Image problems on Samsung DLP 71" TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-02-2016, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Image problems on Samsung DLP 71" TV

I recently had the light ballast changed on my Samsung DLP 71" TV and I've been noticing an image problem since then that I think may be related. At first I thought this was only a streaming problem, but I've noticed this on blu rays I've seen before (that never had this problem) so this confirms that the problem is new and not just limited to streaming.

The problem is that under certain scene conditions, the color seems to jump from off white to a darker color with no realistic gradation. This is particularly noticeable on human faces. In other words, one part of the person's face is almost white, while another part is darker and it looks unnatural (almost like "blotches" on a person's face, though I don't want to overstate the effect because it's a bit more subtle). I'd like to emphasize that this affect is more noticeable in streaming and much less noticeable in blu-rays, but it's definitely there. I don't think the calibration settings were changed so I don't think it's mis-calibrated, though I could be wrong. It doesn't seem like a calibration issue as it seems more like a loss of "color resolution" (i.e. my own made up term meaning the ability for color changes across an entity to look natural). This doesn't only occur with faces, but it's most noticeable on faces.

Does anyone have any idea what this is, does this ring a bell with anyone or does my description not make sense? I'm going to try to post a screenshot as soon as possible in case this problem is more obscure than expected, but I was hoping that someone will say "that sounds like X and you need to change this setting or it could be this part is bad".

Thanks for any initial thoughts you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-05-2016, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomaget View Post
I recently had the light ballast changed on my Samsung DLP 71" TV and I've been noticing an image problem since then that I think may be related. At first I thought this was only a streaming problem, but I've noticed this on blu rays I've seen before (that never had this problem) so this confirms that the problem is new and not just limited to streaming.

The problem is that under certain scene conditions, the color seems to jump from off white to a darker color with no realistic gradation. This is particularly noticeable on human faces. In other words, one part of the person's face is almost white, while another part is darker and it looks unnatural (almost like "blotches" on a person's face, though I don't want to overstate the effect because it's a bit more subtle). I'd like to emphasize that this affect is more noticeable in streaming and much less noticeable in blu-rays, but it's definitely there. I don't think the calibration settings were changed so I don't think it's mis-calibrated, though I could be wrong. It doesn't seem like a calibration issue as it seems more like a loss of "color resolution" (i.e. my own made up term meaning the ability for color changes across an entity to look natural). This doesn't only occur with faces, but it's most noticeable on faces.

Does anyone have any idea what this is, does this ring a bell with anyone or does my description not make sense? I'm going to try to post a screenshot as soon as possible in case this problem is more obscure than expected, but I was hoping that someone will say "that sounds like X and you need to change this setting or it could be this part is bad".

Thanks for any initial thoughts you can provide.
I don't have an answer for a fix but, I came here with what sounds like the same thing you described.
I'm thinking that it's dithering and I'm not sure if it's some type of technology change in how the signals are being sent, or something is going out in my TV.
HLS5086 50" Samsung DLP
post #3 of 3 Old 08-06-2016, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Would you describe what you're seeing as the colors bleeding into each other? If so, this has to do with the timing of the color wheel. The timing is adjustable, but that's beyond my purview.

Can you post a shot of the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
dlp , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page