Forum Jump: 
 1103Likes

post #7501 of 7545 Old 07-05-2019, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I don’t remember anyone mentioning the movie Us on here, so here it goes. This is written/directed by Jordan Peele, the guy that made Get Out (I enjoyed Us quite a bit more). It’s a rare movie in that it had me completely engaged/entertained at the same time. After it was done I was immediately thinking about what just happened, which led to a fun discussion with the people I watched it with.

As for the HT side of it, the pic was good but what modern movie doesn’t look good, unless it’s some crazy low budget film. The audio was above average as there were a number of impactful directional ques circling around us (still slumming it with regular old 7.1). The music was used nicely throughout and added quite a bit to their scenes as well.

Recommended!

Last edited by Draden1; 07-05-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7502 of 7545 Old 07-05-2019, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I am a fan of Jordan Peele's horror/thriller writing.
What makes it more entertaining is knowing his comedy writing as well and knowing that it is coming from the same brain.

I felt Get Out was definitely the better film but really enjoyed Us as well. Just my dos pesos.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #7503 of 7545 Old 07-07-2019, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Finally bought an AVR! Got a Denon X4500h! Prepping for surround sound when I move in a few weeks. It's 1am so I didn't run Audyssey yet but I'm interested to see how well it does. It also frees up my A500 so I'm going to run it bridged for a bass shaker I made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190708_010257.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	949.8 KB
ID:	2588642  
jeahrens and Draden1 like this.

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7504 of 7545 Old 07-09-2019, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
So by mid July you'll have them broke in enough that we can come over and check them out right

And I second that they do look really purdy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by techtvman View Post
Thanks!

haha, Between a fishing trip in a week and an extended 4th of July weekend, work on the house, yeah mid July sounds about right! lol
Its nearly mid July but I am finally ready to show these guys off if anyone wants to take a listen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherW9 View Post
Finally bought an AVR! Got a Denon X4500h! Prepping for surround sound when I move in a few weeks. It's 1am so I didn't run Audyssey yet but I'm interested to see how well it does. It also frees up my A500 so I'm going to run it bridged for a bass shaker I made.
We all do dumb things from time to time: staking a tent on a beach, running audyssey calibrations on the fourth of July. So at least you didn't do what a friend and i did a few years back and try and run audyssey on the night of July 3rd/4th lol. Why did we think that would be ok, lol, BOOM/BANG/POP! SH*T!

7.1.4 system:
JVC NX7 / 120" Seymour Screen | Marantz SR7011 | Emotiva XPA 3 Gen 3 | Nvidia Shield | OPPO BDP 203 UHD | Tivo Roamio OTA | Simple Control Remote | 4x B&W 600 series surrounds | 4x Definitive Technology AW 6500 Atmos | B&W 700 Series Front LCR | Rythmik FV15 | Insteon Automation | Philips Hue accent lighting
post #7505 of 7545 Old 07-11-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2085 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Its nearly mid July but I am finally ready to show these guys off if anyone wants to take a listen!

We all do dumb things from time to time: staking a tent on a beach, running audyssey calibrations on the fourth of July. So at least you didn't do what a friend and i did a few years back and try and run audyssey on the night of July 3rd/4th lol. Why did we think that would be ok, lol, BOOM/BANG/POP! SH*T!
This weekend is full, next week Tuesday/Thursday would work. Or if next weekend is better, I'd be available during the day Saturday or Sunday.

post #7506 of 7545 Old 07-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This weekend is full, next week Tuesday/Thursday would work. Or if next weekend is better, I'd be available during the day Saturday or Sunday.
next weekend works!

7.1.4 system:
JVC NX7 / 120" Seymour Screen | Marantz SR7011 | Emotiva XPA 3 Gen 3 | Nvidia Shield | OPPO BDP 203 UHD | Tivo Roamio OTA | Simple Control Remote | 4x B&W 600 series surrounds | 4x Definitive Technology AW 6500 Atmos | B&W 700 Series Front LCR | Rythmik FV15 | Insteon Automation | Philips Hue accent lighting
post #7507 of 7545 Old 07-11-2019, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Quote:
next weekend works!
I’d definitely try to make a daytime demo next weekend, I’d like to check out those speakers!
post #7508 of 7545 Old 07-12-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
I’d definitely try to make a daytime demo next weekend, I’d like to check out those speakers!
sounds like a plan!

7.1.4 system:
post #7509 of 7545 Old 07-16-2019, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
sounds like a plan!
How does 2pm Saturday sound for everyone?
ZLTFUL likes this.

7.1.4 system:
post #7510 of 7545 Old 07-17-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How does 2pm Saturday sound for everyone?
I can make that work.

post #7511 of 7545 Old 07-17-2019, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mitch, can you text me? I lost your contact info in a tragic phone death incident.

Thanks!

post #7512 of 7545 Old 07-17-2019, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Mitch, can you text me? I lost your contact info in a tragic phone death incident.

Thanks!
done.

Draden1 or anyone else pm me for info.

7.1.4 system:
post #7513 of 7545 Old 07-22-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
done.

Draden1 or anyone else pm me for info.
Thanks to @techtvman for hosting on Saturday. I feel terrible that you ran into technical problems. Of course that would happen with a demo. What I heard I liked. We'll definitely have to revisit it when things are back to normal.

post #7514 of 7545 Old 07-22-2019, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks to @techtvman for hosting on Saturday. I feel terrible that you ran into technical problems. Of course that would happen with a demo. What I heard I liked. We'll definitely have to revisit it when things are back to normal.
Thanks everyone for coming. The technical problems sucked, i wish that wouldn't have happened esp right before our demo but I should have the warranty replacement part on Friday. If anyone's feeling like a revisit you're more than welcome to. Hope you also enjoyed the atmos demos with the 4 overheads.

7.1.4 system:
post #7515 of 7545 Old 07-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like it worked out for me then that I wasn't able to make it...hehe.

Sorry, between a sick cat and having to run to Hiawatha and back between vet visits, I went from a lazy Saturday to absolute chaos...

Here is my story I posted over on the Polk Audio forum...

I proposed to my wife late summer of 2011.
Part of my jokingly corny proposal was, “I should get a new motorcycle and you should get a new husband...”
At the time, I was completely content with my 2000 Ducati Monster M900i.e., named Sofia (She who bites)

But honestly, my soon to be bride actually enjoyed my motorcycle addiction and wanted to join along on my adventures.
Fast forward to January of 2012, we get wed and on our honeymoon we are chatting about what bike I would consider to be the best option for 2 up riding but would still give me a sultry minx of a mistress like Sophia.
After some back and forth, we decided that my next ride would be a 2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring...dubbed Angelica
We ordered her the following weekend and it is quite literally the newest thing I had ever owned to this point...
I mean she was still in the crate when we were introduced.

Over the next several years, we had many adventures...a good portion of the lower 48 was travelled and we went places...beautiful places...

But the last trip of more than 300 miles and longer than a weekend was in 2015 when we went to Indianapolis for the final MotoGP race there via Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South and North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana and then Illinois and finally back home to Iowa.

Over the last few years, my trips on Angelica have gotten smaller and smaller and my time with her less and less of an adventure.
So recently, I began wondering what next?
To answer that question seemed like kismet.

My buddy Thomas sent me a text asking me if I was still interested in purchasing his bike.
I asked him to give me a few days to think it over and made a few phone calls to potential buyers for my Multistrada.
On the third and final call, I reached out to a local dealership friend who didn’t hesitate when I stated my asking price and so, Friday, I said goodbye to Angelica. I got to keep some of the parts I had put on her over the years and all of the memories.

But that brings us to her successor as she can never be replaced.
Enter, Rufina.
She is a 2012 Ducati Panigale 1199 with quite literally every single performance and accessory mod I would EVER do.
And the mileage is barely broken in with all services up to date. I know her history almost as well as I knew Angelica’s.

So today, my wife and I drove out to Hiawatha, IA and handed over the cash for this sultry Italian seductress...

And of course, what good relationship doesn’t start with some drama...I got to ride her home through this...

shivaji and CrusherW9 like this.

post #7516 of 7545 Old 07-22-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
having to run to Hiawatha....

My buddy Thomas sent me a text asking me if I was still interested in purchasing his bike.
If your buddy's name was Ben, I would have sworn you purchased your new bike from a neighbor up the street from me in Hiawatha. I never got a good look at his bike to see what brand or model my neighbor owned (he lives 5 houses down), but he sold his red bike this weekend and it had many of the same lines and looks as your new bike. He said he wanted to spend more time tinkering with his M3 and get away from the bike.

Congrats on your new bike. She is a beaut.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #7517 of 7545 Old 07-22-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Beautiful bike.
post #7518 of 7545 Old 07-23-2019, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
If your buddy's name was Ben, I would have sworn you purchased your new bike from a neighbor up the street from me in Hiawatha. I never got a good look at his bike to see what brand or model my neighbor owned (he lives 5 houses down), but he sold his red bike this weekend and it had many of the same lines and looks as your new bike. He said he wanted to spend more time tinkering with his M3 and get away from the bike.

Congrats on your new bike. She is a beaut.
You would have known it was this bike for sure...it has an Austin Racing exhaust on it which has been referred to as "titanium straight pipe" because of how loud it is.
On the way home, each time I passed a semi, I would roll on the throttle because it really did sound exactly like a NASCAR LOL.

post #7519 of 7545 Old 07-29-2019, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Being that I am on vacation this week, I decided to do some painting in the theater.
I *used* to get the "home theater" paint they sold at Lowe's but apparently they stopped carrying it.
So I told the guy at the counter that I wanted the blackest black that they had in matte.

I threw a coat up on the end of the theater the screen will be on and this stuff is scary dark.
With the lights on, it's like any other really clean black. But with the lights off and the only light coming into the room from the doorway, the front half of the room looks like looking into the deepest darkest bowels of the abyss.

Pretty sure I picked the right color black.
nickbuol, deewan and jeahrens like this.

post #7520 of 7545 Old 08-21-2019, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Travis, I believe I found the video I am going to have you use to create my pre-roll...that's assuming we ever get pre-rolls working right. LOL

post #7521 of 7545 Old 08-21-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Nice! Have you checked around to find it in a downloadable, multichannel audio format?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #7522 of 7545 Old 08-22-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Nice! Have you checked around to find it in a downloadable, multichannel audio format?

I did some hunting last night for the same thing, and after a bit of digging, it seems like this is only available in stereo (listed as THX Spatial audio - a "simulated" surround effect using stereo speakers)...

Upmix to Dolby Surround or DTS Neural X to fire all of your speakers I guess.

Haven't listened to it in stereo or in my theater yet, so not sure how effective that would be, but probably the only option for playback beyond 2 channels.
post #7523 of 7545 Old 08-22-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
I did some hunting last night for the same thing, and after a bit of digging, it seems like this is only available in stereo (listed as THX Spatial audio - a "simulated" surround effect using stereo speakers)...

Upmix to Dolby Surround or DTS Neural X to fire all of your speakers I guess.

Haven't listened to it in stereo or in my theater yet, so not sure how effective that would be, but probably the only option for playback beyond 2 channels.
Maybe by the early 2030's when ZLTFUL's theater is done they'll have it released in multichannel.

P.S. Maybe we need like an Amish barn raising for his theater. A big group of us comes over one day gets a bunch done. Just with swearing and booze.
nickbuol, Rowan611 and thrillcat like this.

post #7524 of 7545 Old 08-22-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Maybe by the early 2030's when ZLTFUL's theater is done they'll have it released in multichannel.

P.S. Maybe we need like an Amish barn raising for his theater. A big group of us comes over one day gets a bunch done. Just with swearing and booze.
Count me in...the Amish methods rock!
post #7525 of 7545 Old 08-30-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:

@dlbeck @ZLTFUL
Hey guys. I know I haven’t been active at all here. I have been occupied with a baby. But, I am more than willing to come down and help. Gotta start somewhere. Just let me know when and if I need to bring anything, ie tools, beer, food, beer or beer.

Mike

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #7526 of 7545 Old 09-03-2019, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

I need to get back into working on the basement. Unfortunately, nice summer weather distracts from the basement work...motorcycles and garage/yard work then takes over when I can be outside.

post #7527 of 7545 Old 09-05-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just a couple things I saw in the NX/RSxxxx owners thread I thought I would pass along.

The first is that JVC is implementing frame by frame tonemapping for HDR in the projector in the November firmware. This is a huge development and something previously only done by expensive HTPC's running MadVR or a Lumagen. What that means is each frame is analyzed and the projector adjusts the blackfloor/brightness/saturation to be optimal for that frame. Right now tonemapping (without MadVR/Lumagen) is done by the metadata on disc. Which simply gives the projector the total range of the material. While better than nothing some scenes don't hit the peak levels defined in the metadata and thus don't have the punch they could. So this update should be a sizable jump in picture quality and make HDR more or less plug and play.

The bad news, the mid level model (NX7/RS2000) is going to see a $1K price hike. So if you're considering one, I'd get my order in sooner than later.

post #7528 of 7545 Old 09-18-2019, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Well I would like to thank Joel for spending my money.
I have now joined the NX7 club.

But just to make sure Joel isn't completely happy, I will be installing the biggest 4:3 screen I can fit =O
(J/K of course)

Now that I have a projector that doesn't totally embarrass me, I swear I will have a get together before end of year.

Im putting the finishing touches on my Marties, need to build a riser and projector mount.

With any luck I may have a fairly decent viewing area before ZLTFUL does......=P
post #7529 of 7545 Old 09-19-2019, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
With any luck I may have a fairly decent viewing area before ZLTFUL does......=P
At this rate, I don't doubt it!

post #7530 of 7545 Old 09-19-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Well I would like to thank Joel for spending my money.
I have now joined the NX7 club.

But just to make sure Joel isn't completely happy, I will be installing the biggest 4:3 screen I can fit =O
(J/K of course)

Now that I have a projector that doesn't totally embarrass me, I swear I will have a get together before end of year.

Im putting the finishing touches on my Marties, need to build a riser and projector mount.

I know I said it an email, but congrats again! That's a big upgrade in every way and I'm sure it looks great. Definitely going to make it over to check it out soon.

Well technically wouldn't you want 1.37:1 for Academy films? Or are you going 4:3 (1.33:1) to get Weezy Jefferson as big as you can? I mean hey I know you like what you like. No judging here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page