Hitachi 51F500 Tweaks - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 185 Old 09-24-2003, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
COLORG0 is in the ISF Mode menu option....about 50 settings down the list.
I believe if you get into the service menu, then hit the menu key a few times, you will get to some settings that start with RGBOUT0=0. Scroll down awhile and you will get to colorgo. Use right arrow to change it to 1, then push in the select knob to save the setting. Hit exit to get out of the menu.

pillguy
Houston, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 185 Old 09-24-2003, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pillguy
COLORG0 is in the ISF Mode menu option....about 50 settings down the list.
I believe if you get into the service menu, then hit the menu key a few times, you will get to some settings that start with RGBOUT0=0. Scroll down awhile and you will get to colorgo.
I have seen the RGBOUTO settings, I'll look again for the COLORG0.

Also, is there such a thing is "White Push?" I've heard the term "white crush," is that the same thing? What I'm seeing is extremely brights. I have contrast & brightness both set at 45%. The contrast looks good with everything, but whites are overpowering.
post #63 of 185 Old 09-24-2003, 07:28 PM

45% contrast is for most people too high. Unless you're room is extremely bright, which I doubt since your brightness is at 45, I would lower your contrast, this is what's causing those overpowering whites. As a reference, most of us Hitachi owners have contrast in the 20's, maybe low 30's and some go lower than 20 or even 10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 185 Old 09-24-2003, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by asap2006
45% contrast is for most people too high. Unless you're room is extremely bright, which I doubt since your brightness is at 45, I would lower your contrast, this is what's causing those overpowering whites. As a reference, most of us Hitachi owners have contrast in the 20's, maybe low 30's and some go lower than 20 or even 10.
Thanks. I had lowered it so far below factory defaults that I thought it might be getting too low. But it does look better with contrast in the low 30s. What are typical brightness settings?

Also, I did find the COLORG0 setting, and that seemed to help with the red push. I have my color setting down at 15%, and it still seems like I could stand to lower it some more. What are typical color settings?

Also, I know I can turn off SVM in the user menu, and I do that for the Movie mode, which I use for the DVD DVI input. Occasionally I think a little SVM might help with my SD Dish feed, but the Hitachi gives it too much. Is there an adjustment in the ISF menu to lower the amount of SVM, so if/when I want to select it on in the user menu, it's not so overwhelming?
post #65 of 185 Old 09-24-2003, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5267 Post(s)
Liked: 4794
Quote:
Originally posted by padreken
I take it that the adjustable values for VSM-GA in the SWX series correspond with the menu adjustable low-med-high VSM in the menu of the F & S series sets? I've noticed that using the low setting in my friends 51S500 adds a nice degree of clarity to HDTV broadcasts and DVD, and I'd like to be able to do that with my set as well.

These threads are incredibly helpful!
I have done just that in my FWX, set VSM-GAs to 1 to allow me to apply just a low level of edge enhancement.
post #66 of 185 Old 09-24-2003, 09:50 PM

I'll state this again. All the tweaks apply to FWX/UWX/SWX20b sets and later (with the exception of VSM being changed to edge enhancement in the S and later models). The ISF suffixes for the S and later series sets changed a bit. All the relevant info is at the beginning of this thread. Please read from the beginning so you don't miss anything.
post #67 of 185 Old 09-25-2003, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Also, I did find the COLORG0 setting, and that seemed to help with the red push. I have my color setting down at 15%, and it still seems like I could stand to lower it some more. What are typical color settings?
You will need to get a calibration disk to set color. Dropping the color that low will not actually help with your reds that much. In fact, it will likely make your other colors (blue mostly) look worse. You will need to set the reds in the SM...with R/B and RY settings...but you need a calibration DVD like AVIA or DVE. The new DVE is about $18....I use it and am happy with the cailbration I get as a result. Again...you really need to do a search for "hitachi" and "tweaks" to learn a bit more about these settings. If you will read Marc's first few posts in the "hitachi tweaks Q&A thread" (link below), you will see a link to Mfusick's hitachi tweaks thread...that will give you tons of useful info.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

pillguy
Houston, TX
post #68 of 185 Old 09-25-2003, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
I'll state this again. All the tweaks apply to FWX/UWX/SWX20b sets and later (with the exception of VSM being changed to edge enhancement in the S and later models). The ISF suffixes for the S and later series sets changed a bit. All the relevant info is at the beginning of this thread. Please read from the beginning so you don't miss anything.
Oops, I thought this was the Q&A thread. Should've been in the bed :p
post #69 of 185 Old 09-25-2003, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
Oops, I thought this was the Q&A thread. Should've been in the bed :p
It's alright:)

Most new owners really apreaciate the help and advice you offer.

Also- the time to organize tweaks into logical sense in threads.
post #70 of 185 Old 09-29-2003, 06:27 AM

A lot of valuable information, especially for a newbie like me, thanks!

I'm having a problem with my new s500, the picture is not very clear even with HD signal, especially the backgroud, have tried to reduce gosting in ISF, but haven't seen much improvement yet, just wondering if anybody can provide detail settings in ISF just for s500? Service menu?

Thanks a lot in advance.
post #71 of 185 Old 09-29-2003, 06:42 AM

Richard66,

Lots to read here
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1
There are many options for you to try to tweak your set. You could read the above and learn to do it yourself, or pay a professional ISF calibrator to make it shine (if you are willing to drop a few hundred dollars). If you go the ISF route, please post the calibrators you are looking at on the forum so the experts here can tell you yey or ney. You have come to the right place. The wealth of information here is incredible.

In just a month, I learned how to remove my screen and focus the guns, remove the glare screen, overscan adjustment, color adjustments in the color decoder, and much more. It is all here. I am very pleased with the outcome....and we have essentially the same set. I think you can be too.

pillguy
Houston, TX
post #72 of 185 Old 10-13-2003, 11:30 AM

Guys,

I have a panasonic DVD 65F which has progressive scan function, but after I connect it to my 51s500 through component cable and set up DVD with progressive scan enabled, how can the signal is still 480i but not 480p? the picture is not very good either.

Thanks for your help!
post #73 of 185 Old 10-14-2003, 07:27 AM

because you don't have the 480p setting turned on inside the DVD player menu....

You need to "enable" 480p; Factory default out of the box is 480i
post #74 of 185 Old 10-14-2003, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think some brands/models of TV's also have more than one set of component ins with one for HD and another for only 480i or maybe 480p you could have it plugged in to an input that only allows for 480i. It's kinda dumb, I'm not sure why they do that.

J.R.

Just like women, nobody said this was going to be cheap either...
post #75 of 185 Old 10-14-2003, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aud19
I think some brands/models of TV's also have more than one set of component ins with one for HD and another for only 480i or maybe 480p you could have it plugged in to an input that only allows for 480i. It's kinda dumb, I'm not sure why they do that.

J.R.
This is not the case for the hitachi.

Both component inputs will take 480i and 480p.
post #76 of 185 Old 10-14-2003, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry when I first read his post I thought he said his TV was a Panny.. not his DVD player...lol

Sorry

J.R.

post #77 of 185 Old 10-20-2003, 09:39 PM

Hitachi baby... Hitachi!
post #78 of 185 Old 10-21-2003, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, yes, I know.... I humbly appologize...lord only knows what went through my head there...lol

J.R.

By the way...just thought I'd mention how much I'm enjoying HITACHI 51F500 since doing the tweaks on here. Watched Lion King a week or so ago....WOW! :D

post #79 of 185 Old 11-04-2003, 11:35 AM

Liked: 12
Just wanted to thank all contributors for the wealth of info here and in the related threads, including the Q&A. Your submissions convinced me to go with the Hitachi so I picked the 51F500 and it was delivered over the weekend. I dropped the contrast and tried to get the service menu. Special thanks to whoever suggested to hold both Input and Power down till the menu appears. 30 tries while letting go of both buttons brought me back to AVS to look for another option. It was like striking gold to find the description to hold both down tilll the SM appears.

Once in, I changed COLORGO. This made a huge difference and it went from unwatchable to watchable. I then wrote down all of the original settings. I also did the lime green fix that was suggested. The manual convergence really helped too. I don't have AVIA, but I put in the colorbars on Video Essentials and adjusted the red and then the green. I also made the changes for ghosting.

By the time I got my cable guy out with my new box for HD, the picture looked pretty good. In fact the guy and his helper were in awe of the picture. They guy said he only does HD installs now and it was the best he had seen. I still have a lot to do and a lot to learn but I wanted to thank all for their help with this. Monday Night Football was incredible. Wow! Thanks to all!!!!

Red sky at night . . .
post #80 of 185 Old 11-20-2003, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've had my 51F500 for almost 2 months now and I love it! After many hours of reading this thread and the other Hitachi tweak threads, I then spent many hours applying these tweaks. I have done everything except manual focus (don't have time right now), removal of screen (have a feeling this could come back to bite me when we have kids) and grayscale (don't have any equip). My set looks great!! Thanks to everyone, esp Mfusick. Surprisingly my set wasn't that bad OOTB. I can notice a difference, but not a huge one. I'm still happy I did everything though.

tim
post #81 of 185 Old 02-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just wanted to add a couple things to this thread.

About the COLORG0 questions, it's under TA1360 in the menu. Press right on TA1360 and then scroll down.

Also, to add to Mfusick's directions for manual convergence, when you initialize the sensors at the end of the procedure, you press PIP CH. Which is called SURF on my 51S700 remote, I assume it's the same for the S500, too.

PIP CH = SURF, that threw me off for a little bit. :p

Matt

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
post #82 of 185 Old 02-21-2004, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigrig

Also, to add to Mfusick's directions for manual convergence, when you initialize the sensors at the end of the procedure, you press PIP CH. Which is called SURF on my 51S700 remote, I assume it's the same for the S500, too.

PIP CH = SURF, that threw me off for a little bit. :p

Yes. Older units called "info" the "status"

And SURF is also PIP CHANNEL.

If you HIT MENU key you can shut off the CRT not being used.

And I think the freeze button allows you a different kinds of control....

Coolest thing with new models S series is that the menu button also allows a transparent screen so you can use a convergence screen from AVIA or DVE.
post #83 of 185 Old 02-24-2004, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
"Help. I need service manual info to allow me to get my new Australian model 57†HD Hitachi rear pro (C57WD5000) working at its best. I contacted Hitachi Australia and requested a service manual. My request was flatly denied and I was told that there was no way they would supply anyone other then an authorised service agent with a service manual during the one year warranty life of the product. So I have no alternative but to ask for assistance from other Hitachi owners.
Even though my set is an Australian model and looks quite different to the US models, the features are very similar to the S500 model in the US and the menu structure also looks similar.

I need info on how to get into the service menu so I can correct a strong red push, reduce overscan, disable edge enhancement and do a manual convergance.

I am not a noobie, and have done all these adjustments to my previous Toshiba rear pro.
The Hitachi looks like it has a lot of potential for great performance although the default setup is wowfull. I just need to get it tweaked and I will be a happy camper.
So if anyone can give me some information, I would be very appreciative."

I posted this in the S500 owners thread but I thought it may be more appropriate here.

Since that post I have read this thread and tried to get into the service menu in the manner described but it does not work. On my set the power button on the TV is a push-push switch that disconnects the mains power from the set. It is not a touch switch to just make the TV turn on as with the remote. Does the S500 use a touch switch or a real power disconnect switch on the front of the set?

I also tried to get into the manual convergence screen buy stopping “magic focus†and pressing various buttons on the remote with no success.
If I press and hold the magic focus button I can get a "Centre Mode" with a small cross on the center of the screen or a "Static Mode" with a full size cross.
The "Recall" button on the remote will then give me a convergence grid and the "CHI/II†(mono/stereo) button will select which gun is adjusted but I cant find out how to move around the convergence grid. The 2,4,6,8 buttons don’t work.
Has anyone got any ideas.

Thanks,

Owen
post #84 of 185 Old 03-01-2004, 10:56 AM

Anyone have any recommendations on the start order for calibration of the Hitachi 57S500. I would prefer not to hunt and peck during calibration because I'm sure some adjustments affect others.

I like my PQ but want to make it the best it can be. The only thing I notice is maybe a little blurry so I think I should start with focus. If I focus should then do a convergence?

If OI do those 2 things what do I need to adjust after that.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Curtis
post #85 of 185 Old 03-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I'd do electrostatic and manual focus, then convergence. You can do the geometry during the convergence, too, if you're really ambitious.

Then get your brightness/contrast/color dialed in.

That's as far as I've got...I guess the last step is grayscale adjustment, which you need the professional equipment for.

Matt

post #86 of 185 Old 03-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
And I think the freeze button allows you a different kinds of control....
Oh yeah, I messed around with that the other night. The Freeze button will let you move around the entire grid. Or if you move cursor to a different point, it will let you move the entire line. Kinda cool, not really sure how useful it is...

Matt

post #87 of 185 Old 03-04-2004, 10:32 AM

Mfusick you should edit your post at the top of this forum to include the glare screen removal thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=320580
post #88 of 185 Old 03-05-2004, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigrig
Oh yeah, I messed around with that the other night. The Freeze button will let you move around the entire grid. Or if you move cursor to a different point, it will let you move the entire line. Kinda cool, not really sure how useful it is...

Matt
COOl:)
post #89 of 185 Old 03-05-2004, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vhagar
Mfusick you should edit your post at the top of this forum to include the glare screen removal thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=320580
Good idea:)

Have a moderator do it...
post #90 of 185 Old 06-15-2004, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the XXS500 have the same overscan adjustment knobs as seen in these pictures of the older Hitachi's? The service manual doesn't say anything about overscan.

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page