Sony SXRD Five Red Blinks - Is it the Ballast? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 03-14-2016, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Exclamation Sony SXRD Five Red Blinks - Is it the Ballast?

Hello,

I have an 8 year-old 60" Sony SXRD (KDS-60A2020) that basically won't turn on any more.

I had just bought a new Phillips lamp in January, and one month later, as I was watching TV, the screen went black even though the audio continued. Once I turned off the TV and tried to turn it back on, it would blink green for about a minute as if it was trying to turn on. Then it turns itself off and has 5 red blinks, pause, 5 red blinks, pause, ... and so on. It has been doing that ever since.

My first instinct was a bad lamp, so I returned the lamp to the business I purchased it from. They tested the lamp and said it was good — nothing wrong with the lamp. So I called a local repairman to inspect my tv and he ended up bringing a new lamp — which also did not fire up.

He then spent about 2 hours trying to figure out what was wrong. He opened the back of the TV and I could even smell he was doing some soldering, but eventually he told me he could not figure out the problem and needed to go back to his office and do more research.

So I just finished doing my own quick research online, and I've seen some people point the 5 red blinks to a problem with the ballast. I've looked up Amazon and eBay so far and see that some people sell used ballasts, but I don't have much experience with this.

So my questions are:
  • Do the 5 red blinks mean the ballast has to be replaced?
  • Is this something I can/should do on my own?
  • Is it worth going through this procedure or just get a new TV?
Thank you and sorry for the long read — I just wanted to be thorough...

-Omar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
ballast , dlp , Sony , sxrd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page