QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 581 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #17401 of 17423 Old 09-21-2019, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesirjay View Post
I am interested in how the tale ended. Did the Q keep its perch with new ownership?
I've still got my Qualia 006 purchased in 2006. I still use it for playback of SACD's. Still no blob after the 2nd optical block was replaced several years ago.

The 006 now sits flush in a wall behind two (2) flush-mounted ceiling projection screens, a 120" diagonal Screen Innovations Slate 16:9 1.2 ALR for daytime or some lights on viewing and a 153" diagonal Stewart StudioTek 130 240:1scope screen for serious movie watching in bat-cave darkness, both receiving images from my JVC RS3000 projector coupled with a Panamorph Paladin DCR lens and a Lumagen Radiance Pro and lots of other gear recently calibrated by Kris Deering.

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17402 of 17423 Old 09-21-2019, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
I've still got my Qualia 006 purchased in 2006. I still use it for playback of SACD's. Still no blob after the 2nd optical block was replaced several years ago.

The 006 now sits flush in a wall behind two (2) flush-mounted ceiling projection screens, a 120" diagonal Screen Innovations Slate 16:9 1.2 ALR for daytime or some lights on viewing and a 153" diagonal Stewart StudioTek 130 240:1scope screen for serious movie watching in bat-cave darkness, both receiving images from my JVC RS3000 projector coupled with a Panamorph Paladin DCR lens and a Lumagen Radiance Pro and lots of other gear recently calibrated by Kris Deering.
Wow - now that is a setup. Breaking the 10' mark is something I have to try someday.
post #17403 of 17423 Old 10-10-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thumbs up

Quote:
Given the performance and other aspects of the Q006 I would have to say sadly that selling it is likely to be an issue for any real amount of money. When you say light engines a part of me is quite curious. Are you saying you have extras of the part that causes the green screen of death? If only you lived locally as a Q enthusiast I would be tempted - mine still gets reasonably regular use but considering it is seen with through green-colored blobness it really isn't a great experience. I am keeping it alive until I have used the last of my lamps (which I may be already on haven't gone box diving in a while to check). Given the size and 1080i I just can't see anyone wanting to buy it unless it came with the house . I would say if you had to put a value on it - hard to imagine more than a few hundred dollars. Just too large, picture quality isn't high enough, takes too much energy and gives off too much heat to be 1k+ anymore.

Assuming you do have the insanely expensive light engines sadly the cost to have one installed is probably more than the worth of the tv at this point I would think (it was a multihour job requiring quite a bit of expertise as I remember from my replacement). If only that was a do it yourself scenario would be cool to see a Q in all of its original glory again.
Yes, I'm curious as well. Did brt3 keep/sell it with the house or did the new owner get rid of it? Hope all is well with the fellow Qualians!

14 years last month (Sept. 2005), I got mine delivered from the Vegas store. I remember Gael the Sony Q store concierge was great to work with made sure it all went smoothly. Found the thread in very early 2005 when you pioneers took the plunge and I couldn't wait to join in!

Thank you to everyone on this thread over the years for all their willingness to help and provide useful information to make this experience top notch.

C-Dub006
XBR75X940C, XBR60LX900, PDP5020FD, 3 other Sony LCD's
Polk, Infinity with Velodyne subs
3808ci, 3805
DP-UB420, BDT-101ci, HD-XA2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17404 of 17423 Old 01-02-2020, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Happy New Year all. I know I am hoping to start seeing VR take over many of the entertainment applications soon. Once you get good enough optics only a fraction of an inch from the eye that should revolutionize a lot of the options for us (not to mention handling the light control aspects optimally).

Also, my Q still sees use as a kids' game machine mostly. Sadly the blob is now the dominant force but as it is evenly over the screen and I have adjusted the color to compensate a bit they don't seem to mind. Once I finally finish out the last lamp though looking for more will probably seem silly and its long life may come to an end.
post #17405 of 17423 Old 01-02-2020, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This thread is now only a few weeks short of being 15 years old!! How many similar threads are there with this staying power?

Happy New Year (former) Qualians! May 2020 bring us all health, happiness, peace and new technology.

jb007
SXRDISBEST likes this.
post #17406 of 17423 Old 01-05-2020, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazing lifespan for a thread!

Mine is still being used as the main TV, but its days are numbered. The blob has become quite apparent over the past 6 months. Currently looking for a haul-away service as Best Buy doesn't take TVs over 100# or 55" which is pretty ridiculous. Replacement looks like it will be a Samsung QN82Q90.
post #17407 of 17423 Old 01-08-2020, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb007 View Post
This thread is now only a few weeks short of being 15 years old!! How many similar threads are there with this staying power?

Happy New Year (former) Qualians! May 2020 bring us all health, happiness, peace and new technology.

jb007
It's absolutely amazing that you guys have kept this thread alive! I think the 2005-2010 era for tv tech was the best. Things were changing so fast! We were seeing these amazing products come out all the time and the jump from SD to HD made it all very exciting. I don't really get that excited for new products because they're all such tiny incremental changes.

I haven't owned an SXRD product in a while (ever since selling my 60" A2000). But I continue the LCOS legacy with my old JVC RS45 projector that is still an absolute pleasure to watch.

Side note, has anyone tried using those huge commercial sony 4k projectors from around 2007-2010 that were like $100k? I think you can get them for around 3-5k used now. That would be some good fun!
post #17408 of 17423 Old 01-11-2020, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRDISBEST View Post
It's absolutely amazing that you guys have kept this thread alive! I think the 2005-2010 era for tv tech was the best. Things were changing so fast! We were seeing these amazing products come out all the time and the jump from SD to HD made it all very exciting. I don't really get that excited for new products because they're all such tiny incremental changes.

I haven't owned an SXRD product in a while (ever since selling my 60" A2000). But I continue the LCOS legacy with my old JVC RS45 projector that is still an absolute pleasure to watch.

Side note, has anyone tried using those huge commercial sony 4k projectors from around 2007-2010 that were like $100k? I think you can get them for around 3-5k used now. That would be some good fun!
My Qualia 006 is still in place without the blob 15 years later.

It sits in a dedicated wall cavity I built originally so it would resemble a flat screen TV. I've since added two (2) ceiling-mounted screens in front of it for use with a projector, but when both screens are concealed in the ceiling, the Qualia still looks good in my media room. and now the Qualia is used only to facilitate listening to 200+/- SACD's and 200+/- DVD's never replaced with Blu-ray or 4K discs from my legacy-cabled (component cables) SONY CX-777ES jukebox

(I dd replace the light engine under warranty in 2012 and I received the free 65" TV from SONY, which I sold new in the box.)

Will the last person visiting this thread, please turn out the lights

Chris
SXRDISBEST likes this.

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
post #17409 of 17423 Old 01-12-2020, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
My Qualia 006 is still in place without the blob 15 years later.

It sits in a dedicated wall cavity I built originally so it would resemble a flat screen TV. I've since added two (2) ceiling-mounted screens in front of it for use with a projector, but when both screens are concealed in the ceiling, the Qualia still looks good in my media room. and now the Qualia is used only to facilitate listening to 200+/- SACD's and 200+/- DVD's never replaced with Blu-ray or 4K discs from my legacy-cabled (component cables) SONY CX-777ES jukebox

(I dd replace the light engine under warranty in 2012 and I received the free 65" TV from SONY, which I sold new in the box.)

Will the last person visiting this thread, please turn out the lights

Chris

Sony gave you a free tv because of the 006 light engine failure??

Turning the lights out......now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #17410 of 17423 Old 01-31-2020, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
Amazing lifespan for a thread!

Mine is still being used as the main TV, but its days are numbered. The blob has become quite apparent over the past 6 months. Currently looking for a haul-away service as Best Buy doesn't take TVs over 100# or 55" which is pretty ridiculous. Replacement looks like it will be a Samsung QN82Q90.
Ah sorry to hear you are in blobville as well and even more sorry to hear Best Buy isn't an option for haul-away. You can limit the impact a bit by hitting settings if it is really big but yes as a main tv that would be too annoying I fear. Hopefully, you aren't stocked up on years of lamps (I know for me having lamps made parting with the Q hard just seemed a waste). I don't know how many lamps I have left I think I may be on my last but diving through all those boxes seems like too much work to check. When I hear a pop then it will be sudden death overtime for it as I check my stock.
post #17411 of 17423 Old 01-31-2020, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRDISBEST View Post
Sony gave you a free tv because of the 006 light engine failure??

Turning the lights out......now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I had to pay like $400 dollars for mine (something about unavoidable charges) but at the time the retail was like 6k so definitely not a loss. Both TVs still get some use but I definitely didn't have Cargen's luck as the original optical block blobbed as did the replacement (which has now become more of a green swamp which I counter a bit with settings). I hope to keep hearing some tales of success and experiment (and interestingly enough the continued lives of our Qs for some of us).
post #17412 of 17423 Old 02-04-2020, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Ah sorry to hear you are in blobville as well and even more sorry to hear Best Buy isn't an option for haul-away.
Yeah, BB's haul-away is virtually useless. I did find a junk hauling company who came to the house and loaded it on their truck for $50. So that wasn't too painful. More painful to see it go, even knowing it was well past its prime.

Quote:
You can limit the impact a bit by hitting settings if it is really big but yes as a main tv that would be too annoying I fear. Hopefully, you aren't stocked up on years of lamps (I know for me having lamps made parting with the Q hard just seemed a waste). I don't know how many lamps I have left I think I may be on my last but diving through all those boxes seems like too much work to check. When I hear a pop then it will be sudden death overtime for it as I check my stock.
Yep, I did work on the settings for a while. I've got an X-Rite i1 Display Pro that I used to adjust the white balance. I pegged out just about all of the settings and it was still poking outside the triangle. I wish I would have captured a screenshot to show how bad it was when I started. By the time I was done, it wasn't too bad, but the detail was lacking in the darker colors, and the colors just weren't right. I completely ran out of blue to be able to pull it in.

I did replace it with a Samsung QN82Q90RA, and that is a fantastic set. After years of the so-so contrast of the Q006, it is really stunning to see the deep, inky blacks on this one. Had about 30 people over for the Superb Owl watch party (in "4K") and it really did look great. So the king is dead, long live the king!
post #17413 of 17423 Old 02-04-2020, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

You definitely gave it a long run and did all you could to keep it standing. It was all that it could ask. I know the new world of TV is much different but it was definitely King for its day.
post #17414 of 17423 Old 03-19-2020, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone, I have some questions about this tv and I wonder if people here who have had it for a long time can help me out.

I'd like to connect it to a laptop through the HDMI port. It seems to connect fine, but there is overscan, which I can't eliminate from the tv settings. Anyone knows how to remove it?

Also, if I do connect it, will it be 1080p or 1080i? If a file on my laptop is a 1080p24fps movie, how will it play? Should any other settings be changed?

Is there a better way to connect it to a laptop, rather than through HDMI?

Thank you for your attention!
post #17415 of 17423 Old 03-19-2020, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowoel View Post
Hello everyone, I have some questions about this tv and I wonder if people here who have had it for a long time can help me out.

I'd like to connect it to a laptop through the HDMI port. It seems to connect fine, but there is overscan, which I can't eliminate from the tv settings. Anyone knows how to remove it?

Also, if I do connect it, will it be 1080p or 1080i? If a file on my laptop is a 1080p24fps movie, how will it play? Should any other settings be changed?

Is there a better way to connect it to a laptop, rather than through HDMI?

Thank you for your attention!
TV wasn't really designed to be used as a computer monitor, so I don't know about overscan issues, but there may be a setting for it in the service menu. 1080p is not supported by the Q006.
post #17416 of 17423 Old 03-19-2020, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you. Do you know about how to access the service menu, and how to use it? All the links I found are dead.
post #17417 of 17423 Old 03-25-2020, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Excellent time to check in with old online friends . I hope everyone’s in good health. COVID-19 has hit my sister-in-law who’s sedated and on ventilator in a Chicago area hospital; otherwise, the remainder of my immediate and distant family remain untouched. As to my 006, that TV bit the dust a few years back but you know the KDS 70XBR2 which was the more economical version of the Qualia 006 and came out a short time later, well, I got one of those too back in the day and that RPTV with its original optical block is still going strong in the place we keep up in Big Bear, albeit it didn’t/doesn’t get nearly the amount of ‘on’ time as compared to our primary domicile as when we're up there we're constantly outdoors, except for dining or sleeping time....little TV watching.

Again, hope everyone’s doing o.k. Right around this time, years ago, I was having lunch with a fellow Qualian (‘stew’) from Chicago before going on his way over to the Long Beach Grand Prix, which I couldn’t attend with him due to prior obligations.

My, how times have changed.
post #17418 of 17423 Old 04-04-2020, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Arrow The only solution is thankfulness

Quote:

You don't. The image is being projected off the screen slightly, as it would be impossible to achieve perfect edge-to-edge calibration from the factory. Just live with it and be glad that you don't have to deal with the horrifying 5%+ image cutoff of inferior CRT rear projection products from that time period.
post #17419 of 17423 Old 04-06-2020, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you. Do you know about how to access the service menu, and how to use it? All the links I found are dead.
It's cool to see this thread still going after all these years. While display technology has been getting better, I've never felt excitement quite like getting the Q006 back in the day. It was fun.

@jowoel - If recall correctly, you can adjust over scan in the service menu as jb007 mentioned. This issue was resolved for me by a Sony tech as I was also using an HTPC with the Q006. Here is the link to the service manual:

https://servicemanuals.us/sony/tv/kd...6.html?start=0

Good luck.

Hope everyone stays safe out there!

-xrispy
post #17420 of 17423 Old 04-30-2020, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
Excellent time to check in with old online friends . I hope everyone’s in good health. COVID-19 has hit my sister-in-law who’s sedated and on ventilator in a Chicago area hospital; otherwise, the remainder of my immediate and distant family remain untouched. As to my 006, that TV bit the dust a few years back but you know the KDS 70XBR2 which was the more economical version of the Qualia 006 and came out a short time later, well, I got one of those too back in the day and that RPTV with its original optical block is still going strong in the place we keep up in Big Bear, albeit it didn’t/doesn’t get nearly the amount of ‘on’ time as compared to our primary domicile as when we're up there we're constantly outdoors, except for dining or sleeping time....little TV watching.

Again, hope everyone’s doing o.k. Right around this time, years ago, I was having lunch with a fellow Qualian (‘stew’) from Chicago before going on his way over to the Long Beach Grand Prix, which I couldn’t attend with him due to prior obligations.

My, how times have changed.
Indeed the times truly have changed. Glad to see people are coming back to check-in and say hello. I used to use the Q with a computer and it seemed to work fine with 1080i output (I believe the setting was 60hz). The overscan was an issue but I just lived with it.
cargen likes this.
post #17421 of 17423 Old 05-01-2020, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Indeed the times truly have changed. Glad to see people are coming back to check-in and say hello.....
given the camaraderie, one of the greatest Owner’s threads on any forum there ever was
cargen likes this.
post #17422 of 17423 Old 05-09-2020, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Our inherited one is still going strong. Was the first one sold in Texas via Starplex. Watching a Pink Floyd concert broad cast on YouTube via Fire. Sounds incredible via 10 speakers.

When it's time to go occurs, what's a good replacement. Have gone through a bulb a year. Guess new ones are 15$.
cargen likes this.
post #17423 of 17423 Old 06-20-2020, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylannette View Post

When it's time to go occurs, what's a good replacement. Have gone through a bulb a year. Guess new ones are 15$.
Best thing to do is to stop buying $15 lamps. At best, those cheap knockoffs are dim and dingy. At worst, they'll
your light engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page