Why the hatred for DLP? - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #421 of 445 Old 09-14-2018, 12:35 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,223
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
I'm still on my original Bulb in my 2012 Mitsubishi 82" DLP set. But if the bulb dies I might end up replacing it with a UHD set. In 2015 when I got my first UHD set, I had BestBuy haul away two perfectly good DLP sets. A Samsung LED DLP set and a Toshiba DLP set. But I just did not have the room to keep them around. Plus they were only 65" and 67" sets. And since Best Buy had free haul away service with my new TV purchase, I used it to get rid of them. But i would have loved to have been able to keep the LED DLP set. Since it didn't have the spinning wheel like my other DLP sets have/had. I loved that TV. But they are just so big with the depth.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #422 of 445 Old 09-14-2018, 07:35 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,223
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
hmm.. just a few hours after I made the previous post, I decided to dump my Mitsubishi DLP set. I will be putting my smaller 2015 Sony UHD TV in it's place. And BestBuy will be hauling the Mitsubishi away. Like before, I don;t have the room to keep the perfectly good DLP TV around. But since I'm getting a new UHD TV, I'll be moving the older 65" UHD TV in the location that the 82" Mitsubishi is. Not ideal since I really loved the 3D from the 82" DLP set, but I don't really have much choice. At least my 65" Sony UHD TV will still have 3D. But the TCL 6 Series UHD TV I ordered does not.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #423 of 445 Old 09-14-2018, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PaulGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North Potomac, MD
Posts: 4,043
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I live in the same area as you and about 2 years ago my son bought a 4K TV and got rid of a Samsung DLP. I think he found someone local in Virginia who posted on one of the Samsung DLP forums that purchase these sets for parts. He came over to his house and he got over $100 for his set.
PaulGo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #424 of 445 Old 09-14-2018, 10:04 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,223
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
Thanks. That doesn't sound bad. But Ill probably stick with the best buy haul away solution for the convenience.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #425 of 445 Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Member
 
pilot999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm still on my original Bulb in my 2012 Mitsubishi 82" DLP set. But if the bulb dies I might end up replacing it with a UHD set. In 2015 when I got my first UHD set, I had BestBuy haul away two perfectly good DLP sets. A Samsung LED DLP set and a Toshiba DLP set. But I just did not have the room to keep them around. Plus they were only 65" and 67" sets. And since Best Buy had free haul away service with my new TV purchase, I used it to get rid of them. But i would have loved to have been able to keep the LED DLP set. Since it didn't have the spinning wheel like my other DLP sets have/had. I loved that TV. But they are just so big with the depth.
I still have my Samsung 67 inch DLP. It's been running great for 10 years now. Can't believe you actually gave one of those sets away. Wish I would have known, I might have made you an offer.

I just added a darbeevision unit to it and have to say I really am not interested in UHD at all. Still amazed at the picture. Plus, I still enjoy 3D which this set also does a fine job .

But, as you said, the negative with these that says you can't hang them on the wall. But that's not important for me. If I do have some problems with this set in the future, I know I will make a maximum effort to fix and repair it myself. It might just be my last TV. ( I am in my mid-60s now). DLP is still a great technology.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
allargon likes this.
pilot999 is offline  
post #426 of 445 Old 11-28-2018, 03:39 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,223
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot999 View Post
I still have my Samsung 67 inch DLP. It's been running great for 10 years now. Can't believe you actually gave one of those sets away. Wish I would have known, I might have made you an offer.

I just added a darbeevision unit to it and have to say I really am not interested in UHD at all. Still amazed at the picture. Plus, I still enjoy 3D which this set also does a fine job .

But, as you said, the negative with these that says you can't hang them on the wall. But that's not important for me. If I do have some problems with this set in the future, I know I will make a maximum effort to fix and repair it myself. It might just be my last TV. ( I am in my mid-60s now). DLP is still a great technology.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
I didn't give them away. Bestbuy hauled them away for trash. Just like they did two months ago with my 82" Mitsubishi DLP, I first got in 2012. I picked up a TCL 6 Series UHD TV. And moved my old Sony UHD TV into the room where the Mitsubishi was.

It really sucked to get rid of my last DLP set. Since I had been using them since 2005, when I got the first Samsung 1080P DLP. But the majority of what i watch now is UHD content. So keeping the Mitsubishi 1080P DLP set around didn't make much sense for me. With 1080P and lower content being the minority of what I watch now.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #427 of 445 Old 10-31-2019, 10:15 PM
Member
 
kblackburn101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canton , Ohio
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Why the hatred for DLP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I didn't give them away. Bestbuy hauled them away for trash. Just like they did two months ago with my 82" Mitsubishi DLP, I first got in 2012. I picked up a TCL 6 Series UHD TV. And moved my old Sony UHD TV into the room where the Mitsubishi was.



It really sucked to get rid of my last DLP set. Since I had been using them since 2005, when I got the first Samsung 1080P DLP. But the majority of what i watch now is UHD content. So keeping the Mitsubishi 1080P DLP set around didn't make much sense for me. With 1080P and lower content being the minority of what I watch now.

Does bestbuy force you to throw them out or did you dislike dlp? Why spend so much on a tv to toss it out
Wow 82”? BEsbuy probably recycles them for profit there toxic to the environment.

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens
kblackburn101 is offline  
post #428 of 445 Old 11-23-2019, 11:09 AM
Member
 
Run&Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I’ve had a rear projection Mitsubishi DLP set continuously in my den for over 11 years. A 73” that I bought in 2008 and then a 92” as they were discontinuing them(don’t remember the exact year, but maybe 2012-2013). I think I replaced the lamp once in the 73” and my friend that I gave it to when I bought the 92” may have replaced it once, as well(before he got rid of it). I’ve replaced the lamp a few times on the 92” and it’s still chugging along, but it’s on it’s way out the door. Not because it hasn’t been a good TV or I’ve had issues, but now I can finally go 120” front projection in a relatively easy manner with the LG HU85 UST projector(which ironically is still DLP), that’s almost as easy as just removing it from atop the components cabinet and placing the new projector in its place. The hardest thing will be hanging the screen properly, but otherwise, it will be almost ‘plug-n-play’.

Rear projection DLP sets were the best bang-for-the-buck in screen size, back in the day. Heck, you still can’t get a flat panel 90”+ as inexpensively as you could a 92” DLP rptv. Were/are they perfect? No. But everything has its trade-offs and you have to pick the ones that you can live with to get what you want(or close to it). I know going in that my brand new projector won’t have the blacks and contrast that my OLED in the bedroom has, but no one is making or selling a 120” OLED set for $6K(I’m actually in for about $6600 with the projector and ES CLR screen). I think I was $4k in for the 92”, but it’s been so long ago, I can’t remember.

Now, what will I do with the 92”...? I offered it to my Mom, since she’s moving into a bigger house, but she doesn’t want a TV that big. It’s still working fine and I’m not the type of person that just throws something like that in the dumpster. I guess I’ll see if my buddy that I gave the 73” to previously, is interested.
Run&Gun is offline  
post #429 of 445 Old 11-24-2019, 07:01 PM
Member
 
kblackburn101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canton , Ohio
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Why the hatred for DLP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
I’ve had a rear projection Mitsubishi DLP set continuously in my den for over 11 years. A 73” that I bought in 2008 and then a 92” as they were discontinuing them(don’t remember the exact year, but maybe 2012-2013). I think I replaced the lamp once in the 73” and my friend that I gave it to when I bought the 92” may have replaced it once, as well(before he got rid of it). I’ve replaced the lamp a few times on the 92” and it’s still chugging along, but it’s on it’s way out the door. Not because it hasn’t been a good TV or I’ve had issues, but now I can finally go 120” front projection in a relatively easy manner with the LG HU85 UST projector(which ironically is still DLP), that’s almost as easy as just removing it from atop the components cabinet and placing the new projector in its place. The hardest thing will be hanging the screen properly, but otherwise, it will be almost ‘plug-n-play’.



Rear projection DLP sets were the best bang-for-the-buck in screen size, back in the day. Heck, you still can’t get a flat panel 90”+ as inexpensively as you could a 92” DLP rptv. Were/are they perfect? No. But everything has its trade-offs and you have to pick the ones that you can live with to get what you want(or close to it). I know going in that my brand new projector won’t have the blacks and contrast that my OLED in the bedroom has, but no one is making or selling a 120” OLED set for $6K(I’m actually in for about $6600 with the projector and ES CLR screen). I think I was $4k in for the 92”, but it’s been so long ago, I can’t remember.



Now, what will I do with the 92”...? I offered it to my Mom, since she’s moving into a bigger house, but she doesn’t want a TV that big. It’s still working fine and I’m not the type of person that just throws something like that in the dumpster. I guess I’ll see if my buddy that I gave the 73” to previously, is interested.

Wow are they worth it if you see one free ? Not sure why would get rid of a 92” if it still works you don’t have a secondary room set up ?
Amazing story though shame the format died , projectors replaced them ?
What’s bulb cost and no light bleeds like led?
That’s what kills my led tv for movies light bleeds terrible for dark films .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by kblackburn101; 11-24-2019 at 07:11 PM.
kblackburn101 is offline  
post #430 of 445 Old 11-24-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,402
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2169 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Can't believe this thread is still alive
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #431 of 445 Old 11-24-2019, 08:58 PM
Member
 
kblackburn101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canton , Ohio
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Why the hatred for DLP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Can't believe this thread is still alive
Is this technology a golden goose ready to hatch ? For watching older films on and stuff
I hate my Sony 4£k tv so bad for old movies I’ve considered setting up a old crt tube tv .

I’ve never a dlp yet but with all the issues of my led non hdr junk tv and stuff . Wonder if they are better for movies ?? Problem is how expensive are bulbs ?? And are projectors better for small rooms or no I’m broke see dlp for free often .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalku

Last edited by kblackburn101; 11-24-2019 at 09:10 PM.
kblackburn101 is offline  
post #432 of 445 Old 11-24-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,402
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2169 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackburn101 View Post
Is this technology a golden goose ready to hatch ? For watching older films on and stuff

I’ve never a dlp yet but with all the issues of my led non hdr junk tv and stuff . Wonder if they are better for movies ?? Problem is how expensive are bulbs ?? And are projectors better for small rooms or no I’m broke see dlp for free often .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd rather get a cheapo TCL Roku TV than go back in time 15 years.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #433 of 445 Old 11-24-2019, 11:32 PM
Member
 
Run&Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackburn101 View Post
Wow are they worth it if you see one free ? Not sure why would get rid of a 92” if it still works you don’t have a secondary room set up ?
Amazing story though shame the format died , projectors replaced them ?
What’s bulb cost and no light bleeds like led?
That’s what kills my led tv for movies light bleeds terrible for dark films .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She must know she's being replaced, because the image seems better than it has in a while(brighter). I thought I was gonna have to replace the lamp several months ago, but right now, the image seems about as good as new.

No real room for it without it seeming very out of place, besides its current location. The cabinet is over 80" wide and at least 2' deep.

Just checked Amazon for the last lamp I bought two years ago and it's only $80($79.99).
Run&Gun is offline  
post #434 of 445 Old 11-25-2019, 09:10 AM
Member
 
kblackburn101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canton , Ohio
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Why the hatred for DLP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I'd rather get a cheapo TCL Roku TV than go back in time 15 years.
Yeah but isn’t dlp better then my Sony , 2015 Sony led tc have light bleed problems . Ruins movies


No light bleed on roku ? Cheaper tv aren’t too good at up conversions. So definitely not a fix for watching old content. Maybe just use a 1080p tv ?
I wish I would had been smart enough to return this junk tv , some movies look good on Blu-ray but dvd is god awful .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by kblackburn101; 11-25-2019 at 09:27 AM.
kblackburn101 is offline  
post #435 of 445 Old 11-25-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Augerhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: About 25" away from my computer screen
Posts: 5,467
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I'd rather get a cheapo TCL Roku TV than go back in time 15 years.
DLP is actually the 2nd newest technology with OLED being the newest. Plasma is the 3rd, and LCD tech is the oldest. So the TCL is old tech.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
Augerhandle is offline  
post #436 of 445 Old 11-25-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 11,994
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3703 Post(s)
Liked: 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
DLP is actually the 2nd newest technology with OLED being the newest. Plasma is the 3rd, and LCD tech is the oldest. So the TCL is old tech.
DLP has been around since the '90s.

I should add that DLPs have been around in decent volume (read commercial high end) since the '90s. Plasma didn't really take off till the '00s.

I realize plasma was around earlier than that in limited volume or R&D, but using that standard DLP goes back to the '70s.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village

Last edited by Ericglo; 11-25-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Ericglo is online now  
post #437 of 445 Old 11-26-2019, 02:05 PM
Member
 
Clesarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
I’ve had a rear projection Mitsubishi DLP set continuously in my den for over 11 years. A 73” that I bought in 2008 and then a 92” as they were discontinuing them(don’t remember the exact year, but maybe 2012-2013). I think I replaced the lamp once in the 73” and my friend that I gave it to when I bought the 92” may have replaced it once, as well(before he got rid of it). I’ve replaced the lamp a few times on the 92” and it’s still chugging along, but it’s on it’s way out the door. Not because it hasn’t been a good TV or I’ve had issues, but now I can finally go 120” front projection in a relatively easy manner with the LG HU85 UST projector(which ironically is still DLP), that’s almost as easy as just removing it from atop the components cabinet and placing the new projector in its place. The hardest thing will be hanging the screen properly, but otherwise, it will be almost ‘plug-n-play’.

Rear projection DLP sets were the best bang-for-the-buck in screen size, back in the day. Heck, you still can’t get a flat panel 90”+ as inexpensively as you could a 92” DLP rptv. Were/are they perfect? No. But everything has its trade-offs and you have to pick the ones that you can live with to get what you want(or close to it). I know going in that my brand new projector won’t have the blacks and contrast that my OLED in the bedroom has, but no one is making or selling a 120” OLED set for $6K(I’m actually in for about $6600 with the projector and ES CLR screen). I think I was $4k in for the 92”, but it’s been so long ago, I can’t remember.

Now, what will I do with the 92”...? I offered it to my Mom, since she’s moving into a bigger house, but she doesn’t want a TV that big. It’s still working fine and I’m not the type of person that just throws something like that in the dumpster. I guess I’ll see if my buddy that I gave the 73” to previously, is interested.
Is that 92" a Mitsubishi laservue or is it a traditional bulb type dlp?
Clesarie is offline  
post #438 of 445 Old 11-26-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Augerhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: About 25" away from my computer screen
Posts: 5,467
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
DLP has been around since the '90s.

I should add that DLPs have been around in decent volume (read commercial high end) since the '90s. Plasma didn't really take off till the '00s.

I realize plasma was around earlier than that in limited volume or R&D, but using that standard DLP goes back to the '70s.
That is incorrect. you are confusing DLP with CRT rear projection sets.

The first LCD consumer TV was introduced by Sharp in 1988. The first consumer plasmas to sell were JVCs and Pioneers in 1997. The first consumer DLP to sell was Mitsubishi's in 2001, four years after plasma, and thirteen after LCD.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
Augerhandle is offline  
post #439 of 445 Old 11-26-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 11,994
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3703 Post(s)
Liked: 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
That is incorrect. you are confusing DLP with CRT rear projection sets.

The first LCD consumer TV was introduced by Sharp in 1988. The first consumer plasmas to sell were JVCs and Pioneers in 1997. The first consumer DLP to sell was Mitsubishi's in 2001, four years after plasma, and thirteen after LCD.
I am pretty sure DP, Christie, Barco, Electrohome were making DLP rear projection in the late 90s. Maybe not, but they were definitely making front projectors with DLP. Again I said commercial high end. If your standard is consumer, then you are probably correct.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is online now  
post #440 of 445 Old 11-26-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Augerhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: About 25" away from my computer screen
Posts: 5,467
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
I am pretty sure DP, Christie, Barco, Electrohome were making DLP rear projection in the late 90s. Maybe not, but they were definitely making front projectors with DLP. Again I said commercial high end. If your standard is consumer, then you are probably correct.
This thread is about DLP TVs, but even if not, and even if your date of the late 90s was true, DLP would still be the newest tech of the three.

And you stated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
...
I realize plasma was around earlier than that in limited volume or R&D, but using that standard DLP goes back to the '70s.
If you want to go back further, plasma was invented 1964, LCD 1964, DLP 1987 (a full 23 years newer that the other two, and NOT in the 70s).

Any way you cut it, DLP is the newest tech of the three.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 11-26-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Augerhandle is offline  
post #441 of 445 Old 11-26-2019, 11:47 PM
Member
 
Run&Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clesarie View Post
Is that 92" a Mitsubishi laservue or is it a traditional bulb type dlp?
Traditional lamp. I can't remember if they made a LaserVue set that large.
Run&Gun is offline  
post #442 of 445 Old 11-27-2019, 02:09 PM
Member
 
kblackburn101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canton , Ohio
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
DLP is actually the 2nd newest technology with OLED being the newest. Plasma is the 3rd, and LCD tech is the oldest. So the TCL is old tech.


Why was dlp dumps by tech companies?? Would you suggest getting one used for movies ? My led tv has bad light bleeding


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kblackburn101 is offline  
post #443 of 445 Old 11-27-2019, 02:11 PM
Member
 
kblackburn101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canton , Ohio
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
DLP is actually the 2nd newest technology with OLED being the newest. Plasma is the 3rd, and LCD tech is the oldest. So the TCL is old tech.


Why was dlp dumps by tech companies?? Would you suggest getting one used for movies ? My led tv has bad light bleeding
Maybe just wait til I get a job and buy oled? To dlp good for dvd ? Blu-ray


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kblackburn101 is offline  
post #444 of 445 Old 11-27-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Augerhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: About 25" away from my computer screen
Posts: 5,467
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackburn101 View Post
Why was dlp dumps by tech companies?? Would you suggest getting one used for movies ? My led tv has bad light bleeding
Maybe just wait til I get a job and buy oled? To dlp good for dvd ? Blu-ray


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lack of sales. As the last few posts have shown, people misunderstood the technology, plus ever since the movie Total Recall, wives wanted TVs to hang on the wall like pictures. Near the end, they had a slew of DMD chips fail in some models. Besides already low sales, having to offer free repairs probably contributed to the decision to quit making them.

A later model DLP is great for movies. I've been looking for a particular model for five years. I have found three of that model (WD-73840) in my area, all sold before I could even make an offer.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
Augerhandle is offline  
post #445 of 445 Old 11-28-2019, 01:29 PM
Member
 
kblackburn101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canton , Ohio
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
DLP is actually the 2nd newest technology with OLED being the newest. Plasma is the 3rd, and LCD tech is the oldest. So the TCL is old tech.
Ahh I see R.I.P.
why so thinness of screen must trump all other details ? To consumers then it looks like anything not oled should go extinct .
What does qled do to make it so popular ?

Why was dlp dumps by tech companies?? Would you suggest getting one used for movies ? My led tv has bad light bleeding
Maybe just wait til I get a job and buy oled? To dlp good for dvd ? Blu-ray


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kblackburn101 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Rear Projection Units

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off