1103Likes

post #7351 of 7545 Old 04-01-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
I haven't hit B&B either. Feedback from friends has been that it's "good"

The new IMAX in Waukee has gotten some really good reviews from friends/coworkers. A bit pricey, but they really liked it. Haven't tried it yet myself.
nickbuol likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7545 Old 04-02-2019, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Back on the Spiderman Spider-verse... Loved it.

Great sound track and story.
The animation style was a bit hit or miss for me but all in all another vote for very good.

Im hoping to see End Game at the IMAX in Waukee too.

Do I need to see captain marvel 1st? I haven't yet.
post #7353 of 7545 Old 04-02-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Back on the Spiderman Spider-verse... Loved it.

Great sound track and story.
The animation style was a bit hit or miss for me but all in all another vote for very good.

Im hoping to see End Game at the IMAX in Waukee too.

Do I need to see captain marvel 1st? I haven't yet.
Captain Marvel will likely add to the experience, but not be completely necessary. I'd probably see it if you can.

Into the Spider-verse was great. I enjoy Miles's story as much as Peter's. They're both cut from the same cloth. The Ultimate run of Miles is really good.

Also I will admit to having Peter Porker the Spectacular Spider Ham issue #1 floating around somewhere in a closet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7354 of 7545 Old 04-07-2019, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks for the comments on the projectors. I too, have the same concerns about spending $2k for a 1080p projector. Given the age of some of these designs I'd expect more e-shift options coming soon?

I had heard about that 5040UB for similar price. I was skepticle of how much of a difference eshift would make and thought the sony seemed to be pretty highly rated.

The cheaper option I've also been watching is the BenQ HT2050A. I'm assuming this is a newer, but just as good version of the HT2050. It seems to have a lot of good reviews given its price. It's ~$700 on amazon now. Might be a better starter option until I get a fully dedicated room?
post #7355 of 7545 Old 04-08-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those of you looking at a 4K projector, I noticed this link in the KC thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...-151-00-a.html

Outstanding bargain for that unit.

post #7356 of 7545 Old 04-08-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDust58 View Post
Thanks for the comments on the projectors. I too, have the same concerns about spending $2k for a 1080p projector. Given the age of some of these designs I'd expect more e-shift options coming soon?

I had heard about that 5040UB for similar price. I was skepticle of how much of a difference eshift would make and thought the sony seemed to be pretty highly rated.

The cheaper option I've also been watching is the BenQ HT2050A. I'm assuming this is a newer, but just as good version of the HT2050. It seems to have a lot of good reviews given its price. It's ~$700 on amazon now. Might be a better starter option until I get a fully dedicated room?
You will definitely see the resolution bump of pixel/e-shift with 4K material.

2K DLP units still represent a decent value (stay away from the 4K units). But if you can get the Epson 5040UB refurb I just posted, it's a different level of performance for not much more.
FireDust58 likes this.

post #7357 of 7545 Old 04-08-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Woot also has some Optoma factory refurbs available...not sure how good they are or if the pricing is decent.

https://electronics.woot.com/plus/op...rs-your-choice

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #7358 of 7545 Old 04-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Guys...been working on cleaning up excess computer and audio gear I am not using. So this is a list of stuff I am selling. I can meet part way for any of the Eastern Iowa folks who are interested.

This list is fluid (adding stuff, selling stuff) and I have it posted elsewhere too. But I need to clear out the excess so I can keep moving forward with the basement work.
Prices are semi-firm but I am willing to entertain offers and multiple item discounts.

Synology DS212j NAS w/2x4TB Western Digital Blue HDs (Drives are under warranty until August of this year) - $175 SOLD!

Silver Ticket 130" 16:9 Non-AT fixed frame projection screen (white material) - $120

4 Bay External SATA Storage Enclosure and Rocket Raid 644LS SATA RAID (0,1,10,5,JBOD) PCI-E Card with Mini-SAS Cable - $100

Jolida JD50a Passive Pre-amp (It is a passive pre with remote volume, mute and standby. The power is only for the volume control stepper motor. The signal path is simply input-->selector switch-->volume control-->output.) - $225 Sold Pending Payment

Acurus A-80 2 channel Amplifier - $125 Sold Pending Payment

Asus S56CA 15.6" Ultrabook laptop (Core i3 3217U @1.8ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB and 128GB SSDs, DVD-RW drive) This was one of the few Ultrabooks that offered not only a 15.6" screen and full keyboard with number pad, but also has a DVD-RW optical drive. - $225 Sold pending pickup.

Kindle Fire Tablet OG Kindle Fire. Still works well with books, videos, web browsing, etc. - $20

Cheap Chinese 1080P Projector from Amazon. We used this a few times for outdoor movies but ended up getting an Epson Projector to do outdoor movie nights. This works great and is plenty bright for general use up to about 100" - $30

As stated, this is just the initial list. I still have a good chunk of the storage room to go through but I want to move this stuff along.

Depending on what server/servers Joel's buddy, Dave ends up buying from me, I may also be adding a couple of Dell enterprise grade servers (R710, T620) to the list as well.

I have pics if you want, just shoot my a PM and I will fire them your way.

Last edited by ZLTFUL; 04-11-2019 at 09:21 PM.
post #7359 of 7545 Old 04-10-2019, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Yoooo I'd potentially be interested in server and networking gear. Would you be interested in selling the 4tb drives separate from the nas?

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."
post #7360 of 7545 Old 04-10-2019, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherW9 View Post
Yoooo I'd potentially be interested in server and networking gear. Would you be interested in selling the 4tb drives separate from the nas?
Anything is possible. Shoot me an offer via PM and we can go from there.

post #7361 of 7545 Old 04-11-2019, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Sold some more stuff. Post above updated.

post #7362 of 7545 Old 04-13-2019, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Hey all!
Im getting ready to rip my bluray and 4k bluray library and wanted to see how everyone was currently doing that?
I was thinking on using makemkv for bluray, but do you guys rip to ISO, BD folder, or mkv format?
Whats the best tools set for 4k?
I want to keep full quality and lossless sound tracks.
Thanks!
post #7363 of 7545 Old 04-13-2019, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey all!
Im getting ready to rip my bluray and 4k bluray library and wanted to see how everyone was currently doing that?
I was thinking on using makemkv for bluray, but do you guys rip to ISO, BD folder, or mkv format?
Thanks!
Ok...so some things to keep in mind as you begin this journey.

First, MakeMKV...BDs and UHDs to MKV format. I select the main title, the best available soundtrack and nothing else. It helps conserve space and in my case, Plex does all of the special features (interviews, commentary, making of videos, cast, etc) via the innerwebz so I don't have to have that extra info chew up my storage.

Second, for 4K disc rips, you need a very specific combination of BD drives and firmware. I have 4 LG WH16NS40 drives. *BUT* only 2 of them can rip 4K discs because they have older firmware (FW1.02 vs FW1.03 or newer). And that is one of the problems with 4K discs and MakeMKV, you need that specific combination of model and firmware for the drives to be able to read the UHD content.

Another issue (addendum #1 to "Second" above) is volume license keys. More and more are being added with each new release of MakeMKV but you will still run into a 4K disc from time to time that can't be decrypted because the VLK isn't available yet. I have encountered maybe 4 or 5 4K discs that MakeMKV has not been able to decrypt.

And then (addendum #2 to "Second" above) there is the "OMG MAKE SURE YOU START DECRYPTING THE 4K DISC WITHIN 2 MINUTES OF PUTTING IT IN THE DRIVE!!! thing. I am being dramatic for effect but if you allow the drive to "sleep" then you have to eject and reload the disk. A minor inconvenience this but still notable as if you don't open MakeMKV within 2 minutes of putting that disk in, it will "lock" the reading of the disks until you do.

Those are the big 2. Other than that, ripping 4K disks compared to standard BDs takes a lot longer...roughly 2 to 4 times longer than the BD disk.

The first item is the more noticeable issue as more and more, LG and Asus are shipping the drives with "fixed" firmware and reverting the firmware to a previously 4K friendly version is nigh on impossible unless you have a 32 bit XP machine and a very specific set of firmware flashing tools on hand to do it.

UHD friendly and official UHD drives list:
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewto...9e98f462aa5069

I am actually working on finding a drive or two for this specific thing for Travis. I will be heading out later after I finish up on work to see if I can find a few of those drives. If not, eBay is the best bet but you have to make the seller make ABSOLUTELY sure that that the drive is the correct firmware (on the drive information sticker).

For the LG drives, firmware has to be 1.02 or earlier and the drives have to have the NS50 service code. Never got into the Asus drives but LG is their OEM so it should be the same or similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	2552354  

post #7364 of 7545 Old 04-13-2019, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
And its posts like the one above that keep me coming back and lurking. Thanks ZLTFUL super informative!

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
ZLTFUL likes this.
post #7365 of 7545 Old 04-13-2019, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks ZLTFUL.

I had read some about the 4k drive situation, and knew it was a mess.
Is there a reason you didnt use the ASUS BW-16D1HT which they seem to reference as the goto device?

I'm going to go after my BD's 1st and see how much room I left.
So you do everything to an mkv container... good to know - I wasn't sure what was the prevalent container being used.

Let me know if you find any drives, I will likely pick one up.

Last edited by theblackangus; 04-13-2019 at 08:49 AM.
post #7366 of 7545 Old 04-13-2019, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks ZLTFUL.

I had read some about the 4k drive situation, and knew it was a mess.
Is there a reason you didnt use the ASUS BW-16D1HT which they seem to reference as the goto device?

I'm going to go after my BD's 1st and see how much room I left.
So you do everything to an mkv container... good to know - I wasn't sure what was the prevalent container being used.

Let me know if you find any drives, I will likely pick one up.
Will do. I have a message into a seller on eBay I am waiting on a reply from but if he has what I think he has, I may buy his whole lot and share the wealth.

The Asus drives are LGs. LG is the OEM for Asus. Ultimately though, it came down to cost.

post #7367 of 7545 Old 04-17-2019, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Another step closer...

nickbuol, deewan, jeahrens and 3 others like this.

post #7368 of 7545 Old 04-17-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Hey all!
Thanks!
I have anyDVD HD installed and have JRiver Media Center set to autorip. I have anyDVD HD set to remove all segments shorter than 20 minutes so only the main movie rips. I just insert a UHD Blu-ray, let it rip, and remove the disk. This makes it easy for the rest of the family to rip anything. This method rips to BD folder structure. Note that the BD Folder structure is helpful for things like automatic chapter creation for Blu-ray concerts. Using mkv format with MakeMKV is helpful for later using MKVToolNix to create demo clips with full quality and lossless sound tracks.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #7369 of 7545 Old 04-17-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I've been toying with this idea after Travis was gracious enough to host 2001: A Space Odyssey. What would the group think of a John Wick 3: Parabellum event? My thought would be we have a lunch somewhere in the DM metro, then break out into groups to watch John Wick 1/2 at volunteers houses with a meet up that evening for John Wick 3 at either the new IMAX in Waukee or Flix MX. We could have multiple home theaters available for both films and people could even swap over to another theater for their other viewing. Give some of the newer members a chance to experience multiple setups. Thinking Saturday the 18th.

What do you all think? Obviously I would be up for hosting with my small space since it is my idea.

post #7370 of 7545 Old 04-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

I do like the automation portion of anyDVD HD better (as MakeMKV only has a few things you can automate).

Has anyDVD HD started working for UHD rips? I have a couple of friends who haven't been using it due to that limitation but if they have started allowing UHD rips then it may be moot.

post #7371 of 7545 Old 04-17-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 506
I’m not opposed, but that seems like a LOT of John Wick for a single day. I shudder to think of the body count.

Will any of the participants be screening a version with all the gunfire replaced with Owen Wilson saying “wow”?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
So I've been toying with this idea after Travis was gracious enough to host 2001: A Space Odyssey. What would the group think of a John Wick 3: Parabellum event? My thought would be we have a lunch somewhere in the DM metro, then break out into groups to watch John Wick 1/2 at volunteers houses with a meet up that evening for John Wick 3 at either the new IMAX in Waukee or Flix MX. We could have multiple home theaters available for both films and people could even swap over to another theater for their other viewing. Give some of the newer members a chance to experience multiple setups. Thinking Saturday the 18th.

What do you all think? Obviously I would be up for hosting with my small space since it is my idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #7372 of 7545 Old 04-17-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I’m not opposed, but that seems like a LOT of John Wick for a single day. I shudder to think of the body count.

Will any of the participants be screening a version with all the gunfire replaced with Owen Wilson saying “wow”?

You can be the man that makes John Wick - Owen Wilson happen.

If we only want to do one film that's always possible. It's just an idea. I liked that we could have John Wick 1 showing in multiple home theaters and then viewers could opt to swap theaters for John Wick 2. See 2 of the theaters they are interested in the same day. They aren't LotR's or 2001. The run time isn't terrible. 1:40 for #1 and 2:02 for #2

It's up to the group.

post #7373 of 7545 Old 04-17-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
You can be the man that makes John Wick - Owen Wilson happen.

If we only want to do one film that's always possible. It's just an idea. I liked that we could have John Wick 1 showing in multiple home theaters and then viewers could opt to swap theaters for John Wick 2. See 2 of the theaters they are interested in the same day. They aren't LotR's or 2001. The run time isn't terrible. 1:40 for #1 and 2:02 for #2

It's up to the group.

I mean, I’m in either way.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #7374 of 7545 Old 04-17-2019, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

I hate you so much right now Travis.

I can host a few folks for each viewing here but it will be on the small 70" TV.
thrillcat likes this.

post #7375 of 7545 Old 04-17-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
I hate you so much right now Travis.

I can host a few folks for each viewing here but it will be on the small 70" TV.
Won't we have the temporary shelf put up for the RS520 by then

post #7376 of 7545 Old 04-17-2019, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I've got family in town that weekend but I'd love to see some of the local home theaters this summer.
post #7377 of 7545 Old 04-17-2019, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Won't we have the temporary shelf put up for the RS520 by then
Tell you what...you convince my wife to let me hang the 130" screen in the living room and I will do it. Good luck!

post #7378 of 7545 Old 04-17-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini2000 View Post
I've got family in town that weekend but I'd love to see some of the local home theaters this summer.
I'm sure they'll be other opportunities.

How's the RS540/DCR combo working out? Chad B. calibrate it yet? I can't imagine it's anything but gorgeous.

post #7379 of 7545 Old 04-17-2019, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
I'm sure they'll be other opportunities.

How's the RS540/DCR combo working out? Chad B. calibrate it yet? I can't imagine it's anything but gorgeous.
It's been about a week since Chad B. calibrated it. I've got the regular Paladin, not the DCR but it still looks amazing! I'm extremely happy with it.
post #7380 of 7545 Old 04-17-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini2000 View Post
It's been about a week since Chad B. calibrated it. I've got the regular Paladin, not the DCR but it still looks amazing! I'm extremely happy with it.
Oops my bad. Been in the JVC NX/RSxxx threads too much and have DCR on the brain. I'd love to see that. I would imagine even with your screen size HDR is fantastic with the lens. I use zooming on my 130" scope screen as I've not been able to swing the lens cost along with my other AV spending habits :P

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page