Confused about what to get - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-28-2003, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have been reading as many posts as i can from this section trying to come up with an informed decision. so far i have been able to decide i want a tv. now i need to decide what to get. basically ihave a 12x10 room that has no light entering it. so the wall with the main couch will be 10 feet away from the wall with the TV. i mainly watch dvd movies. i have ruled out plasma (although i was seriously considering the panasonic 42inch edtv... it seems to be small and good for dvds. also not that high of a price but i ruled it out) so that leaves rear crts or DLP. i was thinking about a TV in the 40-50" range. Now there is no limit on the amount of money i can spend on this as long as i feel i am getting something for my money.

pioneer elites seem to be popular on this forum but the 53" is $4000+ i think. I tend to lean towards a rear projection crt because they are cheap. when i walked into best buy just to browse they all seemed to be under $2000. however in the 10 mins i watched the DLP it seems to have alot better picture then the rear crts. if those were around $2000 i would of probably walked out of the store right then with one.

i guess what i am asking for is which models of rear crts should i look at?

i read the 8 page debate about dlp vs crt and didnt seem to come to any conclusion on which is better. i am kind of skeptical of DLP since it is a new technology and also i would think once they start getting mass produced by every company there price will be dropping dramatically. do those need to be calibrated ever? it seems if i bought a $2500 rear crt and got a $500 calibration it would almost be at the cost of the DLP. Plus i will have to move the TV by truck probably twice in the next year (one trip 140 miles or so and the other just a few blocks).

will other companies start making these soon?

Jeffrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-29-2003, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

so the draw backs of the DLP are cost more for what some say is not as a good picture

bad with regular cable but how about digital cable?

and some motion artifacts when things start moving fast?

but i dont need to calibrate it or atleast not a $500 calibration for it ever.

i think iam leaning towards this set. however in stores they cost alot more then the prices you can find online. i have always had problems trusting online companies.

jeffrey
post #3 of 3 Old 05-29-2003, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrcow6o
basically ihave a 12x10 room that has no light entering it. so the wall with the main couch will be 10 feet away from the wall with the TV. i mainly watch dvd movies
your situation is one where the main disadvantages of CRT rptvs do not apply. You can watch widescreen DVDs without using stretch modes or worrying about burn-in. And you don't need the extra brightness of DLP to overcome ambient sunlight.

My cable provider is Netflix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page