QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #31 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The forthcoming Harmony 880 remote looks very cool - it's the one I am likely go go with. I just spoke to Logitech - it should be available in April. Meanwhile, I'm stuck with remote clutter and excessive button pushing - yuk!

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9933
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Originally posted by colortv
Squawks,

There is no comparison between the blacks of the 006 vs LCD RPTV's. SXRD blacks are vastly superior, but still not as good as CRT. Still, no current RPTV can match the blacks of SXRD.

Thank you for making that distinction!!

So many times people refer to CRT and I assume since we are in a RPTV forum that they are referring to RP-CRT!

L + L = R
post #33 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Originally posted by kaduku
I read someplace on the web that buyers of the 006 will receive a personal thank you letter from their cierge and special invitaions to Sony events. Any input from 006 owners on this?

I was wondering if SONY would be wanting feedback from you early adopters.
If so, please please please, even though you may be extremely happy with your purchase, also let them know any shortcomings you can!
This set seems like a giant leap, but let's get them to push the envelope!

(ie: removable protective screen, 1080p input, etc.)

L + L = R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you saying that SXRD technology gives better blacks than current top of the line RPTV CRTS, including the ones with 9 inch guns?

If true, I wasn't aware we had crossed into that stage yet. Wow.

Quote:

Squawks,

There is no comparison between the blacks of the 006 vs LCD RPTV's. SXRD blacks are vastly superior, but still not as good as CRT. Still, no current RPTV can match the blacks of SXRD.

rather be lucky than good.
post #35 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The forthcoming Harmony 880 remote looks very cool - it's the one I am likely go go with. I just spoke to Logitech - it should be available in April. Meanwhile, I'm stuck with remote clutter and excessive button pushing - yuk!

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9933

Thanks Colortv on the info on the Harmony 880. It does look cool and I want one too. I thought I could deal with so many remotes, but it is getting ridiculous. Also I didn't know programming this thing is so darn easy.

Laterz
post #36 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone hooked their set up to Time Warner Cable's HD feed yet? I'm curious to hear a report on the PQ. DirectTV hasn't received good reviews, so im hoping the cableco's signals run better with this set. Thanks
post #37 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Colortv , Kaduku, et al.

Check this link out for the Home Theater Master mx-700 and mx-800. I have the 800 (available now) and it is a great universal remote. The Harmony also is very good, but the HTM is considered more powerful (more features, etc. and it comes - the 800 version - with RF capabilities).

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx700/index13.htm

The bulb has a rated life of 2000 to 2500 hours. The set keeps track of the number of hours in the user menu. A Replacement is $300 and is not covered by the 3-year Qualia warranty, HOWEVER, I was told that if you purchase the set now, there is some sort of special program in effect that will cover the first bulb. It is a Sony part, and I don't know if you can purchase it, or a generic version, from anyone else. I was told by the Sony cierge that you can't get it elsewhere.
post #38 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

nhey,

Thanks also for the additional info. It's always good to know whats out there and to compare them with eachother.

Glad to hear that your unit will be delivered on Friday. My set is just across the bay (less than 35 miles), but they still have called me on a delivery date. I feel like renting a U-Haul and picking it up myself.

Laterz
post #39 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by nhey
Colortv , Kaduku, et al.

The bulb has a rated life of 2000 to 2500 hours. The set keeps track of the number of hours in the user menu. A Replacement is $300 and is not covered by the 3-year Qualia warranty, HOWEVER, I was told that if you purchase the set now, there is some sort of special program in effect that will cover the first bulb. It is a Sony part, and I don't know if you can purchase it, or a generic version, from anyone else. I was told by the Sony cierge that you can't get it elsewhere.

I talked to my cierge in LV. He did confirm to me that they will provide a replacment bulb for the 006 within the 3 year warranty period. He said that this is not part of the warranty and is a special promotion for the new owners. He did not know how long the promotion was for. He also said that the bulb should burn out within the 3 years under normal use based on his experience on the 004. I would just call and say that the bulb burnt out, even if it didn't before the 3 year anniversary. C'mon now, thats 300 bucks.

Laterz
post #40 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 12:34 PM

ColorTV, I'm sorry - I should have been more specific in my questions. I was more particularly interested in the SXRD's ability to avoid "black crush"...which is pretty prevalent among LCD RPTV's. I've managed to calibrate my set to avoid nearly all black crush but I still feel like there's room for improvement in my 55XS. Just wondering how much better the XSRD is faring in this issue.

There's too much blood in my alcohol system...
post #41 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 329
ColorTV,
Thanks for your comments but i Think I wasn'r clear on my question. What I would like to know is if we can record HD cable/satellite FROM the Sony firewire when we use a cable/satlellite box with or without firewire. In other words, when you feed a HDMI or component to the Sony , does the TV firewire outputs the signal?

Thanks again.

Sergio

I was so happy without HDR...
post #42 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 39
TWD states above that there was a possible reference somewhere to a 56" version. Any clarification?
post #43 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by slimoli
ColorTV,
Thanks for your comments but i Think I wasn'r clear on my question. What I would like to know is if we can record HD cable/satellite FROM the Sony firewire when we use a cable/satlellite box with or without firewire. In other words, when you feed a HDMI or component to the Sony, does the TV firewire outputs the signal?

Thanks again.

Sergio

No TV is going to output on firewire what it receives on HDMI or Component. That would require a built in MPEG encoder that can handle HD bitrates. It would also (in the case of HDMI) be in breach of licensing agreements.

It would be possible to output on firewire something input on firewire or recieved on the internal tuner. However, no previous Sony TV has done this, so I think it unlikely.
post #44 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by slimoli
ColorTV,
Thanks for your comments but i Think I wasn'r clear on my question. What I would like to know is if we can record HD cable/satellite FROM the Sony firewire when we use a cable/satlellite box with or without firewire. In other words, when you feed a HDMI or component to the Sony , does the TV firewire outputs the signal?

Thanks again.

Sergio

slimoli,

I'll check it out for you. Comcast installed HD cable for me but they are out of stock on the Motorola HD DVR. So for now I've only have their HD STB without DVR. Comcast only supplies component cables to connect to the TV, although the STB has a DMI output. I need to get the correct DVI-HDMI cable to connect the STB to my SXRD digitally. I'll let you know the results when I get everything hooked up. But it sounds like ADGrant has our answer. Comcast STB's have Firewire ports, so I intend to connect to the DVHS machine via Firewire from the STB.
post #45 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Squawks
ColorTV, I'm sorry - I should have been more specific in my questions. I was more particularly interested in the SXRD's ability to avoid "black crush"...which is pretty prevalent among LCD RPTV's. I've managed to calibrate my set to avoid nearly all black crush but I still feel like there's room for improvement in my 55XS. Just wondering how much better the XSRD is faring in this issue.

Squawks,

That's was I was referring to. Black crush on SXRD is much less severe than any LCD or LCOS RPTV I have seen. As for CRT RPTV's, I haven't researched them at all. But direct view CRT's are still the best when it comes to black crush/shadow detail.
post #46 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MotorMouth777
Can any of you illustrious gentlemen clairify a question I have. I saw a current 70 inch Sony XBR today and from 14 feet with my tape measure I could not make our any SDE. I brought my tape measure so I could be sure I was viewing things from the exact distance of my couch.

The question is will I see a significant picture difference from the Qualia 006 vs the 70 XBR at this distance. I would assume the Qualia has a "better" picture but what I need help with is there a real world difference for the extra $7,000 to my viewing experience.

At 14 feet can I even discerne 1080p vs 768p. I have never owned a HDTV and have been limping along with my 8 year old Mitsu 60 inch. This is a lot of money for me and I don't want to pay the extra $7,000 for a 5% incremental improvement. I WILL pay the extra if it is really that much better.

MotorMouth777,

I returned my 70 LCD XBR RPTV after having it for about 2 1/2 weeks. Don't get me wrong. This is a great tv for the price. I have about a 12 feet viewing distance. I, too bought the 006 sight unseen and hopefully will be playing with it by the end of the week. I'm pretty sure there will be a significant difference in PQ, by how much, I will know in a few days, since I got to really know the 70 LCD PQ during night and day situations. I don't know much on the technical mumbo jumbo, but at least I can tell you how the picture looks to me compared to the 70 LCD .

Laterz
post #47 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

I just received the long awaited call from NVC Logistics. They only deliver on weekdays, but made an exception for me on Saturday morning, since this is the only time I have available. They said that their boss is going to personally help deliver the 006 to my house. Now that's service!

Laterz
post #48 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 04:24 PM
jp2

Just a quick little picture to make everyone that bought this set feel a bit better. This is a snapshot of the HD version of Amazon. Its almost perfect. The HD version of this does not seem to have DD or DTS and its been a little trickey to get 5.1 sound to pass through the pc unless the source is encoded in DD or DTS. The picture is nice though!
LL
post #49 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jp2
Just a quick little picture to make everyone that bought this set feel a bit better. This is a snapshot of the HD version of Amazon. Its almost perfect. The HD version of this does not seem to have DD or DTS and its been a little trickey to get 5.1 sound to pass through the pc unless the source is encoded in DD or DTS. The picture is nice though!

Pls forgive my ignorance, what is this Amazon? Is it a dvd or something?

Laterz
post #50 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by kaduku
Pls forgive my ignorance, what is this Amazon? Is it a dvd or something?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...lm/amazon.aspx
post #51 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Ed Weinman
TWD states above that there was a possible reference somewhere to a 56" version. Any clarification?

No responses because this has been covered many times in the original thread. Sony has not announced any other RPTV with SXRD than the Qualia 006. No confirmed rumors, no comments from Sony reps, nothing else.

There WILL be smaller versions of this set, but probably not for at least 9 months to a year, or maybe longer. Maybe 2 years. Who knows, but I think Sony will be looking to replace LCD with SXRD in the long run.
post #52 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 05:50 PM

The child is lying on a single water lily leaf (Victoria Water Lily). These are grown here as annuals.
post #53 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

huh?

Laterz
post #54 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thanks Scott MS, I am aware of the original thread and have read/re-read it. I was just commenting on the TWD statement from above.

Smile!
post #55 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 100
JP2 -

I think the point you are making about the Amazon video is that the 006 can and does accept, and display a 1080p Windows media 9 video source from a PC. The photo indicates it is being shown in 1080p if you look in the lower left corner.

CORRECT???

You can download a clip in 1080p to your computer at this link, hook up your computer via DVI to HDMI to the 006 and test it yourself. I think this is what JP2 did. Note that it's 107 mb so you better have broadband.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...tShowcase.aspx

As per Microsoft's web site:
Optimum Configuration
(to play 1080p video with 5.1 surround sound)

Windows XP
Windows Media Player 10
DirectX 9.0
3.0 GHz processor or equivalent
512 MB of RAM
128 MB video card
1920 x 1440 screen resolution
24-bit 96 kHz multichannel sound card
5.1 surround sound speaker system

This is indeed very good news assuming HD-DVD or Blu-Ray ultimately have an option to output 1080p.
post #56 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 06:42 PM
jp2

nhey,
Not really. I was just commenting on how nice this dvd looked on the 006. I have a htpc that uses an nvidia graphics card that is connected to the tv from the cards dvi port. I use an adapter that converts dvi to hdmi (just a physical adapter.) The nvidia software allows me to configure for 1080i at 60Hz. The amazon wmv hd dvd has 2 options, 720p or 1080p. I think it looks at the pc's cpu, memory, card, etc and suggests which mode to run in. It chooses 1080p on my pc as you noted, but ultimately I think the graphics card will send it out the dvi port at 1080i which then goes into the hdmi port on the tv and processed to 1080p. I have not yet played with the nvidia settings enough yet to test the 1080p theory. There is someone in my town that has an 004 and knows a lot more about the nvidia settings than me and I will be consulting him on this. The net result is pretty stunning and I'm not sure how much better it can get (at least until someone decides to get one of the sony 4K projectors for their own home!)
post #57 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well guys, I'm still trying to get a properly functioning DVR box through my local cable company.

I'll tell you when you're accustomed to hunting elephants(the 006), there's nothing exciting about shooting partridges!(cable co. DVR's)

Adelphia will actually be sending out a supervisor in a few days after I went through a string of rookies.

I've got the 006 hooked up to a Panny -S975 DVD player. Sweeeeeet !

My audio system finally sounds correct after nearly going blind looking at that needle bounce around on the sound level meter.

The TV.well, I couldn't be happier !

When I have something more substantive to relate, I will do so for the more anally oriented.

In the meantime, in case anyone here missed it, Rogo hit 20,000 with this post .. https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=497981
In the plasma and LCD forum.and if you haven't had a chance to drop by to express your congrats.I beseech you to do so not simply for the prolific milestone but for his insights into the old original Sony thread of over 100 pages and his personal mission to the Sony booth on our behalf.

david M. - nice botanical brief. Who did you eventually buy from to procure your personal piece of Nirvana ?
post #58 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Jp2,If your still looking Enter the Matrix is in 1080I, and Soul Caliber 2 is in 720P.(XBOX)
post #59 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone try their XBOX on the 006 with Halo 2, with the high defination AV adapter?

Laterz
post #60 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
nhey,

How do you get to the user menu on the 006 where the total number of hours on the bulb is displayed?

Slimoli,

Although I have not personally tested it, many others have stated there is no output from the firewire jacks on the 006, you can only input.

Penton-Man,

Welcome to the Owner's Thread!

The rest of you,

I have not received any thank you letter from my cirege.

I was told by my cierge and a senior QUALIA marketing rep that the first replacement bulb was free (a small $300 offering to help soothe the sting of the $3,000 price increase). However, I never received any certificate or something in writing to this effect. I think QUALIA should just send out a replacement bulb now.

Finally, pbir posted a link in the original Sony 1080p thread to the Sony web site in Canada which is selling a Sony Grand Wega KDS70Q006 for $17,000 Canadian. It doesn't appear to have the QUALIA logo in the upper right hand corner of the set, but all the specs are the same and it highlights the SXRD technology, etc. This may be the unit Sony originally intended to sell before deciding to call it a QUALIA (at least here in the U.S.). Interesting. Also, the web site displays the accessories for sale, like the SUSX10 stand and the XL5000 replacement bulb. Additionally, under the specs it says, "New Glass Screen configuration."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page