No color when using Component video on LCD RPTV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Augerhandle

post #1 of 8 Old 02-17-2015, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question No color when using Component video on LCD RPTV

I just recently picked up a new Mitsubishi WD-52531 LCD rear projection television set and went to plug my old Xbox into it using component cables. After hooking it up and turning it on, I was surprised to see that the picture was in grayscale. This problem appears in both component ports and at any resolution (480i/p, 720p, 1080i). Here's the interesting part: I am unable to replicate the problem hooking this console up to a different television using the same cable. I have already tested the component inputs on the Mitsubishi using another device and confirmed that they are working properly. I have hooked up this console to other Mitsubishi digital rear projection televisions in the past with no problems.

Why would a television with confirmed working component ports hooked up to a confirmed working console with a confirmed working video cable yield this kind of result?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-19-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel 2012 View Post
I just recently picked up a new Mitsubishi WD-52531 LCD rear projection television set and went to plug my old Xbox into it using component cables. After hooking it up and turning it on, I was surprised to see that the picture was in grayscale. This problem appears in both component ports and at any resolution (480i/p, 720p, 1080i). Here's the interesting part: I am unable to replicate the problem hooking this console up to a different television using the same cable. I have already tested the component inputs on the Mitsubishi using another device and confirmed that they are working properly. I have hooked up this console to other Mitsubishi digital rear projection televisions in the past with no problems.

Why would a television with confirmed working component ports hooked up to a confirmed working console with a confirmed working video cable yield this kind of result?
Double-check your connections. It's possible that a plug wasn't fully seated.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #3 of 8 Old 02-19-2015, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Post Double Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
I triple checked them. Besides, if I'm seeing a picture at all, doesn't that indicate the successful connection of the Y (green)? And shouldn't I be seeing at least an image with a green tint even if the other two leads weren't connected?

Last edited by Channel 2012; 02-19-2015 at 01:29 PM. Reason: had to switch to desktop view to edit the title and icon of my post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-19-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I triple checked them. Besides, if I'm seeing a picture at all, doesn't that indicate the successful connection of the Y (green)? And shouldn't I be seeing at least an image with a green tint even if the other two leads weren't connected?
Of the three component cables, the Y is not really the green in the picture, but all the luminosity information - red and blue (PrPb) carry the differences in color for that signal.

check to see that you haven't mixed colors (easy to do) on the plugs and jacks. For example, make sure you're not confusing blue and green and that you are using the red component and not the red audio plug/jack.

Edit: Wait, you are using all three component wires? You're not trying to plug a Composite (yellow video) output into a Component (green "Y") jack, correct?

old corps likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 02-19-2015 at 02:17 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-20-2015, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Post Clarification

Quote:
Of the three component cables, the Y is not really the green in the picture, but all the luminosity information - red and blue (PrPb) carry the differences in color for that signal.

check to see that you haven't mixed colors (easy to do) on the plugs and jacks. For example, make sure you're not confusing blue and green and that you are using the red component and not the red audio plug/jack.

Edit: Wait, you are using all three component wires? You're not trying to plug a Composite (yellow video) output into a Component (green "Y") jack, correct?

I appreciate the diagram, but believe me, I know the difference between component and composite and how to not plug the sound lead into the "Pr" port. Like I said, I have successfully plugged this in to numerous other televisions without issue. For the record, the set is actually recognizing 720p HD video as well from the Xbox (not Xbox 360), as is the other television that I have plugged it in to with no issues. It's only on this one Mitsubishi.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-20-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
I appreciate the diagram, but believe me, I know the difference between component and composite and how to not plug the sound lead into the "Pr" port. Like I said, I have successfully plugged this in to numerous other televisions without issue. For the record, the set is actually recognizing 720p HD video as well from the Xbox (not Xbox 360), as is the other television that I have plugged it in to with no issues. It's only on this one Mitsubishi.
Have you used all three conductors, inserted in the green jacks, to check for image? If you lose one, your color will be either wrong, or non-existent. Safe to assume the TV only has one Component input? Molded ends, or made for this installation?
post #7 of 8 Old 02-20-2015, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up Happy ending

Ah ha! I figured it out. Turns out, those monster cables grip the port extremely tightly, so while I thought I had them plugged in all the way, I indeed did not have them plugged in all the way. It worked easier on the other television because the ports weren't quite as tight as the Mitsubishi's. Guess it was user error all along.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-20-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah ha! I figured it out. Turns out, those monster cables grip the port extremely tightly, so while I thought I had them plugged in all the way, I indeed did not have them plugged in all the way. It worked easier on the other television because the ports weren't quite as tight as the Mitsubishi's. Guess it was user error all along.
That's what I asked you to check in my first post.

Quote:
I'm glad you got it straightened out. Have fun with it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page