2009 Mitsubishi Owners Thread (C9/737/837) - Page 329 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #9841 of 11530 Old 01-15-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Is that software for the 65c9?

Nevermind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 11530 Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I been having the stuck on blue screen for a while now. I hope this firmware works. Just did it 11.03 on my 65c9. I was getting worried about that blue screen issue.
post #9843 of 11530 Old 01-16-2011, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjohnMD View Post

there's no need for main-pwb replacement.
they have new software that fixes the problem.

in fact, everyone should install the new software to prevent future failures.

you think we should install without there already being a problem?
do they advertise it as a 'welcome screen' fix?
i usually don't try and fix something unless it's broke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9844 of 11530 Old 01-16-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsfire View Post

Here is the 11.03 firmware direct download link for the 73C9

If we want them to keep the availability if the updates as simple as it is now I would suggest that posting direct links is a bad idea. All you need is your serial number on their website to make sure you download the correct version for your TV. If they get lots of complaints from people downloading the wrong thing by accident through a forum posting we may go back to the old way.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
Sony XBR75X940D, Sony XBR55X930D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Oppo BDP-103, Oppo BDP-93,
post #9845 of 11530 Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post

you think we should install without there already being a problem?
do they advertise it as a 'welcome screen' fix?
i usually don't try and fix something unless it's broke.

yes, i absolutely think that.
post #9846 of 11530 Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezmo View Post

If we want them to keep the availability if the updates as simple as it is now I would suggest that posting direct links is a bad idea. All you need is your serial number on their website to make sure you download the correct version for your TV. If they get lots of complaints from people downloading the wrong thing by accident through a forum posting we may go back to the old way.

i 2nd that motion. its only a recipe for disaster.
post #9847 of 11530 Old 01-16-2011, 10:13 AM

I'm seeding torrents for all the firmware updates.
post #9848 of 11530 Old 01-16-2011, 11:24 AM

dupe
post #9849 of 11530 Old 01-16-2011, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What's with the paranoia about updating, Mits wouldn't make it available if they didn't think it was needed. To each his own but I update firmware and software all the time and with never a problem. I see it as insurance kind of like changing the oil in my car to help the engine last.
post #9850 of 11530 Old 01-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave84 View Post

What's with the paranoia about updating, Mits wouldn't make it available if they didn't think it was needed. To each his own but I update firmware and software all the time and with never a problem. I see it as insurance kind of like changing the oil in my car to help the engine last.

Do you really think that software update went through the same quality control as your can of oil?
post #9851 of 11530 Old 01-16-2011, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just bought a Pioneer SC-35 receiver that has 3D capability. I have a WD-73837 TV. I purchased the Mitsubishi 3D Starter kit and am having trouble getting the receiver and TV to handle the 3D signal from the kit. Since the receiver has 3D mode, do I actually need to use the control box & remote for the kit, or can I just connect the 3D emitter to the TV without it?

Thanks
post #9852 of 11530 Old 01-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groggrog View Post

I just bought a Pioneer SC-35 receiver that has 3D capability. I have a WD-73837 TV. I purchased the Mitsubishi 3D Starter kit and am having trouble getting the receiver and TV to handle the 3D signal from the kit. Since the receiver has 3D mode, do I actually need to use the control box & remote for the kit, or can I just connect the 3D emitter to the TV without it?

Thanks

you need to use the adapter.
I would try directly from the blu-player 1st (bypass the reciever) just to make sure the player is setup correctly.
post #9853 of 11530 Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I'm seeding torrents for all the firmware updates.

please don't. If you feel the need, just post a link to the relevant section for the firmware on the Mitsubishi website.
post #9854 of 11530 Old 01-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" is a pretty good mantra to live by - that said I have updated my 65837: there is no added functionality in the latest firmware, so unless you are having problems there doesn't seem to be any reason to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cid67 View Post

please don't. If you feel the need, just post a link to the relevant section for the firmware on the Mitsubishi website.

Agreed - torrenting 20MB files that are freely available from the official source to anyone who needs them seems like an exercise in utter futility.
post #9855 of 11530 Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 AM

[quote=kjroddy;19843765]"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" is a pretty good mantra to live by - that said I have updated my 65837: there is no added functionality in the latest firmware, so unless you are having problems there doesn't seem to be any reason to do it.

Proactive or reactive what ever floats your boat. I didn't read anywhere what the update was addressing it maybe more than one issue is being taken care of or just some tweaks here and there who knows. I just don't see or have experianced any harm in updateing firmware when made available.
post #9856 of 11530 Old 01-17-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Proactive or reactive what ever floats your boat. I didn't read anywhere what the update was addressing it maybe more than one issue is being taken care of or just some tweaks here and there who knows. I just don't see or have experianced any harm in updateing firmware when made available.
right.
it's highly unlikely that they released a software version intended to make your TV worse.

Who knows what it fixes. There could be 50 minor bugs that it resolves or 1 big one.
post #9857 of 11530 Old 01-17-2011, 04:35 PM

I have a wd-60c9. Yesterday I downloaded the software update and followed the instructions. (I believe) Everything played out as noted in the instructions except the text message "software update complete" on my tv. I did see the USB drive light up so I assume the files were accessed. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Should I assume the software did not load if I did not get the message? Is there any downside to trying it again? Thanks in advance.
post #9858 of 11530 Old 01-17-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

It's very common that companies suggest not to upgrade unless you're experiencing certain issues. They do that because they know or are not completely sure it's safe to do to if a problem doesn't exist. It's also very common that a firmware or software upgrade can brick a device, especially if not done properly.

In this case due to the fact that they did post it on the website it's probably safe and fixes an issue which is present or could be. They wouldn't send me the 11.02 update unless I gave them a specific issue related to that update.

I also always update all my devices but I do so with my fingers crossed especially if I know others have had not so good luck.
post #9859 of 11530 Old 01-17-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipnotiq View Post

right.
it's highly unlikely that they released a software version intended to make your TV worse.

Who knows what it fixes. There could be 50 minor bugs that it resolves or 1 big one.

Are you serious? When have you ever seen a software update whose intent was to make things worse? Software updates are always intended to make things better and not break things - it just doesn't always work out that way.
post #9860 of 11530 Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
DanteV, go in and check your firmware version installed on the tv before trying to reinstall The instructions tell you how to check it .
post #9861 of 11530 Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post

Are you serious? When have you ever seen a software update whose intent was to make things worse? Software updates are always intended to make things better and not break things - it just doesn't always work out that way.

i think you made his point for him.
post #9862 of 11530 Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteV View Post

I have a wd-60c9. Yesterday I downloaded the software update and followed the instructions. (I believe) Everything played out as noted in the instructions except the text message "software update complete" on my tv. I did see the USB drive light up so I assume the files were accessed. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Should I assume the software did not load if I did not get the message? Is there any downside to trying it again? Thanks in advance.

on the download page after you agree to the ELUA there is a roll-over link that shows you instructions how to verify your TV software version...

ie: press menu and look in the lower right corner
post #9863 of 11530 Old 01-18-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:

on the download page after you agree to the ELUA there is a roll-over link that shows you instructions how to verify your TV software version...

ie: press menu and look in the lower right corner

Thanks I will check
post #9864 of 11530 Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:

i think you made his point for him.

I think you got lost somewhere

He was saying that it was good to install the updates as they become available because the company that is producing them probably wouldn't create them do something bad. Look at the post to which he was responding.
post #9865 of 11530 Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I think you got lost somewhere

He was saying that it was good to install the updates as they become available because the company that is producing them probably wouldn't create them do something bad. Look at the post to which he was responding.

I think we are starting to get diverted here. Lets just reiterate a little bit.

It's a good idea to always take flashing your bios seriously because if its not done correctly you do run a very real risk of breaking your TV. That being said, as long as you take proper steps to make sure that you flash your hardware correctly including not downloading your flash software from a 3rd party torrent, there is really very little risk of something going wrong. This is especially true considering Mitsubishi has made these updates available to ALL owners of the sets in question and not just a select few.

There could very well be some great improvements that could possibly come about as a result of a firmware update even if it seems like nothing has changed for the average Joe. Things such as perhaps a fix for the color decoder to tame blue luminance or even a saturation control in the service menu, just to think of a few potential fixes. I remain hopeful that some of these things may be possible however unlikely it may be that they will become reality.

an example to reinforce my case is the Sony PS3. Sony has a new mandatory flash for the PS3 almost every month it seems and nobody is saying don't flash that.

I think of it like this, there is always a small chance something can go wrong during a flash. There is also a small chance you could die in a car accident. Is that a reason to never Drive? I rest my case.
post #9866 of 11530 Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

It's very common that companies suggest not to upgrade unless you're experiencing certain issues. They do that because they know or are not completely sure it's safe to do to if a problem doesn't exist. It's also very common that a firmware or software upgrade can brick a device, especially if not done properly.

In this case due to the fact that they did post it on the website it's probably safe and fixes an issue which is present or could be. They wouldn't send me the 11.02 update unless I gave them a specific issue related to that update.

I also always update all my devices but I do so with my fingers crossed especially if I know others have had not so good luck.

Agreed, I try not to be the guinea pig I like to see how updates go for others first before down loading If there were problems I'd pass all though personally I've never had updates cause harm to any of my equipment. If a company were to specify that a patch or fix was meant for only one specific problem that I'm not experiencing I'd pass but general updates I'll do with zero concern.
post #9867 of 11530 Old 01-18-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cid67 View Post

I think of it like this, there is always a small chance something can go wrong during a flash. There is also a small chance you could die in a car accident. Is that a reason to never Drive? I rest my case.

That analogy makes no sense. But anyway just because they released an update doesn't make it foolproof, after all it's made to fix a screw-up. What's concerning is the fact that they don't say what the update does.

As I said in a previous post they wouldn't give me the 11.02 update unless I had a specific problem related to that update. That pretty much tells me they don't want me updating unless I have a problem.

In this particular case with the 11.03 I think it's safe to assume that because it was put on their website that it's safe to upgrade and the only error would be user error. On the other hand this update might be fixing issues they've had for some time. In an effort to stop paying for repairs, service calls,etc. They will direct everyone to the update. If it screws up your set you'll probably have a hell of a time proving it was caused by updating and not user error.
post #9868 of 11530 Old 01-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Hi - After spending the entire weekend fidgeting with the Mitsubishi 3D starter kit, I'm now stuck with a new issue that I can't seem to get out of. At this point I have removed all external components in order to get to bare minimum.

Current configuration:
Comcast/Motorola DCX3400 connected directly to HDMI port 1 using brand new HDMI 1.4a cable

Symptom:
Screen alternates between blue screen and a fuzzy white screen that looks almost like a UHF signal but not quite as messy. Sorry but that's the best way I can describe it. TV works fine with other devices (HTPC, Xbox), all connected via HDMI.

What I've tried, all failed:
1) Reset cable box to default settings from the maintenance menu
2) Tried cable box with both HDMI and DVI settings
3) Different HDMI port on the TV
4) Different HDMI cable
5) Swapped the cable box with an identical model from another tv. The original box works fine on the other TV, new box has same problem on WD-73837.

So I know the cable box is good because it works fine on another TV. For some reason the TV is no longer able to decode an HDMI signal from a DCX3400 cable box.

TV is at firmware version 11.03, which is the newest as of this past weekend. Is there a way to reset the TV to factory default, if that would even help? Any other ideas?

Thanks!!
post #9869 of 11530 Old 01-18-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does the box have the option to output 1080p only?
post #9870 of 11530 Old 01-18-2011, 04:16 PM

Nope, highest is 1080i...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version