Forum Jump: 
 1087Likes

Old 01-23-2019, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 289
As for finishing subs, once you Duratex it, go to Lowe's and ask them for a gallon of "theater paint". It is a matte black paint and primer in one. I did that to my subs as well as my JTRs and they have virtually zero gloss to them at all.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread

Last edited by ZLTFUL; 01-23-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 116
If you're gonna paint over the Duratex, might as well just use the theater paint from the beginning. Duratex is $70/gallon

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."
Old 01-23-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
My screen is 10' wide too, with a seating distance of 12.5" to MLP. Not ideal but pretty close.

Does the NX stretch the image to use full width? I though you needed an A-lens for that?
Nope, it will scale material linearly to fit the panel. Cutting off the top while expanding horizontally. I think someone called it mode D.

You still don't get the whole panel, so a lens is going offer even more light output. But I'm exited for it. It will be a noticeable boost in light output for those zooming. I'll use it for everything except TV and 1.85:1 AR material (since this is the only material the 1.9:1 panel would crop), so 2.0:1, 2.20:1 and 2.40:1.

Last edited by jeahrens; 01-23-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherW9 View Post
If you're gonna paint over the Duratex, might as well just use the theater paint from the beginning. Duratex is $70/gallon
Duratex and Restore 10X layer a lot heavier per coat and are textured to boot. The paint is standard latex paint and would take a dozen coats or more to provide the amount of protection Duratex and Restore 10X do.

But then to each their own. I wanted a durable finish with a more muted gloss.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
I'm excited to announce that I now have local stock not only in Kansas City, Omaha, & St. Louis, but now also in Des Moines (Grimes). All Sony and JVC projectors I sell include free calibration for customers in the Des Moines area. My Colorimetry Research meters (colorimeter and spectroradiometer) are getting a fresh NIST* certification this week at the Colorimetry Research facility in Santa Clarita, CA. I hope to have them back soon for Super Bowl calibrations and the incoming batch of JVC DLA-NX7 projectors. I will be testing an NX7 and it will be looking for a caring home after I'm done.

*All our instruments are calibrated using NIST traceable calibration standards at a color temperature of 2856 Kelvins. This is a standard calibration method used by most spectroradiometer manufacturers. In addition to the NIST traceable calibration standards we take pride in having developed proprietary Calibration and Quality Assurance processes that require a laboratory grade scanning double monochromator and high accuracy filters of known transmittance and chromaticity. Essentially, no other spectroradiometers are used during manufacturing and Q.A. because none of them are as accurate as a laboratory grade scanning double monochromator. The CR-250-RH, when compared with most of the high end spectroradiometers in the market, has been found to be on par or to exceed in accuracy and performance.
BRAD S likes this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
Old 01-29-2019, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Just ordered two GSG Full Marty's for the UXL-18's.
One more thing off the list.
ZLTFUL and CrusherW9 like this.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just ordered two GSG Full Marty's for the UXL-18's.
One more thing off the list.
You know when I was watching milky grey/white Batman I was thinking: "gosh with over 4000 watts and really capable speakers you really need to work on the audio"

OK, OK. That will be awesome. I'll quit poking fun at the projector... for a little while.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
You know when I was watching milky grey/white Batman I was thinking: "gosh with over 4000 watts and really capable speakers you really need to work on the audio"

OK, OK. That will be awesome. I'll quit poking fun at the projector... for a little while.
I really feel like getting an old CRT projector and a 4:3 screen in my theater just to REALLY tweak Joel's nipples.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
I really feel like getting an old CRT projector and a 4:3 screen in my theater just to REALLY tweak Joel's nipples.
The blacks would be AMAZING! Lumens not so much. Just don't get the screen into annoying levels of vertical immersion and I'm down. I can bring over Seven Samurai. Go for the Sony G90 and make Russ install it

Old 02-01-2019, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post

It's just not quite as strong as I want under 20hz =)

On the projector note, I bought a new lamp for the Panasonic, I figure even if I get a NX5/7 it will still not go to waste (Use it for my computer or driving sim or something).

By all means keep poking fun at the projector... I need it or I'll just be miserly and keep the Panasonic until it dies =)

You saw my basement storage area, I run a retirement community for old tech =)

Last edited by theblackangus; 02-01-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Getcha one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
theblackangus likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Old 02-01-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
It's just not quite as strong as I want under 20hz =)
With the current setup or with the new full marties? What kind of extension is your goal?

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."
Old 02-01-2019, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
With the current setup or with the new full marties? What kind of extension is your goal?

Well that was kind of poking fun at Jeaherns on the bad projector stuff.
Im really trying to hit 115 DB at 15ish hz, as I can already hit about 110ish at 20-120 with the 215's w/o issue and realistically hit up to 120db with my current amplification but it just too loud at that point. So the Marties are just going to extend the very low end.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The theater in Humboldt is giving away its seats this weekend, if anyone has interest.

My row of 4 from the Merle Hay Mall Cinema make a great row of overflow seating.

https://whotv.com/2019/02/08/humbold...-this-weekend/

nickbuol likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Signed a lease for a house starting in August! Going to finally have room to get a small surround setup going (I'm just 2.2 right now) but perhaps even more importantly, I'll have a ton of room to build stuff!

Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Signed a lease for a house starting in August! Going to finally have room to get a small surround setup going (I'm just 2.2 right now) but perhaps even more importantly, I'll have a ton of room to build stuff!
It just so happens you are in a thread full of people more than happy to help you fill that space with AV gear

Congrats!

Old 02-15-2019, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I'm excited to announce that I now have local stock not only in Kansas City, Omaha, & St. Louis, but now also in Des Moines (Grimes). All Sony and JVC projectors I sell include free calibration for customers in the Des Moines area. My Colorimetry Research meters (colorimeter and spectroradiometer) are getting a fresh NIST* certification this week at the Colorimetry Research facility in Santa Clarita, CA. I hope to have them back soon for Super Bowl calibrations and the incoming batch of JVC DLA-NX7 projectors. I will be testing an NX7 and it will be looking for a caring home after I'm done.

*All our instruments are calibrated using NIST traceable calibration standards at a color temperature of 2856 Kelvins. This is a standard calibration method used by most spectroradiometer manufacturers. In addition to the NIST traceable calibration standards we take pride in having developed proprietary Calibration and Quality Assurance processes that require a laboratory grade scanning double monochromator and high accuracy filters of known transmittance and chromaticity. Essentially, no other spectroradiometers are used during manufacturing and Q.A. because none of them are as accurate as a laboratory grade scanning double monochromator. The CR-250-RH, when compared with most of the high end spectroradiometers in the market, has been found to be on par or to exceed in accuracy and performance.

Just curious DD - Was the NX7 you got w/o flaws or have you run into some of the problems others are reporting?

Also since you now have a place here in DM, does that mean the gear is delivered there on pallet and we can pick it up directly w/o having to ship it?

Last edited by theblackangus; 02-16-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Back on the GSG subject... mine are shipping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GSGimage1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	2529040  
nickbuol and Draden1 like this.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Back on the GSG subject... mine are shipping!

They have now arrived =)

Excitement!
thrillcat and EastMo40 like this.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

CrusherW8 or ZLTFUL - How much Duratex did you use to cover your subs?

And what sqft did that cover?
I guess I need to cover 40sqdt per sub? (Each side is 8sq ft top and bottom are 4 sqft.)
Old 03-02-2019, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

I used Restore 10x from Lowe’s. It is sandier than Duratex but 1 gallon of that and 1 gallon of flat black interior latex paint/primer did all 6 subs, all 6 Volt 8LXs and all 4 Volt 6LXs with a bit left over.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:59 PM

I tried to get away with a single quart for my first one and ended up having to buy more so I got a gallon. After finishing the first sub and painting the second, I think I have about half the gallon left.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I tried to get away with a single quart for my first one and ended up having to buy more so I got a gallon. After finishing the first sub and painting the second, I think I have about half the gallon left.

hmmm I was going to buy a gallon thinking that would cover my 2 FM's.
Sounds like it may be just shy.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:59 PM

Got a club on campus to fund a VBSS style build so it looks like I'll be building one of those in the next month or so. I don't have any more amp or EQ channels so for now it'll just be a test to see how a high sensitivity driver sounds compared to my low sensitivity Ultimaxes (it'll be slot ported and tuned to ~35-40hz). But if I like it, I'll know what direction to go in the future. And at this point, I'm nearly out of floor space so I may need to start stacking subs

Last edited by CrusherW9; 03-04-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Got a club on campus to fund a VBSS style build so it looks like I'll be building one of those in the next month or so. I don't have any more amp or EQ channels so for now it'll just be a test to see how a high sensitivity driver sounds compared to my low sensitivity Ultimaxes (it'll be slot ported and tuned to ~35-40hz). But if I like it, I'll know what direction to go in the future. And at this point, I'm nearly out of floor space so I may need to start stacking subs

What is VBSS?
Old 03-05-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
What is VBSS?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...gn-thread.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...m-w-pa460.html

Old 03-11-2019, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

The Duratex is ordered and the builds begun.

Photos to follow.
The build is super easy with the kits, maybe 2 man hours in total to put it completely together and possible another 30 min to paint.

The quality is great they fit together like a glove and as a bonus I got a sunflower seed strait from HQ =)
EastMo40 likes this.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Haven’t watched many movies recently but I did finally see Spider-Man - Spider-verse, I must say it was fascinating. Most entertaining Spider-Man movie yet (by far), any movie that let’s us have quirky/oddball Nicholas Cage I’m in for. Picture/sound were great, I imagine the 4K must be excellent for all you 4k’ers out there.

@theblackangus , how’s the build going?

Last edited by Draden1; 03-23-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wilco and I watched that Spiderverse movie streaming and I was impressed all the way around - image, sound and movie. That being said, I still missed about a third of it when I fell asleep. I was pretty exhausted, not bored.

Good thing I bought the VUDU disc to digital version and the UHD disc arrived last week. So I can watch again with disc quality.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, I watched Mortal Engines the other night and everything about that disc is 5+ Stars, except for the movie itself. Not terrible, but so incredibly predictable.

It’s definitely demo material tho.

ZLTFUL likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement