Sony SXRD Recall/Bravia Upgrade offer... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-18-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My aunt and uncle use to work for at a Sony plant here in town.

They bought a 55" XBR1 SXRD around 2005. I liked it so much I bought a 55" A2000 in October of 2006. We both bought our displays at the Sony Store in the plant at employee discounted prices.

They now have the green haze/blob problem and blue tint everywhere from a bad optic block. (We both bought the 5 year extended warranty from them)

They called Sony yesterday about a repair and Sony said there was a recall on those sets. They offered them to either 1. fix it for free or 2. give them a 52" Bravia W-series for $850. They only gave them 2 weeks to decide.

Has anyone else heard of such a thing?

Do all SXRD models have the green haze/blob problem?

My warranty wont be up until October 2011 so I'm good for a few more years. Their set is on all the time, compared to ours, which is only on 25-40 hours a week. (I'm now worried that our set will outlast theirs and fail after the warranty expires)

XBOX Live: Hanxious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-18-2008, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPraze View Post

My aunt and uncle use to work for at a Sony plant here in town.

They bought a 55" XBR1 SXRD around 2005. I liked it so much I bought a 55" A2000 in October of 2006. We both bought our displays at the Sony Store in the plant at employee discounted prices.

They now have the green haze/blob problem and blue tint everywhere from a bad optic block. (We both bought the 5 year extended warranty from them)

They called Sony yesterday about a repair and Sony said there was a recall on those sets. They offered them to either 1. fix it for free or 2. give them a 52" Bravia W-series for $850. They only gave them 2 weeks to decide.

Has anyone else heard of such a thing?

Do all SXRD models have the green haze/blob problem?

My warranty wont be up until October 2011 so I'm good for a few more years. Their set is on all the time, compared to ours, which is only on 25-40 hours a week. (I'm now worried that our set will outlast theirs and fail after the warranty expires)

Yes, this forum is covered with stories of OB failures.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-19-2008, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm aware of the failures and extended warranty...

I was wondering if anyone else has been given the option to upgrade vs. getting a repair.

I would like to upgrade to the W-series and try to replace the OB on the SXRD myself. (Has anyone done such a thing?)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-19-2008, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
they gave me a 60xbr2 in exchange for my 60 xbr1 after an OB failure. And now i am having a repairman visit tomorrow.. on what I assume is OB failure again on the 60 xbr2
post #5 of 17 Old 11-19-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybfrmtx View Post

they gave me a 60xbr2 in exchange for my 60 xbr1 after an OB failure. And now i am having a repairman visit tomorrow.. on what I assume is OB failure again on the 60 xbr2

Did they let you keep the other set, or did they take it. They told my aunt, that they could keep it...

I'm wondering if/when it goes bad, if I would be able to replace the OB myself and sell the A2000 for the $850 it would cost to upgrade to the Bravia "W"...

post #6 of 17 Old 11-20-2008, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPraze View Post

Did they let you keep the other set, or did they take it. They told my aunt, that they could keep it...

I'm wondering if/when it goes bad, if I would be able to replace the OB myself and sell the A2000 for the $850 it would cost to upgrade to the Bravia "W"...

With all the issues of the SXRDs I wouldn't give this a second thought. Many SXRDs are just a time bomb waiting to go off. You don't want to drop cash into fixing this when you don't know what the results are and especially considering these issues are recurring problems.

$850 is too much IMO. Reliable brand new 50" Panasonic or Samsung 720p plasmas are available for just a little more. And IMO, the plasma will give a much better picture. Not to mention you could probably get a brand new 60" DLP for about the same price you are asking. And a new TV comes with a warranty too which the SXRD would not. Having an SXRD w/o a warranty is not a good thing!

I wouldn't waste your time with it.

And BTW, the TV has to be either a 50XBR1 or a 60XBR1 as those were the only sizes the XBR1s came in.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Not sure if the replacement program covers the SXRD line, as I thought they were dealing with it via the extended warranty settlement. Anyone know?
post #8 of 17 Old 11-20-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
You guys are a little late to the party. Yes this repair/exchange offer has been going on for some time. Here is a link to when it all started in the KDF XS thread. You might want to read it. https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post14863114 It applies to most 2004 Sony TV models

As for "not a good deal". You tell me where your going to get a 52" LCD with 120hz technology that has deeper blacks than the XBR6 for under a grand. Yes I'm sure you can get a DLP that is 60" for a lot less than you could a few years ago, but flat panels are where thing are heading now.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #9 of 17 Old 11-30-2008, 03:05 PM

I know there is an official forum for the KDS-R50XBR1 and KDS-R60XBR1 sets, but I can't find anything on it other than the warranty extension for the optical block replacement. Can anyone verify that they have been offered the above listed replacement sets as an option for either of these SXRD units?

I would prefer the lcd panels and paying a little for one rather than worrying about the optical block issues repeating.

Thanks,

Koerp
post #10 of 17 Old 11-30-2008, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckoerper View Post

I know there is an official forum for the KDS-R50XBR1 and KDS-R60XBR1 sets, but I can't find anything on it other than the warranty extension for the optical block replacement. Can anyone verify that they have been offered the above listed replacement sets as an option for either of these SXRD units?

I would prefer the lcd panels and paying a little for one rather than worrying about the optical block issues repeating.

Thanks,

Koerp

i bought my parents an xbr1 and the ob blew 18 months in--the extended warranty was through cc and I believe that the new ob came with at least 2 years of additional warranty. no mention of an upgrade to them. the repair huys said it would have cost like 2000 to fix out of pocket....too bad as these sets have better pic q than any plasma I have seen...
post #11 of 17 Old 12-01-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckoerper View Post

Thanks,

Koerp

Well...I have a 2006 R50XBR1 and my OB failed. I have the green blob and a yellow/green tint that others have seen. I called Sony, had a service company come and look at it etc. Sony is telling me that I am not elligible for the "special circumstances" exchange program because I have a 2006 model.

So even though I knew about and asked about the replacement sets I was told no. I am concerned about that because the OB obviously has a fairly high rate of failure and when a new one fails it will likely not be covered by any warrrenty, which means the TV will be done.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-02-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
Unless they come back and make an exception to the '05, '06 lines I think m122y is correct. Currently the offer is only to the 2004 models, unless you can sweet talk them into the deal.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #13 of 17 Old 12-04-2008, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have an '05 60"XBR1 and was told yesterday by sony that while I can't use the exchange program with my current fan problem (tv sometimes fails to turn on), but if the OB goes bad (again) I can.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-04-2008, 05:05 PM

Thanks to all who chimed in. The tech just left my home and while in the process of replacing the OB went to disconnect a plug from a port on a circuit board and the port came right off the board. He looked at it and said it looked as if it was never glued to the circut board. Now the circuit board has to be replaced and so they took it to their shop. So I had a tv with bad color and now have no tv.
On the positive side I called Sony and they assured me that the circuit board would be replaced under warranty since it was done during the OB replacement. So much for quality control. Oh well.
Maybe it will go bad again before the warranty is up and I can talk them into the exchange program.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-04-2008, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmm.... never hit the owners thread(s)?

I, for one, could never go to a smaller TV. Still love my XBR1 but must be 70" or bigger for the next set. Since everyone abandoned RPTV, it seems I'm stuck admiring the Mitsu Diamond 73"...

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #16 of 17 Old 11-03-2010, 09:20 AM

Hi, first time on this forum but I have gotten a lot of info. I have just been offered the KDL55ex500 for $56 or the KDL ex 710 for $728 I know the ex series is their lower brand but anyone has some ides it would be great.

Thanks
post #17 of 17 Old 06-20-2011, 06:17 AM

I too had the green tint issue creep up after my Best Buy extended Warranty expired. I bought a KDS-60a2000 in 2/07 with a 4 yr warranty. I was researching new TV's when I came upon the optical block issues Sony had with rear projection LCD's. I called Sony customer support this morning and the rep was very accomodating. They offered me the following options:
KDL-46BX 421 FREE
KDL-40EX720 $50
KDL-55EX500 $135
KDL-60EX720 $1075
They want me to peel my serial number sticker off the back and put it on a 8x11 piece of paper along with the incident number they gave me and take a picture of the TV on with the green tint problem.
I'm not sure which one I'll get. Probably the free one. I just purchased a new Samsung PN64D7000F to replace my Sony. I would like to thank everyone who posted about this issue in these forums!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page