Older Hitachi Convergence/geometry woes. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-23-2002, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for some help in regard to my 8 year old Hitachi 50UX14B. I recently had it cleaned and "adjusted" by a local TV repair center tech who made the picture unwatchable, with horrid ghosting and a fuzzy picture (much worse than pre-service).

The TV eventually went into the shop and came back with a better overall picture, but now there is bad color misconvergence in the upper left and lower right corners (i.e. white text is split into red, white and green, like the Italian flag)). In addition, the upper portion of the screen exhibits geometric distortion, such that letter box bars and text slant down toward to the right. I intended to provide a link to pictures but my ISP's website creation software isn't functioning for me. You'll have to provide your own mental images.

This TV must be adjusted via tweaking controls on a control board below the screen. I saw the tech do it and I'm able to get to the board. I'm just afraid to do anything for fear that I'll create a real mess. I really need advice from a Hitachi-savvy forum member as to whether this problem is worth tackling on my own. Mfusick, I believe you know a good deal about these sets. Anyone's suggestions, hints or procedural protocols will be appreciated.

I do have a service manual copy, but it gives absolutely no information about convergence and geometric adjustment. The best it does is give a layout of the control board. I also have the Avia HT disc.

Thanks so much.

Looking for a true home theater experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-23-2002, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
I would start buy ordering the service manual for that model.

If it has a "control board" where you turn a bunch of little screws to adjust the convergence, then I am not the one for you. My freind got for free a 46" sony video scope RPTV, and it had controls and screws on a board. It was a nightmare to align and never came out correct.

You can check out http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...achi_tips.html for some more help..

Good luck
post #3 of 7 Old 08-23-2002, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mfusick, I do have a service manual which is non-helpful in this case. Yes, this does have the board with numerous screws for adjustment. From what you say, it sounds that aligning and converging this type of set is very difficult. Thanks for your response.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-23-2002, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Well,

I tried it blind with trial and error (not recomended) and without a service manual.

I would call back the repair place and tell them your not satisfied.

Or try to learn yourself. Personally I am not afraid, cause I prefer to do things myself, I tend to think most people can't do things as well as I can too.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-24-2002, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

My wife and I spoke with the repair facility numerous times and this was the best we could get. We did get a big price break.

I would really like to learn how to perform the convergence myself, I'm just not sure how to start out. And the service manual on this model is ridiculous. There's "0" about convergence procedure. I do appreciate your thoughts.

post #6 of 7 Old 08-27-2002, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5272 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Convergence on these older sets can be very difficult. Some sets actually have a seperate convergence manual (and sometimes convergence remote). The fact that your service manual has not mention of convergence suggest that there is a seperate manual. It may be worthwhile to checkout the "ask a calibrator" section of the ***************.com. They may be able to help you out here.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-27-2002, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Marc, thanks for your words and advice. I'll check over in the "spot".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page