post #7381 of 7512 Old 04-17-2019, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Has anyDVD HD started working for UHD rips? I have a couple of friends who haven't been using it due to that limitation but if they have started allowing UHD rips then it may be moot.
I've been ripping UHD Discs with AnyDVD HD since December of 2017. Since February of 2018 I haven't had a UHD disc that I couldn't rip. There is currently a list of 18 UHD discs that can't be ripped with AnyDVD HD, but only a few are US versions.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 7512 Old 04-18-2019, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I've been ripping UHD Discs with AnyDVD HD since December of 2017. Since February of 2018 I haven't had a UHD disc that I couldn't rip. There is currently a list of 18 UHD discs that can't be ripped with AnyDVD HD, but only a few are US versions.

What UHD Drive are you using?
post #7383 of 7512 Old 04-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
So I've been toying with this idea after Travis was gracious enough to host 2001: A Space Odyssey. What would the group think of a John Wick 3: Parabellum event? My thought would be we have a lunch somewhere in the DM metro, then break out into groups to watch John Wick 1/2 at volunteers houses with a meet up that evening for John Wick 3 at either the new IMAX in Waukee or Flix MX. We could have multiple home theaters available for both films and people could even swap over to another theater for their other viewing. Give some of the newer members a chance to experience multiple setups. Thinking Saturday the 18th.

What do you all think? Obviously I would be up for hosting with my small space since it is my idea.
I have some out of town plans still in the air for that weekend but if I'm here I'd love to attend!
jeahrens likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7384 of 7512 Old 04-25-2019, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 289
So I picked up the 4K 40th anniversary release of Alien and it showed up on Tuesday.
Took it up to @jeahrens last night to check out the new NX7 he picked up.

I can't wait to watch this movie in its entirety. It looks stunning, especially for a film made in 1979.
jeahrens and Draden1 like this.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #7385 of 7512 Old 04-25-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
So I picked up the 4K 40th anniversary release of Alien and it showed up on Tuesday.
Took it up to @jeahrens last night to check out the new NX7 he picked up.

I can't wait to watch this movie in its entirety. It looks stunning, especially for a film made in 1979.
Amen. It's a fantastic transfer!

post #7386 of 7512 Old 04-25-2019, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Amen. It's a fantastic transfer!
Interesting... So you and I had the same projectors, what do you notice going to the NX7?

7.1.4 system:
JVC X770R / 120" Silver Ticket | Marantz 7011 | Emotiva XPA 3 Gen 3 | Nvidia Shield | OPPO BDP 203 UHD | Tivo Roamio OTA | Simple Control Remote | 4x B&W 600 series surrounds | 4x Definitive Technology AW 6500 Atmos | B&W 700 Series Front LCR | Rythmik FV15 | Insteon Automation | Philips Hue accent lighting
post #7387 of 7512 Old 04-25-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtvman View Post
Interesting... So you and I had the same projectors, what do you notice going to the NX7?
Normally I would post some new thoughts, but some idiot cut one of our main fiber feeds at work overnight and I'm operating on very little sleep. So I'll just link this from the owners thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57938092

TLDR: Contrast is comparable with the RS520, more detailed, more natural looking picture. Essentially what you would hope JVC would bring to us with a native 4K panel and improved lens.

I'll link this as well:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57953054

The mini get together was to allow Nate (chi_hawks_23) to see an NX7 in person. Although he's far to kind with praise for the overall system (a lot of you have better rooms than I do) he'll give you a non-owners perspective from someone evaluating projectors. I think Neil and Landon want to swing over at some point, I'll make sure and shoot you a message when that happens in case you want to check it out as well.

Last edited by jeahrens; 04-25-2019 at 02:03 PM.
post #7388 of 7512 Old 04-25-2019, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Normally I would post some new thoughts, but some idiot cut one of our main fiber feeds at work overnight and I'm operating on very little sleep. So I'll just link this from the owners thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57938092

TLDR: Contrast is comparable with the RS520, more detailed, more natural looking picture. Essentially what you would hope JVC would to bring us with a native 4K panel and improved lens.

I'll link this as well:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57953054

The mini get together was to allow Nate (chi_hawks_23) to see an NX7 in person. Although he's far to kind with praise for the overall system (a lot of you have better rooms than I do) he'll give you a non-owners perspective from someone evaluating projectors. I think Neil and Landon want to swing over at some point, I'll make sure and shoot you a message when that happens in case you want to check it out as well.
Sure, id love to check it out, see if its worth it for me to upgrade.

7.1.4 system:
JVC X770R / 120" Silver Ticket | Marantz 7011 | Emotiva XPA 3 Gen 3 | Nvidia Shield | OPPO BDP 203 UHD | Tivo Roamio OTA | Simple Control Remote | 4x B&W 600 series surrounds | 4x Definitive Technology AW 6500 Atmos | B&W 700 Series Front LCR | Rythmik FV15 | Insteon Automation | Philips Hue accent lighting
post #7389 of 7512 Old 04-27-2019, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtvman View Post
Sure, id love to check it out, see if its worth it for me to upgrade.

If you haven't read all 9000 pages of the owners thread....

Summary:
Sharper
Better motion handling
Better lens (so sharper =)
Slightly worse contrast, but hardly noticeable on most content
Alot of quality control problems (apparently) so you may have to return one or two to get a good one. (Take this one with a grain of salt)
About equivalent calibrated brightness (slightly brighter?)
Smaller light loss (slightly) if using the P3 filter.
Onboard automatic HDR tuning which is pretty good, people think the pana 820/9000 may be a bit better, MadVR is better.
Apparent slight yellowing on scenes with very little color and low light? Has to do with the dynamic iris clamping when using HDR modes and high lamp?(Take this with a grain of salt also, not noticeable on much real world content, if you look at the current last 10ish pages there is discussion of this.)
Larger
Slightly longer min throw range
A few more minor things.
post #7390 of 7512 Old 04-28-2019, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
We are priming the walls of my theater today. Then I have to pick paint, having a real hard time figuring out exactly how I want to design it. Ugh
theblackangus likes this.
post #7391 of 7512 Old 04-29-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
If you haven't read all 9000 pages of the owners thread....

Summary:
Sharper
Better motion handling
Better lens (so sharper =)
Slightly worse contrast, but hardly noticeable on most content
Alot of quality control problems (apparently) so you may have to return one or two to get a good one. (Take this one with a grain of salt)
About equivalent calibrated brightness (slightly brighter?)
Smaller light loss (slightly) if using the P3 filter.
Onboard automatic HDR tuning which is pretty good, people think the pana 820/9000 may be a bit better, MadVR is better.
Apparent slight yellowing on scenes with very little color and low light? Has to do with the dynamic iris clamping when using HDR modes and high lamp?(Take this with a grain of salt also, not noticeable on much real world content, if you look at the current last 10ish pages there is discussion of this.)
Larger
Slightly longer min throw range
A few more minor things.
Good synopsis. I've been following the thread since the beginning.

A lot of the "QC" issues are obvious shipping damage. Now you can argue that JVC may need to rethink packaging. Thankfully the number of units with optical block damage seems to be decreasing. I think Mike mentioned JVC was switching shipping companies, so that may be why.

Personally I don't have a desire to build a beefy PC, try to make it silent, and maintain it for MadVR. I know it will be the best option. But I think the Panasonic and JVC tonemapping combined offers a very good solution. And is very plug and play.

post #7392 of 7512 Old 04-29-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarity View Post
We are priming the walls of my theater today. Then I have to pick paint, having a real hard time figuring out exactly how I want to design it. Ugh
Dark and flat. For the ceiling black or something close to it will be your best bet. The walls you can go something other than black as long as you go dark and flat. I like DLBecks dark blue/grey walls. Maybe something like that with a black ceiling?

Congrats on the progress!

Last edited by jeahrens; 04-29-2019 at 10:53 AM.
post #7393 of 7512 Old 04-29-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I have an open NX5 and a NX9 in Ames if anyone wants to check them out. Comparing them one model to the next (e.g. 5 to a 7, 7 to a 9) would require a carefully setup comparison setup, which I'm not yet kitted out for. The demo theaters out at the shop will take a year to make, likely.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
post #7394 of 7512 Old 04-29-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post
I have an open NX5 and a NX9 in Ames if anyone wants to check them out. Comparing them one model to the next (e.g. 5 to a 7, 7 to a 9) would require a carefully setup comparison setup, which I'm not yet kitted out for. The demo theaters out at the shop will take a year to make, likely.

Cheers,
Chris
We could set them up at Travis's place. Have a 3 way shootout. You don't mind right Travis

I ran my RS46 on a folding table behind my chairs in conjunction with my RS520. It was ghetto fabulous, but worked.

post #7395 of 7512 Old 04-29-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
I calibrated an RS620 and an NX7 this weekend. The calibrated black level of the RS620 was .0018 nits and the NX7 was .0020 nits. The RS620 was on a 140" wide Seymour Screen Excellence Enlightor NEO screen and the NX7 was on a 120" wide Seymour AV Centerstage XD screen. The smaller, higher gain screen allows the iris to be closed more on the NX7 improving its black level. The iris was set to manual for both measurements. Besides the projector itself the screen size, screen gain, room environment, and throw distance all contribute to the actual in-room black level when calibrated to the SMPTE standard of 14 fL.
chriscmore likes this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #7396 of 7512 Old 04-29-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
We could set them up at Travis's place. Have a 3 way shootout. You don't mind right Travis

I ran my RS46 on a folding table behind my chairs in conjunction with my RS520. It was ghetto fabulous, but worked.
Not at all.

I got to see the NX9 (right @chriscmore ?) on Saturday night, watching Ant Man and the Wasp.

Bring them on over and we can also test out my new PLEX server that @ZLTFUL was kind enough to help me get set up and running (BTW, Ryan, I've got about 50 movies ripped so far).
chriscmore and ZLTFUL like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #7397 of 7512 Old 04-30-2019, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Not at all.

I got to see the NX9 (right @chriscmore ?) on Saturday night, watching Ant Man and the Wasp.

Bring them on over and we can also test out my new PLEX server that @ZLTFUL was kind enough to help me get set up and running (BTW, Ryan, I've got about 50 movies ripped so far).
being that i now work in Ames, this would be no problem, lets figure out a schedule!

7.1.4 system:
post #7398 of 7512 Old 04-30-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I calibrated an RS620 and an NX7 this weekend. The calibrated black level of the RS620 was .0018 nits and the NX7 was .0020 nits. The RS620 was on a 140" wide Seymour Screen Excellence Enlightor NEO screen and the NX7 was on a 120" wide Seymour AV Centerstage XD screen. The smaller, higher gain screen allows the iris to be closed more on the NX7 improving its black level. The iris was set to manual for both measurements. Besides the projector itself the screen size, screen gain, room environment, and throw distance all contribute to the actual in-room black level when calibrated to the SMPTE standard of 14 fL.
That's good info. I'm basically only seeing a contrast difference with the DI in fade to black and credits where the new lineup isn't as aggressive. So it doesn't get as black, but there is also no visible pumping. Kind of a pick your poison scenario. I can see preferring one or the other.

post #7399 of 7512 Old 04-30-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Can you let us know what drive you are using. I am looking to do the same thing and have AnyDVD. Any help would be great. What I am finding is that the drives that can rip them are not being sold anymore. Well they are being sold but with a firmware upgrade that will disable that feature. Any truth to that?
post #7400 of 7512 Old 04-30-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastMo40 View Post
Can you let us know what drive you are using. I am looking to do the same thing and have AnyDVD. Any help would be great. What I am finding is that the drives that can rip them are not being sold anymore. Well they are being sold but with a firmware upgrade that will disable that feature. Any truth to that?
Very valid concern.

You can still get lucky from time to time and get one of the 4K "friendly" drives with the working firmware new but you are far less likely to get the old firmware these days.
I have found eBay is pretty good for this (ordered 3 drives from a seller after verifying with them that they had the correct firmware).

Unfortunately, the process to "downgrade" to the firmware needed to be able to read 4K discs is long, painful, and requires a very specific OS (Windows 7 32bit) and motherboard (with SATA mode enabled) combo along with some pretty obscure software and a working/known good firmware package.
EastMo40 likes this.

post #7401 of 7512 Old 04-30-2019, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Forgot to include the 4K friendly drive list...

UHD official drives:

LG WH16NS60(internal)
Buffalo BRUHD-PU3(external, USB)(FW. BU11 not supported)
LG BU40N(internal slim/laptop)
LG BU50N(internal slim/laptop)
LG BP60NB10(external, USB)

UHD friendly drives:

ASUS BC-12D2HT(internal, manufactured 2015+, recommended) Buy this drive
LG BE16NU50(external, USB)
LG WH16NS40(internal, SVC code: NS50)
LG BH16NS40(internal, SVC code: NS50)
ASUS BW-12B1ST(internal, manufactured 2015+)
ASUS BW-16D1HT a(internal, manufactured 2015+)
LG BH16NS55(internal)
LG WH16NS58(internal)
ASUS BW-16D1H-U A201(internal, USB, manufactured 2015+)
LG BU30N(internal slim/laptop)

For the LG 4K "friendly" drives, the firmware *MUST* be 1.02 or earlier. Firmware 1.03 on locked out the ability to read 4K discs.
EastMo40 likes this.

post #7402 of 7512 Old 04-30-2019, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
and motherboard (with SATA mode enabled)
Did you mean IDE or SATA2? Nearly everything is SATA3 these days.

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."
post #7403 of 7512 Old 04-30-2019, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherW9 View Post
Did you mean IDE or SATA2? Nearly everything is SATA3 these days.
SATA as in non-AHCI mode. The software to flash the firmware does not recognize drives in AHCI mode.

post #7404 of 7512 Old 04-30-2019, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Ah so the SATA physical interface using the IDE communication protocol, got it. Not to be confused with the IDE physical interface using the IDE communication protocol.

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."
post #7405 of 7512 Old 04-30-2019, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Correct. There is a long thread on a Polish IT forum I follow that outlines the whole process. It really is one of those "does the ends justify the means" sort of things.

But LG doesn't want you buying their cheaper drives to read UHD discs when they can sell you more expensive hardware (even though the core components are the same and the firmware is the only real difference).

post #7406 of 7512 Old 04-30-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherW9 View Post
Ah so the SATA physical interface using the IDE communication protocol, got it. Not to be confused with the IDE physical interface using the IDE communication protocol.
Well I've seen some BIOS's that have it listed as normal/AHCI/RAID. Normal being PATA/IDE fallback. Wouldn't want things to be TO consistent now would we. The point being you need an old board. My current one just has AHCI/RAID as options.

Of course I am a simple caveman that gets up and puts these disc things in a player to watch them...

(to cheap to invest in storage and time to convert to all digital files)

post #7407 of 7512 Old 04-30-2019, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Correct. There is a long thread on a Polish IT forum I follow that outlines the whole process. It really is one of those "does the ends justify the means" sort of things.

But LG doesn't want you buying their cheaper drives to read UHD discs when they can sell you more expensive hardware (even though the core components are the same and the firmware is the only real difference).

I've got back to my 486Dx2 66.

Covered.
ZLTFUL likes this.
post #7408 of 7512 Old 05-01-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If we get a shootout setup at Travis's I texted Nate @chi_hawks_23 and he's interested in attending. He's in the market for a projector and I've already given him contact information for Chris and Michael as JVC dealers. He's seen the RS540/790 at AVL and my NX7, so this will give him good exposure to the rest of the NX lineup and a calibrated RS540.

I'd volunteer my NX7 but no way am I dismounting it

post #7409 of 7512 Old 05-02-2019, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

I would be interested in attending as long as the weekend works.

If there is a recent Sony anyone could bring that would make it pretty awesome.
post #7410 of 7512 Old 05-03-2019, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Was looking up Onkyo dealers and came across Maximum Sight and Sound in Waterloo. Any reps here or anyone from the forum been to this location?

https://www.maximumsightandsound.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page