QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #61 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's also interesting to see that Sony Style Canada is only offering a 12 month warranty on the 006, but does offer extended warranty coverage.

Laterz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 09:30 PM

Looks like they are out of stock on replacement bulbs too, Kaduku. I agree with jb, it would certainly be nice to have an extra bulb around, just in case.
sj
post #63 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
jb-
See the Limited Warranty loose page paragraph 1, sentence 5 for specifics on the replacement lamp specifics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 11:05 PM

First, I want to thank everyone here (and in the "Sony jumps on the 1080p bandwagon" thread). You've all been unbelievably helpful. I've been wanting to dive into 1080p and was originally thinking DLP (the Sammy HLR) but have been a bit quesy about the wobulation factor. I'm not rich enough to make a stupid decision here, since it'll probably have to last me the next 10 years, and the Q006 seems to offer what I need. (the high quality SD scalar is a big plus since HD source is going to be slim pickings for the next year or two).

I have a ton of questions, but the gating factor for me are the actual dimensions of the unit because it has to fit into a corner on a custom stand. On the Qualia web site, they state that the unit is 74x47x24. Could one of you who own one of these monsters please take out your tape measure and give me these measurements?

1) The actual width of the unit, both with and without speakers.

2) The width and height of the screen

3) The actual depth. (24" sounds a bit deeper than my impressions from the images I've seen)

4) Here's the critical one: I need to fit it into a corner, so I need to know the angle of the sides as they slope to the back of the unit. If you can measure the width of the back (assuming that the sides are of a constant slope and the back is centered), I can compute the angle of the side's slope. That said, the sides might not slope at a constant angle, and instead the unit may go straight back for a few inches, then cut in, and then slope back, etc etc. Ack! Without effectively building a template of the unit in cross section (along the vertical axis), I can't commit to buying it.

THANK YOU. I would be forever grateful.

Gary
post #65 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MotorMouth777

At 14 feet can I even discerne 1080p vs 768p?

IMHO, no.....unless you are Ted Williams who reportedly had a visual acuity of 20/15 or better.

I suggest you put that Sig down, and move the couch closer as Owen plans on doing.
post #66 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jp2
Just a quick little picture to make everyone that bought this set feel a bit better.

jp2- Honestly, I couldn't feel ANY better about this set.
Looking forward to your tweaks with the color analyzer.
post #67 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Scott MS
No responses because this has been covered many times in the original thread. Sony has not announced any other RPTV with SXRD than the Qualia 006. No confirmed rumors, no comments from Sony reps, nothing else.

There WILL be smaller versions of this set, but probably not for at least 9 months to a year, or maybe longer. Maybe 2 years. Who knows, but I think Sony will be looking to replace LCD with SXRD in the long run.

Scott MS did a nice synopsis as above of this contentious point; however, as a Cierge V.I.P. client, if my schedule allows, I hope to attend the Sony Design Center Launch Party in Santa Monica on Feb.7 looking for those elusive Qualia 006 displays that some have claimed would be re-badged as XBR's and sell for 11K in Feb. !!!!!!
post #68 of 17402 Old 01-19-2005, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Rogo-
Where are you?

Or since you are now a member of the Societe du 20K-
Ou etes-vous ????

Hop on this new thread and say something spa-cial!
post #69 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

Originally posted by jp2
nhey,
Not really. I was just commenting on how nice this dvd looked on the 006. I have a htpc that uses an nvidia graphics card that is connected to the tv from the cards dvi port. I use an adapter that converts dvi to hdmi (just a physical adapter.) The nvidia software allows me to configure for 1080i at 60Hz. The amazon wmv hd dvd has 2 options, 720p or 1080p. I think it looks at the pc's cpu, memory, card, etc and suggests which mode to run in. It chooses 1080p on my pc as you noted, but ultimately I think the graphics card will send it out the dvi port at 1080i which then goes into the hdmi port on the tv and processed to 1080p. I have not yet played with the nvidia settings enough yet to test the 1080p theory. There is someone in my town that has an 004 and knows a lot more about the nvidia settings than me and I will be consulting him on this. The net result is pretty stunning and I'm not sure how much better it can get (at least until someone decides to get one of the sony 4K projectors for their own home!)

JP2- did you specifically configure your NVIDIA card to output 1080i at 60 HZ? Why don't you simply configure the NVIDIA card to output 1080p and see if you get a picture on the 006?

Jb007 - My cierge in NY told me you can get the number of hours on the bulb from the user menu. I'll try to find out exactly where and post here. Isn't there something in the user manual about this? I don't have my set yet - T- minus about 28 hours and counting...

Someone mentioned that the 006 does not allow you to label channels - for example as "CNN" "MSNBC" etc. However, I think it does have "channel label". Could someone confirm that the 006 does allow you to label channels? How many characters are allowed in the label? All other current Sony models do allow this.
post #70 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Originally posted by nhey

Jb007 - My cierge in NY told me you can get the number of hours on the bulb from the user menu. I'll try to find out exactly where and post here. Isn't there something in the user manual about this? I don't have my set yet - T- minus about 28 hours and counting...

Someone mentioned that the 006 does not allow you to label channels - for example as "CNN" "MSNBC" etc. However, I think it does have "channel label". Could someone confirm that the 006 does allow you to label channels? How many characters are allowed in the label? All other current Sony models do allow this.

I don't believe there is any user accessible screen that displays the number of hours the set has been in use.

There are channel labels. The channel label function is only accessible when you have the input set to TV. There is room for five characters and the menu allows selection of upper case or lower case, plus some special characters. Interestingly, some of the digital channels will label themselves, with seven characters (i.e., KFMB HD).
post #71 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jb007
I don't believe there is any user accessible screen that displays the number of hours the set has been in use.

Agreed. I can't find one either.

Perhaps it is located in the Diagnostics category of the Applications menu - which is not selectable to us commoners.
post #72 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Just spoke again to the store in NY and they are going to check about the "bulb timer" with the folks in California and let me know.
post #73 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 09:37 AM
jp2

Hello Gary,
I took a couple of pictures and some measurements to try and answer your question # 4. Your other questions are answered by the official sony diagram of this set. The rear of the tv is appox. 32" wide because of the taper from front to back. If you were to try and place the tv into an enclosure and have the appox. 2-3" of the screen stick out, there needs to be appox. 20" to the back of the enclosure. As with most built in projects, you need to make sure that there is sufficient ventilation. You can pm me is my description is not clear. I have 2 pictures of this "taper" of the back of the set. One is attached to this msg and the 2nd one will follow.
brgds,
jp
LL
post #74 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 09:39 AM
jp2

2nd picture of rear taper.
LL
post #75 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 09:42 AM

quote:
"Scott MS did a nice synopsis as above of this contentious point; however, as a Cierge V.I.P. client, if my schedule allows, I hope to attend the Sony Design Center Launch Party in Santa Monica on Feb.7 looking for those elusive Qualia 006 displays that some have claimed would be re-badged as XBR's and sell for 11K in Feb. !!!!!!"

I don't think you will find any SXRD XBR displays at the Sony Design Center Launch Party in Santa Monica on Feb. 7. The model will be the
KDS-70Q006 that is being released to select Sony dealers.

You have the re-badging backwards. Actually the Qualia 006 was the
KDS70XBR100 originally on Sept. 9, 2004 when first shown at CEDIA 2004.
This was not some third party telling the world this but instead Sony telling the world that it was the KDS70XBR100. Why they pulled off the labels on
the XBR and re-badged it as a Qualia can only be speculated. Here is their own press release stating that the model was the KDS70XBR100.

Press Release:
http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/5420

Picture:
http://news.sel.sony.com/digitalimag...hoto_id=166536
post #76 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Semantics my dear AVSREADER -

Point is that some people on the old Sony thread were led to believe that the Qualia 006 would be released under a different name or model number in Feb. at 11K with the SAME features.

Therefore, this led to some parties delaying their purchasing decision.

The above speculation was later ??retracted ???clarified or spun into the fact that a 70 Sony at 11K would be released in February with *we don't exactly know what the differences will be from the Qualia 006* - which I believe at that point is like comparing apples to oranges.
post #77 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 10:26 AM

quote:

Point is that some people on the old Sony thread were led to believe that the Qualia 006 would be released under a different name or model number in Feb. at 11K with the SAME features.

Therefore, this led to some parties delaying their purchasing decision.

The above speculation was later ??retracted ???clarified or spun into the fact that a 70 Sony at 11K would be released in February with *we don't exactly know what the differences will be from the Qualia 006* - which I believe at that point is like comparing apples to oranges."

OK
post #78 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Penton Man

Ted williams may well have had 20/15 vision. I've been at 20/10 since I was a kid (and yes I still am, I get my eyes checked every year, always freaks the doctors a bit) So It makes me incredibly happy to know that 1080p is finally here and that your viewing experience is as enjoyable as it sounds.

TC-P50G10, Klipsch KG-4, Klipsch Architectural Refrence 5000 series speakers, Onkyo TX-NR636, BDT-210

Optoma HD79, RX-V2090, HTPC,RX-V867
post #79 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 12:43 PM

For those Canadians who do not want to go all the way to New York or Vegas to see this tv...

The flagship Sony Store in the Toronto (Toronto Eaton Center) has a Qualia 006 with the stand on display in the back. It is labeled Qualia Grand Wega.

As mentioned in another post it is retailing for $17K.
post #80 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Greetings! I saw the 006 in NY yesterday and it looked great, just like all of you said it would UNREAL on the blu-ray, great on DVD and SD was, well, SD -- GIGO. The cierge didn't really know beans, and interestingly, the "menu" button on the remote didn't work so I couldn't play with the settings like I wanted to. I spent an hour in there.

I do not really like the stand, and frankly, that's what's going to hold me up. The Chicane is lovely but doesn't fit my decor. The $9800 Donghia stand holding the XBR 70 LCD would fit but is too danged expensive, so I continue my search.

I did confirm that the NY store will allow you to purchase the set via the Sony Style card with the 18 month payment window, which they had to run up the flagpole for me.

The set is deeper than it looks, and that creates another decorating issue for me. So the cosmetics may define my final decision. I won't be around for the Super Bowl, so I have a little time. And, I really need to have a decorating solution that works to sell the spousal unit on this one.

I did see the 65-inch Panny plasma at a Tweeter as well, and that looks great from my 13 foot viewing distance too.

I couldn't see any SDE on the 006. Not even right up close and personal.
This is an amazing piece of technology, that's for sure.

Too bad the Sony folks really don't know jack about what they are selling!

I am sold on the display itself, though. It is really something.

Cheers
post #81 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
Something "spa-cial"?

I am helping my friend get some landscaping down and the new Jacuzzi is ready, pending an electrical hookup.

Is that "spa-cial" enough?

As for other comments, right now, I dunno what to say Penton. Sounds like this product is a hit, though.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #82 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rogo

As for other comments, right now, I dunno what to say Penton. Sounds like this product is a hit, though.

O.K.

How about this - See my last paragraph.

Folks, I finally got a lead tech to come out and set up my cable boxes and splitters with proper signal strength so I could actually enjoy my 006 for an hour or more without cable woes.

As I am an Adelphia subscriber, I wanted two boxes. One is simply the Hi-Def Moto 6200 hooked up via DVI-HDMI cable to watch live TV.

The other box I have is the Adephia DVR or Moxi box to do my Hi-Def recordings.
(hooked up via component as the DVI is not yet activated)

The reason I went this route was because this first generation Moxi does not allow native pass-through of the signal (which the 6200 does allow);therefore, analog and regulare digital channels absolutely suck on ANY tv. I even think that the Hi-Def channels look like they have slightly less PQ with the Moxi compared to the 6200 but, I'm willing to sometimes sacrifice that for the potential to record. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that the Moxi essentially records everything and by doing so the signal goes through some stuff in the Moxi that isn't in the regular 6200 Hi-Def box. I really don't have the moxi to comment further on this..perhaps the Moxi brainiacs can elaborate more.

Anyway, at least for the immediate nocturnal short term, I plan to become a serious couch potatoe (Quayle on the Qualia ?) that is unless Comcast or Time Warner or somebody else buys Adelphia and throws a wrench in my STB set-up. On the other hand, if Charter should buy it, I imagine things would stay status quo as I believe he is also chairman of Digeo (the Moxi unit). Monsieur Rogue, have you heard anything in the wind about Adelphia's futureor at least the L.A. divison ?
post #83 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rogo

I am helping my friend get some landscaping down and the new Jacuzzi is ready, pending an electrical hookup.

Is that "spa-cial" enough?

P.S.
I got all that stuff accomplished just before the Qualia bird arrived.
Nothing is much worse for the back than digging holes in the ground for plants and such.

Come to think of it, my wife was so impressed with the job that THAT may have accounted for her approval of the 3K price increase in allowing this poor soul to enter video nirvana !
post #84 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

With regards to the stand, you know Joel, I really don't find it to be THAT bad.

I would have loved to have gotten colortv's or casey's stands; however, that dog would just not hunt with the boss of the house after the unexpected 3K price increase.

Also, as an upside, I like the way it locks the bottom of the TV in place for those of us in earthquake country. Plus all my present components fit just fine....barely.
post #85 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Comcast installed HD cable at my place yesterday. No DVR, although I ordered it. They claim a "several week backlog" on the Motorola 6412 HD DVR's they use (with a puny 120 gig hard drive). My installer "found" a DVR for me after we had a nice "handshake," so I'll be getting one in a few hours. For the most part, the HD channels such as Discovery HD and InHD look awesome. I never imagined I would be glued to a TV watching a dog show at 1 am, but the one on Discovery was magic. The picture on the Qualia 006 is so stunning and realistic that viewers can't help but have a very different connection with the programs we are watching. It's simply engrossing, a feeling I never got from many hours of evaluating other HDTV's during the last year. With SXRD, it's as if the electronic veil has been lifted - there is nothing between the viewer and the flawless image. That may sound a bit silly, but when you see one of these babies, you'll get it!

I compared a PBS HD show between my OTA antenna and Comcast HD. While the Comcast image looked quite good, I noticed severe tiling on every dissolve - a sure sign of heavy compression. The OTA signal of the same broadcast was clean as a whistle - no tiling on dissolves. I only saw tiling on my HD locals via Comcast, but I haven't had time to more closely evaluate and compare other HD cable channels. I didn't see any tiling on the dog show on Discovery HD, and there were plenty of dissolves and video effects that would have inspired compression artifacts. Maybe I'm overly critical, but the SXRD is so clean that you will more easily notice video flaws.

In a previous post someone mentioned that the Firewire ports on the Qualia 006 are inputs only and do not pass video out...that has not been my experience. Here is a photo of my setup taken this morning of an HD recording of The Tonight Show recorded FROM one of the Qualia 006's iLink ports TO my JVC 40000 DVHS machine, and played back via iLink to the TV.
LL
post #86 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 03:16 PM

Does that mean that the Firewire outputs a digital signal? That would seem to contradict the whole point of having 'security' as in HDCP for HDMI, where users can extract digital 'copies' of programs of high quality (better than DVDs in which you can buy in the stores).

There's too much blood in my alcohol system...
post #87 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 99
ColorTv, you should be in marketing! You are going to end up selling more of these sets, sight-unseen than anyone at Sony could have imagined!
They need to give you some kind of kick-back!

"With SXRD, it's as if the electronic veil has been lifted - there is nothing between the viewer and the flawless image."

I'm getting chills!

L + L = R
post #88 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 39
ColorTV, you wordage is very similar to reviews of certain audiophile equipment which exhibit the same feeling: "...as if the...veil has been lifted - there is nothing between (in this case) the listener and the sound being reproduced."

This type of description makes many an audiophile's blood run hot!
post #89 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 03:59 PM

ColorTv,

Something I been wanting to ask you now that you had time to evaluate the 006, and thanks for the review, how does it compare to the monitors you use at work just in PQ alone?

sj
post #90 of 17402 Old 01-20-2005, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Color-
I also saw no tiling (Adelphia cable as above) during the dog show (was a bit miffed that the Toy Poodle won over the Pomeranian in that class) nor did I see any tiling on ANY of the local HD locals, Yeah Adelphia !

Folks, colortv is absolutely correct. HD channels appear superb with the 006(and we still haven't reached the Blu-ray era). When you're watching a football game you really feel like you are actually sitting in the stands or more appropriately have a sideline pass and are standing with the players on the fifty yard line looking at the game.

And with shows like CSI, NCIS - you feel like you are not watching TV but rather that the characters are nearly in your home theatre room!

It's simply just incredible.

For me, I had an extra bonus in the fact that my father lives with us and suffers from severe glaucomatous changes in both eyes which never really made him a TV watcher - which was sad as he is an old school sports fan.

When we got the 006 and watched the Pittsburg game that was on last Saturday, he was simply mesmerized with the picture (seating distance is 9 ½ feet for the first row and several feet back for the second) and would not even get up to go to the bathroom- and he suffers from bladder frequency to boot !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page