Why the hatred for DLP? - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #421 of 426 Old 09-14-2018, 11:35 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9218 Post(s)
Liked: 5927
I'm still on my original Bulb in my 2012 Mitsubishi 82" DLP set. But if the bulb dies I might end up replacing it with a UHD set. In 2015 when I got my first UHD set, I had BestBuy haul away two perfectly good DLP sets. A Samsung LED DLP set and a Toshiba DLP set. But I just did not have the room to keep them around. Plus they were only 65" and 67" sets. And since Best Buy had free haul away service with my new TV purchase, I used it to get rid of them. But i would have loved to have been able to keep the LED DLP set. Since it didn't have the spinning wheel like my other DLP sets have/had. I loved that TV. But they are just so big with the depth.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 426 Old 09-14-2018, 06:35 PM
UHD Addict

hmm.. just a few hours after I made the previous post, I decided to dump my Mitsubishi DLP set. I will be putting my smaller 2015 Sony UHD TV in it's place. And BestBuy will be hauling the Mitsubishi away. Like before, I don;t have the room to keep the perfectly good DLP TV around. But since I'm getting a new UHD TV, I'll be moving the older 65" UHD TV in the location that the 82" Mitsubishi is. Not ideal since I really loved the 3D from the 82" DLP set, but I don't really have much choice. At least my 65" Sony UHD TV will still have 3D. But the TCL 6 Series UHD TV I ordered does not.

post #423 of 426 Old 09-14-2018, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I live in the same area as you and about 2 years ago my son bought a 4K TV and got rid of a Samsung DLP. I think he found someone local in Virginia who posted on one of the Samsung DLP forums that purchase these sets for parts. He came over to his house and he got over $100 for his set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 426 Old 09-14-2018, 09:04 PM
UHD Addict

Thanks. That doesn't sound bad. But Ill probably stick with the best buy haul away solution for the convenience.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

post #425 of 426 Old 11-28-2018, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm still on my original Bulb in my 2012 Mitsubishi 82" DLP set. But if the bulb dies I might end up replacing it with a UHD set. In 2015 when I got my first UHD set, I had BestBuy haul away two perfectly good DLP sets. A Samsung LED DLP set and a Toshiba DLP set. But I just did not have the room to keep them around. Plus they were only 65" and 67" sets. And since Best Buy had free haul away service with my new TV purchase, I used it to get rid of them. But i would have loved to have been able to keep the LED DLP set. Since it didn't have the spinning wheel like my other DLP sets have/had. I loved that TV. But they are just so big with the depth.
I still have my Samsung 67 inch DLP. It's been running great for 10 years now. Can't believe you actually gave one of those sets away. Wish I would have known, I might have made you an offer.

I just added a darbeevision unit to it and have to say I really am not interested in UHD at all. Still amazed at the picture. Plus, I still enjoy 3D which this set also does a fine job .

But, as you said, the negative with these that says you can't hang them on the wall. But that's not important for me. If I do have some problems with this set in the future, I know I will make a maximum effort to fix and repair it myself. It might just be my last TV. ( I am in my mid-60s now). DLP is still a great technology.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
allargon likes this.
post #426 of 426 Old 11-28-2018, 02:39 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot999 View Post
I still have my Samsung 67 inch DLP. It's been running great for 10 years now. Can't believe you actually gave one of those sets away. Wish I would have known, I might have made you an offer.

I just added a darbeevision unit to it and have to say I really am not interested in UHD at all. Still amazed at the picture. Plus, I still enjoy 3D which this set also does a fine job .

But, as you said, the negative with these that says you can't hang them on the wall. But that's not important for me. If I do have some problems with this set in the future, I know I will make a maximum effort to fix and repair it myself. It might just be my last TV. ( I am in my mid-60s now). DLP is still a great technology.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
I didn't give them away. Bestbuy hauled them away for trash. Just like they did two months ago with my 82" Mitsubishi DLP, I first got in 2012. I picked up a TCL 6 Series UHD TV. And moved my old Sony UHD TV into the room where the Mitsubishi was.

It really sucked to get rid of my last DLP set. Since I had been using them since 2005, when I got the first Samsung 1080P DLP. But the majority of what i watch now is UHD content. So keeping the Mitsubishi 1080P DLP set around didn't make much sense for me. With 1080P and lower content being the minority of what I watch now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page