Forum Jump: 
 1086Likes

post #7441 of 7508 Old 05-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Anyone else not able to pull in Fox KDSM (17) this weekend via antenna? I noticed it yesterday when it stated the channel wasn’t available. I rescanned channels and 17 doesn’t show up on the list at all anymore. My signals are nice and strong for abc, nbc, cbs, pbs, and 23. Fox is available through our ps Vue subscription so I know they are broadcasting.

I went to their site and there’s no word of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7442 of 7508 Old 05-19-2019, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
Welcome James. I'm also located in CR so if you ever need a helping hand other than the fine folks online, let me know. I just got done throwing out or giving away a bunch of extra HT construction material (green glue, roofing felt, drywall mud, dry wall tape, romex, etc) but I still have a few items left included a few whisper clips of different varieties. So if there is anything you need I may be able to make a contribution that way as well.

Depending on your need for equipment, AVS IA thread 'members' also get a nice discount over at Hawkeye Audio Video in Hiawatha. They have helped save me thousands of dollars and get a great setup. Speaking of which, you are also welcome to come see my room if you need ideas or want to hear/see something in action.
Thank You,
I am not worried about sound Isolation It is just me and my Wife. I am not going full bore like some have I am only doing Insulation and 5/8 drywall. Just got the speaker wire ran I guess it will be a 9.2 LOL so I have it set for 2 fronts, 1 center, 2 front subs, 2 side speakers, and 2 ceiling speakers. We just moved in this house in August-ish and I bought it because of the dedicated Theater room My wife keeps saying what is the big deal it's just a room to watch Tv in .......NO NO NO it is a Cinema like experience if I wanted just a room to watch TV in I think I would just watch up stairs on the 85 inch. Deewan I would be greatful to have a HT expert help I was going to go with in-wall but I heard the Klipchesh R series are rated bad on the AVS forums, I am off saturday if you wanted to stop over I think I have all the outlets soft wired looking a for a inexpensive 9.2 wall plate instead of having wires everywhere.
First I am getting a pool table but I have to take out a wall to get that in basement, then I have to finish the electrical so I can get the Dry wall guys to come in and then it will be on hold for a bit. Wife is having anxiety with my eagerness lol
deewan and theblackangus like this.
post #7443 of 7508 Old 05-19-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 786
@Raider Stagger , I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7444 of 7508 Old 05-20-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Stagger View Post
Hello All My name is James I am also in Iowa but working on my theater room Slowly lol lost with all the info on here Not 100% on what I'm doing with theater but here is the beginning images. pardon my mess.

Going to Menards tomorrow to get wire, outlets,lights, Was gonna have a Patio poured today but it's monsoon season so no go there.
Welcome aboard! You couldn't ask for a better resource for building advice than you have with Deewan.

post #7445 of 7508 Old 05-20-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The John Wick 3 day was a lot of fun. Man that is a lot of homicide for one day though! The cinematic body count has to be close to 500. Anyway thanks to Landon, Ryan and Robin for coming out and enjoying the day. And for those who haven't seen it, if you enjoyed either of the previous John Wick films, I think it's a safe bet you'll like this one too.

Really enjoyed Ryan's theater. That poor Vizio set really gives it's all trying to keep up with the sound system.

post #7446 of 7508 Old 05-20-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
The John Wick 3 day was a lot of fun. Man that is a lot of homicide for one day though! The cinematic body count has to be close to 500.
/StartOwenWilsonVoice/
"Wow!"
/EndOwenWilsonVoice/
jeahrens likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #7447 of 7508 Old 05-20-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Anyone else not able to pull in Fox KDSM (17) this weekend via antenna? I noticed it yesterday when it stated the channel wasn’t available. I rescanned channels and 17 doesn’t show up on the list at all anymore. My signals are nice and strong for abc, nbc, cbs, pbs, and 23. Fox is available through our ps Vue subscription so I know they are broadcasting.

I went to their site and there’s no word of this.
I saw fb posts that their tower was down for maintenance for a few days, possibly from a lightning strike. The only way to watch the channel is via cable.

It baffles me that they don't have better communication. It would take them like two minutes to post about the delivery method I bet at least half of their viewers use...

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
post #7448 of 7508 Old 05-20-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post
I saw fb posts that their tower was down for maintenance for a few days, possibly from a lightning strike. The only way to watch the channel is via cable.

It baffles me that they don't have better communication. It would take them like two minutes to post about the delivery method I bet at least half of their viewers use...

Cheers,
Chris
First of all, it's Sinclair Broadcast Group that we're talking about. Locally, the station is not allowed to make any such announcement until der furher in Baltimore says to make the announcement.

Secondly, that station went way downhill back in '05 when the Creative Services Director left.
chriscmore likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

post #7449 of 7508 Old 05-20-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
Hello All My name is James I am also in Iowa but working on my theater room Slowly lol lost with all the info on here Not 100% on what I'm doing with theater but here is the beginning images. pardon my mess.

Going to Menards tomorrow to get wire, outlets,lights, Was gonna have a Patio poured today but it's monsoon season so no go there.
You will be at Menards a lot... Always something that you need. My advice is to over buy, and then return what you don't use. Nothing like a late night work session only to be halted due to a missing part here or there. It won't save you many trips, but at least you should reduce times where you are missing something that you need to at least keep working.

Oh, and welcome by the way. I am over in Marion.
post #7450 of 7508 Old 05-22-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
You will be at Menards a lot... Always something that you need. My advice is to over buy, and then return what you don't use. Nothing like a late night work session only to be halted due to a missing part here or there. It won't save you many trips, but at least you should reduce times where you are missing something that you need to at least keep working.

Oh, and welcome by the way. I am over in Marion.
sorry haven't been on here much bought all the lights, and bathroom fan(went with the surface LED Globe 6 inch for theater room and bar area and 3 inch for soffit above screen), getting ready to start the wiring , found out I have to work Saturday but we are having a customer Appreciation grill out so that won't be that bad. I work at Five Seasons Tire on Edgewood rd if anyone wants some hamburgers lol
Not sure when I'm going to get to work on it waiting for company to get felt then they will re felt the pool table and I will be tearing out my wall to have that moved down into the basement , then I gotta finish the electrical but got all my pig tails made up.
I think we are gonna go with these for the sconces

https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdp...-grks3997.html

and here is the lights
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Globe-El...1261/305104058

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black sconce.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	2570358   Click image for larger version

Name:	globe-electric-recessed-lighting-kits-91261-64_1000.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	2570360  
post #7451 of 7508 Old 05-22-2019, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
sorry haven't been on here much bought all the lights, and bathroom fan(went with the surface LED Globe 6 inch for theater room and bar area and 3 inch for soffit above screen), getting ready to start the wiring , found out I have to work Saturday but we are having a customer Appreciation grill out so that won't be that bad. I work at Five Seasons Tire on Edgewood rd if anyone wants some hamburgers lol
Not sure when I'm going to get to work on it waiting for company to get felt then they will re felt the pool table and I will be tearing out my wall to have that moved down into the basement , then I gotta finish the electrical but got all my pig tails made up.
I think we are gonna go with these for the sconces

https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdp...-grks3997.html

and here is the lights
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Globe-El...1261/305104058

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend!
My only concerns would be that those lights aren't very bright. The recessed LED lights are 800 lumens, which is about the same as a 60 watt bulb, and the single bulb sconces are just 40 watt each. Do you have other lighting in the room?

I have 12 dimmable 100 watt halogen recessed lights and 6 dimmable 75 watt wall sconces, and there are times when I wish I still had more light. Sure, when watching a movie it doesn't matter, and nobody has ever said that it was dim in there, but being a room with dark-ish paint, and no windows, a few more lights would be nice.

Just food for thought. Everyone's rooms are different.
post #7452 of 7508 Old 05-23-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
My only concerns would be that those lights aren't very bright. The recessed LED lights are 800 lumens, which is about the same as a 60 watt bulb, and the single bulb sconces are just 40 watt each. Do you have other lighting in the room?

I have 12 dimmable 100 watt halogen recessed lights and 6 dimmable 75 watt wall sconces, and there are times when I wish I still had more light. Sure, when watching a movie it doesn't matter, and nobody has ever said that it was dim in there, but being a room with dark-ish paint, and no windows, a few more lights would be nice.

Just food for thought. Everyone's rooms are different.
Keep the light cone in mind when choosing lights.

Nick brings up a good thought. but lumen isn't then only thing to consider...

Another thing to remember when thinking of lighting is the light cone. With traditional can lights, the cone of light is a more narrow and is directed more at the floor than side walls. LED lights do not operate the same way. In other words, light from a traditional "can" light in the ceiling that is located 4' from the side wall would have the majority of light hit only the floor. So while there is a lot of light output, it only lights up the ground leaving the walls and surround areas dark.

Some LED lights have a VERY large light cone. In my room with LED 6" light located 4' from a side wall throws light onto the side wall hitting the wall 10-12" from the ceiling. That makes the room appear a lot brighter when the walls and ground are both lit.

Long story short, when I was building my room I found a site that calculated the suggested number of lights, based on lumen output, that I would need in my room. The site suggested I needed six 6-inch lights of a certain lumen output. I ended up purchasing four LED lights with that broad light cone and my room is brighter than I had planned.
nickbuol likes this.

Old Woods Remodel
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #7453 of 7508 Old 05-23-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
Keep the light cone in mind when choosing lights.

Nick brings up a good thought. but lumen isn't then only thing to consider...

Another thing to remember when thinking of lighting is the light cone. With traditional can lights, the cone of light is a more narrow and is directed more at the floor than side walls. LED lights do not operate the same way. In other words, light from a traditional "can" light in the ceiling that is located 4' from the side wall would have the majority of light hit only the floor. So while there is a lot of light output, it only lights up the ground leaving the walls and surround areas dark.

Some LED lights have a VERY large light cone. In my room with LED 6" light located 4' from a side wall throws light onto the side wall hitting the wall 10-12" from the ceiling. That makes the room appear a lot brighter when the walls and ground are both lit.

Long story short, when I was building my room I found a site that calculated the suggested number of lights, based on lumen output, that I would need in my room. The site suggested I needed six 6-inch lights of a certain lumen output. I ended up purchasing four LED lights with that broad light cone and my room is brighter than I had planned.
I am putting these on a dimmer, this will not be a socialize room only Movies, and football.
We were doing these light all throughout the basement.

Dewann did you have that website?

As far as not bright enough They gave my wife a headache in Home Depot looking at them lol
post #7454 of 7508 Old 05-23-2019, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
One thing to keep in mind is resale. If you ever intend to sell you may get some "crazy" person who wants to buy your home and turn your theater into a multi purpose, kids play room, craft room, who knows what. I shot myself in the foot a bit on my first theater build by putting plenty enough light for my theater purposes but we got a lot of comments when we went to sell about there being too little light in the room.

I am now along the line of thinking that I can control the light that's there if there's too much but it's much harder for me to add light after construction.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
post #7455 of 7508 Old 05-23-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dewann did you have that website?
I'm sorry I don't have the link anymore. It's been a long two years since I visited the site and I don't see it mentioned in my thread anywhere. I simply recall entering sq ft, ceiling height and light (bulb) output.

Old Woods Remodel
post #7456 of 7508 Old 05-23-2019, 08:12 PM

I don't ever plan on moving I have Raidered my house up lol I am not what you call a casual fan the garage was done in 3 weeks after we moved in LOL
But I do see where you are coming from
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38049942_10156728068937287_523633882923270144_o.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	2570934   Click image for larger version

Name:	45206617_10156960646622287_1385675196945399808_o.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2570936   Click image for larger version

Name:	11206462_10153294862422287_4499182164569617143_o.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	2570938   Click image for larger version

Name:	10957213_10153294911642287_576556729704085938_n.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	2570940   Click image for larger version

Name:	38122111_10156728148737287_275701995203985408_n.jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	2570942  

post #7457 of 7508 Old 05-24-2019, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't ever plan on moving I have Raidered my house up lol I am not what you call a casual fan the garage was done in 3 weeks after we moved in LOL
But I do see where you are coming from
Hmm, how did such a big Raider fan end up in Cedar Rapids? Being in Des Moines for 16 years I've met plenty of Vikings & Packers fans and the occasional Chiefs fan. In my opinion though, this market is dominated by Bears fans (myself included).
post #7458 of 7508 Old 05-24-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm, how did such a big Raider fan end up in Cedar Rapids? Being in Des Moines for 16 years I've met plenty of Vikings & Packers fans and the occasional Chiefs fan. In my opinion though, this market is dominated by Bears fans (myself included).
I am a former Raider season ticket holder. From the original Gruden era.
Raider Stagger likes this.

post #7459 of 7508 Old 05-24-2019, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Ahh, so you were hanging out with Rich Gannon and Tim Brown then, huh?
post #7460 of 7508 Old 05-24-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ahh, so you were hanging out with Rich Gannon and Tim Brown then, huh?
Tim Brown and Jerry Rice. Yes.

And, as a matter of fact, I did a full weekend shoot with Rich Gannon and his family, showing the outreach and philanthropic activities they did during the off season. Really nice family.

post #7461 of 7508 Old 05-24-2019, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Tim Brown and Jerry Rice. Yes.

And, as a matter of fact, I did a full weekend shoot with Rich Gannon and his family, showing the outreach and philanthropic activities they did during the off season. Really nice family.
I have no doubt he has a nice family but the more interesting people are the knuckleheads. Janikowski was a train wreck and he would have been there (all liquored up) during your time.
post #7462 of 7508 Old 05-24-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have no doubt he has a nice family but the more interesting people are the knuckleheads. Janikowski was a train wreck and he would have been there (all liquored up) during your time.
I was at the Raiders HQ when they drafted Janikowski. He was a train wreck, but he was automatic for many years.

It's interesting, though, with the Raiders' bad boy reputation, that era was a bunch of really good dudes. Napolean Kaufman was an ordained minister, Gannon was really nice. Jon Richie was a beast, and a Stanford grad, Tim Brown was super cool. Jerry Rice was okay.

post #7463 of 7508 Old 05-24-2019, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's interesting, though, with the Raiders' bad boy reputation, that era was a bunch of really good dudes.
Well to be fair, by this point Al Davis was being dragged around like he was in Weekend At Bernie's. If he would have had it together at this time I'm sure he would have continued his not so great drafting.
post #7464 of 7508 Old 05-24-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well to be fair, by this point Al Davis was being dragged around like he was in Weekend At Bernie's. If he would have had it together at this time I'm sure he would have continued his not so great drafting.
Absolutely false. He was still very active and relatively healthy at that point. He was on the practice field every day. Which is why Gruden left the first time.

post #7465 of 7508 Old 05-24-2019, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Absolutely false.
That comment actually made me laugh out loud!
post #7466 of 7508 Old 05-24-2019, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 289
thrillcat likes this.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #7467 of 7508 Old 05-24-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Well It all started when I was 10 and I watched my first Raider game. I have always lived here well I lived in Marengo, but moved to Cedar Rapids I go to every KC game except this year I am going to The Home Opener Monday Broncos game and Vikings game in Minnesota I won't lie the real reason I followed the team was because of the Logo, I went to the Ravens game 2 years ago and went to the headquarters and got to meet Derek Carr he stopped us as we were walking out of the headquarters and flagged us over gave us autographs and asked us where we were from talked with us for about 15 min and other players had to either stop or go around him Both Amari Cooper and Jano drove about 50mph out of the Parking lot Cooper in his BMW and Jano in his Ferrari, hell jano kicked that sucker sideways I'm guessing it was the week they told him he was done lol Then I went to All the Raider images and spent about 800$ on Raider merch. went to the malls and met Lincoln Kennedy again and got his autograpgh, by the way I don't like fords but Carr's Ford Raptor all rhino lined was awesome.
post #7468 of 7508 Old 05-24-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
That is not what you said when I sent you those photos from Ann Arbor.

post #7469 of 7508 Old 05-24-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is not what you said when I sent you those photos from Ann Arbor.
Look you don't have to be a football fan to appreciate some Dick Butkus nudes.

ZLTFUL get to work on that theater!

post #7470 of 7508 Old 05-24-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Look you don't have to be a football fan to appreciate some Dick Butkus nudes.
Well now I'm confused. Based on the sheer volume of Dick Butkus nudes you have stockpiled on your NAS, I thought for SURE you were a football fan. Now I'm not so sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page