Any Jacksonville Florida HT people? - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 852Likes

post #1321 of 1800 Old 01-29-2018, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 177
What about something like this? Fairly cheap. I think this might be the one Chris has?

https://www.amazon.com/BellO-ATC402-...rds=AV+cabinet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1800 Old 01-29-2018, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Thanks Matt that looks like a good option. Somebody who reviewed even added that fan cooling system and said it worked out well. So for like 400 bucks I could get both. Much better than a $600+ professional tower/rack piece.

How is the build quality Chris?

Last edited by soundwave_rider; 01-29-2018 at 11:48 AM.
post #1323 of 1800 Old 01-29-2018, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave_rider View Post
I will try to break these down as they were asked. As far as goals I am really not sure. Want to get new LRC and move my current bookshelves as surrounds until later on where I may change those but that is much further down the road. As far as order I was thinking subs (just because they would be easiest for first DIY) then LRC. But this was before the UM18 was out of stock until 3/8. Atmos would be the last speakers in my current list I think.

Budget: Probably looking at like 1,000 for the LRC and an additional 1,000 for subs/amp (plus I plan to sell my current sub to add to that total)

Additional furniture may just be like coffee table but the couch and recliner in the photos will be staying where they are.

Listening levels for general TV are usually around 40-50 (Onkyo their volume from 0-100), movies usually 55-60 (if the wifey is not home I watch louder 60-70)

A projector would be sweet but never considered it before. Your suggestion of dropping it over the hallway would work. I have niches on both sides of living room. This would probably come at the very end due to the cost, but lets just say TV for now.

I would be open to a equipment tower for sure but most I have found online are pricey. Tried looking on craigslist but have not found any recently.

I completely agree with the size and sensitivity. Was thinking 10" was as small as I wanted to go but with a 1,000 budget for the LRC it seemed like 12" would push it higher. The Mrs. is pretty cool but I am not sure how keen she would be on having a center like a HTM or Fusion speaker, may have to look more like a dedicated center. The 88 Special from DIYSG may be better cause the sensitivity is close to the HTM and Fusions.

You kind of lost me here but thats why I am looking forward to hearing Chads and possibly others before deciding. I know I made some poor decisions when getting my first AVR, wish I knew more about preamps when I bought.

May take you up on this later down the road. I think a drop down would be sweet.

Honestly we hate the A/V case, we have had it for like 7 years and always talk about getting rid of it but never do just because it has served its purpose. Moving on to a new tower would be more than fine with me, just need to find a good option.

Yes it is a large room and yes its not the most ideal setup. We love our gigantic couch but it is always a problem to fit it in a rental house so yea the positioning of everything is by necessity. 5 channels would be a huge upgrade for me so that is a plus and the addition of ATMOS would be sweet and not all that expensive compared to my first 2 big upgrades.

Dang straight to 4 subs. This is why I love you people. I was thinking more like 2 at first. I have never listened to sealed subs before and never heard HT subs bigger than 12" as well so once again I am going to be getting a lot of use out of the GTG at Chad's place. I would need to ask how most people run their cables? I have pulled up the carpet in my hallway to get speaker wire underneath but with subs wouldn't the cable be much thicker? I do like the thought about using them as speaker stands and could probably get WAF for that but not sure about going ported due to the size, but maybe I'll have to ask for forgiveness rather than permission and see how she handles it

What do you usually use for room diagrams? I work with AutoCAD so I can knock up some layouts in there with dimensions no problem.

Thanks for the all the help so far and so much easier to go through everything on here.
OK, so now that we have some idea of your goals and budget, lets get started.

Subs:

If you want to do subs first, that's cool. You don't have to do 4 at first, lol, but it may be cheaper. And no worries about the UM being out of stock. I have another idea. You should consider the Dayton HO's. Chad and Matt can chime in here as they're more familiar with them and that's what Chad uses in his sealed boxes up front. They're cheaper than the UM's too. Supposedly they hit a little more in the mid-upper sub freq range while the UM's hit more down low. But when you hear them at Chad's place, you'll see they perform pretty well.

Next you need to decide which enclosure you want to put them in. Then we can talk about pricing options as sealed vs ported are a little different but either should keep you around $1k for a pair all in with drivers, boxes/wood, parts and the amp. What's the WAF for sub boxes? You should discuss this with her. Sealed will most likely be easiest and cheapest (a couple options from PE and DIYSG) to put them in one of them 4 cu ft boxes with External dimensions: 23" H x 20" W x 20.75" D.

Ported will give you more output, and that would help as you have a large room to pressurize, but are generally much bigger boxes and take more time to build. See the Marty sub thread, https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...tysub-faq.html, for more info. You can get a couple boxes that are close in size to the sealed 4cu ft box. I have a pair of mini-martys w/ the UM's and they rock. But really, if size is important to you just go with the smaller boxes the the Cube or Micro.

Now I'll also add this. You may want to start a thread and ask for some help in the DIY sub-forum. I haven't learned how to use WinISD yet, but other there have. You could ask them to show you how to model the UM and HO in the sealed vs the ported options using the iNuke6k as a power source and see what they come up with. That may also sway your decision.

Regardless of which enclosure you decide, I'd plan on getting the Behringer iNuke6000DSP. The extra power is worth it and so is getting the DSP. When you look how much the drop in price is for a non-DSP or 3k model, it's negligible. It can be had for ~$340 new. Sometimes you can find people selling them used but honestly, they are known to occasionally have issues so it's worth it to just get new and have the warranty to back you up. Plus, good news for you is they have a service center right by you guys up in Jax. And noise likely won't be a concern for you if you get that a/v cabinet.

LCR:

I have the HTM and so does Matt so I'm a little partial to them. Chad has the Fusions and loves them but I think they are a little more in your face. We really haven't had a true comparison with them side by side and level matched for sound output to tell though. Regardless, I personally would suggest keeping the front 3 LCR the same so as not to have any sound differences. Then keep the surrounds/ATMOS the same. But that may be up to you and the WAF.

But I'll also say this, you should measure the front of the wall where they will go, how much space is there, and then see how much gap there is where the center will go from the MLP. That may also be important for how and where you will fit your subs. The HTM's are also much lighter than the Fusions. Different MDF and lighter driver is used. That may or may not be important to you, but you should know all the angles just the same.

As far as other options, I'm not sure. I know the HTM's were designed for HT while many others were for full range audio and music. You also may not use the full capability of some of those MTM designs like the 1099's. Might need to do some reading on the forums and ask the questions. But pricing should keep at or below your budget of $1k with driver, flat pack, parts and assembled xover. And you could always take a design like the F10 or HTM10 and do a custom box for the center so it looks more wider than taller.

Surrounds:

We'll get more in detail about those later since they're further down on your to-do list. But I'll say you'll likely go for the volts. You have a larger space so I wouldn't recommend anything less than 8-10" on the driver size. I personally like to have all speakers crossed over at 80Hz. I would be worried anything less than 8" and you might have issues. Chad has the 6" version but he has a much smaller room and not sure what xover he has them set at.

I'd also recommend considering the Concentric8's. I really love them. Again, we haven't had a chance to pit them against Matt's Volt10's (he's too lazy to climb a ladder ) so not able to say much there. But they're supposedly made with higher grade material/components. And DIYSG was having a blow out on them with ready to go cabinets. But I don't see them on the new website. That may be worth looking into and if they still have them, moving them up in line of priority before they sell out. They can be used for LCR.

Receiver:

Hmmm... it's been a while since I had an Onkyo. but normally there is 2 different ways a receiver has the volume set. Usually with a negative sign in front that indicates the level of sound below reference, with 0 being at reference. And to answer your question from before, what I was talking about what the SPL, sound pressure level, which is measured in decibels, dB. THX has a recommended level of 85dB with peaks (ie explosions) of 105dB. With subs, that level is 10dB hotter. So 95dB with peaks of 115dB. This is considered reference level. In your case, it should be on a scale, like you said, of 0-100. that should be the amount of dB. Also, as you crank up the volume and hit reference, it should say on the display screen of the receiver. So to test this: without anything playing, turn up the volume on the receiver and see if "Ref" or "reference" flashes on the screen when you go somewhere above 75. Sometimes receivers will reset what reference is based on their own room correction algorithms.

But more to the point, I'll bring my sound meter and also Chris' Omnimic so we can test it and you get an idea of what it sounds like. I'll ask Matt to bring his too cuz I think it's more accurate than mine. Now reference can be considered loud, but often it's because of distortion that causes fatigue in the ear. A clean signal and speakers and amps that can handle that and you will see it can be listened to much louder than most realize and/or are used to. And I gurantee your Polk's cannot do anywhere near reference with that listening distance and power source.

Projector:

We'll get to that, but no worries, It's definitely doable. Besides, I'd wait and see what the fall brings after most HT versions are announced at CEDIA. But I'll say you'll likely need to look for an ALR screen being in the living room. And since it's a drop down, it most likely will be a tab-tensioned. Maybe ask in the official thread for some info if their ALR screen material is thick enough for a regular motorized drop down. Otherwise, the only ALR tab-tensioned I know of that's cheap is Elite's Starling. But it might be a good idea to get head start in your research there. Tab-tensioned can get expensive so may want to keep an eye on the used market.

https://elitescreens.com/front/front...ail/product/36

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens...grey+5d+series

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-scr...l#post55575354

Equipment Tower:

Look's like you're off to a good start there. But let me still suggest that you plan to move it off to the side. A lot of LED lights can be distracting/annoying. Especially when you move to a projector. Also, that tower may interfere with placement of the speakers and/or subs. Having it off to the side make things a lot easier.

Room Diagram:

The best way I can say to do this is measure everything. Angles and distances from MLP to where subs, LCR, surrounds, AMTOS might go. Distances between expected speakers/subs and furniture. Everything. Makes it easier to figure out what size boxes you can fit and optimum placements for sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 1800 Old 01-29-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Thanks Matt that looks like a good option. Somebody who reviewed even added that fan cooling system and said it worked out well. So for like 400 bucks I could get both. Much better than a $600+ professional tower/rack piece.

How is the build quality Chris?
It was perfect for my purposes. Build quality is good. Very easy to assemble. Fits all my gear just fine.
post #1325 of 1800 Old 01-30-2018, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked: 2551
i bought a stereo rack on craigslist for like 50 bucks about a year ago....zero chance im spending 400 bucks on something to hold my receiver..lol..

but good advice from william...id start with subs first cause i like bass.

and me personally..i skipped the whole winisd and modeling thing..i just went with tested and well reviewed products and went for it.

very happy with the results..and yes I would agree the HTM's were a little more laid back and the Fusions were a little more in your face..but i am 99% movies and games, so I actually preferred that sound for my situation....

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 4 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual Eminence NSW 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP
post #1326 of 1800 Old 01-30-2018, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

well..i finally figured out the loud humm/buzz..it took me a while and i made a mess..but i did it..

i first went and unplugged direct tv box....no change

i unplugged the amp and used a long extension cord and plugged the inuke into every other outlet in the room...no change.

so i figured maybe it was the speakon wire so close to the other wires along the baseboards causing interference..so I painstakingly removed all the cable holder thingies from my baseboards that i spent an hour on the previous few nights installing and seperated all the wire and just ran the wire by itself to the inuke...no change

so then i took out the inuke 3000 and just ran the 6000 by itself...no change

i unplugged all non essential items like fridge...no change

finally i went behind the stereo and checked all cables..it ended up being the y splitter...i tried a different one..and viola..no more buzzing..there is a slight slight one left, but u have to really put ur head next to the sub to hear it, but its very faint..

all in all happy i got it figured out..would of been really sucky for u guys to come out and have to hear that..now i got lots of work to do to get everything reset up and work on my wire management...getting that rack into the closet took me alot longer then expected..hate going into that attic..its spooky up there.
biliam1982 and Mattcc22 like this.

post #1327 of 1800 Old 01-30-2018, 06:44 AM

The Dayton reference series subs are very nice. They have more usable excursion than the specs list per data-bass.com. Like William said, the UM series can play a little lower and have around a +3db advantage over the reference, but still get plenty loud unless you are a complete bass head. The reference series has lower distortion. I did just check and the UM15 is in stock. The UM15 is around $50 more than the 15" reference. Even though 18" drivers have become the norm, a 15" driver is no slouch and will get plenty loud for most people, especially with 2-4 in a room, and will allow a slightly smaller box than an 18". All things to consider.

On the speaker side, I wouldn't rule out the 8" designs either. They have had lots of praise at get togethers even when compared to the larger designs like the 1099's, Fusion15's etc...
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #1328 of 1800 Old 01-30-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattcc22 View Post
The Dayton reference series subs are very nice. They have more usable excursion than the specs list per data-bass.com. Like William said, the UM series can play a little lower and have around a +3db advantage over the reference, but still get plenty loud unless you are a complete bass head. The reference series has lower distortion. I did just check and the UM15 is in stock. The UM15 is around $50 more than the 15" reference. Even though 18" drivers have become the norm, a 15" driver is no slouch and will get plenty loud for most people, especially with 2-4 in a room, and will allow a slightly smaller box than an 18". All things to consider.

On the speaker side, I wouldn't rule out the 8" designs either. They have had lots of praise at get togethers even when compared to the larger designs like the 1099's, Fusion15's etc...
matt..not a bad idea at all on the 15's...much cheaper then the 18s and can still slam...4 15's and he would be set and save money in the process. one 6000 DSP could easily drive 4 dayton ho 15's.

post #1329 of 1800 Old 01-30-2018, 05:29 PM

I can't be the only one without 18's in the Jax club! I feel like a little kid telling his mom that all my friends will make fun of my small cones! Haha
chadsmith013 likes this.

Last edited by soundwave_rider; 01-31-2018 at 05:09 AM.
post #1330 of 1800 Old 01-31-2018, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can't be the only one without 18's in the Jax club! I feel like a little kid telling his mom that all my friends will make fun of my small cones! Haha
lol, thats pretty funny..but if it helps..Matt doesnt have 18s.

post #1331 of 1800 Old 01-31-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

soooo...i work last night at getting the wires all back together..getting them back on the baseboards and just trying to get everything cleaned up...fire everything up..and now the MBM's wont come on...I troubleshooted for about 30 minutes and finally determined it was a faulty speak-on cable...yeah the one i just spent 20 bucks on...and of course its one thats going thru the attic...so it looks like i have to go back in the attic and re-run another speak-on cable..this one isnt long enough so im going to have to add in some additional wire to it...ughhhhh...moving that stand has been a huge pain in the neck!!!

post #1332 of 1800 Old 02-04-2018, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Thanks for letting us play with your system Chad. I wish I had low end response like you have. The theater looked great.

Charles, thanks for letting us demo your system as well. Those speakers and subs truly are a work of art.

Had a great time hanging out. It was great to see everyone.

Chris
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #1333 of 1800 Old 02-05-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@filtor1 @Mattcc22 @biliam1982 @soundwave_rider and Charles thanks to all for coming out and listening and helping critique my system..I enjoyed it..I put alot of time and hard work in that room and it was fun to see others with similar interests thank that i did pretty good on it...I admit my knowledge of the techie side is pretty much non existant, but its all still fun to me..I appreciate all the help Saturday making my system sound even better... and of course a special thanks to Matt...AKA matty ice..my system would not be where it is without your help..I truly appreciate it.

next up....GTG at Williams..

and I thought Soundwaves expressions were great..i could tell the wheels were spinning in his head trying to figure out what he wanted.

and filtor1...when u finish your subs in 2019, you will have low end like no other...

kinda was concerned with mine bottoming out like that, but thankfully i dont generally play it so loud.

post #1334 of 1800 Old 02-05-2018, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

@chadsmith013 @Mattcc22 @filtor1 @XBR11 @todd1010 @grnwnv @rselby @HighEndWire @easycruise @jsrdlr @gtwizard @dengland @omgwtfbbqcrew @mikedrum3000 @jazzzione @Alan Dail @soundwave_rider

Did I forget to tag anyone?

OK everyone... We had a pretty successful GTG to help Chad fine tune his system and then got to go to another guy's place to her his custom built Ported subs with a beautiful finish. Got to meet some new peeps to indoctrinate into the AVS sickness/disease too!

It was unanimously agreed that we want to do another soon and have it be a proper shoot-out with some of these speakers we have. So I'm officially inviting you all (and any newcomers) to my place for said event. So a couple things we need to start planning for.

1. I'd like for Matt and Filtor1 to come over maybe an hour early to help setup and fine tune my system a little. It's not as complex as Chad's and it should be fresh in our minds on what we need to do to make it happen fast.

2. Obviously, what date/day/time works best for everyone? Or any days you know you won't be available? Most likely a Saturday or Sunday? I'm pretty open for availability right now for this month and next.

3. We're working on getting a speaker selector with volume control to properly level match the SPL output with the varying sensitivities of all the speakers. But, I know of at least 3-4 pairs of mains and surrounds, each, already in the lineup. Figure we'd do a round of Mains for LCR and then a round of Bookshelf/Compact Design types for Surrounds.

4. More is also welcome if you want to bring yours but we'll need something to set them on. Does anyone have a couple tables of the same size to set them on? If not, I can rig something up with some extra Home Depot buckets and wood from when I built my speakers. That actually may be best but I'm open to other ideas.

5. Speaking of other ideas... does anyone have any for the GTG? Videos's you'd like to see? Music you wanna hear? Setup ideas? Beer/Liquor to bring? Etc?
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #1335 of 1800 Old 02-05-2018, 09:55 AM

The rest of my Saturdays in Feb are booked. Sunday may be an option, otherwise March will be best for me. March 3rd maybe?

I have one standard 6ft folding table. If someone else has one that should be all we need.

I'm a music fan so maybe a few pre-picked song clips and Chad's demo disk, should be all we need media wise. I don't think we need to go overboard on the setup and scoring and all that. I would rather keep it easy and maybe just have people write their own notes on each speaker as we go and compare at the end. Don't need we need to complicate things with blind listening and all that unless you really want to hassle with all that setup.
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #1336 of 1800 Old 02-05-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
@chadsmith013 @Mattcc22 @filtor1 @XBR11 @todd1010 @grnwnv @rselby @HighEndWire @easycruise @jsrdlr @gtwizard @dengland @omgwtfbbqcrew @mikedrum3000 @jazzzione @Alan Dail @soundwave_rider

OK everyone... We had a pretty successful GTG to help Chad fine tune his system and then got to go to another guy's place to her his custom built Ported subs with a beautiful finish. Got to meet some new peeps to indoctrinate into the AVS sickness/disease too!

It was unanimously agreed that we want to do another soon and have it be a proper shoot-out with some of these speakers we have. So I'm officially inviting you all (and any newcomers) to my place for said event. So a couple things we need to start planning for.

1. I'd like for Matt and Filtor1 to come over maybe an hour early to help setup and fine tune my system a little. It's not as complex as Chad's and it should be fresh in our minds on what we need to do to make it happen fast.

2. Obviously, what date/day/time works best for everyone? Or any days you know you won't be available? Most likely a Saturday or Sunday? I'm pretty open for availability right now for this month and next.

3. We're working on getting a speaker selector with volume control to properly level match the SPL output with the varying sensitivities of all the speakers. But, I know of at least 3-4 pairs of mains and surrounds, each, already in the lineup. Figure we'd do a round of Mains for LCR and then a round of Bookshelf/Compact Design types for Surrounds.

4. More is also welcome if you want to bring yours but we'll need something to set them on. Does anyone have a couple tables of the same size to set them on? If not, I can rig something up with some extra Home Depot buckets and wood from when I built my speakers. That actually may be best but I'm open to other ideas.

5. Speaking of other ideas... does anyone have any for the GTG? Videos's you'd like to see? Music you wanna hear? Setup ideas? Beer/Liquor to bring? Etc?
i think you got everyone..even though I think half those guys are gone...LOL

1. i was thinking matt could grab me and we can carpool..I just want to do my part for the environment.

2. sat or sun for me.

4. i got some extra speaker stands i can bring.

5. Id vote for more cherry coke and i will bring my demo discs. we need the atmos demo disc Dave had.

post #1337 of 1800 Old 02-05-2018, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The rest of my Saturdays in Feb are booked. Sunday may be an option, otherwise March will be best for me. March 3rd maybe?

I have one standard 6ft folding table. If someone else has one that should be all we need.

I'm a music fan so maybe a few pre-picked song clips and Chad's demo disk, should be all we need media wise. I don't think we need to go overboard on the setup and scoring and all that. I would rather keep it easy and maybe just have people write their own notes on each speaker as we go and compare at the end. Don't need we need to complicate things with blind listening and all that unless you really want to hassle with all that setup.
i agree..im down with informal too...dont want to make it more complicated then it has to be

post #1338 of 1800 Old 02-05-2018, 11:20 AM

I don't have any kids, so yea... I'm available any weekend, Saturday or Sunday
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #1339 of 1800 Old 02-05-2018, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
@dengland

Only Daytona?....I lose my "it is too far to drive" excuse!
filtor1 and chadsmith013 like this.
post #1340 of 1800 Old 02-06-2018, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
yup...we will expect to see you and @HighEndWire

post #1341 of 1800 Old 02-06-2018, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
I'm actually just south of Daytona in PO... so it's even less of an excuse!
post #1342 of 1800 Old 02-06-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I'm available any weekend, Saturday or Sunday
Don't let the Wifey see you say that...
post #1343 of 1800 Old 02-06-2018, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
yup...we will expect to see you and @HighEndWire
Except for this Saturday - I'm around most of the month. Driven a lot further than that for an audio get together more than once.
chadsmith013 likes this.

Main System (Integrated AV)- Lumin U1, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, Modwright KWA150SE Amp, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel Storm III subs
Back-up 1 - HAL MS-2 Music Server, Odyssey Candela Preamp, Bryston 3BST Amp, Meitner MA-1 DAC, 2 Richard Gray cond, Ohm Microwalsh Talls, Rel Strata III sub
Back-up 2 - (Integrated AV) HAL MS-3 Music Server, Sherbourn Pre-1, Emotiva XPA 200 Amp, Teac UD-501 DAC, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, Rel Q150 sub
post #1344 of 1800 Old 02-06-2018, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
i agree..im down with informal too...dont want to make it more complicated then it has to be
I think it's time we step up our game. We've done a bunch of "informal" GTG's now. We really need to swim in the deep end... or at least get out of the shallow end of the pool.

Now I agree, we don't need to make it complicated. But I also don't think it's as hard as we make it out to be. We don't need to go full blast trying to mimic JBL's strict standards on blind testing. But there's a few things we can do to at least make it fair.

Like you said, pick a few demo songs and video clips before hand. No need for scoring. Just take some personal notes and we can compare afterwards... no discussions during the shoot-out to introduce bias.

Easycruise has some AT black cloth we might be able use to shield the speakers from sight. I have a bunch of Home Depot buckets and wood boards. That would put them all on equal height of about 30" off the ground and close to seated ear level. Unless we can get 2 tables or equal height, I'd say lets just do that.

If soundwave_rider is willing to pick up the speaker selector with volume control, that dramatically simplifies the SPL level matching and offers quick switching between speakers. We just would need one volunteer to operate the volume control and know which speaker is being played. I would suggest naming them Speaker A, B, C, etc.

Also, I think it's far that said volunteer should be someone who doesn't have a speaker in the shoot-out. Ie, if we're comparing surrounds, and Matt and I have our Volt's and Concentric's on deck (or anyone else who has some to add to the comparison), we should be part of the blind test if we so chose.

Those are just some ideas on how to run it. I welcome others, but like I said before, trying to keep it as simple and easy as possible while still getting some kind of unbiased test. environment.
post #1345 of 1800 Old 02-06-2018, 08:36 AM

I can get on board with that but will need to take care of a lot of the setup in advance so we aren't taking forever on the day of trying to get set up. Need to get the flow down also, like how many clips will be played, how long per speaker, how often do we switch them... that kind of thing. I volunteer Chad to do most of the speaker switching because he admits himself he doesn't have that great of an ear for difference in quality. Want him to have the chance to hear the different speakers too but he could do that after the formal part.

As far as the material, even just some light weight bed sheets would work fine, just need some kind of stand or something to drape them off of.

Speakers Available for Testing:
HTM-12
HTM-10
Fusion-10
Chris's SEOS-12 with DNA360, AE TD10M Woofer (not sure I got those details right?)
Volt-10LX
Volt-6LX
Concentric-8

Any that I missed?
post #1346 of 1800 Old 02-06-2018, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

i guess the true benefit to any blind shoot outs are for the ones who are in the market and trying to decide what they want to buy....for me, matt, william and filtor we already have our speakers and i wouldnt imagine buying anything else anytime soon...so the last thing I would want is any sort of buyers remorse...so with that said i can flip the selector switch...not an issue..sure id still like to hear them, but dont mind switch flipping either.

post #1347 of 1800 Old 02-06-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
If soundwave_rider is willing to pick up the speaker selector with volume control, that dramatically simplifies the SPL level matching and offers quick switching between speakers. We just would need one volunteer to operate the volume control and know which speaker is being played. I would suggest naming them Speaker A, B, C, etc.
If there is a group consensus on the best one to buy for the testing I will get it. What are you thinking about using for power? Some of us don't have much amplification past a normal AVR, just wondering what the plan is for that
filtor1 likes this.
post #1348 of 1800 Old 02-06-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
If there is a group consensus on the best one to buy for the testing I will get it. What are you thinking about using for power? Some of us don't have much amplification past a normal AVR, just wondering what the plan is for that
For power, we would probably just use William's setup as is. I believe he has Crown XLS amps for his fronts. Won't make a difference in the sound of the speakers vs your receiver at most SPL levels due to the speakers sensitivity.
filtor1 likes this.
post #1349 of 1800 Old 02-06-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
For a reasonable price with the features we need, these look like good options. Especially if you look at the slightly used price.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Speaker...+control&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Theater-Solut...70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=all
filtor1 likes this.
post #1350 of 1800 Old 02-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Count me in! I have the acoustically transparent fabric, and the SHO-10 bookshelf speakers we can use in a shoot-out. And the Dolby Atmos demo disc. My only bad dates are the first weekend in March.

Last edited by easycruise; 02-06-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page