2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 1413 Old 09-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Senior Member
 
suncom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the top models have the 3d support built in,I think most lower models have a external emitter option you can buy.
I went to pauls local here today and couldnt get the price walts or pauls online would do until I called them and had them send me the online best price.I got a 82842 for 2099,I decided against the CC screen,I could just see too many reflections in it even in low lighting environment, I believe the CC is really just a dedicated home theater room display in a almost dark room its great,but I watched them side by side at pauls in low lighting and I thought the matte screen was very close in crispness with almost no glare,so thats what I went with. I think mits changed the CC screen on the 80s just cause they are becoming more common place as living room displays these days.
I also got some other features in the 842 model that I could nt get in the 840 CC model. Football season should be great this yr with a better bigger display,and a much better team in the redskins...finally got a decent qb,I wont know what to do watching a team actually win some games on a new display ....high hopes anyway....
suncom3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 1413 Old 09-02-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
enthuzist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

the top models have the 3d support built in,I think most lower models have a external emitter option you can buy.
I went to pauls local here today and couldnt get the price walts or pauls online would do until I called them and had them send me the online best price.I got a 82842 for 2099,I decided against the CC screen,I could just see too many reflections in it even in low lighting environment, I believe the CC is really just a dedicated home theater room display in a almost dark room its great,but I watched them side by side at pauls in low lighting and I thought the matte screen was very close in crispness with almost no glare,so thats what I went with. I think mits changed the CC screen on the 80s just cause they are becoming more common place as living room displays these days.
I also got some other features in the 842 model that I could nt get in the 840 CC model. Football season should be great this yr with a better bigger display,and a much better team in the redskins...finally got a decent qb,I wont know what to do watching a team actually win some games on a new display ....high hopes anyway....

Yes, my Panthers looked very good on the 92". I had to go to a non-local channel to get RGIII in 1080p. I can't wait until Wednesday!

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
enthuzist is offline  
post #33 of 1413 Old 09-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
 
suncom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was so irritated that non of the skins preseason games were contracted for hd,cbs and fox have both been doing sd the last few yrs of preseason for the skins...when is this crap gonna end...you would think all nfl would be hd by now.
suncom3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 1413 Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Newbie
 
vik2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am new to this forum and am looking into buying the new 73", so either the 73742 or 72842. The difference is about 300$ in price. But when I look at the specs, I was thinking if the additional features are worth paying extra. All the features (except the bluetooth RF) look to be sound related. I have a good home theatre system (Harman Kardon + Polk audio), so do not really need the audio related features. Any thought?

Also, is it worth buying an extended warranty? Walts offers a 6 yr one for ~300 bucks.

Thanks
Vik
vik2002 is offline  
post #35 of 1413 Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Newbie
 
brinox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vik2002 View Post

Also, is it worth buying an extended warranty? Walts offers a 6 yr one for ~300 bucks.

I would say that hearing about the DMD chip going bad (micromirrors sticking in place) is the only worry I have about buying a DLP. I am sincerely interested in looking for the best extended warranty option available. I do not look at it as a percentage cost of the display overall (~$200 5 year warranty for a 73" $950 TV), but rather peace of mind knowing that I won't have to worry about it for 5 years financially. To me, that peace of mind is completely worth it. However I do know that a lot of people are more interested in the bottom line cost in the here and now rather than the overall potential cost of ownership in the long run, depending on how long you want this TV to last.

Given what I have researched and found on the mits DMD chips getting stuck, I think the extended warranty is worth it, given the price for one DMD replacement chip out of pocket (~$250 is what I found in said research).
brinox is offline  
post #36 of 1413 Old 09-03-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
enthuzist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

i was so irritated that non of the skins preseason games were contracted for hd,cbs and fox have both been doing sd the last few yrs of preseason for the skins...when is this crap gonna end...you would think all nfl would be hd by now.

I never could understand that being that I live in their local viewing area, which overlaps Panthers viewing area, but Panthers are shown in 1080p.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vik2002 View Post

Hi,
I am new to this forum and am looking into buying the new 73", so either the 73742 or 72842. The difference is about 300$ in price. But when I look at the specs, I was thinking if the additional features are worth paying extra. All the features (except the bluetooth RF) look to be sound related. I have a good home theatre system (Harman Kardon + Polk audio), so do not really need the audio related features. Any thought?
Also, is it worth buying an extended warranty? Walts offers a 6 yr one for ~300 bucks.
Thanks
Vik

I went with the 842 due to the bluetooth emmitter and just being a newer model which comes with some unlisted and unspoken improvements/fixes. With so many more companies signing on to the Full HD 3D protocol, the offerings will be plenty. I will never get a large or electronic purchase without a warranty. I bought the Walt's warranty also.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
enthuzist is offline  
post #37 of 1413 Old 09-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Senior Member
 
suncom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i didnt go with the warranty,its not that expensive of a display,and It comes with a 2 yr warranty with pauls I think? Ill prolly be moving on to something diff in the next 3 yrs anyway. Does anyone know if the 842 has the wireless built in or do you still need a adapter I forgot to check while i was there ?
suncom3 is offline  
post #38 of 1413 Old 09-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Member
 
K7JQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

i didnt go with the warranty,its not that expensive of a display,and It comes with a 2 yr warranty with pauls I think? Ill prolly be moving on to something diff in the next 3 yrs anyway. Does anyone know if the 842 has the wireless built in or do you still need a adapter I forgot to check while i was there ?


For wireless internet, you still need a dongle in the USB port, otherwise, run an ethernet cable.. Bluetooth RF 3D emitter is built in. If you want to use IR glasses, you need an external IR emitter, such as that supplied with the Xpand 3DG-EX103 kit...IR glasses, and emitter that plugs into the rear of the 842.
K7JQ is offline  
post #39 of 1413 Old 09-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
suncom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
geez ya think they would have that built in their top of the line model by 2012..whats the diff in the blue tooth 3 d glasses are they any better,They are including 2 sets of glasses with the tv I assume these are the ones you are talking about above?
suncom3 is offline  
post #40 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Member
 
BrentBridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The WD-73742 that I own does have the built in IR 3D emitter. No need for an external one. I'm sure the 842 does as well.
BrentBridge is offline  
post #41 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 AM
GEP
Advanced Member
 
GEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
No the 842 models do not have IR emitter, only Bluetooth RF transmitter. Almost all of the active glasses 3D TVs are moving away from IR and towards RF.

Benefits:
1. RF (radio frequency) glasses are not line of sight so maintain sync as long as they are in the range of the transmitter. (you can get up and go to the bathroom or the kitchen and put the glasses down and not worry about how the face). IR is line of sight, if you turn away from the source display, you can lose sync - normally comes back fast.
2. RF glasses cannot be blocked by a person of object between you and the TV. IR can be blocked by something or someone between you and the emitter - not such a problem with Mitsubishi because they use the entire screen to spread the IR to wider angles – (something flat panels cannot do).
3. Currently (may be not forever but a least currently) the Bluetooth glasses are noticeably lighter in weight than the IR glasses.
4. Bluetooth glasses are the direction most of the active glasses 3D TV manufacturers are going so there will be a larger pool glasses to chose from.
GEP is offline  
post #42 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
suncom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
brent...I was referring to the built in wireless internet. built in.The question on bluetooth 3d is separate from that issue

gep..I was told this type of glasses were also much cheaper. They are suppose to be delivering 2 pair with the tv,I dont know what brand they will be though.
suncom3 is offline  
post #43 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 09:38 AM
GEP
Advanced Member
 
GEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Their "top of the line" - the LaserVue, does have wireless built-in. Considering how much lower in price the Mits 82" and 92" are than the Sharp 80" and 90", there does need to be somethings not offered to keep the price lower.
GEP is offline  
post #44 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Member
 
BrentBridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Whoops, looks like I mis-read and mis-informed. Sorry.
BrentBridge is offline  
post #45 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
enthuzist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The Xpand X104 with RF dongle should be the recommended glasses per Xpand and Mitsubishi. They have yet to update both websites though. However they confirmed with me prior to my purchase. Walts should have their new glasses and RF dongle inventory now also per my last conversation with them. The RF dongle provides continuous sync even when I walked out my front door to meet a UPS driver...can't beat that.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
enthuzist is offline  
post #46 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
MANTI5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm planning to get the 73742. Will it come with any glasses and if not, what are considered good ones?
MANTI5 is offline  
post #47 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 02:36 PM
GEP
Advanced Member
 
GEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANTI5 View Post

I'm planning to get the 73742. Will it come with any glasses and if not, what are considered good ones?

No the TV does not come from the manufacturer with glasses, however some retailers bundle them - it depends on the retailer.

There is no universal agreement on "what are considered good ones". It is really subjective opinion not objective fact and I have not seen a strong group of opinion for one brand or solution. I personally like the Xpand product. There are three choices from Xpand that are compatible with that model of TV.

1. X103 universal IR glasses - you need to select the Panasonic setting for your model of the Mitsubishi TVs, not the Samsung/Mitsubishi setting. Yes you do need to set the glasses the first time.
2. 3DG-X103 IR glasses "made for Mitsubishi TV" - very similar to the X103 but they automatically sync to the TV so you do not need to set them up.
3. X104 glasses universal IR, you do not need the RF dongle for these glasses if you have the 742 Series but you do need the RF dongle for the 842 series. I do not know exactly how these are setup but they come with instructions.

Other people like some of the other brands of universal IR glasses better, I do not have deep experience with the other brands.

For DLP Link, any glasses marketed as DLP Link are compatible with the Mitsubsihi TVs but performance does vary.
GEP is offline  
post #48 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
enthuzist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

No the TV does not come from the manufacturer with glasses, however some retailers bundle them - it depends on the retailer.
There is no universal agreement on "what are considered good ones". It is really subjective opinion not objective fact and I have not seen a strong group of opinion for one brand or solution. I personally like the Xpand product. There are three choices from Xpand that are compatible with that model of TV.
1. X103 universal IR glasses - you need to select the Panasonic setting for your model of the Mitsubishi TVs, not the Samsung/Mitsubishi setting. Yes you do need to set the glasses the first time.
2. 3DG-X103 IR glasses "made for Mitsubishi TV" - very similar to the X103 but they automatically sync to the TV so you do not need to set them up.
3. X104 glasses universal IR, you do not need the RF dongle for these glasses if you have the 742 Series but you do need the RF dongle for the 842 series. I do not know exactly how these are setup but they come with instructions.
Other people like some of the other brands of universal IR glasses better, I do not have deep experience with the other brands.
For DLP Link, any glasses marketed as DLP Link are compatible with the Mitsubsihi TVs but performance does vary.

With the X104 and RF dongle and the 842 series, select the Samsung/Mitsubishi option in the settings and make sure you upgrade the firmware. I agree with GEP...the Youniversals are very good glasses, but you will get as many different reviews as there are options, so go to a store and try a few and research online prior to making a purchase.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
enthuzist is offline  
post #49 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
enthuzist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
First review has been added to the first post.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
enthuzist is offline  
post #50 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Senior Member
 
MANTI5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into the Xpands.
MANTI5 is offline  
post #51 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Senior Member
 
suncom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
nice review,I got mine delivered today,I dont mind the matter screen its very close to the sammy I had before. Im trying out some setttings,the best I can find is natural on high setting with the color pushed a little and the brightness and contrast brought down a bit..Its very impressive on a sammy blueray,and alright on a dtv,hddvr. regular shows on network tv look decent,seems to be some soft looking spots in the screen here and there with this type programming,Football looks great though,super sharp looking very little motion artifacts.
They brought me the wrong glasses 103 model, hopefully they will get me the 104 models,Why does the 842 need a dongle to work with these glasses if it has built in bluetooth rf in the tv already?

The settings in the perfect color and advanced setting look way outa my league to mess with,has anyone got any pro calibration settings for the 842 posted up to try out yet? Did the 840 model have all these settings as well?

I dont know how you guys are watching a 93 from 12 ft back,Im moving from a 70 to a 82 inch display at about 12 ft back and its takin me a while to get use to it,feels like its working my eyes hard,Im watching battleship in blue ray and its fantastic looking,inside the black bars I find this more easy to watch,but dtv full screen movies like pirates were much tougher to watch,and MUCH less clear. Ive tried component and hdmi and cant tell much diff with either input. although these hdmi cables are very old,I doubt they are 1.4 Will that make a diff,anyone have any links to the best hdmi cable for the money on monoprice,I cant find the info on that Ive seen in the past here.
suncom3 is offline  
post #52 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Member
 
The Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

I am looking into buying a new Mitsubishi 60" or 65" DLP to upgrade from my Samsung 55" DLP I have had for about four years now. I have experienced color wheel failure and the "planetarium" effect of white dots. Both were repaired under my extended warranty as was my first bulb replacement after over 4,000 hours of use.

I am hoping the newer sets no longer have the white dot problem or the color wheel failures. Best Buy has still offers DLPs and I find the picture to be quite good. My current set is a 720P model and the ones I am looking at are 1080P (Yes!) and 3D capable (Not sure about that aspect). Any advice on the new Mitsubishi DLPs or should I just avoid them and go plasma like I did downstairs for my family room?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
The Scott is offline  
post #53 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
|Tch0rT|'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lower mid Michigan
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scott View Post

Hi!
I am looking into buying a new Mitsubishi 60" or 65" DLP to upgrade from my Samsung 55"

Mits no longer makes 60" or 65" models. 73" is the smallest they make now. The 2010 models were the last of the 60" and 65" models IIRC.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

|Tch0rT| is offline  
post #54 of 1413 Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Member
 
The Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

Mits no longer makes 60" or 65" models. 73" is the smallest they make now. The 2010 models were the last of the 60" and 65" models IIRC.

Hmmmm... Thanks! Must be new old stock. Would you say they are good units or not worth buying at this point. My Samsung works fine but I would like 1080p. 73" would not work in my viewing room as it is too big ( the room is roughly 10' X 10') and these two models would be kinda pushing it. Too bad as I bet the 73" is stunning! I would be giving my 55" to my mother to replace a 32" Mitsubishi CRT I have her several years ago. She has said she would be thrilled to have it as she is a movie fan herself.

I am just hoping that the white dot syndrome (and any other well known problems!) was cured by the time these particular models were made. I like the picture displayed by DLP. It works for me. Plasma is very nice though.
The Scott is offline  
post #55 of 1413 Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
enthuzist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

They brought me the wrong glasses 103 model, hopefully they will get me the 104 models,Why does the 842 need a dongle to work with these glasses if it has built in bluetooth rf in the tv already?

The 104s are IR only without the RF dongle. The 842 series doesn't have a built-in IR emitter anymore...only RF (bluetooth not the Bit Cauldron type RF).
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

I dont know how you guys are watching a 93 from 12 ft back,Im moving from a 70 to a 82 inch display at about 12 ft back and its takin me a while to get use to it,feels like its working my eyes hard,Im watching battleship in blue ray and its fantastic looking,inside the black bars I find this more easy to watch,but dtv full screen movies like pirates were much tougher to watch,and MUCH less clear.

Actually THX suggest a 9.13' seating distance for a 92" display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

Ive tried component and hdmi and cant tell much diff with either input. although these hdmi cables are very old,I doubt they are 1.4 Will that make a diff,anyone have any links to the best hdmi cable for the money on monoprice,I cant find the info on that Ive seen in the past here.

As long as it says "High Speed" or "High Speed with Ethernet" and 24AWG...CL2 is only for in-wall setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scott View Post

Hmmmm... Thanks! Must be new old stock. Would you say they are good units or not worth buying at this point. My Samsung works fine but I would like 1080p. 73" would not work in my viewing room as it is too big ( the room is roughly 10' X 10') and these two models would be kinda pushing it. Too bad as I bet the 73" is stunning! I would be giving my 55" to my mother to replace a 32" Mitsubishi CRT I have her several years ago. She has said she would be thrilled to have it as she is a movie fan herself.
I am just hoping that the white dot syndrome (and any other well known problems!) was cured by the time these particular models were made. I like the picture displayed by DLP. It works for me. Plasma is very nice though.

For your setup, I would just go with a 65" Panasonic plasma or a Samsung/Sharp LED. I wouldn't buy that old of a TV for my main room.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
enthuzist is offline  
post #56 of 1413 Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Senior Member
 
suncom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
huh so there is no glasses out that work with blue tooth rf right now? this tv is all about some dingle berries,umm I mean dongles..lol. The 1080p it displays are really pretty with movies at this distance,But im not referring to thx suggestions to movie viewing. With the black bars this distance feels great,most movies even without them feel alright also,But watching some network tv this close is really hard on my eyes,especially football when they really zoom in on players or coaches while they are still moving..It feels like my head is spinning..im sure thx doesnt take this into account.. Im going to keep it at least 25 days and see if I can get use to it.

So each set of glasses needs the dongle on them? I was looking on xpands website and dont really see a picture of how the dongle attaches to them? how much extra do they cost to make it work with the rf?
suncom3 is offline  
post #57 of 1413 Old 09-05-2012, 10:03 AM
GEP
Advanced Member
 
GEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

huh so there is no glasses out that work with blue tooth rf right now? this tv is all about some dingle berries,umm I mean dongles..lol. The 1080p it displays are really pretty with movies at this distance,But im not referring to thx suggestions to movie viewing. With the black bars this distance feels great,most movies even without them feel alright also,But watching some network tv this close is really hard on my eyes,especially football when they really zoom in on players or coaches while they are still moving..It feels like my head is spinning..im sure thx doesnt take this into account.. Im going to keep it at least 25 days and see if I can get use to it.

You seem to not be reading the posts correctly. There are Bluetooth 3D glasses already on the market and they are compatible with the Mitsubishi 842 series TVs.

Any Samsung glasses with model numbers that start SSG-3xxx (the “x”s are the rest of the individual model number) are Bluetooth and there is somewhere in the neighborhood of six Samsung models of Bluetooth glasses.

Panasonic glasses TY-ER3D4MU are compatible Bluetooth glasses.

Xpand X104 with the Xpand dongle added TO THE GLASSES are Bluetooth glasses and compatible.

Any Bluetooth glasses baring the marking “Full HD 3D Glasses” RF are compatible and more of these are coming on the market as this is becoming the standard for Bluetooth glasses.

Most likely any 3rd party brand of Bluetooth 3D glasses that advertise compatibility with Panasonic Bluetooth will be compatible. Panasonic is one of the founding companies for the “Full HD 3D Glasses” and they use that standard for Bluetooth (as does Mitsubishi).

As for your broadcast TV issues,

1. Make sure you are watching the HD version of the channels whenever possible. There is often SD and HD versions on satellite.
2. Most network TV looks better with a little lighting on the rear wall behind the TV.
3. Turn down the “color” a little – over intense colors are fatiguing.
4. If you watch in a dark room, turn down the Contrast a little more. Contrast adjustment adjusts the peak brightness of the TV and in a dark room the TV peak brightness is sometimes too bright.
5. Yes, if you are not accustomed to the size, it does take a little time to getting used to, however once you do get used to it, you can't go back to a TV that is much smaller.
GEP is offline  
post #58 of 1413 Old 09-05-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
enthuzist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

huh so there is no glasses out that work with blue tooth rf right now? this tv is all about some dingle berries,umm I mean dongles..lol. The 1080p it displays are really pretty with movies at this distance,But im not referring to thx suggestions to movie viewing. With the black bars this distance feels great,most movies even without them feel alright also,But watching some network tv this close is really hard on my eyes,especially football when they really zoom in on players or coaches while they are still moving..It feels like my head is spinning..im sure thx doesnt take this into account.. Im going to keep it at least 25 days and see if I can get use to it.

The X104 is a "universal" option. The RF dongle adds the Bluetooth function. It is very small and doesn't add to the feel at all. The present partners in the protocol are Samsung, Panasonic, Sony and Mitsubishi. More will/have joined, but the org site hasn't updated the partner list as of today. I felt the same way when I bought the 61", but became used to it very quickly. The formula THX uses actually takes a lot into account (search the web for the scientific/technical details involved). However everyone's preference is not the same, so you have to go with the mean figure for a best fit overall. I tested the distance in the store before I purchased. BTW...I wear glasses too, but do not need them with this size of TV.

Update: Looks like GEP beat me to the response. I was stopped by a visitor.smile.gif

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
enthuzist is offline  
post #59 of 1413 Old 09-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Member
 
Rchiffelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a WD83742 recently, very happy with it, great features and awesome 3D.

The set has about 3 % overscan (I guess thats normal for these), any way to adjust this? I own the service manual, but I didn't see an easy control for it. The horizontal position was off some, but that was an easy fix.

Curious about the new bluetooth/RF format they've built into the 842's, the glasses will be the key to good PQ. I had a Mits 65" before and for the 3D, I ended up using the OPTOMA/MV 3D RF. I can adjust the delay and duration, which made a signficant difference. With these new units you can turn off the DLP flash, and with FullHD3D there are no polarization rainbows! it used to drive me nuts having tried just about every make of DLP link glasses and seeing those, or they were too light and/or added too much green to the blacks, comfort wasn't even a factor. The 3D resolution appears better over the checkerboard format as well (could be just the larger size).

I think the THX distance formula is based on the approximate widest angle that people can still perceive detailed information (I want to say 40%?). I sit a little under 9' from an 82" and I can still register detail at the edges, everyone is different, but it makes a nice difference for 3D (suspenson of disbelief). Everyone said I was crazy, but once they've watched a good 3D flick they agree, closer is better. For watching broadcast TV, not so much.

Anyway great forum and thread!
Rchiffelle is offline  
post #60 of 1413 Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 PM
GEP
Advanced Member
 
GEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchiffelle View Post

I bought a WD83742 recently, very happy with it, great features and awesome 3D.
The set has about 3 % overscan (I guess thats normal for these), any way to adjust this? I own the service manual, but I didn't see an easy control for it. The horizontal position was off some, but that was an easy fix.
Curious about the new bluetooth/RF format they've built into the 842's, the glasses will be the key to good PQ. I had a Mits 65" before and for the 3D, I ended up using the OPTOMA/MV 3D RF. I can adjust the delay and duration, which made a signficant difference. With these new units you can turn off the DLP flash, and with FullHD3D there are no polarization rainbows! it used to drive me nuts having tried just about every make of DLP link glasses and seeing those, or they were too light and/or added too much green to the blacks, comfort wasn't even a factor. The 3D resolution appears better over the checkerboard format as well (could be just the larger size).
I think the THX distance formula is based on the approximate widest angle that people can still perceive detailed information (I want to say 40%?). I sit a little under 9' from an 82" and I can still register detail at the edges, everyone is different, but it makes a nice difference for 3D (suspenson of disbelief). Everyone said I was crazy, but once they've watched a good 3D flick they agree, closer is better. For watching broadcast TV, not so much.
Anyway great forum and thread!

Overscan at 3%? you must mean 3% per edge for an overall 6%. 3% total is extremely small and unlikely. 5-6% is normal. Overscan is a projected overscan and thus not adjustable. The projection lens projects the entire image but the edges spill out past the screen edges on the inside of the TV. The TV does not have a "zoom" lens so you can't change this.

You can still use your Optoma/MV glasses, however these are not Bluetooth or "Full HD 3D". They are Zigbee RF instead of Bluetooth RF. You just need to plug the transmitter into the jack on the back of the TV, just like you did on your old TV and turn off the internal emitter in the TV 3D menu, two different RF signals at the same time might interfer with each other.
GEP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Wd 73c12 73 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Dlp Home Cinema Tv

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off