My Samsung 507 review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by sasha_j

I assume the feed from the AccessDTV card was 3 wire component 720P? please confirm.

While I plan for connecting a HTPC to a future 507, my situation with a remote rack precludes DVI use. I would be greatly in your debt if you could try the RGB input and report back. I understand it tops out @ 1024x768 and cannot do 1280x720 native.
No, the feed from the AccessDtv is RGB.

I will try and get that done. However, it could take a little while. All this playing means that I need to get back to work.

-Steve

A musing or too much?
I wonder what that a*^ is thinking today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tivolicious

No, the feed from the AccessDtv is RGB.

-Steve
Using the PC input could explain the noise you noticed. My understanding is the hi-res component input gives the cleanest (analog) results for 1280x720, when you cannot use DVI.

Regards,

Sasha Jevtich
post #63 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Steve,

No, the only options through all three component inputs is Normal and Wide (full). It even says this in the manual.

What about your Xbox picture on some games. Does it come up short on the left hand side?

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info on that.

Another thing along the lines of an earlier post, my receiver the pio 49x upgrades all signals to component for output.

I was planning on using the pio for switching everything, but since my s vhs and replay tv are actually sending svhs signals that are upgraded to component then sent out from the receiver, am i correct in assuming that having the component out of the receiver running to component 2 will make the non progressive displays like the replay and s vhs unwatchable?

If this is correct, as i suspect, that really blows. Guess i can just run the svhs out of the receiver into the tv for thsoe two components, but that really removes the ease of switching i have right now...
post #65 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Using the component inputs only full and normal are available? Does this mean that when using the progressive output from a dvd player that the 507 locks in full like some of the Pioneer's used to do? How does this affect the viewing of anamorphic dvd's? I have a Sony 9000ES dvd player and I don't think it does scaling. Should this be a purchase concern?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve
post #66 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cinder
Thanks for the info on that.

Another thing along the lines of an earlier post, my receiver the pio 49x upgrades all signals to component for output.

I was planning on using the pio for switching everything, but since my s vhs and replay tv are actually sending svhs signals that are upgraded to component then sent out from the receiver, am i correct in assuming that having the component out of the receiver running to component 2 will make the non progressive displays like the replay and s vhs unwatchable?

If this is correct, as i suspect, that really blows. Guess i can just run the svhs out of the receiver into the tv for thsoe two components, but that really removes the ease of switching i have right now...
Are you using your receiver to switch HD material? Does the Pio have the bandwidth to handle this without loss. If I were you, I would use Comp1 with your receiver and use comp2 for the Hi-Def.

-Steve

p.s. you are correct that it wouldn't work

A musing or too much?
post #67 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nunmobile
Using the component inputs only full and normal are available? Does this mean that when using the progressive output from a dvd player that the 507 locks in full like some of the Pioneer's used to do? How does this affect the viewing of anamorphic dvd's? I have a Sony 9000ES dvd player and I don't think it does scaling. Should this be a purchase concern?

Thanks,

Steve
Comp1 allows:

Wide
Normal
Zoom1
Zoom2

Anamorphic DVDs would be viewed in WIDE
Letterboxed would be viewed in Zoom
Pan and Scan would be viewed in Normal

-Steve

p.s. Does that answer your question?

A musing or too much?
post #68 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Steve,
Very interesting comments in your post. Have you or your wife noticed any rainbow effect?

Jeff
post #69 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jedvik
Thanks Steve,
Very interesting comments in your post. Have you or your wife noticed any rainbow effect?

Jeff
Nope

A musing or too much?
post #70 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

The pio is ultra 2 certified and has ample bandwidth for traditional HD broadcast. I probably wouldn't switch a D Vhs tape through it though, but i've never seen any degradation to my eyes and the reviews i've read also agree that there is zero degradation. As always this is subjective to many people and their many eyes :) In the end i'll go the dvi route, probably by december.

That said i would have trouble running the hd stb to component 2 because then i would lose the hd potential of my x box.

Also i see that you have shown what comp 1 allows regarding aspect ratio control, what about comp 2? Would a dvd player hooked into comp 2 lock in full making it unable to zoom a letterboxed non anamorphic show. For that matter would a NTSC letterboxed show running into comp 2 from your stb also lock in full?
post #71 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Steve,

Can you answer my question about your XBox games? Some of mine, World Series Baseball, NFL Blitz 2002, leave some of the screen on the left unused. Lets say 1/2". The screen does not appear to be centered.

Please let me know...

Thanks,

Frank
post #72 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ftlee
Steve,

Can you answer my question about your XBox games? Some of mine, World Series Baseball, NFL Blitz 2002, leave some of the screen on the left unused. Lets say 1/2". The screen does not appear to be centered.

Please let me know...

Thanks,

Frank
Frank,

I heard you the first 2 times. I just don't have the X-box hooked up at the moment. IIRC I didn't have such a problem.

-Steve

A musing or too much?
post #73 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Steve, should one connect a progressive scan DVD to component 1 or the others? Thanks for all the inforamtion.
post #74 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Steve,

Please let me know...

Thanks,

Frank
Frank, according to http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...?threadid=8539 the two games you mentioned do not support 16:9. That means that you are stretching the 4:3 screen of Blitz to fill your Samsung screen. Which zoom mode on the Samsung are you using to stretch these games? If you stretch regular SD 4:3 TV programs using that zoom mode do you get the same 1/2" black border?
post #75 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pspun
Steve, should one connect a progressive scan DVD to component 1 or the others? Thanks for all the inforamtion.
I believe all the component inputs support 480p, so you could use any of them for a progressive scan DVD player.
post #76 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Steve,

Thanks! I didn't mean to give you a hard time. What is "IIRC"?

Thanks,

Frank
post #77 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 11:37 AM
Bri

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
"If I Recall Correctly"?

Nice work Steve.
post #78 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dliquid,

I use Wide (Full) mode for everything. The 4:3 SD material does not have this issue. It takes up the whole screen. I tried putting the XBox on the 4:3 setting and the 16:9 setting (Same Results). It does not happen on ALL of the games.

Thanks,

Frank T. Lee
post #79 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Frank, take a look at that link I gave, and see if the games it happens on and the games it does not happen on has anything to do with whether the game supports 16:9 mode. Also, for the 4:3 games like Blitz and World Series Baseball, if you don't want to play them in Normal (4:3) mode then maybe you should use a different stretch mode?

Doh! I just read your previous post that Normal and Wide are the only options for the component inputs (although Tivolicious says otherwise for component 1). That sucks, I wonder why they did that? It would look much nicer to stretch something like Blitz using one of those other modes. Or if Tivolicious is correct, maybe you should try using component 1 if you're not already.

You say "4:3 SD material does not have this issue," but have you tried 4:3 SD material through the component input you're using for the XBox? It seems to me that if you play a widescreen/anamorphic DVD through your XBox on Wide setting you might experience the same problem. Do you? Of course, unless you're using component 1, you will not be able to view the XBox 480i DVD output.
post #80 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dliquid,

I checked out that list and none of the games that I have tried support 16:9 but, yet some of them display just fine. KnockOut Kings 2002 is one game that displays correctly. So is RalliSport.

By the way, my kids videos, like Pooh, Barney, etc. are not 16:9 but, when played through the XBox they display correctly also.

Frank
post #81 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 01:26 PM

Steve

I have not been able to see the set in the Rochester N.Y. area so I would like your personal accessment on the video quality with dvd and HD. Is it able to handle dark scenes? Does the room need to be darkened? Relative to the $2000 sets sony etc. does the quality of the picture alone justify the extra price.

Of course there are other advantages such as weight etc. but my main concern is the picture relative to high quality crt based tv's wega xbr's etc.

Thanks
Dave
post #82 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 01:36 PM

Tivolicious posted:

Here is the bottom line; DirecTV compresses the hell out of their signals. There is no getting around this. Lord knows I have tried ( try DirecTV ---> DScaler via SDI).

Steve:

I know this is changing the subject a bit, but I have looked into SDI-modifying my DirecTivo to run through an HTPC, particularly with the Samsung monitor. Given the cost involved in doing so, would you recommend it? How much of a "noticeable" improvement can you see?

Thanks!

"Eternally Upgrading!"
post #83 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dave,

I have had this set for a little over a week now. Picture QUALITY wise, this TV DOES NOT offer anything over the Sony 61HS30 that I had. As a matter of fact, it is worse for DirecTV and 480i DVD. My wife, who is not a videophile by no means, can notice the difference. It may still be going back for a CRT RPTV.

The ONLY and I mean ONLY reason it is already not exchanged is because I like to play XBox on it and not worry about the burn-in issues. I have dealt with burn-in once before and know it is a reality.

P.S. It is not the internal scaler or de-interlacer, as I am outputing DirecTV from a Panasonic HDTV box at 720P - 16:9.

Frank T. Lee
post #84 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 04:04 PM

Frank,

The picture on these definitely dont "look" like a CRT RPTV. Having viewed a wide range of sets including the GW, Samsung, DLP Panny, LCD Panny, and DLP Hitachi, I am pretty certain I can tell the difference between DLP and CRT RPTV just by looking at the picture itself. I would say that anyone who loves the look of images on a good CRT RPTV needs to take some time viewing a DLP set in person before making a decision.

However, this cuts both ways. My wife just doesnt like the look of CRT RPTV and much prefers digital projection sets (whether they are DLP or LCD). It may have something to do with working with computers all day.
post #85 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

tyrtle,

A lot of people get caught up in the WOW factor. Example; I spent a lot of time with the GW unit over at the local Tweeter store. When I initially saw it, I thought, I have to have one of those it is really nice. After going back a few times, I started to dislike the set more and more each time so, I didn't end up buying it.

Also, a lot of people will try to convince you that their purchase was the only purchase to make and if you thought of anything else you were crazy. I get the impression that it is their way of justifying the amount of money that their Home Theater equipment costs.

I know that DirectTV is compressed "to hell" but, that is no excuse for a poor picture. My Sony 61HS30 had much more screen real estate and it looked MUCH better than this 507W looks. And, what about 480i DVDs? Do they have "poor" signal quality? If not, why does it not look as good as my old RPTV? I am having a hard time sprending this amount on a TV and knowing that there are cheaper HDTVs that produce a MUCH better picture. Like I said, if it wasn't for having "burn-in" on one Sony RPTV, this TV would have already been back at the store for another Sony...

I got bit by the HYPE on this unit. I ordered from Tweeter for much more than the group buy just to get it before anyone else. Even bragged about it to my HT friends. Then the TV is a BIG letdown when it arrives (to me and my friend). He owns a 65" Diamond MITS and says the same thing about the picture quality.

Frank T. Lee
post #86 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 05:13 PM

You can buy 2 sets and worry "less" about burn-in.
If all is equal.
my $4k.
post #87 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 05:16 PM

Quote:
tyrtle,

A lot of people get caught up in the WOW factor.
Frank, that is very true. It's all about setting the right expectations. This TV is a DLP set that upscales all signals to 720p, that means NTSC will not look as good as on non digital sets, it's just common sense.

I am getting it because I will also be getting the Samsung T160, and want to be "wow'd" by the HD broadcasts through DVI (never converted to analog). Wow'ed I believe I will be with that.

I have no allusions though as to the quality of NTSC or analog signlas in general. I will also build an HTPC and use it on this set with no worries of burn-in.

Those two factors made me jump in on the powerbuy. I realise though that my TiVo signal will look like pure dung, but my Denon 1600 DVD player should look decent, and the HDTV signals through DVI should look breathtaking.

- Sepia
post #88 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
the TV is a BIG letdown when it arrives
Hmmm, maybe if you have the space and don't mind taking up all that real estate in your living room, a full size RPTV would be nice, but for me this is an interim tv for me till the plasma's come down in price and improve on PQ. The no burn in is a GREAT thing that I look forward to, I was looking at the Panny LCD tv before finding out about this technology and I am glad that is such an affordable technology. I will be sitting 9ft back from the screen and believe that this TV will hold me over for about 3 yrs, my 6 yr old Hitachi 51" RPTV is still going strong, but wanted 16:9 and need to take up less space in my new room, so it looks like the Samsung will be the TV that keeps me happy for about 3 yrs. I do appreciate everyone's reviews about this TV and it has helped me make my decision.

Jim

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #89 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sepia
This TV is a DLP set that upscales all signals to 720p, that means NTSC will not look as good as on non digital sets, it's just common sense.
I don't think that is common sense at all. If the set possesses a good scaler/deinterlacer I don't see any reason why "NTSC will not look as good as on non digital sets," unless your signal is not clean. With a good enough scaler/deinterlacer it could even look better.

Let's not make excuses for the Samsung. If DVDs :eek: and DirecTV look bad there's no way I will buy this thing. Of course, to judge SD DirecTV I'd really like see it working with a SIR-TS160, since I would assume it was pretty much designed for the HLM507W.
post #90 of 237 Old 08-06-2002, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by tyrtle
Frank,

The picture on these definitely dont "look" like a CRT RPTV. Having viewed a wide range of sets including the GW, Samsung, DLP Panny, LCD Panny, and DLP Hitachi, I am pretty certain I can tell the difference between DLP and CRT RPTV just by looking at the picture itself. I would say that anyone who loves the look of images on a good CRT RPTV needs to take some time viewing a DLP set in person before making a decision.

However, this cuts both ways. My wife just doesnt like the look of CRT RPTV and much prefers digital projection sets (whether they are DLP or LCD). It may have something to do with working with computers all day.
That's me. I would never pay money for a RP-CRT. At least not one I've ever seen and I've seen many. Pioneer Pro-1000 50" HD Plasma? That would be my fav if I wanted to spend $7500.

I can spend $3200.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page