post #7411 of 7512 Old 05-03-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmgr View Post
Was looking up Onkyo dealers and came across Maximum Sight and Sound in Waterloo. Any reps here or anyone from the forum been to this location?

https://www.maximumsightandsound.com
I hope they just have a thing for wide angle photography and they're not actually installing postage stamp sized 4x3 screens.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 7512 Old 05-03-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Was looking up Onkyo dealers and came across Maximum Sight and Sound in Waterloo. Any reps here or anyone from the forum been to this location?

https://www.maximumsightandsound.com
I grew up in Cedar Falls. Cedar Falls/Waterloo used to have three AV stores. Maximum Sight and Sound, Hawkeye Audio Video and The Sound Room. The Sound Room focused more on auto audio but they had some mid-tier brands for home audio. The Sound Room offered good prices but didn't offer anything other than home delivery (no custom home installs). The Sound Room closed in 2009-ish.

Maximum had only carried home electronics. They also offered a few mid-tier brands and picked up a few of the brands The Sound Room carried when The Sound Room closed. Maximum offered delivery and installation, but I always felt were shady as heck. Walking in there felt like going to a low dollar used car lot, but the store is polished up like a gem. Granted, this was 10+ years ago, but every experience I had in the store made sure I always took my business elsewhere. A couple years ago it was pointed out to me that Maximum was using pictures on their site from other companies install jobs from around the country and trying to pass it as their own. If that tells you anything about their practices.

Maximum may have changed in recent years, but my opinion is I would ONLY go to Maximum if they were the only dealer in the state for the brand you want and you were dead set on buying that specific brand/model. If you only want Onkyo I'm not sure who your next closest dealer would be. Maybe check out other offerings from other AV stores in Cedar Falls, DSM, Dubuque or Iowa City.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #7413 of 7512 Old 05-03-2019, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Def appreciate the insight. I purchased my original Paradigm set up from Hawkeye AV in Cedar Falls years ago and had a good experience with them.

I only drive north on occassion and thought I better check to see what other opinions were. I was looking up some Onkyo offerings and thought maybe I could pop in and at least test in person but will def look elsewhere. Thanks again fellas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7414 of 7512 Old 05-07-2019, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Hello IT nerds out there! I have a networking question that hopefully someone can help me out with. End goal is to continue using my external HD with my new router. We use the external HD for DVD's and pictures in our living room setup.

My old Linksys router had 4 ethernet plugs along with a usb input, I used an external HD via the usb. I just got fiber internet installed yesterday and the new router has the same 4 ethernet plugs and one usb. This usb can't be used with an external HD so I'm not sure why it's on the router?

Can I keep my external HD plugged into my old Linksys router and then connect that to the new router via ethernet? If so, I plan to turn off wireless broadcasting on the Linksys, what else should I do to the settings in the Linksys to get this to work?

Or should I go dedicated NAS straight to the new router? If so, does the NAS connect to the router via usb or ethernet? If usb, I'm right back to the same problem.

Any feedback is welcome, thanks!
post #7415 of 7512 Old 05-07-2019, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I'm not sure if this will work, but you could try setting the Linksys to "bridged" mode and plug it in to your new router as you described. This will make it act as a regular switch and so any devices plugged into it will appear as any other device on your network. If the USB port still works with the router in that mode then it should work as it did before. A dedicated NAS might offer more performance but if you didn't have any issues with the old setup and what I said works, then you're good to go. The new router might have USB for debugging or firmware upgrades. Not sure.

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."

Last edited by CrusherW9; 05-07-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Typo
post #7416 of 7512 Old 05-07-2019, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherW9 View Post
I'm not sure if this will work, but you could try setting the Linksys to "bridge point" mode and plug it in to your new router as you described.
Thanks, I'm worried about having two routers running at the same time and possibly screwing something up. Other than turning off wireless broadcasting on my old router, I'm not sure what to look for or what settings to tweak...if any?

Last edited by Draden1; 05-07-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #7417 of 7512 Old 05-07-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Those two changes would be all you need. Setting it to bridged mode makes it not a router and just a switch with integrated access point so if you disable the wifi on it, it'll strictly be a physical switch as mentioned so it should work pretty seamlessly. To explain in more detail, a router handles the actual routing of the packets along with operating as a network gateway. In the case of consumer "wifi routers", they also act as DNS and DHCP servers. A switch just routes packets in an intelligent way (i.e not a hub) and when you put your router in bridged mode, the only service it provides is the switching so you won't run into any DHCP/DNS conflicts or anything like that. Up until I bought an actual switch recently, I ran my Netgear router that way in order to use the access point and extra ports it affords. Picture of my janky homelab included
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190507_145748.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2563754  

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."

Last edited by CrusherW9; 05-07-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #7418 of 7512 Old 05-07-2019, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Thanks, I'm worried about having two routers running at the same time and possibly screwing something up. Other than turning off wireless broadcasting on my old router, I'm not sure what to look for or what settings to tweak...if any?

I actually do what crusher described, mostly.
I run the ISP's router in bridge mode, and then have my own firewall behind that.
Should work just fine, depending on how the linksys handles the bridge mode.
Do you have anything else running off the linksys currently (other than the HDD?)
If you do you may want to plug those things into your new router and just let the HDD go from the linksys.

Last edited by theblackangus; 05-07-2019 at 04:31 PM.
post #7419 of 7512 Old 05-08-2019, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Annual spring clean up for our community and decided it was time to part with two old receivers that have been collecting dust. A Pioneer VSX-454 from the late 90's and a Pioneer VSX-D810S from early 2000's.

I claim to not be a hoarder but am beginning to second guess myself... 😎
post #7420 of 7512 Old 05-09-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
I haven't hit B&B either. Feedback from friends has been that it's "good"

The new IMAX in Waukee has gotten some really good reviews from friends/coworkers. A bit pricey, but they really liked it. Haven't tried it yet myself.
We went to B&B on Saturday for Avengers. My review notes (theater, not film):
  • Lobby was enormous and open, great flow
  • Had to get a beer at one concession stand, snacks at another - neither had a line, though, so it wasn't that big of a deal
  • free refills on popcorn and soda, regardless of size
  • concessions were fast, and good
  • self-serve soda machines, not enough, so there was a little bit of a backup here, but not as bad as Noodles & Co.
  • Ticket-taker was the friendliest person I've had contact with in weeks - A+++
  • We saw on one of the bigger screens, but not the 4D room
  • Picture was crisp and clear, if not a hair dim, but not annoying
  • Film broke halfway through the movie
  • Just seeing if you're still reading
  • Minimal previews and ads
  • Great sightlines
  • Restrooms were literally 5 feet from the theater, handy during a 3 hour movie
  • Comfortable, heated seats (almost expected today)
  • Sounded really good, but was quieter than I'd have liked
  • No sound bleeding from other screens, but still, quiet

Overall it was a good experience. Especially the flow of traffic, and lack of lines. That's my biggest complaint with the theaters in Ames right now, is the lobbies are a disaster, lines, lines and more lines. The things they do to fix the lines make them worse. With an industrial and systems engineering school so close by, you'd think they could find a way to fix that.

Basically, though, by the time I drive to Ankeny to go to B&B, I could've waited through the lines at the theaters here. Once the lights go down, there's not much of an advantage, except maybe the bathroom proximity, though the mall theater here is close, but the Cinemark in Ames you have to practically go to the parking lot to pee.

I don't know. If I lived in Ankeny I'd be excited about it. But I live 20 miles north of Ankeny, so I'm indifferent. It's worth checking out, though, if you're not far away. It's a nice place, and I enjoyed the experience.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

post #7421 of 7512 Old 05-09-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone have a cheap UHD disc player they're looking to unload? I'm moving everything to a PLEX server, so I don't really need to have the Oppo in the rack anymore, but I also don't want to NOT have a disc player, just in case. Don't want to invest a ton in a replacement, but might try to take advantage of the market on the Oppo players.

Bonus points if there's a rack mount solution available for the player.

post #7422 of 7512 Old 05-09-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
We saw Endgame at the B&B too!

We liked it overall. Decent presentation on the Grand screen. Our likes were similar to yours. What I didn't like:

- strobing red lights on the screen during previews and commercials. Seriously why?
- commercials. LOTS of them
- Bass overbalanced
- Annoying bright green exit sign

I'd put it above the Cinemark XD in Altoona, but below Flix. Still need to try out the IMAX in Waukee. Expecting that to take the crown AV wise.
thrillcat likes this.

post #7423 of 7512 Old 05-11-2019, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Anyone have a cheap UHD disc player they're looking to unload? I'm moving everything to a PLEX server, so I don't really need to have the Oppo in the rack anymore, but I also don't want to NOT have a disc player, just in case. Don't want to invest a ton in a replacement, but might try to take advantage of the market on the Oppo players.
Bonus points if there's a rack mount solution available for the player. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I have an extra Sony ubp-x800 i can let go for $125. Have 3 and only using/need 2. Extra due to keeping an older sony bluray player for bedroom due to smaller size.
post #7424 of 7512 Old 05-11-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have an extra Sony ubp-x800 i can let go for $125. Have 3 and only using/need 2. Extra due to keeping an older sony bluray player for bedroom due to smaller size.
I would take you up on this, but I actually just picked up an x800 on eBay. Thanks, though!

post #7425 of 7512 Old 05-13-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

John Wick 3: Parabellum

So just bringing this up again. If there is any interest in seeing this as a group, I can pick up a block of tickets for a showing this Saturday. I was thinking either Flix or the Waukee IMAX. I think the IMAX has a slightly higher per seat cost if anyone is wondering. Flix probably won't be quite as good AV wise but we can eat and get beer there in the theater.

Shooting for a 6-8 p.m. showtime. Just post here if you want to attend and which theater you prefer. I'll probably close this up noon Thursday so I can order tickets and let everyone know what the plan is. Just reply in here or PM me.

We'd also discussed mini crawl of the first 2 films. I can host up to 5 folks on Saturday afternoon for Wick #2 if there is interest.

Movie on Saturday:

1. Ryan (ZLTFUL) +1
2. Landon

Home Theater viewing Saturday afternoon:

1. Ryan (ZLTFUL)
2. Landon (Slarity)
nickbuol likes this.

Last edited by jeahrens; 05-16-2019 at 01:48 PM.
post #7426 of 7512 Old 05-13-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So just bringing this up again. If there is any interest in seeing this as a group, I can pick up a block of tickets for a showing this Saturday. I was thinking either Flix or the Waukee IMAX. I think the IMAX has a slightly higher per seat cost if anyone is wondering. Flix probably won't be quite as good AV wise but we can eat and get beer there in the theater.

Shooting for a 6-8 p.m. showtime. Just post here if you want to attend and which theater you prefer. I'll probably close this up noon Thursday so I can order tickets and let everyone know what the plan is. Just reply in here or PM me.

We'd also discussed mini crawl of the first 2 films. I can host up to 5 folks on Saturday afternoon for Wick #2 if there is interest.
I didn't think this was until next month. I'm out. We're doing the symphony on Saturday night, being all high-brow and stuff.

post #7427 of 7512 Old 05-13-2019, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I’m in. I would also be willing to host folks for John Wick or John Wick 2 at my place Sunday afternoon. 4 or 5 in relative comfort.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #7428 of 7512 Old 05-13-2019, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Movie on Saturday:

1. Ryan (ZLTFUL)

1. Ryan (ZLTFUL)
This is my favorite franchise right now and would love to attend but I am playing Mr. Mom this weekend. My wife is driving my oldest back to Colorado so I’m hanging out with my youngster. He’s 7, I could just bring him with.
post #7429 of 7512 Old 05-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry, I meant Saturday afternoon not Sunday. Like Joel’s place then mine or vice versus and then to Flix for the latest...

post #7430 of 7512 Old 05-14-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
This is my favorite franchise right now and would love to attend but I am playing Mr. Mom this weekend. My wife is driving my oldest back to Colorado so I’m hanging out with my youngster. He’s 7, I could just bring him with.
Baby sitter? Sleepover at a friends? Put him in trunk and send to Colorado

My brother forced me to watch Alien and Jaws around that age. It only took a few months before I could sleep normally or go swimming He'd be fine.

post #7431 of 7512 Old 05-16-2019, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks to those with feedback about my hard drive/router questions above. Bridge mode and turning off wireless broadcasting worked just fine, no issues.
CrusherW9 likes this.
post #7432 of 7512 Old 05-16-2019, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

Movie on Saturday:

1. Ryan (ZLTFUL) +1

1. Ryan (ZLTFUL)
I'm in on Saturday all 3 events, however I have a soccer game in Newton at noon so it's possible I will be a little late for the first showing which is fine. I actually just watched the first John Wick not too long ago.

Also apologize to everyone I haven't been active on here for quiet a while. My theater progress stalled for quiet a while due to A: Money, B: Motivation, see A... anyways I have been back at it for a while and if anyone is curious I finally updated my thread with my progress. I feel like I'm really making progress and I can see the end now so I've been working on it a lot lately. Hopefully a little now... and more when my theater is done I can contribute and participate in the conversations here again.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...theater-3.html

HUGE thanks to @jeahrens and @ZLTFUL for coming over last night and giving me opinions on how to actually setup and use my room. Can't wait to see the final result.

Last edited by slarity; 05-16-2019 at 01:11 PM.
post #7433 of 7512 Old 05-16-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarity View Post
I'm in on Saturday all 3 events, however I have a soccer game in Newton at noon so it's possible I will be a little late for the first showing which is fine. I actually just watched the first John Wick not too long ago.

Also apologize to everyone I haven't been active on here for quiet a while. My theater progress stalled for quiet a while due to A: Money, B: Motivation, see A... anyways I have been back at it for a while and if anyone is curious I finally updated my thread with my progress. I feel like I'm really making progress and I can see the end now so I've been working on it a lot lately. Hopefully a little now... and more when my theater is done I can contribute and participate in the conversations here again.

HUGE thanks to @jeahrens and @ZLTFUL for coming over last night and giving me opinions on how to actually setup and use my room. Can't wait to see the final result.
Got your ticket. We're all set!

post #7434 of 7512 Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Tweren't no problem. We are actually at very similar places in our builds. But I am hoping to get some progress on Sunday unless it decides NOT to rain and drive me outside to ride a moorsicle.

post #7435 of 7512 Old 05-18-2019, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Did anyone see the new ULED TV tech? Pretty cool idea to use an LCD panel as the backlighting so you can control the black levels much better. https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...beat-oled-tvs/

Last edited by slarity; 05-18-2019 at 07:04 AM.
post #7436 of 7512 Old 05-18-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did anyone see the new ULED TV tech? Pretty cool idea to use an LCD panel as the backlighting so you can control the black levels much better. https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...beat-oled-tvs/
That's pretty sweet. If they could make that in a 120-130" screen I'm sold with those black levels.

Old Woods Remodel
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #7437 of 7512 Old 05-18-2019, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hello All My name is James I am also in Iowa but working on my theater room Slowly lol lost with all the info on here Not 100% on what I'm doing with theater but here is the beginning images. pardon my mess.

Going to Menards tomorrow to get wire, outlets,lights, Was gonna have a Patio poured today but it's monsoon season so no go there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190515_214422.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	2568454   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190515_214509.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	2568456   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190515_214522.jpg
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	2568458  
CrusherW9 likes this.
post #7438 of 7512 Old 05-18-2019, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Stagger View Post
Hello All My name is James I am also in Iowa but working on my theater room Slowly lol lost with all the info on here Not 100% on what I'm doing with theater but here is the beginning images. pardon my mess.

Going to Menards tomorrow to get wire, outlets,lights, Was gonna have a Patio poured today but it's monsoon season so no go there.
You came to the right place. There is a good population of HT enthusiasts in the IC/CR area. And all of us are happy to help you spend ALLLLLL your money.

Welcome.
nickbuol likes this.

post #7439 of 7512 Old 05-19-2019, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

Welcome good sir!

Looks like you are well under way!
Before you get much further, have you researched how you are going to isolate the sound from the rest of the house?
Since you have a dedicated room, you have a chance to make sure you can isolate if that is your desired outcome.
There are lots of good resources on how to best do this around.

As ZLTFUL said we are all happy to help you do it right and spend your money! =)
post #7440 of 7512 Old 05-19-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Welcome James. I'm also located in CR so if you ever need a helping hand other than the fine folks online, let me know. I just got done throwing out or giving away a bunch of extra HT construction material (green glue, roofing felt, drywall mud, dry wall tape, romex, etc) but I still have a few items left included a few whisper clips of different varieties. So if there is anything you need I may be able to make a contribution that way as well.

Depending on your need for equipment, AVS IA thread 'members' also get a nice discount over at Hawkeye Audio Video in Hiawatha. They have helped save me thousands of dollars and get a great setup. Speaking of which, you are also welcome to come see my room if you need ideas or want to hear/see something in action.

Old Woods Remodel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page