RPTV owners---just curious---oldest HD set you have? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-17-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm not sure if there's a thread for this here (didn't find it when searching for the term oldest in this forum) but I'm wondering who has the oldest HD RPTV and how it's running.

I bought my original HD set in January of 2003--and it's still purring like a kitten: Toshiba 50HDX82. Never had to have it repaired. Eliab of Avical fame tuned it up in 2007 and I'm amazed that it looks as good as it does today.

I'm sure others have older sets...I'm just curious what make/model they are. I'd love to pose the same question for LCD and Plasma sets---but I guess I'd have to do that in each forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-17-2011, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have a Mits 65907 65" HD bought in 2001. It only has 1500 hrs on it and looks as good as back when i first got it.
Had it cleaned and calibrated 5 years ago. Should do it again shortly.
I use it with an OPPO 83 and HDFury2 and Blue Ray picture is fantastic.
Just bought Panasonic 58VT25 Plasma. Blue Ray picture is is about equal on both.
I actually prefer Mits for movies and Plasma for Comcast HD.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-17-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hitachi 65" SWX20B 2001. Cable guy just installed a multi room DVR he said: "WOW I can't believe how good the picture looks".

He didn't expect it with an old RPTV. I have to admit it's almost as good as my Mits 73737.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-18-2011, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic PT-52LCX66 52" that I bought back in 2006. It was my main TV until a few weeks ago when I upgraded to a Mits 73738. The Panny is still running strong and is now being used in another room.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
More interesting question, -what was the first one that was generally available in stores? I'm pretty sure it would have been a CRT-RP.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-18-2011, 09:29 PM

Toshiba 57HX81 (2001) 57" rear-projection CRT. About to ditch it. No HDMI (only component), no built-in tuner, 1080i, overscan is unacceptable for newer games that push graphics to the very edge of the screen resolution, huge/deep by today's standards, and overly dim for the typically bright room it's always been in. Yeah when it's been properly adjusted and tuned, and the shades were pulled down, it's looked fantastic. But it's just such a hassle to keep it tuned up every few years. Rather than go through that again, given the other issues I think it's time to just let it go. The one thing that still stands out over the years is the excellent sound it puts out.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-18-2011, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampster View Post

Toshiba 57HX81 (2001) 57" rear-projection CRT. About to ditch it. No HDMI (only component), no built-in tuner, 1080i, overscan is unacceptable for newer games that push graphics to the very edge of the screen resolution, huge/deep by today's standards, and overly dim for the typically bright room it's always been in. Yeah when it's been properly adjusted and tuned, and the shades were pulled down, it's looked fantastic. But it's just such a hassle to keep it tuned up every few years. Rather than go through that again, given the other issues I think it's time to just let it go. The one thing that still stands out over the years is the excellent sound it puts out.

Yeah sounds like a real piece of junk. I'll be right over to help you haul it off.........lol
post #8 of 17 Old 04-21-2016, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any 10+ y/o RPTV's still going strong in 2016?

Just started tooling around the forums again and found this post I started in early 2011.

Was wondering if anyone else is still using a RPTV on a(n) (almost) daily basis? I still have my Toshiba 50hdx82 down in the basement. Still humming along. Figure I won't be able to replace her until she dies and then I can take her apart piece by piece to get her OUT of the basement!

No way I'm trying to replace that TV while it's still in one piece....vibrant and functional. Too damn heavy to get up the steps for my old bones!
post #9 of 17 Old 04-22-2016, 08:20 AM

Funny that this thread is back, I was scrolling through and skimming one of the posts and didn't even realize at first it was mine.

My Panasonic PT-52LCX66 is still running just fine as a secondary TV and it's just about 10 years old now. It probably gets used more now than it used to since I switched to a Tivo setup and put a mini on that TV. My 73" Mitsubishi is still humming along just fine. Replaced the lamp last year but aside from that haven't had to do anything to keep it running. I'll probably keep using it until it dies or new TVs that are the same size or bigger come down in price to about what I paid for this one.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-22-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I've got a Mitsubishi WS 65813 as my sole television. It has amazing color, brightness, and blacks. I wish I could find someone in LA who would do a careful optics cleaning, and focus.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-22-2016, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I too still have a mits ws-65813 as my main display. Rich color, Inky blacks, just a gorgeous picture. Bought it used about 7 yrs ago. Not a gamer so not bothered by a little overscan. No reason to get rid of it. I clean the lens and mirror every couple of years and tweak the convergence about 4 times a year. Also have a Hitachi 51uwx20b thats been unused since a got the mits those 7 yrs ago. Not letting that one go either. I was thinking the other day I may never buy another set again in my lifetime given the reliability of the ones I got.

Angelo
post #12 of 17 Old 04-26-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Two years ago I regrettably let my loved Hitachi 65f59 go. And I have missed it so much since. I had that baby really dialed in...with the help of so many people on Mr. Bob's thread. I was recently in a Chuck E Cheeses for my grandson's 4th birthday Party. And they had 2 of the exact same models of my Hitachi up on the stage. It was instant nostalgia by me. And surprisingly, the picture quality was still awesome. Even though there was some obvious misalignment of the Green gun. If I had the room...I'd grab one of these in a heart beat even today. Because their color fidelity is still unmatched by new tech IMO. Since the wife and I downsized...sold a huge house...moved into a modest 2 BR apt...I am faithfully using the unbeatable (to my eyes) Sony FD34XBR970HD direct view CRT HDTV.

I've owned it since buying it new in 2007. And it has never even hiccupped. Color fidelity...contrast ratio...inky/oily deep blacks, give colors a burst of life that I still find unmatched. Sharpness is not as strong as the new tech. But its plenty sharp enough for me. And its full package...even at 1080i still puts it at head of class to my eyes over the cheap, throwaway 1080p models in the marketplace (in its size range). To get the big screen, movie experience in the apartment, I plan to grab a BenQ 1080st on the cheap. And just throw it on the LR wall. That won't give me the thrill of the Hitachi 65"er. But the 100+" size will compensate some. And the Sony 34"er should be enough to work horse my main viewing, the rest of my dance here on planet Earth. As Charlston Heston said; "They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands"! meaning the Sony FD34XBR970HD, in my case.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-25-2018, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have two Mitsubishi 65813 TVs. They are both gorgeous and going strong. One I purchased in 2005 new old stock and the second one I repaired myself got it free on craigslist. It had the green blinking light of death. I had CraigR come and calibrate them. Great guy great work. Been so long I don’t know who’s in the business anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 17 Old 09-04-2018, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb View Post
I'm not sure if there's a thread for this here (didn't find it when searching for the term oldest in this forum)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmperez View Post
I have two Mitsubishi 65813 TVs. They are both gorgeous and going strong. One I purchased in 2005 new old stock and the second one I repaired myself got it free on craigslist. It had the green blinking light of death. I had CraigR come and calibrate them. Great guy great work. Been so long I don’t know who’s in the business anymore.

the-how-old-is-your-dlp-tv-thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/63-re...tv-thread.html

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 09-04-2018 at 08:07 AM.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-21-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb View Post
Just started tooling around the forums again and found this post I started in early 2011.

Was wondering if anyone else is still using a RPTV on a(n) (almost) daily basis? I still have my Toshiba 50hdx82 down in the basement. Still humming along. Figure I won't be able to replace her until she dies and then I can take her apart piece by piece to get her OUT of the basement!

No way I'm trying to replace that TV while it's still in one piece....vibrant and functional. Too damn heavy to get up the steps for my old bones!
Yes - we own a Sony KDF60XS955 and it is our primary TV. Owned since 2006, replaced the original lamp just last year and just last month had the light engine repaired due to the "blue blobs", but we're back on-line.

Dave

KDF60XS955 owner
post #16 of 17 Old 09-25-2018, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My 720p Sony KDF-E50A10 RP-LCD is somehow still going strong. Bought a used DVDO iScan VP30 about two years ago mainly to deal with the set's inherent overscan and replaced the lamp for the first time in 2015 but other than that the unit has been fine since I bought it December 2005. I realize I'm one of the lucky ones
post #17 of 17 Old 05-18-2019, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have two mits 65813 from 2003 or 2004. I use them as my primaries daily. I bought them in 2005 new old stock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page