post #7321 of 7512 Old 03-23-2019, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Also, I watched Mortal Engines the other night and everything about that disc is 5+ Stars, except for the movie itself. Not terrible, but so incredibly predictable.

It’s definitely demo material tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally agree on Mortal Engines. Watched it last night.
thrillcat likes this.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7512 Old 03-25-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
We watched both of the Fantastic Beasts movies back to back over the weekend. The second looks very nice, but surprisingly the sound was a bit less dynamic than the first film. I gave it a slight volume bump, but probably should have gave it a bit more. The extended footage in Crimes of Grindelwald was a welcome addition for us. I thought it made the film flow better . So if you're a fan of the Potterverse I recommend the 4K extended cut of Crimes of Grindelwald.

Haven't watched Into the Spiderverse on disc yet, but it should be amazing. It really popped in the theater and should only be that much better in HDR at home.

post #7323 of 7512 Old 03-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
We watched both of the Fantastic Beasts movies back to back over the weekend. The second looks very nice, but surprisingly the sound was a bit less dynamic than the first film. I gave it a slight volume bump, but probably should have gave it a bit more. The extended footage in Crimes of Grindelwald was a welcome addition for us. I thought it made the film flow better . So if you're a fan of the Potterverse I recommend the 4K extended cut of Crimes of Grindelwald.

Haven't watched Into the Spiderverse on disc yet, but it should be amazing. It really popped in the theater and should only be that much better in HDR at home.
Hey! Watch the wear and tear on that projector will ya?!? ;-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7324 of 7512 Old 03-26-2019, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Speaking of wear and tear, don't buy bonded leather....ever. My seating has been peeling/flaking in the seat and head areas for about a year and I've finally had it and went out and bought leather. Not sure what people's expectations are for furniture but mine are more than 9 years before the fabric disintegrates.

My front row (3 seats) is now leather and I will soon be replacing my back row with 3 rocker style theater chairs (fabric). The rockers have a shallower depth than my current seats so gaining a little extra space on my riser will be welcome.
post #7325 of 7512 Old 03-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Speaking of wear and tear, don't buy bonded leather....ever. My seating has been peeling/flaking in the seat and head areas for about a year and I've finally had it and went out and bought leather. Not sure what people's expectations are for furniture but mine are more than 9 years before the fabric disintegrates.

My front row (3 seats) is now leather and I will soon be replacing my back row with 3 rocker style theater chairs (fabric). The rockers have a shallower depth than my current seats so gaining a little extra space on my riser will be welcome.
We debated on doing the second row with rocker theater seats but in the end, my wife wants each guest to have the same level of comfort. Me...I am greedy and just want the sweet spot to be nice, y'all be danged!

post #7326 of 7512 Old 03-26-2019, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
We debated on doing the second row with rocker theater seats but in the end, my wife wants each guest to have the same level of comfort. Me...I am greedy and just want the sweet spot to be nice, y'all be danged!

I see your wife’s point and with me being a potential guest to your theater, I thank her for wanting all seats to be the same, lol. After 9 years the practical side of me grabbed hold and made me assess how often the extra seats are used. In my experience the 3 premium seats are used about 99% of the time. This made it a no brainer for me to go with the rockers.
post #7327 of 7512 Old 03-26-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:

We have the exact same problem. The seats suddenly seemed to start peeling and flaking about a year ago (7 years after buying them), and even some of the seats that don't get as much use are showing early signs of "pre-peeling."

Problem is that good leather seats are an expensive expense that aren't in the plans at this point. Two rows of 4 seats with a loveseat option in the middle adds up quickly.
post #7328 of 7512 Old 03-27-2019, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
We have the exact same problem. The seats suddenly seemed to start peeling and flaking about a year ago (7 years after buying them), and even some of the seats that don't get as much use are showing early signs of "pre-peeling."

Problem is that good leather seats are an expensive expense that aren't in the plans at this point. Two rows of 4 seats with a loveseat option in the middle adds up quickly.
Agreed, it adds up quickly but in hindsite I wish we would have gotten the better material up front.

For all the leather people out there, any particular lotions/conditioners you’d recommend?
nickbuol likes this.
post #7329 of 7512 Old 03-27-2019, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Agreed, it adds up quickly but in hindsite I wish we would have gotten the better material up front.

For all the leather people out there, any particular lotions/conditioners you’d recommend?
As a former Cavalry scout (both on horseback and armored) and something of a leather care savant, my Grandfather introduced me to saddle soap (Kiwi and Fiebings are the tins I remember the most) for cleaning and then he always used Leather Honey for conditioning. I stick by the same regimen as he did and also have had good experience with Lexol cleaners and conditioners for automotive interior leathers. I also use the Lexol products on my leather motorcycle gear. Shaddup...I don't own any chaps.
deewan and Draden1 like this.

post #7330 of 7512 Old 03-28-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Shaddup...I don't own any full coverage chaps.
Fixed that for you
ZLTFUL likes this.

post #7331 of 7512 Old 03-28-2019, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Fixed that for you
Was this what you were meaning?

https://y.yarn.co/627baea2-d1be-469c...?1553792570592
post #7332 of 7512 Old 03-28-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 493
All chaps are assless. If they had an ass, they'd be pants.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #7333 of 7512 Old 03-28-2019, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
All chaps are assless. If they had an ass, they'd be pants.
And Travis knows...he's a chaps expert!

post #7334 of 7512 Old 03-28-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And Travis knows...he's a chaps expert!
Not really a chaps expert. I'm just an ass.
Draden1 and ZLTFUL like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

post #7335 of 7512 Old 03-28-2019, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

HEYOOOOOO!!!

thrillcat likes this.

post #7336 of 7512 Old 03-28-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
HEYOOOOOO!!!

Good old Ed. Back when you could be on the most popular talk show in the country and be completely sauced 100% of the time. His liver was a miracle of nature.
thrillcat and ZLTFUL like this.

post #7337 of 7512 Old 03-29-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
As a former Cavalry scout (both on horseback and armored) and something of a leather care savant, my Grandfather introduced me to saddle soap (Kiwi and Fiebings are the tins I remember the most) for cleaning and then he always used Leather Honey for conditioning. I stick by the same regimen as he did and also have had good experience with Lexol cleaners and conditioners for automotive interior leathers. I also use the Lexol products on my leather motorcycle gear. Shaddup...I don't own any chaps.
I second this. I use the Lexol products, nothing about the chaps. I use Lexol to clean and condition the cars twice a year and once a year on my theater seats. Easy to use and great results.
Draden1 likes this.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #7338 of 7512 Old 03-29-2019, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hey y'all - I've been wanting a projector screen for a long time, but I have no room, screen etc. Anyway, I was doing some research for my brother in law on projectors and it's given me the bug again. It seemes like the Sony VPLHW45ES is pretty highly rated. I stopped in to Hawkeye Audio and they had one of these for sale and on demo. It looked pretty good! I'm not really interested in spending much more, unless price is close and performance is considerably improved. Spending less for similar performance is appealing.

My intended uses would be to eventually have a screen/room in the basement and the room would eventually be light controlled with no windows. Currently, I use the basement to work out and watch TV/Movies as I'm running / biking in the winter. I have spare speakers, receiver, PS4 etc. Seems like I could make a screen work with the equipment I have now. I've also been thinking it may be nice to have an outdoor movie night hosted at my place for the kiddos, but largely just want something to start playing around with. Anyway, looking to get some of your thoughts as it's been on my mind for a while.

1. Seeing as though I don't have a specific need for this, is it worth waiting for a new model or 4k (even faux 4k)?
  2. Any comments on this units performance vs something else?
  3. Does anyone have one near CR who'd be willing to do a demo?
post #7339 of 7512 Old 03-29-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDust58 View Post
Hey y'all - It seemes like the Sony VPLHW45ES is pretty highly rated. I stopped in to Hawkeye Audio and they had one of these for sale and on demo. It looked pretty good! I'm not really interested in spending much more, unless price is close and performance is considerably improved. Spending less for similar performance is appealing.
  1. Seeing as though I don't have a specific need for this, is it worth waiting for a new model or 4k (even faux 4k)?
I think it really depends on what Hawkeye (I hate even using that word) is asking for it. That amazon price, to me, is pretty steep for a 1080p projector today, even though that is a really good 1080p projector.

If it were me, I'd probably be holding out for a 4K or eShift model (I just upgraded to a JVC X790R in December). If you're really just itching to test the waters, you can find some great 1080p projectors used right now for $400-up. I sold a killer Panasonic AE8000u 1080p projector for $700, and that was the higher end of the range for that model. You could use that to see how much use it would get, decide if you will want 4K or not (HDR), play with screen sizes, etc. Then you can invest in a keeper down the road when you have a better idea, and delegate the used projector for outdoor movie night.

Again, it really depends on what Hawkeye (again, that WORD) is asking for the Sony. No doubt it would be a good unit, but at this stage in the transition, I'd hate to pay that kind of money for a 1080p projector, only to find that I LOVED having a projector and WISHED I had bought a 4K unit.

That thing is going to depreciate quickly as soon as you drive it off the lot. Make sure you factor that in.

post #7340 of 7512 Old 03-29-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey y'all - I've been wanting a projector screen for a long time, but I have no room, screen etc. Anyway, I was doing some research for my brother in law on projectors and it's given me the bug again. It seemes like the Sony VPLHW45ES is pretty highly rated. I stopped in to Hawkeye Audio and they had one of these for sale and on demo. It looked pretty good! I'm not really interested in spending much more, unless price is close and performance is considerably improved. Spending less for similar performance is appealing.

My intended uses would be to eventually have a screen/room in the basement and the room would eventually be light controlled with no windows. Currently, I use the basement to work out and watch TV/Movies as I'm running / biking in the winter. I have spare speakers, receiver, PS4 etc. Seems like I could make a screen work with the equipment I have now. I've also been thinking it may be nice to have an outdoor movie night hosted at my place for the kiddos, but largely just want something to start playing around with. Anyway, looking to get some of your thoughts as it's been on my mind for a while.

I've seen a HW40 and HW45ES. For a new 2K projector I think they are the best value option out there (price paid for the picture quality you get). If you're willing to go used the 2K JVC's or later non-4K e-shift models will be a step up picture wise. The Panasonic 8000, like Thrillcat mentions, or some of the Epson options are also great used propositions and will usually come in less than a used JVC.

If you are looking at new and 4K, the Epson 5040UB (which is a pixel shifter) is really tough to be beat from a value proposition. The only thing that it's really lacking is full 18Gbs HDMI support which will be problematic for gaming (but not impossible to work around). At that price point (about $2000-2500) you can also consider some of the older used JVC 4K e-shift models (RS4xx) and maybe a used Sony 4K. Of those 2 I feel the JVC's better contrast and higher light output outweigh the native panel on the Sony (and those JVCs will have lens memory if you want something other than 16:9 screen). Versus the Epson, the Sony will have better resolution, slightly better contrast and better motion handling, but calibrated the Epson will be brighter and include lens memory. The JVC vs. the Epson, JVC will have a better contrast, better black floor, better optics and a full 18Gbps HDMI interface (calibrated brightness is even between the two).

It would be really hard with 4K out there to recommend investing a lot in a 2K setup right now. So my recommendation on a budget is try to stretch for a good 4K used unit or the Epson 5040 new. If you can't stretch that far, look hard at the used 2K market and compare against the Sony.

There's quite a few Eastern IA members that frequent this thread that I'm guessing would be willing to demo their setups. If you take a trip to Des Moines I'm sure we could get a few stops going for you.
FireDust58 likes this.

Last edited by jeahrens; 03-29-2019 at 11:38 AM.
post #7341 of 7512 Old 03-29-2019, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you don't already have a screen, I have a Silver Ticket 130" 16:9 non-AT screen I am looking to sell on the cheap. It's in perfect condition and I just don't need it since I picked up a 150".

post #7342 of 7512 Old 03-29-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3555
Any of you guys going to Axpona this year besides dlbeck?

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #7343 of 7512 Old 03-29-2019, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I just happen to have a couple used 1080p projectors in storage that I've been too lazy to sell. I have a Panny 8000 and an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080UB. I don't recall the hours on the bulbs at the moment but somewhere in the 400-700 hour range. I really enjoyed the Panny but couldn't resist an upgrade to a JVC a few years ago. I'm in North Liberty. PM me if either one interests you.
post #7344 of 7512 Old 03-29-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Same here. I think that it was something like another $1500 total is all (in the big scheme of things) to get better leather and powered seats over what we bought. We just finished with a full basement finish, almost all new HT gear, and some larger furniture purchases, so that $1000 seemed pretty critical at the time. Looking back, it wasn't.
post #7345 of 7512 Old 03-29-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Did you mention AVS and the Iowa Thread discount? Call Kent at the Cedar Falls store. Tell him Darren told you to call and he will give you a deal that will be difficult to say no to.

OR buy from @IA_Hi_Fi_Guy . He owns way to many projectors. It's unhealthy for him.
FireDust58 likes this.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #7346 of 7512 Old 03-30-2019, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Haven’t watched many movies recently but I did finally see Spider-Man - Spider-verse, I must say it was fascinating. Most entertaining Spider-Man movie yet (by far), any movie that let’s us have quirky/oddball Nicholas Cage I’m in for. Picture/sound were great, I imagine the 4K must be excellent for all you 4k’ers out there.

@theblackangus , how’s the build going?

Ive queued up Spider-verse for this afternoon. Excited for this one.

On the build one is about 1/2 way done, I somehow had it settle poorly when it was gluing which caused about a 1/8th in gap I need to fix. I have been kind of sitting on it unsure of what I want to do to fix it. (or if it really needs to be fixed at all.
I think tomorrow will be the day of reconing.
thrillcat likes this.
post #7347 of 7512 Old 03-30-2019, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Haven’t watched many movies recently but I did finally see Spider-Man - Spider-verse, I must say it was fascinating. Most entertaining Spider-Man movie yet (by far), any movie that let’s us have quirky/oddball Nicholas Cage I’m in for. Picture/sound were great, I imagine the 4K must be excellent for all you 4k’ers out there.

@theblackangus , how’s the build going?

Ive queued up Spider-verse for this afternoon. Excited for this one.

On the build one is about 1/2 way done, I somehow had it settle poorly when it was gluing which caused about a 1/8th in gap I need to fix. I have been kind of sitting on it unsure of what I want to do to fix it. (or if it really needs to be fixed at all.
I think tomorrow will be the day of reconing.
post #7348 of 7512 Old 03-30-2019, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Loctite PL Premium would bridge the gap. It's rated to maintain full structural integrity for up to 1/8" gaps IIRC. Even so, you shouldn't need the strength because the other 4 sides are secured so it'd seal it up pretty well. It takes about 24 hours to dry, though, and the fumes it emits can eat at the glue used to construct drivers so if you do use it, let it sit a day or two before you mount the driver in it. And another tip, don't wipe any excess. Let it dry for an hour or two and then trim the excess with a razor blade. It dries very slightly rubbery so it's hard to sand.

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."
post #7349 of 7512 Old 03-31-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know that people have had some experience with the Cinemark XD experience in Altoona and saying that it isn't that great. Has anyone been to the new B&B theater in Ankeny?

Looks like I might be driving from Cedar Rapids to the middle of the state to see Avengers Endgame with my daughter who is at ISU. Ames has a nice little mom&pop theater, but I want to have the really big screen with recliners experience. Not sure that my wife would care for the MX4D experience, so I am thinking that it would just be their giant screen/heated recliner experience.

Has anyone here been to that theater?

I know that a lot of people like Flix. Do they have a "really large" screen experience?

I figure that I need to sort this out soon as tickets are supposed to go on sale April 2 (tomorrow night at midnight at some places), so I should probably figure out my options.

Thanks.
post #7350 of 7512 Old 03-31-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Haven’t been to B&B yet, but Flix does have a couple really big screens. I Believe they’re tagged the MX rooms, and I’m sure Avengers will get those rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickbuol likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page