Any Jacksonville Florida HT people? - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 830Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1561 of 1780 Old 01-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
dengland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rockledge, FL
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
cool..do you need surrounds too? I have a pair of Volt 6's that i no longer use. So i have 3 Fusion 10's and 2 Volt 6's. Also not sure if you know, the price currently showing on the site does not include the woofer. You have to buy that separate. Since these were on closeout, he didnt order any more woofers for them.
Found your build thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...ld-thread.html
chadsmith013 likes this.
dengland is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1562 of 1780 Old 01-05-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chadsmith013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jax, Florida
Posts: 3,850
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 2318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian#77 View Post
I really havent been able to see all the threads out there(being new there is a ton). i dont see a random bull**** type thread. is there one that yall talk and bs in not necessarily about audio visual stuff?
we use an app called group me..we talk most offline...shoot me ur cell and i can add u..but we talk alot of crap in there

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP Channel A
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP Channel B
chadsmith013 is offline  
post #1563 of 1780 Old 01-05-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Undiscovered Country
Posts: 1,908
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
Thanks very much. The house is quite the upgrade for me. It won't look as nice with MY stuff in it versus the current occupant's stuff. They could leave anything behind and I would be happy.

I will certainly take all of the help and ideas I can get. Thanks for pointing out @Chris Young . I just REdiscovered his thread. I posted a year ago and promptly forgot. Going to have to reread it again now that everything is not just "what if" and "academic" now that I actually have a space.

Well let us know your intentions, budget, goals, ideas, etc. We can add to it.


Off the top of my head:


What kinda room do you want?



A media room like Charles and Chad have? For (some) lights on viewing and parties and such?



More dedicated "bat cave" like Chris Young has? Which is light controlled and more theater like?


If you want a blacked out room, read up on this thread. These guys have gone nuts finding the best materials and practices to get the best image performance possible.


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...r-theater.html




You already mentioned rotating the room 90deg. I think thats a great idea. Move the screen to the side where the stairs are. You may even have room to build a false wall and have an acoustically transparent screen with speakers hidden behind it.



It would also allow smoth flow from the entry to the bedroom while still being able to have a couple rows of seating and a riser for the back row. Maybe even space for an equipment rack. Or that could be hidden in the next room. Chris Young did that with his theater room.
biliam1982 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1564 of 1780 Old 01-05-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Undiscovered Country
Posts: 1,908
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian#77 View Post
fellow jax person here, new to the forum just popping in to say HI

Ian, welcome to the group!


Quote:
my current set up is


denon x6500h
svs ultra center and 2 ultra book shlefs
yamaha ns 333 for some sides
some klipsch for rears
2 ultra pb-3000
lg 65 oled (dont rember model number)
I have the Yamaha NS333's too. Four of them actually for all the surrounds. Along with the NS777 towers and NS444 center.



Not too bad of a system. Paired them with a Yamaha sub. That blew and I got a Klipsch RW-12d. But that was my old system I have for a spare now.


I brought them to one of our previous GTG's and they did ok. But once you step up to some quality speakers, it's like the veil has been lifted. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the DIY options out there. I have a feeling even the SVS Ultras won't be able to keep up.
ian#77 likes this.
biliam1982 is offline  
post #1565 of 1780 Old 01-05-2019, 04:50 PM
Member
 
ian#77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: JAX FL
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
Ian, welcome to the group!





I have the Yamaha NS333's too. Four of them actually for all the surrounds. Along with the NS777 towers and NS444 center.







Not too bad of a system. Paired them with a Yamaha sub. That blew and I got a Klipsch RW-12d. But that was my old system I have for a spare now.





I brought them to one of our previous GTG's and they did ok. But once you step up to some quality speakers, it's like the veil has been lifted. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the DIY options out there. I have a feeling even the SVS Ultras won't be able to keep up.


Yeah I actually had the same speaker setup as you the 444 777 333. I still have the center and bookshelves . I have an rxv-650 pushing them. That receiver is still up and running.


You could be right, they may not be able to. But hey after all the years of gunshots, being in a band, system in my car my ears aren’t what they used to be. I for sure would like to see or should i say hear!! But from what all ive been told the floor stands is where the magic is at.

How long ago did you get your NS’s? I think i have had mine since 01 give or take a year or two.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DENON X6500H,
FRONTS SVS ULTRA CENTER,SVS ULTRA BOOKSHELF'S
SUBS SVS PB-3000'S x2 UM18 x2
SURROUNDS YAMAHA NS-333 SIDE KLIPSCH QUINTET REAR
RAPTOR 700 FOR WHEN YOU NEED TO STOP WATCHING MOVIES
ian#77 is offline  
post #1566 of 1780 Old 01-05-2019, 04:52 PM
Member
 
ian#77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: JAX FL
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
we use an app called group me..we talk most offline...shoot me ur cell and i can add u..but we talk alot of crap in there


Ok ill have to get that. Crap talk is where some of the fun is


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DENON X6500H,
FRONTS SVS ULTRA CENTER,SVS ULTRA BOOKSHELF'S
SUBS SVS PB-3000'S x2 UM18 x2
SURROUNDS YAMAHA NS-333 SIDE KLIPSCH QUINTET REAR
RAPTOR 700 FOR WHEN YOU NEED TO STOP WATCHING MOVIES
ian#77 is offline  
post #1567 of 1780 Old 01-06-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Undiscovered Country
Posts: 1,908
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian#77 View Post
Yeah I actually had the same speaker setup as you the 444 777 333. I still have the center and bookshelves . I have an rxv-650 pushing them. That receiver is still up and running.


You could be right, they may not be able to. But hey after all the years of gunshots, being in a band, system in my car my ears aren’t what they used to be. I for sure would like to see or should i say hear!! But from what all ive been told the floor stands is where the magic is at.

How long ago did you get your NS’s? I think i have had mine since 01 give or take a year or two.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yea, I know they've been out a while now and I think are still being produced. I got them sometime around 2010. Was stationed overseas on Guam and that's about all the Base Exchange had for sale. So I also got a Yamaha RX2000 to push them. Was really good actually for the time period. But once I upgraded in 2017, there was no going back.


My eyes were opened to what is really takes to do it right. I found, that at least for specs, it was almost impossible to hit reference levels (85dB avg w/ 105dB peaks) without audible distortion on just about any receiver and/or (commercial big box store) speakers if you sit 8+ ft back. Most of them are dome and have lower power handling and sensitivity. Plus they just can't produce the same dynamics and sound stage.



So I came upon some threads on AVS and researched. Found Pro Audio type speakers were just as good and can be had for the same if not much cheaper costs. The only issue is they don't always look as purdy in the living room. But I don't care as much about aesthetics, but performance.
ian#77 likes this.
biliam1982 is offline  
post #1568 of 1780 Old 01-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
 
dengland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rockledge, FL
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Count me in for the GTG on the 19th if Tarponator will have me. I just started to read his build thread. I am intrigued. Looking forward to meeting the folks that come too. I promise to wear double deodorant. :>)
dengland is offline  
post #1569 of 1780 Old 01-06-2019, 04:58 PM
Senior Member
 
dengland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rockledge, FL
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
Well let us know your intentions, budget, goals, ideas, etc. We can add to it.


Off the top of my head:
What kinda room do you want?
A media room like Charles and Chad have? For (some) lights on viewing and parties and such?
More dedicated "bat cave" like Chris Young has? Which is light controlled and more theater like?

If you want a blacked out room, read up on this thread. These guys have gone nuts finding the best materials and practices to get the best image performance possible.


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...r-theater.html

You already mentioned rotating the room 90deg. I think thats a great idea. Move the screen to the side where the stairs are. You may even have room to build a false wall and have an acoustically transparent screen with speakers hidden behind it.

It would also allow smoth flow from the entry to the bedroom while still being able to have a couple rows of seating and a riser for the back row. Maybe even space for an equipment rack. Or that could be hidden in the next room. Chris Young did that with his theater room.
Black Cave is what I will be aiming for. I wasn't thinking the side with the stairs for the screen, but that may make the most sense. I need to get going with Sketchup. I was not thinking AT screen as I think it is somewhat of a compromise for image and some what of a compromise for audio. perhaps I am over thinking it. I would want to get base traps in the corners of the screen wall. Not sure how that will work on the side where the door is. Perhaps that is discussed in a thread already. I was thinking equipment rack in the next room, but I do have that 4 feet of space next to what becomes the poker room. I would consider building another wall there and have an enclosed EQ room, but that would make the theater ~16x16. A square room is a no-no.

Light does come under the double doors, so I will need to deal with that.

I need to get shades with a side track in those 3 windows. Finding that side track has been elusive when I have tried before.

I think I need to becomes besties with Chris Young.

Thanks so much for the link. I have some reading to do.
chadsmith013 likes this.
dengland is offline  
post #1570 of 1780 Old 01-07-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chadsmith013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jax, Florida
Posts: 3,850
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 2318
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
Count me in for the GTG on the 19th if Tarponator will have me. I just started to read his build thread. I am intrigued. Looking forward to meeting the folks that come too. I promise to wear double deodorant. :>)
should be a real good time..

i think we are all just pitching in for pizza...

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP Channel A
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP Channel B
chadsmith013 is offline  
post #1571 of 1780 Old 01-09-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Undiscovered Country
Posts: 1,908
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
Black Cave is what I will be aiming for. I wasn't thinking the side with the stairs for the screen, but that may make the most sense. I need to get going with Sketchup. I was not thinking AT screen as I think it is somewhat of a compromise for image and some what of a compromise for audio. perhaps I am over thinking it. I would want to get base traps in the corners of the screen wall. Not sure how that will work on the side where the door is. Perhaps that is discussed in a thread already. I was thinking equipment rack in the next room, but I do have that 4 feet of space next to what becomes the poker room. I would consider building another wall there and have an enclosed EQ room, but that would make the theater ~16x16. A square room is a no-no.

Light does come under the double doors, so I will need to deal with that.

I need to get shades with a side track in those 3 windows. Finding that side track has been elusive when I have tried before.

I think I need to becomes besties with Chris Young.

Thanks so much for the link. I have some reading to do.

Actually, AT screens are not that much of a compromise. Acoustically, they're the best option as they lock in the sound on screen to where they're coming from. Voices are heard better and other noises like explosions and such actually sound like they're coming from the right area. This is especially important the larger the screen is. And visually, they are not as big a deal in real-world watching with moving images on screen. Still picsures might be another issue. But they have gotten very good at the materials.



I know of a few options for you to consider depending on other things like budget for everything or individual costs you want to spend on certain gear. Also depends on your other gear like what speakers you want to use but mainly their size and the space you would have behind the screen factors into what material. As well as what projector and its brightness/contrast levels and how hard you want to tackle HDR.


And as for a false wall, that's very easy. No need for drywall and all that. Just some wood for framing and bracing and use AT fabric. Depending on how deep it is, you could make it a baffle wall or a space to walk behind to connect wires, adjust/replace speakers, etc. I've even seen people build into them 4-way masking systems or hydraulic lifts to open the screen up to access behind it. Lots of options there.


This may work for a cheap and easy fix to the light leakage under the door.


https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Double-W.../dp/B0040JH2AI




The possibilities are endless for what you can do to a dedicated room. Just depends on budget, time and ambition for how much you wanna do.


BTW, what equipment do you have or want to get?
biliam1982 is offline  
post #1572 of 1780 Old 01-10-2019, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
 
dengland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rockledge, FL
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarponater View Post
This is the final update for my theater/gaming room GTG, Saturday January 19.

I just found your renders in @Silva741 thread. I feel like I have already been there!
dengland is offline  
post #1573 of 1780 Old 01-10-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chadsmith013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jax, Florida
Posts: 3,850
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 2318
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
I just found your renders in @Silva741 thread. I feel like I have already been there!
it looks just like the models.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP Channel A
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP Channel B
chadsmith013 is offline  
post #1574 of 1780 Old 01-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
tarponater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: DUUUUUUUUUVAL
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
I just found your renders in @Silva741 thread. I feel like I have already been there!
Yeah, Im so glad I found that thread. He was fast and the price was much lower than I was expecting. There's a guy coming over Sunday to paint the letters on the Juggersubs. Ill post final pics from the same angle as the renders. That should be pretty cool. I can even open the wall and take that side pic.
chadsmith013 likes this.

Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ730 (7.2.4) Onkyo M-5010 (Atmos)
Front Wall: DIYSG Fusion10 L&R, Hybrid DIYSG Fusion10 center
Atmos/Surround: 4 Polk TSX 150C(DIY) 4 Yamaha NS-333
Subwoofers: Three HS-24MKIII 11.5 ft^3 sealed NU12000, XLS2502, MINIDSP
tarponater is offline  
post #1575 of 1780 Old 01-14-2019, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
tarponater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: DUUUUUUUUUVAL
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Just another reminder, Jacksonville home theater meet, at my place,Saturday January 19 from 1PM-5PMish, North Jacksonville just off Alta Dr.Since Chad lives down the road, a couple guys will stop there at noon to check out his loft theater. As of today the head count is 12, but if your in the area, and you enjoy home theater or HiFi stereo, feel free to attend. Just PM me for the address. The game plan is to have two events for the day running simultaneously. A home theater/gaming room demo with a long list of the more popular subwoofer heavy movie clips. The living room will be setup with an AVR and a couple Crown XLS series amps for a 2.1 head to head speaker shootout. For now, the subwoofer will be a pair of VBSS PA380s. Participating in the shootout will be...Klipsch KLF30, DIYSG HTM6, DIYSG Concentric8, Boston Acoustics CR-85, SVS Ultra Bookshelf, JBL Studio L890, M&K S100, DIYSG Fusion10 (maybe). @chadsmith013 @Mattcc22 @biliam1982 @filtor1 @XBR11 @todd1010 @grnwnv @rselby @HighEndWire @easycruise @jsrdlr @gtwizard @dengland @omgwtfbbqcrew @mikedrum3000 @jazzzione @Alan Dail @soundwave_rider @rcapprotti @Theatrebuilder
@ufsuperfly @tarponater @Chris Young @stevetalacki
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190113_180822944.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	734.9 KB
ID:	2510860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181129_120648734.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	561.6 KB
ID:	2510862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190114-123214.png
Views:	12
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	2510866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190114-123205.png
Views:	12
Size:	891.8 KB
ID:	2510868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190114-122220.png
Views:	11
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	2510870  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190114-115031.png
Views:	13
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2510872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190114-105549.png
Views:	11
Size:	695.4 KB
ID:	2510874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190114-105419 - Copy (2).png
Views:	11
Size:	990.2 KB
ID:	2510876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190114_215219831.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2510880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180827_180949734.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	2510882  

filtor1 likes this.

Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ730 (7.2.4) Onkyo M-5010 (Atmos)
Front Wall: DIYSG Fusion10 L&R, Hybrid DIYSG Fusion10 center
Atmos/Surround: 4 Polk TSX 150C(DIY) 4 Yamaha NS-333
Subwoofers: Three HS-24MKIII 11.5 ft^3 sealed NU12000, XLS2502, MINIDSP
tarponater is offline  
post #1576 of 1780 Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 PM
Member
 
jazzzione's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarponater View Post
Just another reminder, Jacksonville home theater meet, at my place,Saturday January 19 from 1PM-5PMish, North Jacksonville just off Alta Dr.Since Chad lives down the road, a couple guys will stop there at noon to check out his loft theater. As of today the head count is 12, but if your in the area, and you enjoy home theater or HiFi stereo, feel free to attend. Just PM me for the address. The game plan is to have two events for the day running simultaneously. A home theater/gaming room demo with a long list of the more popular subwoofer heavy movie clips. The living room will be setup with an AVR and a couple Crown XLS series amps for a 2.1 head to head speaker shootout. For now, the subwoofer will be a pair of VBSS PA380s. Participating in the shootout will be...Klipsch KLF30, DIYSG HTM6, DIYSG Concentric8, Boston Acoustics CR-85, SVS Ultra Bookshelf, JBL Studio L890, M&K S100, DIYSG Fusion10 (maybe). @chadsmith013 @Mattcc22 @biliam1982 @filtor1 @XBR11 @todd1010 @grnwnv @rselby @HighEndWire @easycruise @jsrdlr @gtwizard @dengland @omgwtfbbqcrew @mikedrum3000 @jazzzione @Alan Dail @soundwave_rider @rcapprotti @Theatrebuilder
@ufsuperfly @tarponater @Chris Young @stevetalacki
I would like to attend. Of course the address VIA PM for the GTG would be appreciated.


Since being diagnosed with cancer this will be a one time event for a bit.

My HT build has slowed, along with my interaction on this site.

Anyway, looking forward to it. Should be fun.

Cheers,
Dale
filtor1 likes this.

Family Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Marantz AV8805; Revel Salon2 & Voice2; Parasound JC1 & A51; PS4; ATV4; Crown CDi 1000; Sonos S15; CyberPower 1500 PFCLCD.
jazzzione is offline  
post #1577 of 1780 Old 01-15-2019, 04:49 AM
Senior Member
 
dengland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rockledge, FL
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzzione View Post
Since being diagnosed with cancer this will be a one time event for a bit. My HT build has slowed, along with my interaction on this site.
Damn.... That is a tough one Dale. Looking forward to encouraging you in person in your fight. See you Saturday.
filtor1 and chadsmith013 like this.
dengland is offline  
post #1578 of 1780 Old 01-15-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chadsmith013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jax, Florida
Posts: 3,850
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 2318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzzione View Post
I would like to attend. Of course the address VIA PM for the GTG would be appreciated.


Since being diagnosed with cancer this will be a one time event for a bit.

My HT build has slowed, along with my interaction on this site.

Anyway, looking forward to it. Should be fun.

Cheers,
Dale
ah man Dale..so sorry to hear that..keep fighting and we look forward to meeting you.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP Channel A
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP Channel B
chadsmith013 is offline  
post #1579 of 1780 Old 01-15-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chadsmith013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jax, Florida
Posts: 3,850
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 2318
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarponater View Post
Just another reminder, Jacksonville home theater meet, at my place,Saturday January 19 from 1PM-5PMish, North Jacksonville just off Alta Dr.Since Chad lives down the road, a couple guys will stop there at noon to check out his loft theater. As of today the head count is 12, but if your in the area, and you enjoy home theater or HiFi stereo, feel free to attend. Just PM me for the address. The game plan is to have two events for the day running simultaneously. A home theater/gaming room demo with a long list of the more popular subwoofer heavy movie clips. The living room will be setup with an AVR and a couple Crown XLS series amps for a 2.1 head to head speaker shootout. For now, the subwoofer will be a pair of VBSS PA380s. Participating in the shootout will be...Klipsch KLF30, DIYSG HTM6, DIYSG Concentric8, Boston Acoustics CR-85, SVS Ultra Bookshelf, JBL Studio L890, M&K S100, DIYSG Fusion10 (maybe). @chadsmith013 @Mattcc22 @biliam1982 @filtor1 @XBR11 @todd1010 @grnwnv @rselby @HighEndWire @easycruise @jsrdlr @gtwizard @dengland @omgwtfbbqcrew @mikedrum3000 @jazzzione @Alan Dail @soundwave_rider @rcapprotti @Theatrebuilder
@ufsuperfly @tarponater @Chris Young @stevetalacki
nice write up Charles..

my room is fairly small, so just going to have a handful of a group for mine...at Charles we will have multiple rooms going..

we are all chipping in about 10 bucks or so for pizza and drinks....and feel free to bring any desserts or dip or anything else u want to bring...

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP Channel A
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP Channel B
chadsmith013 is offline  
post #1580 of 1780 Old 01-15-2019, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
 
dengland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rockledge, FL
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
Actually, AT screens are not that much of a compromise. Acoustically, they're the best option as they lock in the sound on screen to where they're coming from. Voices are heard better and other noises like explosions and such actually sound like they're coming from the right area. This is especially important the larger the screen is. And visually, they are not as big a deal in real-world watching with moving images on screen. Still picsures might be another issue. But they have gotten very good at the materials.

I know of a few options for you to consider depending on other things like budget for everything or individual costs you want to spend on certain gear. Also depends on your other gear like what speakers you want to use but mainly their size and the space you would have behind the screen factors into what material. As well as what projector and its brightness/contrast levels and how hard you want to tackle HDR.

And as for a false wall, that's very easy. No need for drywall and all that. Just some wood for framing and bracing and use AT fabric. Depending on how deep it is, you could make it a baffle wall or a space to walk behind to connect wires, adjust/replace speakers, etc. I've even seen people build into them 4-way masking systems or hydraulic lifts to open the screen up to access behind it. Lots of options there.

This may work for a cheap and easy fix to the light leakage under the door.

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Double-W.../dp/B0040JH2AI

The possibilities are endless for what you can do to a dedicated room. Just depends on budget, time and ambition for how much you wanna do.


BTW, what equipment do you have or want to get?
Thanks biliam. Sorry for the delay in responding. I wanted to take a bit of time. I wanted to get the build thread started as well.

I really like the links to the light leakage fix. That is such a no brainer at least for a starting point.

You make some good points on the AT. I could see how this decision makes itself if the center channel is something that would not sit below the screen nicely. It looks like I am going to at least start with Fusion 10s for my LCRs. As fare as size, I think I will be under 158" based on the distance I can get from the screen with a JVC. I think I have locked into the JVC line at this point. Right now I am not planning a true 4K projector, but one with e-shift. I am thinking a used 2018. I am sort of waiting for a good price on an RS540/X790. I am open to the RS640/X990. I am not quite sure what that jump gets me. I am interested in doing a screen masking.

you asked about my starting equipment. Here is the list:

Denon 4806 AVR
Oppo BDP-103
JVC RS1X Projector
Lumagen Radiance XD
Crestron AV2 Controller
Crestron RMC3 Controller
Cambridge Audio Bass Cube 15

Before I broke everything down in April, I was having a little bit of an issue with the RS1X. It seemed to be turning off on me that a power cycle the next morning was solving. I am guessing heat related. I am exercising it at the moment in my apartment to see if it was environmental.

I am 95% certain I will be ending up with Chad's Fusion 10s for LCR. I will hear them for the 1st time on the 19th.

I really need to decide if I want to stay AVR or go Pre/Pro and separate amps.

I have not really given myself a budget. I will admit it is hard for me not to get a good value for my dollar. We will have to see how that affects things.


Thanks for chiming in. I am looking forward to meeting you (and the gang) at the GTG on Saturday.
Mattcc22 likes this.
dengland is offline  
post #1581 of 1780 Old 01-16-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chadsmith013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jax, Florida
Posts: 3,850
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 2318
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
Thanks biliam. Sorry for the delay in responding. I wanted to take a bit of time. I wanted to get the build thread started as well.

I really like the links to the light leakage fix. That is such a no brainer at least for a starting point.

You make some good points on the AT. I could see how this decision makes itself if the center channel is something that would not sit below the screen nicely. It looks like I am going to at least start with Fusion 10s for my LCRs. As fare as size, I think I will be under 158" based on the distance I can get from the screen with a JVC. I think I have locked into the JVC line at this point. Right now I am not planning a true 4K projector, but one with e-shift. I am thinking a used 2018. I am sort of waiting for a good price on an RS540/X790. I am open to the RS640/X990. I am not quite sure what that jump gets me. I am interested in doing a screen masking.

you asked about my starting equipment. Here is the list:

Denon 4806 AVR
Oppo BDP-103
JVC RS1X Projector
Lumagen Radiance XD
Crestron AV2 Controller
Crestron RMC3 Controller
Cambridge Audio Bass Cube 15

Before I broke everything down in April, I was having a little bit of an issue with the RS1X. It seemed to be turning off on me that a power cycle the next morning was solving. I am guessing heat related. I am exercising it at the moment in my apartment to see if it was environmental.

I am 95% certain I will be ending up with Chad's Fusion 10s for LCR. I will hear them for the 1st time on the 19th.

I really need to decide if I want to stay AVR or go Pre/Pro and separate amps.

I have not really given myself a budget. I will admit it is hard for me not to get a good value for my dollar. We will have to see how that affects things.


Thanks for chiming in. I am looking forward to meeting you (and the gang) at the GTG on Saturday.
in all seriousness..these speakers are so efficient you really dont need external amps...Ive researched this quite a bit..ive talked to several members who tried their fusions 10's as well as other DIYSG offerings with external amps and could not tell a difference at normal listening levels..in fact some have even sold their amps afterwards...my pioneer plays them loud and clean up and beyond what would be comfortable.
Mattcc22 likes this.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP Channel A
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP Channel B
chadsmith013 is offline  
post #1582 of 1780 Old 01-16-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Undiscovered Country
Posts: 1,908
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
Thanks biliam. Sorry for the delay in responding. I wanted to take a bit of time. I wanted to get the build thread started as well.

I really like the links to the light leakage fix. That is such a no brainer at least for a starting point.

Thanks for chiming in. I am looking forward to meeting you (and the gang) at the GTG on Saturday.

No worries! We can discuss further and in length with everyone else on Saturday and get you pointed in the right direction.


Look forward to meeting you and the other new guys this weekend!


P.S. don't forget to post a link to your build thread so Chad can drool over it!
biliam1982 is offline  
post #1583 of 1780 Old 01-16-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Undiscovered Country
Posts: 1,908
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzzione View Post
I would like to attend. Of course the address VIA PM for the GTG would be appreciated.


Since being diagnosed with cancer this will be a one time event for a bit.

My HT build has slowed, along with my interaction on this site.

Anyway, looking forward to it. Should be fun.

Cheers,
Dale



Dale, sorry to hear that. It got my dad a few years back so I know how hard it can be and a tough fight. But you can do it!


See you this weekend!
dengland likes this.
biliam1982 is offline  
post #1584 of 1780 Old 01-16-2019, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
dengland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rockledge, FL
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
P.S. don't forget to post a link to your build thread so Chad can drool over it!
It is the second link in my signature.

I am hoping he will miss those Fusion 10's like crazy while he waits on the 1299s... That means I will have made a good purchase!
dengland is offline  
post #1585 of 1780 Old 01-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
dengland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rockledge, FL
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
Before I broke everything down in April, I was having a little bit of an issue with the RS1X. It seemed to be turning off on me that a power cycle the next morning was solving. I am guessing heat related. I am exercising it at the moment in my apartment to see if it was environmental.
It ran like 3.5 hours last night without any issue. Of course it is cool outside and the room was 70 degrees.

Last edited by dengland; 01-16-2019 at 05:34 PM.
dengland is offline  
post #1586 of 1780 Old 01-16-2019, 04:24 PM
Member
 
ian#77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: JAX FL
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzzione View Post
I would like to attend. Of course the address VIA PM for the GTG would be appreciated.





Since being diagnosed with cancer this will be a one time event for a bit.



My HT build has slowed, along with my interaction on this site.



Anyway, looking forward to it. Should be fun.



Cheers,

Dale


I know im new and dont know you from a hill of beans. But i wish you the best on beating this. My thoughts and prayers are to you Dale. Stay strong. Maybe ill see you at the GTG.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DENON X6500H,
FRONTS SVS ULTRA CENTER,SVS ULTRA BOOKSHELF'S
SUBS SVS PB-3000'S x2 UM18 x2
SURROUNDS YAMAHA NS-333 SIDE KLIPSCH QUINTET REAR
RAPTOR 700 FOR WHEN YOU NEED TO STOP WATCHING MOVIES
ian#77 is offline  
post #1587 of 1780 Old 01-16-2019, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Undiscovered Country
Posts: 1,908
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
It is the second link in my signature.

I am hoping he will miss those Fusion 10's like crazy while he waits on the 1299s... That means I will have made a good purchase!

Oh, ok. Missed that...


...but I see Chad didn't. He's already stalking your thread.
chadsmith013 and tarponater like this.
biliam1982 is offline  
post #1588 of 1780 Old 01-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
easycruise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Hi guys,

Sorry, but I can't make it. I caught a cold, not feeling well, and I don't want to get you guys sick. See you at the next GTG for sure!

Dave McKay
Mattcc22 likes this.
easycruise is offline  
post #1589 of 1780 Old 01-18-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chadsmith013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jax, Florida
Posts: 3,850
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 2318
Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post
Hi guys,

Sorry, but I can't make it. I caught a cold, not feeling well, and I don't want to get you guys sick. See you at the next GTG for sure!

Dave McKay
hope you feel better Dave...
dengland likes this.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP Channel A
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP Channel B
chadsmith013 is offline  
post #1590 of 1780 Old 01-19-2019, 06:13 PM
Senior Member
 
dengland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rockledge, FL
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarponater View Post
Just another reminder, Jacksonville home theater meet, at my place,Saturday January 19 from 1PM-5PMish, North Jacksonville just off Alta Dr.Since Chad lives down the road, a couple guys will stop there at noon to check out his loft theater. As of today the head count is 12, but if your in the area, and you enjoy home theater or HiFi stereo, feel free to attend. Just PM me for the address. The game plan is to have two events for the day running simultaneously. A home theater/gaming room demo with a long list of the more popular subwoofer heavy movie clips. The living room will be setup with an AVR and a couple Crown XLS series amps for a 2.1 head to head speaker shootout. For now, the subwoofer will be a pair of VBSS PA380s. Participating in the shootout will be...Klipsch KLF30, DIYSG HTM6, DIYSG Concentric8, Boston Acoustics CR-85, SVS Ultra Bookshelf, JBL Studio L890, M&K S100, DIYSG Fusion10 (maybe). @chadsmith013 @Mattcc22 @biliam1982 @filtor1 @XBR11 @todd1010 @grnwnv @rselby @HighEndWire @easycruise @jsrdlr @gtwizard @dengland @omgwtfbbqcrew @mikedrum3000 @jazzzione @Alan Dail @soundwave_rider @rcapprotti @Theatrebuilder
@ufsuperfly @tarponater @Chris Young @stevetalacki
I had a great time. Big thanks to @tarponater for hosting the main event. Big thanks also to @chadsmith013 for part 1 and the Fusion 10's. I have already connected them in the apartment for the next 16 days until I move into the house.



That center doesn't stick too far into the room, right?

I enjoyed meeting and talking all of you. If you could be so kind as to wear the exact same clothes to the next one, that way I will be able to remember your names. I am horrible with faces. Chad any Dolphin attire will do. I thought about making a bad joke and saying I liked everyone I met except for Chris.... :>)
Mattcc22, tarponater and ian#77 like this.
dengland is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off