• 1 Post By kblackburn101
  • 2 Post By Ericglo

post #1 of 23 Old 10-31-2019, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Why crt went extinct?

I remember that they were once the most popular tv , why were they unable to keep manufacturing and upgrading the technology? It often looked more authentic to film.

I’m new to this so help me understand why good technology were killed off , especially when some were hdtv later on.

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-01-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 512
It went extinct because the entire TV ecosystem and infrastructure around it totally collapsed. Fixed pixel imaging with razor thin architecture allows consumer benefits that big bulky interlaced scan line CRT can't come close to matching IMO. Can you imagine what an 85" CRT would look like today? What it would weigh? Then pour in the myriad the floodgate of new imaging technologies that propel modern HDTV...HDR, DV, WCG, etc. Imagine all of that cost in CRT? How about the world of interconnectivity? Can you imagine a CRT mobile phone?...Tablet?...other devices? One can reasonably see all of those benefits and more in a 65"-85" OLED or QLED panel at a small fraction of CRT size and cost. There is literally zero market, outside of nostalgic niches like the one the OP mentioned (like 120p-420p gaming) that would benefit from a CRT. And modern CPU/GPU/rendering/Upscaling/emulation/digital broadcasting tech even renders that a moot point. I still love everything I always loved about a CRT display. And I still loathe everything I hated about a CRT set. That evolutionary horse has left the barn...and is galloping the plains of a long extinct display tech prehistory IMO.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-01-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackburn101 View Post
.... why good technology were killed off .....
Good tech is good only for as long as it does not stagnate.
And the CRT has stagnated.
It was very hard to go beyond 720i/720p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-01-2019, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Why crt went extinct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
It went extinct because the entire TV ecosystem and infrastructure around it totally collapsed. Fixed pixel imaging with razor thin architecture allows consumer benefits that big bulky interlaced scan line CRT can't come close to matching IMO. Can you imagine what an 85" CRT would look like today? What it would weigh? Then pour in the myriad the floodgate of new imaging technologies that propel modern HDTV...HDR, DV, WCG, etc. Imagine all of that cost in CRT? How about the world of interconnectivity? Can you imagine a CRT mobile phone?...Tablet?...other devices? One can reasonably see all of those benefits and more in a 65"-85" OLED or QLED panel at a small fraction of CRT size and cost. There is literally zero market, outside of nostalgic niches like the one the OP mentioned (like 120p-420p gaming) that would benefit from a CRT. And modern CPU/GPU/rendering/Upscaling/emulation/digital broadcasting tech even renders that a moot point. I still love everything I always loved about a CRT display. And I still loathe everything I hated about a CRT set. That evolutionary horse has left the barn...and is galloping the plains of a long extinct display tech prehistory IMO.

Yeah the problem was just the massive bulkiness right ?
Toward the end dlp and slim crt though were high definition. Probably capable of all of today’s TVs , what do you suggest for viewing dvds and old games on ? Maybe just one crt or is there something better? Look horrific on my 4k tv
Is qled Samsung’s excuse for not having oled tv ? Didn’t sharp claim the same thing in aqous or squid line ?
We’re prob better off crt died of aids right hah ?
Free the reptile aliens

Last edited by kblackburn101; 11-01-2019 at 12:53 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-01-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah the problem was just the massive bulkiness right ?
Toward the end dlp and slim crt though were high definition. Probably capable of all of today’s TVs , what do you suggest for viewing dvds and old games on ? Maybe just one crt or is there something better? Look horrific on my 4k tv
Is qled Samsung’s excuse for not having oled tv ? Didn’t sharp claim the same thing in aqous or squid line ?

Free the reptile aliens

I could never get past the "Rainbow Effect" with big screen DLP. And "slim" CRT was still a big, heavy, fatty to me. They had no market potential over 32". To be honest, I run my 420p DVDs and Laser discs normally though my beloved AVR (Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD) which upscales them just fine and outputs the signal in 1080p to my 65" 4k LG. To me they look massively improved over native 480i or 480p. Ditto with older games on any old console. I tend to prefer, the image quality in Sony & LG. I do not observe the conditions you mentioned in older tech content with Modern display tech. But I also have moved on to modern content that better exploits and showcases the formidable advantages of new Display tech, like Ultra HD...Xbox 1X...and others.
kblackburn101 likes this.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-01-2019, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I could never get past the "Rainbow Effect" with big screen DLP. And "slim" CRT was still a big, heavy, fatty to me. They had no market potential over 32". To be honest, I run my 420p DVDs and Laser discs normally though my beloved AVR (Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD) which upscales them just fine and outputs the signal in 1080p to my 65" 4k LG. To me they look massively improved over native 480i or 480p. Ditto with older games on any old console. I tend to prefer, the image quality in Sony & LG. I do not observe the conditions you mentioned in older tech content with Modern display tech. But I also have moved on to modern content that better exploits and showcases the formidable advantages of new Display tech, like Ultra HD...Xbox 1X...and others.
Ahh thanks for the information, maybe my tv just sucks or it’s the Blu-ray player . I tried PS3! And had the same issues .

So could the problem be my Blu-ray player is not upscaling them correctly ??
Plasma is not a crt tv but similar lot people say they have superior pictures to even the best oled tv and qleds but not as bright .

Free the reptile aliens
post #7 of 23 Old 11-01-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ahh thanks for the information, maybe my tv just sucks or it’s the Blu-ray player . I tried PS3! And had the same issues .

So could the problem be my Blu-ray player is not upscaling them correctly ??
Plasma is not a crt tv but similar lot people say they have superior pictures to even the best oled tv and qleds but not as bright .

Free the reptile aliens
It could be. But I doubt it. Many older LCD fixed pixel panels (and plasma) had problems rendering acceptable image quality when transmitted in "Native" display settings (especially settings below 480i). The Blu Ray player may be sending a 120, 240 or 480i signal in Native format (which typically caused the problem you described) if you don't change the settings to upconversion at the player level. However a high quality AVR like the HK 7550HD mentioned earlier is loaded with high quality video processors like Faroudjia and state of the art upscalers that allows you to rout & process the signal through the AVR for the upconversion & output via HDMI 'Out', in 1080p to the HDMI 'Input'. And then the HDTV (if 4k) can handle the incoming signal as native 1080p or upconvert it to 4k. I use this approach with all 1080p or lower resolution content from DVD, HDDVD, Blu Ray Laser Disc, and game consoles for excellent results. Even though I don't really upconvert past 1080p to 4k via the TV. I use pure 4k UHD BR sources direct for that.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-01-2019, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It could be. But I doubt it. Many older LCD fixed pixel panels (and plasma) had problems rendering acceptable image quality when transmitted in "Native" display settings (especially settings below 480i). The Blu Ray player may be sending a 120, 240 or 480i signal in Native format (which typically caused the problem you described) if you don't change the settings to upconversion at the player level. However a high quality AVR like the HK 7550HD mentioned earlier is loaded with high quality video processors like Faroudjia and state of the art upscalers that allows you to rout & process the signal through the AVR for the upconversion & output via HDMI 'Out', in 1080p to the HDMI 'Input'. And then the HDTV (if 4k) can handle the incoming signal as native 1080p or upconvert it to 4k. I use this approach with all 1080p or lower resolution content from DVD, HDDVD, Blu Ray Laser Disc, and game consoles for excellent results. Even though I don't really upconvert past 1080p to 4k via the TV. I use pure 4k UHD BR sources direct for that.

Should I try hooking DVD player to the onkyo 818 will it upscale to 1080? My Blu-ray must be hooked directly to the tv I think otherwise I don’t think 818 is 4k pass through?

Free the reptile aliens
post #9 of 23 Old 11-01-2019, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
You forgot to mention the power consumption issues and the space heater that an 85" CRT would be. "Go Bucky"
barrelbelly likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #10 of 23 Old 11-01-2019, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Why crt went extinct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
You forgot to mention the power consumption issues and the space heater that an 85" CRT would be. "Go Bucky"
I just wish someone would bring back affordable plasmas .
Yeah your right Crt had the longest run of any technology I guess it’s good there extinct except for vintage gamers . I had no idea they produced so much heat !!

We’re there crt over 42” I thought only projector TVs got 50”+ yeah no one could move a 85” crt impossible without a bobcat haha
Some ps1 games upcomvert on PS3 but I have no ps2 capability . Slim PS3 router WiFi’s broken

Free the reptile aliens

Last edited by kblackburn101; 11-01-2019 at 06:03 PM.
post #11 of 23 Old 11-01-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Should I try hooking DVD player to the onkyo 818 will it upscale to 1080? My Blu-ray must be hooked directly to the tv I think otherwise I don’t think 818 is 4k pass through?

Free the reptile aliens
I'm not familiar with the Onkyo 818 and whether it upconverts composite video, component video and svhs video and outputs as a 1080 signal via HDMI. My HK will do that, while rendering a vastly improved image structure via its Faroudjia processing. That's one of the reasons why I love that HK beast over all modern (and anemic IMO) avr's. As I said earlier I too run my BR 4kUHD player directly to my Big 4k LG. But I do run my Pannasonic 1080p BR player and Toshiba A35 HDDVD player through the HK AVR because of my large collection of both formats. And if I'm honest, I can barely tell any difference between 4kUHD direct compared to 1080p ported through the HK to the LG. They all look spectacular IMO.
post #12 of 23 Old 11-02-2019, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the Onkyo 818 and whether it upconverts composite video, component video and svhs video and outputs as a 1080 signal via HDMI. My HK will do that, while rendering a vastly improved image structure via its Faroudjia processing. That's one of the reasons why I love that HK beast over all modern (and anemic IMO) avr's. As I said earlier I too run my BR 4kUHD player directly to my Big 4k LG. But I do run my Pannasonic 1080p BR player and Toshiba A35 HDDVD player through the HK AVR because of my large collection of both formats. And if I'm honest, I can barely tell any difference between 4kUHD direct compared to 1080p ported through the HK to the LG. They all look spectacular IMO.
Does the tv itself up conversation the 1080?
My onkyo has the chip to improve video quality it’s on the box forgot its name it was $1400 mrsp or something I got it around $700 black friday .
Real shame they couldn’t make 4k Sony tv model I have better for older content. I’d say when you gotta go threw the pain of lifting a heavy crt tv 118 + pounds over bad video quality. I should had waited til I got a job and bought a plasma used failure .

Free the reptile aliens
post #13 of 23 Old 11-02-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does the tv itself up conversation the 1080?
Most...if not all...converts all signals to the native resolution of the display panel (within the display's conversion limitations). However, it is done automatically in the fixed pixel display panel. So it is important to know the panel's "Native Resolution" and which HD signals it will support. In the case of 4kUHD the native R is always 3840x2160. That means it will only display images at that 'fixed' resolution. However, all 4k panels will support & upscale a 1080p HD signal to its HD native resolution (2160p). I don't know of any that will upconvert a signal lower than 1080p. That's why I process all lower than Full HD resolution signals in my AVR...and output them direct to HDMI "Inputs" at 1080p. I also adjust the settings in the source device (Settings Menu) to 'Output' its highest setting level before routing it into the AVR. That is the cleanest signal path from Device-AVR-HDTV. Your images probably look awful because your HDTV is taking an unprocessed 120-240 or 480 signal straight from the source device (DVD player or lower res game device) and displaying it at native R 1080p or 2160p.
post #14 of 23 Old 11-03-2019, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Why crt went extinct?

Quote:
Most...if not all...converts all signals to the native resolution of the display panel (within the display's conversion limitations). However, it is done automatically in the fixed pixel display panel. So it is important to know the panel's "Native Resolution" and which HD signals it will support. In the case of 4kUHD the native R is always 3840x2160. That means it will only display images at that 'fixed' resolution. However, all 4k panels will support & upscale a 1080p HD signal to its HD native resolution (2160p). I don't know of any that will upconvert a signal lower than 1080p. That's why I process all lower than Full HD resolution signals in my AVR...and output them direct to HDMI "Inputs" at 1080p. I also adjust the settings in the source device (Settings Menu) to 'Output' its highest setting level before routing it into the AVR. That is the cleanest signal path from Device-AVR-HDTV. Your images probably look awful because your HDTV is taking an unprocessed 120-240 or 480 signal straight from the source device (DVD player or lower res game device) and displaying it at native R 1080p or 2160p.
Crt sheer depth and super heavy weight killed them , probably more expensive and higher technology involved then simple led tv . And not to mention all the toxic chemicals coming out of them in landfills .
Real shame they always end up in trash bins , instead of preserving ancient technology superior for older stuff .

Maybe had to adjust setting in onkyo menu ?

Free the reptile aliens

Last edited by kblackburn101; 11-03-2019 at 12:59 PM.
post #15 of 23 Old 11-06-2019, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Why crt went extinct?

Quote:

Look at the depth of this early hdtv and the weight must be incredible 500 pounds??
The tech killed itself not being able to innovate to a thinner smaller size !!
R.I.P. tube tube and projector TVs
They had good color rending and did not get blue lines in them like older led tv.
Sad times micro led will cost a fortune but it’s something to look foreword too .

Amazing the size of computer chips in these old things huge circuit boards all over in tube tv
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfa973 likes this.

Last edited by kblackburn101; 11-06-2019 at 02:01 PM.
post #16 of 23 Old 11-07-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3712 Post(s)
Liked: 2127
The correct answer has a couple of reasons. Remember there were direct view, rear projection and front projection CRTs.

First, as was mentioned, flat panels fell in price so drastically that CRTs couldn't compete. It was very fast during the end of the last decade. Most 6 packers cared more about size than picture quality, so flat panels won the day.

Second, CRT R&D decreased at the end of the 90s. Tubes themselves were pretty mature by that point. Unfortunately, chip tech also trailed off. HD resolutions were achievable with the tubes, but the lack of chips didn't allow manufacturers to go that high.

There were other reasons but those were the big ones.

I had a direct view 36" monitor that would 1024x768. It put out a really nice picture especially for the time (mid '00s). I also had multiple front projectors. Some of those could achieve 1080p and better. Unfortunately none would ever do 4k. My Barco 909 and Sony G90 still can put out a nice 1080p image if not that bright. The one thing digital has never achieved or not consistently at least is motion.

All that being said, my LG OLED runs rings around all my old displays. The on/off contrast is better than CRT, which was one of the big draws of that tech.
dfa973 and barrelbelly like this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #17 of 23 Old 11-10-2019, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Why crt went extinct?

What on earth format is this off tv mostly screen projector tv ??
Crt just could not get thin enough to compare higher contrast .
Plasma was superior to most of today’s tv except brightness except those went extinct just the same as crt and projector tv ???
What aspect ratios this usual massive tv screen ???

post #18 of 23 Old 11-11-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
What aspect ratios this usual massive tv screen ???
1.3:1 or 4:3 - standard TV aspect ratio.
post #19 of 23 Old 11-11-2019, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Why crt went extinct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
1.3:1 or 4:3 - standard TV aspect ratio.

Why do the tv keep trying getting thinner aspects ratios ? You know 16:9 had a way smaller surface area then 4.3
So a 50” 4:3 is closer to surface area of a 75” led or bigger .
Almost every movie has thick bars on it so my 55” led is more like a 43” In height after bars .
O well I guess widescreens must be bette tho be so popular , just a shame movie producers simply couldn’t stick to the superior 16:9 format .
Old tv were simply too thick and heavy , and massive to be practical it’s a wonder thinner tv weren’t invented like 49 years ago something. Our science cAn split the atom but cannot still make high definition led better then films .

The one advantage projector tv had was closer to what film originally looked like but oled are far superior then any old fat hdrvs or served.

Aren’t new oled suppposedly thin as a credit card ? Must break easily and be unfixable if any issues occur . Burn in prone ??

Last edited by kblackburn101; 11-11-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 11-15-2019, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

https://gizmodo.com/as-crt-supplies-...1792968855/amp

I see them on the curb the time biohazards

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna558701

post #21 of 23 Old 11-23-2019, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I just wish someone would bring back affordable plasmas .
Yeah your right Crt had the longest run of any technology I guess it’s good there extinct except for vintage gamers . I had no idea they produced so much heat !!

We’re there crt over 42” I thought only projector TVs got 50”+ yeah no one could move a 85” crt impossible without a bobcat haha
Some ps1 games upcomvert on PS3 but I have no ps2 capability . Slim PS3 router WiFi’s broken

Free the reptile aliens
There were some direct view CRT's up into the 60"'s, maybe low 70"'s, at one point in time. My family used to sale Zenith, RCA, and Sharp (and later LG). 27" CRT's were by far and away the most popular size for the average home, by a long shot(90's). I even only had a 27" up until 2004 when I finally moved to HD. We sold 36" models, as well, and they were heavy. It took two of us to safely move a tabletop 36" set. I couldn't imagine moving a direct view CRT that was 60" or bigger.

I don't miss CRT's in the least. Some may get nostalgic and wax poetically about them, but they can't touch today's OLED's(neither can Plasma) in sheer picture performance or any other aspect. And I say that as someone who has been working in television production for well over 20 years and has seen some of the best CRT's that money can buy.
post #22 of 23 Old 11-23-2019, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Aren’t new oled suppposedly thin as a credit card ? Must break easily and be unfixable if any issues occur . Burn in prone ??
One of my friends had one of his OLED field monitors(~7.7") break on him years ago. The actual panel detached from the chassis and swung away like a door(it was held on by some type of epoxy/adhesive) and it was literally as thin as a credit card(and these were touch screen panels, to boot). At the right angle, you almost could not see it. The top half of my B series(?) 55" LG OLED is only 1/8". Accidentally breaking it actually crossed my mind when I was hanging it, by myself.
post #23 of 23 Old 11-24-2019, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Why crt went extinct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
One of my friends had one of his OLED field monitors(~7.7") break on him years ago. The actual panel detached from the chassis and swung away like a door(it was held on by some type of epoxy/adhesive) and it was literally as thin as a credit card(and these were touch screen panels, to boot). At the right angle, you almost could not see it. The top half of my B series(?) 55" LG OLED is only 1/8". Accidentally breaking it actually crossed my mind when I was hanging it, by myself.
Wow so these things are so thin and frail got to a point we’re there too weak and break easily . Makes you wonder how cheap they are to make in china haha $70? For $2900 tv ?
What’s a dlp bulb cost are they worth the hassle? Some are light and can get them free often sometimes still got working bulb?
Crt were too bulky so died off , had longest run of any video technology.

Last edited by kblackburn101; 11-24-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page