channel setup due to a lack of space. I want to learn about and build a multichannel (probably Hypex 180's) amp, move to an HTPC with an audio interface for EQ, and add another sub for now. Then when I move into a new place, I'll have the amp channels and EQ ready to go for surround. I've had my eye on DIYSG Fusion 8's, so I'd like to build those for LCR and use the KEFs as surrounds. But that's a little ways off so who knows.
When you get to the DIY phase, hit up @deewan . He's done some very nice DIY speakers.

jeahrens is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7112 of 7508 Old 10-16-2018, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
 
CrusherW9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Good to know. I just used Duratex on my mini marty but I want to try a finer Duratex finish on the baffle and a darker walnut veneer on the rest of the enclosure for the next speakers I build.

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."

Last edited by CrusherW9; 10-17-2018 at 01:13 PM.
CrusherW9 is offline  
post #7113 of 7508 Old 10-19-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deewan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Central Iowa
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 786
I just noticed I had this email from JVC and I thought I'd share for anyone who was ordering a new projector. Guess I may not have both a new projector and new processor (RMC-1) by Thanksgiving.

I see the info has also been shared in the main JVC thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	2470536  

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
deewan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7114 of 7508 Old 10-19-2018, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
ZLTFUL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Altoona, IA
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Good way to drive the buyers into a feeding frenzy! But that sucks.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
ZLTFUL is online now  
post #7115 of 7508 Old 10-20-2018, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
theblackangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Anyone have any shallow or depth adjustable 4 post racks they want to let go of?
theblackangus is offline  
post #7116 of 7508 Old 10-21-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deewan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Central Iowa
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Anyone have any shallow or depth adjustable 4 post racks they want to let go of?
I don't, but I always suggest checking Craigslist for racks. The site normally seems to always have some racks. Check the surrounding cities too. I got my four post rack from a seller for CHEAP! The guy purchased a group of racks from a University of Iowa auction and was unloading them one at a time.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
deewan is offline  
post #7117 of 7508 Old 10-21-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrillcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 1,304
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Along those lines, you can often find a few racks at the ISU Surplus Sales on Wednesdays.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
thrillcat is online now  
post #7118 of 7508 Old 10-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
slarity's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Hey... miss you guys. Just letting you know I'm still alive. Hanging drywall very slowly because I don't have the funds to finish the rest yet. But still plugging away and not giving up on my next theater, I really do miss it. My projector just sitting in a box not being used anymore...
slarity is offline  
post #7119 of 7508 Old 10-23-2018, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
theblackangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by slarity View Post
My projector just sitting in a box not being used anymore...

You have my heartfelt symapthy.
theblackangus is offline  
post #7120 of 7508 Old 10-23-2018, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
ZLTFUL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Altoona, IA
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 289
At least you've GOT a projector.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
ZLTFUL is online now  
post #7121 of 7508 Old 10-24-2018, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
theblackangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
At least you've GOT a projector.

He gets my sympathy because he was victim of a disaster.



You, on the other hand, don't because your almost as slow as me in getting your theater together.

However on that note... you really are no where near as slow as me, I'm just sad.
theblackangus is offline  
post #7122 of 7508 Old 11-05-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
So those of us in DM have gone round and round on what is the "best" cinema in town. I finally got to see something in the Cinemark XD in Altoona (Bohemian Rhapsody). I'll give a run down on it and the Flix MX.

Picture: Flix MX

The CXD had a slightly crisper picture, but was it was shooting onto a much smaller screen. Also even with the house lights down I could see some fading at the edges and the dreaded red exit sign halo. Flix although a bit softer, has a bit better contrast and better QC of the venue.

On a subjective note the CXD is using what I assume is a Flat 1.85:1 screen and Flix a scope 2.40:1 screen, and the former doesn't scream premium for me. I know this ends up being something people have opinions on both ways, but I couldn't help point out to ZLTFUL the Ford truck commercial they showed was bigger than the feature film we were paying to see.

Sound: Flix MX

I'm confused how this is debatable. No Atmos and far less bass puts the CXD at a distinct disadvantage. I will say the XD is MUCH better than the side theaters which sound about as full as a cheap soundbar. The CXD sound that is there is full and balanced.

Seats: CXD

The seats are more comfy, though Flix has never had me squirming to leave.

Food/Beverage: Flix MX

Again not really a contest. Waaaaay better food/beer.
thrillcat likes this.

jeahrens is online now  
post #7123 of 7508 Old 11-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
ZLTFUL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Altoona, IA
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
So those of us in DM have gone round and round on what is the "best" cinema in town. I finally got to see something in the Cinemark XD in Altoona (Bohemian Rhapsody). I'll give a run down on it and the Flix MX.

Picture: Flix MX

The CXD had a slightly crisper picture, but was it was shooting onto a much smaller screen. Also even with the house lights down I could see some fading at the edges and the dreaded red exit sign halo. Flix although a bit softer, has a bit better contrast and better QC of the venue.

On a subjective note the CXD is using what I assume is a Flat 1.85:1 screen and Flix a scope 2.40:1 screen, and the former doesn't scream premium for me. I know this ends up being something people have opinions on both ways, but I couldn't help point out to ZLTFUL the Ford truck commercial they showed was bigger than the feature film we were paying to see.

Sound: Flix MX

I'm confused how this is debatable. No Atmos and far less bass puts the CXD at a distinct disadvantage. I will say the XD is MUCH better than the side theaters which sound about as full as a cheap soundbar. The CXD sound that is there is full and balanced.

Seats: CXD

The seats are more comfy, though Flix has never had me squirming to leave.

Food/Beverage: Flix MX

Again not really a contest. Waaaaay better food/beer.

CXD has Atmos and also, the screen is curved, not flat. Otherwise, you are correct on the factual parts of your assessment while the subjective parts, well we know how you feel hehe.

BAH! I told myself I wasn't going to debate this but here goes.

CXD: Annoying exit sign halos...
Flix MX: Annoying table lighting, annoying constant foot traffic from wait staff (I know...the dinner and a movie concept and all that).

CXD vs Flix MX: Sound...I could go either way. I wish CXD had better isolation as they still get some rattles out of areas in the upper right of the screen in high ULF scenes. Flix...I have only seen 2 movies in the MX theater so I don't have a great frame of reference.

For overall experience, I would lean towards Flix. But if I am going to specifically see a movie and am just getting some popcorn and maybe a beer, I will pick CXD each time so as to not have the premium for having food available.
Sometimes a brotha just wants to watch a mutha funkin movie! Ya dig?!

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread

Last edited by ZLTFUL; 11-05-2018 at 11:59 AM.
ZLTFUL is online now  
post #7124 of 7508 Old 11-05-2018, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
CXD has Atmos and also, the screen is curved, not flat. Otherwise, you are correct on the factual parts of your assessment while the subjective parts, well we know how you feel hehe.

BAH! I told myself I wasn't going to debate this but here goes.

CXD: Annoying exit sign halos...
Flix MX: Annoying table lighting, annoying constant foot traffic from wait staff (I know...the dinner and a movie concept and all that).

CXD vs Flix MX: Sound...I could go either way. I wish CXD had better isolation as they still get some rattles out of areas in the upper right of the screen in high ULF scenes. Flix...I have only seen 2 movies in the MX theater so I don't have a great frame of reference.

For overall experience, I would lean towards Flix. But if I am going to specifically see a movie and am just getting some popcorn and maybe a beer, I will pick CXD each time so as to not have the premium for having food available.
Sometimes a brotha just wants to watch a mutha funkin movie! Ya dig?!
Flat is an industry term denoting 1.85:1 the same as scope is used interchangeably with 2.40:1. I didn't mean physically flat. My bad for confusing terms. I should have just left the ratios in there. Also a physically curved 1.85:1 screen with a digital projector like they are using would be introducing distortion AFAIK. The only reason for a curved cinema screen I know of is to correct anamorphic lens distortion. Which obviously they don't have in the CXD.

The waiters are below table level and generally crouch. I guess different strokes, but I almost never see them. Also the food is generally done in the first 20 minutes, so I've never found it "constant". And the table lights are something I can tune out and don't wash out the film I'm watching with pink/red. Still if the table lights/staff bother you, it's a fair point.

Price we paid for the CXD was $24.36 for 2 at a matinee. 2 matinee tickets at the Flix MX are $19.52 (with tax and fees). What premium? For you living in Altoona, there is certainly a convenience factor.

If the CXD has Atmos I couldn't see where the speakers were and didn't hear it active when I would have expected it (notably the Live Aid sequence). They need to rebalance it. I never have problems telling the Atmos is alive and well at Flix. Sound was still overall quite good at the CXD. It came closest to the MX here.

* I should add that the CXD with the addition of the charming company of Mr and Mrs ZLTFUL is certainly worth it
thrillcat likes this.


Last edited by jeahrens; 11-05-2018 at 02:24 PM.
jeahrens is online now  
post #7125 of 7508 Old 11-06-2018, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrillcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 1,304
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
So those of us in DM have gone round and round on what is the "best" cinema in town. I finally got to see something in the Cinemark XD in Altoona (Bohemian Rhapsody). I'll give a run down on it and the Flix MX.



Picture: Flix MX



The CXD had a slightly crisper picture, but was it was shooting onto a much smaller screen. Also even with the house lights down I could see some fading at the edges and the dreaded red exit sign halo. Flix although a bit softer, has a bit better contrast and better QC of the venue.



On a subjective note the CXD is using what I assume is a Flat 1.85:1 screen and Flix a scope 2.40:1 screen, and the former doesn't scream premium for me. I know this ends up being something people have opinions on both ways, but I couldn't help point out to ZLTFUL the Ford truck commercial they showed was bigger than the feature film we were paying to see.



Sound: Flix MX



I'm confused how this is debatable. No Atmos and far less bass puts the CXD at a distinct disadvantage. I will say the XD is MUCH better than the side theaters which sound about as full as a cheap soundbar. The CXD sound that is there is full and balanced.



Seats: CXD



The seats are more comfy, though Flix has never had me squirming to leave.



Food/Beverage: Flix MX



Again not really a contest. Waaaaay better food/beer.


I’ll never visit the Altoona CXD again after the experience I had with the KISS in Vegas event. $25/seat and they projected the entire event in the wrong aspect ratio, plus the LCRs were inaudible compared to the surrounds - FROM ROW 3.

Comfy seats, sure. But come on. I complained to the projection manager 3 or 4 songs in (when Psycho Circus started - never got into that song) and they didn’t do anything. I emailed the next day and they were going to send some free passes, which never arrived.

I love FLIX. Great theaters, not to mention great food and a fantastic beer list.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
thrillcat is online now  
post #7126 of 7508 Old 11-06-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nickbuol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 3,182
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 845
I have been a big fan of Cinemark XD screens for about 7 years now, but have never been to the one in Altoona. All of this chatter about it's subpar setup/performance has me not wanting to even give it a shot when I am in West Des Moines for work twice a month.

Some spectacular Cinemark theaters (at least their XD setups) are the Egyptian 24 near Baltimore, which is a super cool theater that happens to have a stellar XD setup, and the Cinemark in West Plano, TX. This one has ALL of the bells and whistles. Keep in mind that the theater shares a parking lot with the Cinemark US HQ office building, so they have made it their ultimate showcase theater. Their XD screen and theater is huge, and everything is dialed in just right. (316 seats at the West Plano XD screen vs 168 in Altoona on their XD screen)

You have to google Cinemark Egyptian XD and check out the images of that place.

Last edited by nickbuol; 11-06-2018 at 12:44 PM.
nickbuol is offline  
post #7127 of 7508 Old 11-06-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
On the home theater front I broke down and got a Panny UB820. I debated a lot about whether to spend money here or save up and jump to a new 4K JVC with auto tone mapping earlier than my usual update cycle. In the end I just couldn't justify the expense of upgrading a barely used projector for several thousand that still throws a beautiful picture. I don't game or view a PC desktop on it. I don't sit closer than 2x screen height. So the native 4K panel is something that I'm not going to see a huge benefit from. Don't get me wrong I look for the JVC NX series to be outstanding and overall better, just on balance not the right time for me to upgrade.

Having said all that the UB820 lives up to the hype. The auto tone mapping works very well. I haven't played with it much, but I watched segments from discs previously viewed and really love what it does for the picture. Especially some of the newer Disney titles which look a bit flat. Over the weekend we watched the first Avengers in 4K. Except for a slight bit of red push in the mastering the disc looked incredible. If any of you are toying with picking up the limited run of RS540's for cheap JVC is offering, I really think this player coupled with it will get you most of the picture quality of the new models. Of course that's based on what little we know of the new models.
Draden1 likes this.


Last edited by jeahrens; 11-06-2018 at 12:24 PM.
jeahrens is online now  
post #7128 of 7508 Old 11-06-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
I have been a big fan of Cinemark XD screens for about 7 years now, but have never been to the one in Altoona. All of this chatter about it's subpar setup/performance has me not wanting to even give it a shot when I am in West Des Moines for work twice a month.

Some spectacular Cinemark theaters (at least their XD setups) are the Egyptian 24 near Baltimore, which is a super cool theater that happens to have a stellar XD setup, and the Cinemark in West Plano, TX. This one has ALL of the bells and whistles. Keep in mind that the theater shares a parking lot with the Cinemark US HQ office building, so they have made it their ultimate showcase theater. Their XD screen and theater is absolutely MASSIVE, and everything is dialed in just right.

You have to google Cinemark Egyptian XD and check out the images of that place.
Nick this is more of a throw down between what a lot of us feel are the best venues in DM. The Altoona CXD is certainly above average. The sound is quite good.

I just don't go to the theater much, so I get picky. Exit halos on the screen don't impress me. ZLTFUL and I did have a side conversation and they evidently do have Atmos. They just must not have dialed in to what I'm used to at home or at Flix. So I think you would be happy seeing a movie here. I just think Flix is a better venue overall for the reasons listed. And their beer is very good, which certainly doesn't hurt.

jeahrens is online now  
post #7129 of 7508 Old 11-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Draden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 206
@jeahrens , have fun with the new pick up, nothing like getting a new toy and having yet another excuse to go back through the library!
Draden1 is offline  
post #7130 of 7508 Old 11-13-2018, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
CrusherW9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Group buy on a 4 pack, anyone?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...community.html

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."
CrusherW9 is offline  
post #7131 of 7508 Old 11-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
mlkmgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Meskwaki Nation
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherW9 View Post

I just went with 8 JBL CS1214 based on conversation in the DIY section (link below) cuz of the simplicity and cost.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...932574?page=84

However, the marty flat packs would be a great buy IMO. i just pulled my first DIY sub (5.5 ft^3 box with 12" Shiva-X) from rotation and it is UGLY! It did its job but i realize i am lucky to cut a straight line! 😳

I still might be interested in 1 or 2 if I cannot get these new ones dialed. Have yet to run REW or adjust the inuke 6k in any manner.

Hell we could get 4 n be an Iowa distributor! 😁
mlkmgr is offline  
post #7132 of 7508 Old 11-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
mlkmgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Meskwaki Nation
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
...as for local venues, i prefer FlixMX. Can hear the atmos above your head. My girlfriend who isnt a theater buff even pointed out MX sounded better.

My favorite theater is in Broken Arrow, OK. Regal complex. Great theater overall and upstairs viewing (balcony and more intimate director suites) is limited to 21 and older. I drove there specifically to see SW: Rogue One and oh, i guess to see my brother too. 😁 Amazing sight n sound!
jeahrens likes this.
mlkmgr is offline  
post #7133 of 7508 Old 11-14-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmgr View Post
...as for local venues, i prefer FlixMX. Can hear the atmos above your head. My girlfriend who isnt a theater buff even pointed out MX sounded better.

My favorite theater is in Broken Arrow, OK. Regal complex. Great theater overall and upstairs viewing (balcony and more intimate director suites) is limited to 21 and older. I drove there specifically to see SW: Rogue One and oh, i guess to see my brother too. 😁 Amazing sight n sound!
That sounds like an awesome theater.

P.S. since I don't think I've seen you posting in here, welcome aboard! (or if I have I sacrificed that brain cell to bourbon recently)

jeahrens is online now  
post #7134 of 7508 Old 11-14-2018, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
theblackangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherW9 View Post

Yeah I would be down for 2.
However it looks like they will be making full marty packs as well.
I would prefer to get the full marty assuming the depth is still 23.5"


You have any thoughts on that?


We could reach out and see how far out the full martys are.

Last edited by theblackangus; 11-14-2018 at 05:51 PM.
theblackangus is offline  
post #7135 of 7508 Old 11-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Senior Member
 
CrusherW9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Yeah I would be down for 2.
However it looks like they will be making full marty packs as well.
I would prefer to get the full marty assuming the depth is still 23.5"


You have any thoughts on that?


We could reach out and see how far out the full martys are.
This is kind of dumb, but I already have one mini-marty and I'd like them to match. Maybe they'd be willing to do 2 minis and 2 fulls or 3/1. I'd be fine with waiting, though.

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."
CrusherW9 is offline  
post #7136 of 7508 Old 11-15-2018, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
theblackangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherW9 View Post
This is kind of dumb, but I already have one mini-marty and I'd like them to match. Maybe they'd be willing to do 2 minis and 2 fulls or 3/1. I'd be fine with waiting, though.

Cool totally understand that.
It appears (from the forum posts) that the fulls should be out soon.
I'll give them a call about a 50/50 split or 1/3 split and see what they say.
If not I can "make do" with the mini martys

Sound like a plan?
Know anyone with a loading doc we can ship to to eliminate some cost?

Last edited by theblackangus; 11-15-2018 at 05:40 AM.
theblackangus is offline  
post #7137 of 7508 Old 11-15-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Cool totally understand that.
It appears (from the forum posts) that the fulls should be out soon.
I'll give them a call about a 50/50 split or 1/3 split and see what they say.
If not I can "make do" with the mini martys

Sound like a plan?
Know anyone with a loading doc we can ship to to eliminate some cost?
Don't you have a projector to buy? Or do you need that Panny to get so dim it looks like shadow puppets moving on the wall before you replace it?

jeahrens is online now  
post #7138 of 7508 Old 11-15-2018, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deewan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Central Iowa
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 786
@theblackangus @CrusherW9 and others looking into the DIY subwoofer flat packs. If I remember correctly we have a fellow IA thread member (and a friend) who has a CNC machine. I recall him mentioning he was willing to cut flat packs of several of the main sub designs (marty's may have been one of the designs). Might be a bit cheaper without shipping involved. Basically pay for materials and some setup and cut time. Just thought I'd give you possible another option.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
deewan is offline  
post #7139 of 7508 Old 11-15-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deewan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Central Iowa
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Don't you have a projector to buy? Or do you need that Panny to get so dim it looks like shadow puppets moving on the wall before you replace it?
He said he would buy my JVC DLA-X790 with the Joel discount. Total sale price, $1. I just need new JVC to show up at my doorstep first.

Actual footage of the $1 sale transaction:

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
deewan is offline  
post #7140 of 7508 Old 11-15-2018, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
theblackangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Don't you have a projector to buy? Or do you need that Panny to get so dim it looks like shadow puppets moving on the wall before you replace it?
Yes, but I also have 2 UXL-18's waiting for me to get this done. Besides its a drop in the bucket compared to the PJ. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
@theblackangus @CrusherW9 and others looking into the DIY subwoofer flat packs. If I remember correctly we have a fellow IA thread member (and a friend) who has a CNC machine. I recall him mentioning he was willing to cut flat packs of several of the main sub designs (marty's may have been one of the designs). Might be a bit cheaper without shipping involved. Basically pay for materials and some setup and cut time. Just thought I'd give you possible another option.

Thanks Deewan! Have you looked at the GSG packs? They are engineered very well for how they fit easily together, much better than the standard Marty templates.
I'm willing to pay a bit more but get a clever product and help out the AVS DIY team! =) Its still cheap by comparison to a new sub.
theblackangus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off