Mitsubishi WD -73738 peoblems - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-2016, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Mitsubishi WD -73738 peoblems

I have a Mitsubishi WD 73738 DLP television that I am having a problem with. If I turn off the tv, it will not come back on. I unplug it and when I plug it back in a few minutes later, I get the green light flashing quickly at me. I get sound but no picture. Other times, I get a yellow and red light that flashes. When this happens, I get nothing, no video or audio. I left it unplugged for a couple of days and then plugged it in to see what it would do. It came on and is currently working well. I have been just leaving it on all the time as I don't want to take the chance of it not coming on again. This has happened 3 times in the past month . One time I turned the TV off and the other two times it went off due to power outages during bad weather,

I looked at the manual and found that these lights are error codes. I have not counted the times flashing as I do not want to turn my television off and be without it again.

Another problem I have noticed is a pink splotch if there is a white background on the screen. It is not really noticeable on darker backgrounds

What could be wrong with my tv. Would replacing the chip fix these problems? I have been told that parts for this tv are no longer available from Mitsubishi. I go on eBay and find new chips for sale. I just don't know if a new chip would solve my problem. The tv is great when working so I don't want to buy another if this one can be repaired.

I have Directv and upgraded my protection plan recently to cover my televisions and computers. Directv promises that they will fix the tv or send me another brand new tv if they can't fix mine. I don't have a great deal of faith that Directv is going to fix my tv or send me a new one. It sounds too good to be true, especially from Directv. The first month was free and I can now file a claim which I will do later in the week. I just think Directv will find some reason to deny my claim even though they say I am covered.

I just talked with the person I bought it from and he says he can repair it. There are not many things that can go wrong. I am hoping I get a return call from him in the next day or so to schedule a time to come out and look at my tv.

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-12-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmitchelltx View Post
I have a Mitsubishi WD 73738 DLP television that I am having a problem with. If I turn off the tv, it will not come back on. I unplug it and when I plug it back in a few minutes later, I get the green light flashing quickly at me. I get sound but no picture. Other times, I get a yellow and red light that flashes. When this happens, I get nothing, no video or audio. I left it unplugged for a couple of days and then plugged it in to see what it would do. It came on and is currently working well. I have been just leaving it on all the time as I don't want to take the chance of it not coming on again. This has happened 3 times in the past month . One time I turned the TV off and the other two times it went off due to power outages during bad weather,

I looked at the manual and found that these lights are error codes. I have not counted the times flashing as I do not want to turn my television off and be without it again.

Another problem I have noticed is a pink splotch if there is a white background on the screen. It is not really noticeable on darker backgrounds

What could be wrong with my tv. Would replacing the chip fix these problems? I have been told that parts for this tv are no longer available from Mitsubishi. I go on eBay and find new chips for sale. I just don't know if a new chip would solve my problem. The tv is great when working so I don't want to buy another if this one can be repaired.

I have Directv and upgraded my protection plan recently to cover my televisions and computers. Directv promises that they will fix the tv or send me another brand new tv if they can't fix mine. I don't have a great deal of faith that Directv is going to fix my tv or send me a new one. It sounds too good to be true, especially from Directv. The first month was free and I can now file a claim which I will do later in the week. I just think Directv will find some reason to deny my claim even though they say I am covered.

I just talked with the person I bought it from and he says he can repair it. There are not many things that can go wrong. I am hoping I get a return call from him in the next day or so to schedule a time to come out and look at my tv.

Thank you!
Given the age, and it just "turning off" I think your bulb may be going. Mine did that periodically, until the bulb failed. The machine judges it as a dangerous input, and shuts off to protect the TV. I would consider buying a new OEM lamp, and replacing it. It worked for my 73838. If it doesn't do it, you can always return the lamp. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3NVMPN3PV14R5
post #3 of 4 Old 10-12-2016, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The man I bought the tv from used about a year and a half ago sells used tvs of this type on Craigslist. I contacted him as I saw a new posting selling DLP tvs again. He came out and said the color wheel was bad. He went and got one and a new lamp for my tv. He put those two parts in and plugged the tv in. Once again, it did not come on. He has now decided that the board with the ethernet connection is bad. The last time I talked to him, Friday of last week, he said he was going to order that board and it should be in later this week. I called him yesterday afternoon to remind him to order it. I got voice mail so I left a message. I am hoping that this man is honest and will do what he says he will do. At this point in time I do not know if that is the case. I can only hope. Do you know what the board that he is ordering is called?

I live out in the country on a dirt road so when he pulled the back off there was a great deal of dust. He said that the dirt getting in there and heating things up is what has caused the problem. This makes sense to me.

At this time I just hope he is not just parts changing and me buying parts that were not bad in the first place. At least if he does come through and this new board works I will essentially have a new tv. The only thing else he could replace would be the main board which he says never goes out.

I am just hoping that he gets it fixed this time. We will see I guess.

The Directv protection plan is a joke as I thought it probably would be. Dishonest sales people hard at work there!

Thank you for your input. If you know what that board is called, please let me know. Any other input that you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-08-2019, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmitchelltx View Post

Thank you!
Error codes.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...page=31#manual

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version