Rear projection...compared to tube or plasma? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-27-2020, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rear projection...compared to tube or plasma?

Hi guys. Well, if all goes well, i'll be able to fix my panasonic plasma, that i love.
I was wondering though..how to rear projection tv's compare to tubes or plasmas?
I really like pana plasma's and sony wega tube tv's.
Is the image clear or blurry? Can it be viewed from different angles?
Thanks
Fab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-04-2020, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Post Technology Hierarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabchef View Post
Hi guys. Well, if all goes well, i'll be able to fix my panasonic plasma, that i love.
I was wondering though..how to rear projection tv's compare to tubes or plasmas?
I really like pana plasma's and sony wega tube tv's.
Is the image clear or blurry? Can it be viewed from different angles?
Thanks
Fab

It depends on the type of rear-projection. If we're talking HD CRT, then it's typically inferior. It's a good and inexpensive way to go HD, but heavy, poorly calibrated out of the box, (way too much overscan) and are getting to the point nearly 20 years later where the seals are failing and coolant is leaking. To answer your questions, viewing angles are about as narrow as any modern display technology (especially vertical range) and it's some of the softest HD you'll ever see.

Direct-view tubes are okay, but most of them are cheap/crappy standard-def sets. The "decent" ones (like the Sony FW900) command irrationally-high amounts of money and are still super small. As for standard-def sets, they're easy to find, but small in screen size, big in size/weight, and very blurry/icky/cheap, in most cases. Unless you need your NES Zapper (or third-party equivalent) to work, I'd avoid 480i CRT.

Plasma is like flattened CRT. It's heavy, power hungry, and ages poorly. The cheaper ones can't even handle a screenfull of video and will produce a dimmer image if too much picture goes on the screen, which, as it happens in real time, can be very distracting. I'd still take DLP rear projection over plasma, as it won't exhibit this effect. Power consumption will be comparable too, and the only thing you'd have to worry about is image cutoff.

TL;DR? Direct view LCD > (HD) CRT Direct View Computer Monitor > DLP RP > Plasma > (HD) CRT Direct View consumer television > (HD) CRT RP > LCD RP > 480i CRT Direct View > 480i CRT rear projection.

Last edited by Browningate; 04-04-2020 at 01:03 PM. Reason: adding title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page