Advice: A10 vs A20 vs SXRD - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, i'm looking to purchase a tv real soon.
It will mostly be used to play x-box 360 & to watch dvd's.

My parents have a 47" Samsung DLP that is alright and it has already had its guts replaced once already in little over a year and a half. (I told my dad to get the extended warrenty on new tech but he didn't listen and several hundred dollars later in labor after fighting with Samsung to get them to cover the parts & a month without a tv)

I've narrowed it down to the Sony products: A10, A20 & SXRD.
Either a 50" or 55".
My viewing distance is between 8-12 feet, unless I change the room around it can go up to 15 feet.

What are the differences in PQ & function between the A10 & A20?

Is the difference in PQ & function of the SXRD worth the extra money?
Especially considering its 1st gen.

I'm leaning toward the A10 because it seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Although the sales rep at BB(CT) hinted that the A20's might be going out the door real soon and I should wait for the release of the SXRD to see what the clearence price will be on the A20.
Can anyone confirm this?
If so is the extra savings on the A20 a better set than the A10.
I've seen both but its so damn hard to compare in a showroom.

I've read many posts here in the last 2 days since finding this site and the comparision info is spread out over 150+ posts. It becomes confusing for a non techie like me.
Although I've learned ton in 2 days.
Great forum and info!
:)

Thanks all

ps, any other sets I should be considering? The mitsubishi dlp looked good except that the glare shield drove me nuts.

Gamer Tag: DR POPPER 3123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Bueller? Bueller?
Anyone?
Anyone?

A shameless bump.
:D

post #3 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'd wait to see what SXRD brings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

I think the SXRD would be a waste if you're just using it for gaming and DVDs. The benefit of 1080p resolution will only be apparent if you're watching 1080i HD broadcasts, and if you're sitting close enough for the screen size. From 8-12 feet, you might see some benefit on a 60" but not on a 50", and those are the only two sizes available for the SXRD. The A10 is much less, and though it's 5" smaller than the A20, it has better black levels which will look better for DVDs.

I want to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.
post #5 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 10:22 AM

Unless the SXRD's represent close to perfection, it's probably better to get a cheaper "good" set and upgrade when the noticable improvements come later at a cheaper price. This is for those who aren't of the "latest and greatest" club, of which I am a former member. The A20's are pretty good but the new JVCs at 20% less than the SXRD may be a happy medium and stave of upgrading longer. I would guess that the 61FH96 can be had for <$4000, or about $1K less than the 60" SXRD. However, at ~$2300 for the A20, you have to start wondering. Hmm...
post #6 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Empire for the input and answering a few questions.
Black levels are a concern for me, my parents' dlp is 1st gen and the blacks look grey to me.

The extra 5" on the a20 isn't much of a concern, especially considering my g/f isn't into tv at all. Luckily for me she brought home a new kitten without consulting me so I was able to negotiate a larger tv than she wanted. Of course I'm leaving out the part about a 42" being available. :D Oooops :eek:

The only channels I watch are in HD; HBO, Discovery and ESPN. I don't watch much regular tv, except for Battlestar Galactica on Sci-fi and I can always wait for the dvd to come out. :)

I'm not sure the extra 2+ grand for the SXRD at this time is worth it for me, especially considering its 1 gen/model year for it.
It would have to be a huge leap in PQ for me to consider buying it.

Anyone seen a SXRD in person yet?

I'm thinking in a few years after a few technologies slug it out there will be a clearer picture (no pun intended :p ) as to what technology is the winner.

post #7 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 10:37 AM

I concur about waiting on the sxrd, jvc has had enough problems with their model I'm sure Sony will have plenty 1st gen problems also. I went ahead and bought the 42a10, I'm about 6-7 feet away from the screen and it looks great. I figure in 5 or so years I'll buy a larger tv when I have room too and 1080p sets should be the norm and all the problems should be worked out by then. Of course by then everyone will be talking about HD3D and I'll be cotemplating on getting a 1st gen HD3D lol the never ending cycle of new technology.

Sony 42A10
SVS 25-31 PC Plus Subwoofer
Paradigm Legends Fronts and Rears
Paradigm CC370 Center
Yamaha 5660 Reciever
Sony nc665
PS3
post #8 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbf1
However, at ~$2300 for the A20, you have to start wondering. Hmm...
That's my dilemma atm. I've read various posts both in pro & con for the A20 compared to the A10. Although a majority seem to think the a10 has better black levels, but more adjustability in PQ for the A20.

For gaming I read the A20 has issues with black levels and the A10 could possible has issues with strobing light due to the iris.

Any one have any other input on the comparison of the 2 models.

post #9 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I'll be upgrading soon and have ben researching here to the extent I can. Some of these threads with thousands of posts are impossible to read. The set I originally had at the top of my list was the 60XS955 but the price was really more than I wanted to spend (or wife would let me spend). Then I was considering the JVC 61Z786 but the thread on those sets has many posts talking about problems. Now the SXRD is out but a lot of people think you will not be able to see a noticeable difference over 720P models at a viewing distance of 2x screen width, it's also very expensive.

Right now the 60A20 is at the top of the list, should have a picture as good as the XS955, is less expensive, and I like the cabinet better (would prefer no side speakers but they're better than the stupid things on the 955s).

Somebody tell me why I should NOT buy the A20 or tell me what is better for similar $$$.

Jim
post #10 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 01:06 PM

Liked: 23
"Is the difference in PQ & function of the SXRD worth the extra money?
Especially considering its 1st gen. "

Probably, just based on the the fact that the dreaded Screen Door Effect will not be present on the SXRD. LCOS is just a better technology than LCD. I don't care if its cost $500 more, don't waste your money on a LCD RPTV if you intend on watching movies in addition to Xbox. People that are impressed with LCD RPTV are not really demanding videophiles. LCD RPTV have more noticeable SDE and weaker blacks. LCOS have all the strengths of LCD but none of its weaknesses. Your games and your movies will probably look better on a LCOS set than on a LCD RPTV.
post #11 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I too have been racking my brain over the 50 inch A10 vs. 55A20 and the new 50 SXRD. One more thing to consider: The A20 series sets have a slightly higher resolution than that of the A10 line. SXRD of course having the highest resolution but my thinking here is that premium dollar spent here just puts you way in front of the curve and therefore not the best bang for your buck. In three years when I consider upgrading again most sets will be in the 1080P resolution and with better features and contrast etc. than they offer today.

I have decided to go with the A20 for it's extra 5 inches and greater native resolution over the A10. I know the A10 has better input options...but if youre up on your other components you don't really require all those input jacks. I do my video switching via my receiver. Except for my DVD player of course! The memory card reader seems useless to me. I have a Canon digital camera anyway. Plus I can always view photos on disk through my DVD player. The advanced IRIS has been the biggest feature to worry about. But from what I've heard this doesnt really create black levels that are any better than what you can achieve on the A20 with proper tuning.

In addition, I was also looking into the XS955. After speaking with a Sony rep I was convinced that the A20 and A10 models would actually look better due to the considerably shorter light path in both these models.

Cheers!
post #12 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I previously owned a Sony 50 inch RPTV that dates two years back now. I was never pleased with the black levels. To be honest I hated them. So when researching a new set to replace this one with I was not going to even consider Sony. It's hard to say that because I just love Sony products and have owned them for years.

So I went out to view the new JVC DILA sets, the new Sammy's, Mitsu and Toshiba. Next to all of these were the new Sony A10's and A20's. I tinkered with the brightness, blacklevel, sharpness and such with all these sets before coming to the conclusion that the SONY sets just looked better. The images were more crisp more color accurate and the black levels of two years ago that I couldn't stand were gone. The color on the Sony sets is just amazing. Grass on a football field just isn't neon colored guys!

I had asked the salesman to play a dark DVD (Aliens) on all the sets simutaniously, then pause in the dark scenes so that I could compare. All of these sets black crush a bit but truth be told the detail in the shadows was better on Sony's sets than that of the competition.

So after two hours of staring at each of these manufactures sets I decided hands down that either the A10 or A20 were for me.

Don't you just love doing the research when making a purchase like this. It's almost as much fun as having the product.

:-)
post #13 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55

LCOS have all the strengths of LCD but none of its weaknesses. Your games and your movies will probably look better on a LCOS set than on a LCD RPTV.
That is funny because I originally was set on the JVC LCOS set until I found this forum and read the many many negative reviews and problems that ppl were having with them.
:rolleyes:
post #14 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSamuel
That is funny because I originally was set on the JVC LCOS set until I found this forum and read the many many negative reviews and problems that ppl were having with them.
:rolleyes:
The first generation JVC LCOS sets were pretty bad but they have improved since then. I would consider the SXRD over a LCD RPTV. I haven't seen a LCD RPTV that have sufficient black levels for me, maybe that's because I'm always comparing LCD black levels to CRT which is probably not a fair comparison.
post #15 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

How difficult is it to calibrate the A20 to get the same black levels as the A10, if its actually possible to get the black levels the A10 has?

Inputs are a consideration for me. My x-box is modded so i use it as my dvd player & jukebox. Put a 120 gig drive in for all my mp3s.
I also plan on a 360 :)

I'm still not sure the SXRD is worth another 2 Grand (not $500), especially for 1st gen.
For me it would have to be a huge leap in PQ & performance. I still need to purchase a new stereo system and HD receiver.
It really sucks being a perfectionist on a budget.
I'm just as bad with my mtbikes.

How are the Panasonic LCD RP's?
My brother in law has the 50" DLP and it looks way better than my parents Samsung.

The A20 at bb did look sweet and the 55" seemed the right size to me.
Back to researching and spending an inordanant amount of time in Tweeters and BB's show room.
And YES researching is half the fun. :D

post #16 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 06:26 PM

I have seen the a10 and a20 and would definately wait for the sxrd. The only reason on this for me is that I found the screen door effect obvious and very annoying when viewing the A10 and A20. I have heard that the SXRD will have much less SDE. On the other hand, if you wait for the SXRD and do not like them that much for some reason (the Dumbo-ear speakers on the sides) then you will be able to get a better deal on the A10/20 at that point.

Were I you I would check into the new HP's, as they have a picture on par with the Qualia 006 (according to Sound and Vision Review) and will accept 1080p input (I know sources are rare but you are clearly a gamer and 1080p input will be great for the PS3 and next gen DVD which is what you watch rather than cable etc...). Also the prices are on par with the Sony's.
post #17 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Rear Projection LCD should be against the law.
post #18 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood
Why?

Another question concerning LCD Projection:

How's the contrast of the sony A10 & A20 compared to DLP?

Are there any DLP's that someone would recomend in comparison.

I found this review for the A20:
http://www.dlptvreview.com/dlptvrevi...rojection.html

post #19 of 134 Old 09-21-2005, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBikerE
Actually, that review is for the XS955. Can someone enlighten us on the difference in pic quality between the XS955 and the A20? Thanks!
post #20 of 134 Old 09-22-2005, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashgordon333
I have seen the a10 and a20 and would definately wait for the sxrd. The only reason on this for me is that I found the screen door effect obvious and very annoying when viewing the A10 and A20.
That's because you were sitting too close to it. I own the 42A10 and SDE starts to become perceivable at 7 feet. I sit at about 8 feet from it and I can't see it from that distance. For me it's the sweet spot for this TV and I get plenty of immersion at that distance.
post #21 of 134 Old 09-22-2005, 10:42 AM

What is the consensus on the best time to buy one these sets between now and the end of the year?

In October when SXRDs hit the street in numbers will these other models go down?

In November when Christmas sales kick up? (black Friday perhaps?)

In December after Christmas?

All the projections I have seen say that prices will continue to fall. Pressure is coming from falling Plasma and LCD direct view prices. Could we see a sub $2K 60" A20 from an Internet store before the end of the year?
post #22 of 134 Old 09-22-2005, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Went and viewed a few tv's today. First I went to Bernies and viewed the 42A10 and they also had a 60".
The 60" didn't impress me and I could see sde pretty easily on it. Plus it looked dull/dim to me.
The 42" wasn't calibrated at all and after a few minutes of setting things to standard it looked alright.

Next to the 60" was a Toshiba DLP 52hmx95. The black contrast on this set was very good compared to the Sony lcd rp. They had a clip of a fire place in a movie playing and you could see much greater detail and shadowing with the Toshiba DLP and the colors were contrasted much better, especially the blacks and whites. Wasn't muddy looking at all.

Went to Best Buy after that and they had a few a20's & a xs955. The SSE & SDE on these sets was very visible, but that could be attributed to how badly they were set up and the fact many were 6 ft+ off the ground.

Went to Tweeters next and viewed the 50A20 and was very impressed with that tv in a proper enviroment, the av room. The colors were extremely vivid and the blacks were good. That being said they were playing Toy Store or something like it, all rendered eye candy.

Next round is going to be me bringing several dvds along to see how they perform. I'm thinking SinCity, RotK, Seabiscuit, Clone Wars, Black Stallion & Fight Club.

I've narrowed to down to the Sony 50A10 and perhaps now the Toshiba DLP.
I'm still waiting to see what the SXRD has to offer.

Any one have any comments or info on the Toshiba 52hmx95? It would be appreciated greatly.

post #23 of 134 Old 09-22-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rain
That's because you were sitting too close to it. I own the 42A10 and SDE starts to become perceivable at 7 feet. I sit at about 8 feet from it and I can't see it from that distance. For me it's the sweet spot for this TV and I get plenty of immersion at that distance.
I walked off 10 feet and it still bothered me. Some people have better vision than others, and I could certainly sit further away than 10 feet, but I doubt the experience woud be as immersive as I would like at 12 feet. Lesson from this is to go and see the TV for yourself and check, it may not bother you at all. I'll admit though that if you are far enough away the pic is pretty darn good.

Also some people may want to sit 6 feet away every once in a while to get that true movie theatre experience, and no person with decent vision could enjoy that on the A10/20 dur to the obvious SDE.
post #24 of 134 Old 09-22-2005, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashgordon333
I walked off 10 feet and it still bothered me. Some people have better vision than others, and I could certainly sit further away than 10 feet, but I doubt the experience woud be as immersive as I would like at 12 feet. Lesson from this is to go and see the TV for yourself and check, it may not bother you at all. I'll admit though that if you are far enough away the pic is pretty darn good.

Also some people may want to sit 6 feet away every once in a while to get that true movie theatre experience, and no person with decent vision could enjoy that on the A10/20 dur to the obvious SDE.
Maybe on the 50" but not on the 42". 6 feet from either one of these TVs would cause eye strain from constant eye shifting. It's just too close.
post #25 of 134 Old 09-22-2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:
That's funny!!
post #26 of 134 Old 09-22-2005, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Agreed, anything thats not Blurry and Dim should be Outlawed...Especially dem Sonys... :o
post #27 of 134 Old 09-22-2005, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 244
It's also true! Without a doubt, Rear Projection LCD has to be the worst perfroming display in the history of Video that also has sold a ton of units. It just goes to show you that if you put Sony's name on something, market it to death, and also institute a PR assault at the Video- PC-correct AVS Forum (It looks good in some people eyes--black level doesn't matter--and noboby can really see screen door effect bad enough to where you feel like you're looking through the display gibberish!)--you really can fool most of the people most of the time. You can even fool video enthuisiasts who should really know better! The Emperor has no clothes and adjustable irises are nothing more than a fig leaf! I respect people who love Rear Projection LCD--since I do I'm sure they'll reciprocate the favor and respect me thinking that it sucks!
post #28 of 134 Old 09-22-2005, 05:42 PM

I went through this same dilemma last month and settled on the 50" A10. I bought it primarily for xbox and eventually 360 and ps3, and some 20% dvd and hdtv. My rationale was that the a10 was at a pricepoint where I was getting a quality display for a good price. I'm sitting about 8 feet from it when I play and the picture is excellent. I figured that when I wanted to purchase a display that was 60" or greater, there would be something better out there then sxrd or at least the technology would be more refined and for the same price as the 60" today I could probably get something 70" or larger. All in all, you can get a 50" a10 for less than $2000.00 and it is an excellent display that will fill your needs perfectly. By the way, the reason I didn't go with dlp is because of the small possibility of causing migraines. I know that some will say that this rarely happens but some friends and family suffer from them and I wouldn't want to exacerbate the problem.
post #29 of 134 Old 09-22-2005, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
It's also true! Without a doubt, Rear Projection LCD has to be the worst perfroming display in the history of Video that also has sold a ton of units. It just goes to show you that if you put Sony's name on something, market it to death, and also institute a PR assault at the Video- PC-correct AVS Forum (It looks good in some people eyes--black level doesn't matter--and noboby can really see screen door effect bad enough to where you feel like you're looking through the display gibberish!)--you really can fool most of the people most of the time. You can even fool video enthuisiasts who should really know better! The Emperor has no clothes and adjustable irises are nothing more than a fig leaf! I respect people who love Rear Projection LCD--since I do I'm sure they'll reciprocate the favor and respect me thinking that it sucks!

Should we know better Not to buy Big,Blurry,dim,burnin,misverge,dimgun? :confused:
post #30 of 134 Old 09-22-2005, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
It's also true! Without a doubt, Rear Projection LCD has to be the worst perfroming display in the history of Video that also has sold a ton of units. It just goes to show you that if you put Sony's name on something, market it to death, and also institute a PR assault at the Video- PC-correct AVS Forum (It looks good in some people eyes--black level doesn't matter--and noboby can really see screen door effect bad enough to where you feel like you're looking through the display gibberish!)--you really can fool most of the people most of the time.
Or, it just goes to show you that if people walk into a retailer and do a comparison of picture quality on the available sets, many of them determine that the Sony rp lcd's look really good, thus causing them to purchase the set. Occam's razor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page