Samsung 2006 DLP HDTV Discussion --- HLSxxxxW Models - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 4534 Old 06-30-2006, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Cammy,

Any word when the 71" will come in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 4534 Old 06-30-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I got my HLS6187W last night. All I can say is WOW! It replaced a 1st gen JVC DiLA. The Samsung blows it out of the water on every level from picture to design. I hadn't even seen one of these sets in person. I just did alot of reading in this forum and decided what to replace the JVC with. Thank you all for making this a great place to learn.

Black levels are very good (no more green, purple, and blue blotches like on the JVC), black detail is also very good (in my opinion. Remember I came from the JVC. Black crush city!) and the colors are fantastic. HD now has that 3D look once again!

I was really afraid of the RBE. I do see them, but only if I dart my eyes away from the screen. A minor price to pay for such a great picture.

Probably need to get this thing calibrated, but don't really trust the one ISF certified tech in my area.

Congrats on your new display! Here are some settings that you may want to use that'll likely render a more accurate image.

Digital NR - OFF
DNIe - Off
Mode - Movie
Contrast - 40
Brightness - 45
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - G50/R50
Color Tone - Warm2

If you want to take it up another level, I'd suggest performing a Digital Video Essentials (DVE) user-level setup. Here's a link to a tutorial that Dave Abrams and I wrote for American Wired a few months ago that may assist you with the procedure.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=691849

BTW, where are you located? Perhaps I can get you in touch wiith a reputable ISF technician that services your area if you choose to go that route?

Eliab
post #3873 of 4534 Old 06-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

71" is said to come out mid July last I have heard (With Sammy there is always a 50% chance of delay..as we all know release dates are never set in stone). I shall let you all know once we see those arrifve back into our warehouse. I really wish they would have released a 67" again..besides the costco model.

Cheers,
Cambryn

Out with the old in with the new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3874 of 4534 Old 06-30-2006, 08:41 PM

Eliab,

Thanks for the info. Those are the exact settings I am using for viewing cable and movies. I do change them when I play the Xbox 360. I think I was using standard for that with the contrast decreased to 60, with DNIe and DNR off. Seems like movie may be a little too dark for games. I am sure I will change the settings for games as I play them more.

I am in Bowling Green KY. We only have one ISF tech here. He may be ok, but I am not sure. He offers to do a full calibration or he said he could get it close with a setup disk. That kind of made me think that maybe he may not exactly know his stuff.

I guess you are saying I would still benifit from buying the DVE disk? If so, I am sure I will purchase it.

For the gamers. I have the 360 set to output at 1080i and have not noticed any lag. I am not using game mode. I have compared between game mode on and off and haven't noticed any difference in "lag". There could be some. I just may not have noticed it yet. I got some friends coming over Monday. That should tell the tale.
post #3875 of 4534 Old 07-01-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy View Post

We apologize that sometimes we don't have more information to give out. It really depends on when the TV's arrive into our warehouse. We do have to confirm and ship out those TV's as quickly as possible which help with more inventory to arrive into our warehouse. We really do not know how many are going to hit the warehouse until they are in the warehouse. We might the day before if we are lucky...

Hang in there. We know many of you all are anxious. We are just as anxious to get your TV's out to you so you can enjoy them and let us know how you like them.

Cheers,
[email protected]

Thanks, Cambryn. However I suggest Samsung could do a better job helping you help us! When I search the web I see is that some other vendors claim to have the HL-S6187 in stock! Are they blowing smoke?
post #3876 of 4534 Old 07-01-2006, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliab View Post

Congrats on your new display! Here are some settings that you may want to use that'll likely render a more accurate image.

Digital NR - OFF
DNIe - Off
Mode - Movie
Contrast - 50
Brightness - 50
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - G50/R50
Color Tone - Warm2

If you want to take it up another level, I'd suggest performing a Digital Video Essentials (DVE) user-level setup. Here's a link to a tutorial that Dave Abrams and I wrote for American Wired a few months ago that may assist you with the procedure.

BTW, where are you located? Perhaps I can get you in touch wiith a reputable ISF technician that services your area if you choose to go that route?

Eliab

This is not a flame, just an observation. I don't think that one person's settings are of any use to anyone else. There are way too many varibles. First off, the viewing situation has an impact. Ambient light, viewing angle, source material, etc. Also, different TV's might have slightly different physical characteristics that could make a difference. And more importantly, everyone's eye is different. For instance, I use game mode for my xbox. I use my DVE settings for DVD's (on standard picture setting) and I use a custom picture setting for my cable STB. I like the picture better with NR and DNIe on. I have never seen any rainbows or sparkles. Is my set properly calibrated? Who knows. All I know is my wife and I love the picture and are having a blast with this thing. I expect maybe someone would look at it and say wow, what a crappy picture. But so far, that hasn't happened.

I used DVE on the DVD player but found the settings did not work entirely with my cable, so I had to tweak it. The movie setting is too soft and washed out for me. I switched back and forth for my wife and she said the exact same thing, that it was "thin" and the color was weak (set to 45). For DVD we both preferred standard, and letting DVE set the levels. Then I took those levels and settings to cable and started tweaking to find the right mix. So good luck to all, but use settings as a starting point, not a finishing point. The only person you have to please if the one who wrote the check!
post #3877 of 4534 Old 07-01-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsomers View Post

I ordered my HL-S6187W from TVA in May 7th and am currently #47 in their queue as of this morning. TVA can't seem to give me any info on when it will be shipped. Anyone else got any info or anyone else getting their '6187 recently?

Did you try SEARS, of all places? Costs a bit more ($3200) but six weeks ago they had it in when absolutely nobody else did, so I simply bought it there. BTW, I love it. I'm a real PQ freak, and I'm totally flipped with the HL-S6187W. It couldn't be better.
post #3878 of 4534 Old 07-01-2006, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

This is not a flame, just an observation. I don't think that one person's settings are of any use to anyone else.

That depends. If one's settings are more accurate than another's, then there's will in fact be of use if the other person in question is seeking to get closer to the standards set forth by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE). The settings that I suggested will in fact afford a more accurate picture. The DVE setup procedure will provide an even more precise setup.

Quote:

There are way too many varibles. First off, the viewing situation has an impact. Ambient light, viewing angle, source material, etc. Also, different TV's might have slightly different physical characteristics that could make a difference.

Agreed. This is mentioned in the DVE article.

Quote:

And more importantly, everyone's eye is different.

This does not negate the fact that there is a correct and an incorrect way to setup brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, grayscale, focus, etc.

Quote:

For instance, I use game mode for my xbox. I use my DVE settings for DVD's (on standard picture setting) and I use a custom picture setting for my cable STB. I like the picture better with NR and DNIe on. I have never seen any rainbows or sparkles. Is my set properly calibrated? Who knows. All I know is my wife and I love the picture and are having a blast with this thing. I expect maybe someone would look at it and say wow, what a crappy picture. But so far, that hasn't happened.

These settings do not abide by system standards. Consequently, your TV isn't rendering material the way that it was intended to be viewed by those that created it. On the other hand, that doesn't mean that it cannot be subjectively enjoyed!

Quote:

I used DVE on the DVD player but found the settings did not work entirely with my cable, so I had to tweak it. The movie setting is too soft and washed out for me. I switched back and forth for my wife and she said the exact same thing, that it was "thin" and the color was weak (set to 45). For DVD we both preferred standard, and letting DVE set the levels. Then I took those levels and settings to cable and started tweaking to find the right mix.

In your defense, it is possible that on your particular display the "Movie" mode may be too warm. I've seen this on a few Samsung displays. Even so, for some people who have lived all their lives with displays that are way too blue, have red-push, and excessive edge enhancement, anything that differs from that look can appear too soft.

Quote:

So good luck to all, but use settings as a starting point, not a finishing point.

I couldn't agree more!

Quote:

The only person you have to please if the one who wrote the check!

Absolutely! A display that abides more closely to system standards is not for everyone. Like most people, it took me some time to get used to the "new" look as well.

Eliab
post #3879 of 4534 Old 07-01-2006, 09:02 PM

Liked: 11
For all you folks waiting for the 6187 there is hope. I was originally 31 on the list and I got the "call" from TVA today. About a week ago I was 17, so there has definitely been some movement and it appears they are finally getting a number of these in.

For those of you tracking your progress on the list I ordered 4/26. It was pretty hard to be patient but it has paid off. BTW for those of you considering other options, when I was 22 on the list I did sign up with another reputable internet dealer. On June 15 they said they would have a bunch in by the last week of June and I was number 6 on their list. When I emailed them earlier in the week they informed me they would not get any until the end of July. So other options aren't necessarilly better as this appears to be an issue with Samsung distribution not with TVA or other retailers.

Thank TVA for putting up with my weekly emails and inquiries.
post #3880 of 4534 Old 07-02-2006, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Folks, I just found out first hand that the 2006 hl-s4266w DOES NOT have a digital cable tuner like the 2005 model, nor the cable card slot (I already knew the latter). Since I use the tv without a set top box, it's going back and I'm gonna live with the 2005 model.

Frustrating to lose features like that!

1080p, where marketing genius and science fiction collide!
post #3881 of 4534 Old 07-02-2006, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
hi. what's the differences between the 5687 and 5688?
post #3882 of 4534 Old 07-02-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nick View Post

For those of you tracking your progress on the list I ordered 4/26. It was pretty hard to be patient but it has paid off. BTW for those of you considering other options, when I was 22 on the list I did sign up with another reputable internet dealer. On June 15 they said they would have a bunch in by the last week of June and I was number 6 on their list. When I emailed them earlier in the week they informed me they would not get any until the end of July. So other options aren't necessarilly better as this appears to be an issue with Samsung distribution not with TVA or other retailers.

I ordered one yesterday from a site that sells it for over $300 less than TVA, has it in stock, is reputable, and 3 day shipping is $150. So at least there are some other options. Do a froogle search for hl-s6187w, sort by price, and you're there.
post #3883 of 4534 Old 07-02-2006, 02:24 PM

I was thinking about getting an HLS5086W, i have found it at pretty good prices online, about 1400 shipped. I just wanted to see what ya'll thought about that set, what i should be aware of before i buy. I know that the HLR series had a few issues with game lag, but i heard that it was cleared up in the HLS series. I am going to be using the TV mostly for DVD watching, xbox360 playing, and some TV watching. I steal cable, so i won't be able to utilize the cableCARD situation, but i will be able to get the over-coax HD channels. Is the HLS5086W for me or is there another set in the same price range that i should be looking at instead?
post #3884 of 4534 Old 07-02-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Thou shalt not steal.

Dave

post #3885 of 4534 Old 07-02-2006, 02:45 PM

Thou shall not pay too much for someone to come to my house and use a ladder to remove a 1 inch block in the cable and then charge me 45 bucks a month from then on. The unknown 11th commandment.
post #3886 of 4534 Old 07-02-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well...I stopped by the local Tweeter where I ordered my 5688 and have had since June 20. There was a price drop so I picked up a nice chunk of cash back. I'm not sure how much TVA is charging but I'm actually happy now I didn't buy online. My warranty already covered a technician coming out 3 days after the TV arrived to remove a piece of dust that made it on the mirror and was projecting on the screen as a small black dot. I know a lot of people have been happy with TVA, but I didn't receive one call from them about delays on a 5679 I had on order. In fact their web site still doesn't have the 5688 and still shows the 5679 being available on May 22.
post #3887 of 4534 Old 07-02-2006, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeezee View Post

Thou shall not pay too much for someone to come to my house and use a ladder to remove a 1 inch block in the cable and then charge me 45 bucks a month from then on. The unknown 11th commandment.

You're an idiot.

Dave

post #3888 of 4534 Old 07-02-2006, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm enjoying my 5687 very much that I got from TVA. My only complaint with TVA is how they handled the 5679 fiasco. I have someone that'll buy my 5687 after a few years, when the lasers and LED's are more common.

Anyway, in the meantime I got my 5687 very quickly, very cheaply, and in perfect shape from TVA. I just wish they'd have been more honest and accurate on their webpage with that 5679.
post #3889 of 4534 Old 07-02-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post

Anyone???
post #3890 of 4534 Old 07-02-2006, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepco View Post

Anyone???

search around..

here they are in a quick sum

cable card
firewire
2 tuner PIP

i think that is it.. but dont quote me. The reason why you did not get an answer is because this has been spoken about sooo much. However i do feel for you because this site thrives off of 100+ page threads... which i strongly do not favor.. no one really has time to go through those threads unless you have followed them the whole time. But hey.. i still get my info here so i cant talk too much junk
post #3891 of 4534 Old 07-02-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 View Post

I'm enjoying my 5687 very much that I got from TVA. My only complaint with TVA is how they handled the 5679 fiasco. I have someone that'll buy my 5687 after a few years, when the lasers and LED's are more common.

Anyway, in the meantime I got my 5687 very quickly, very cheaply, and in perfect shape from TVA. I just wish they'd have been more honest and accurate on their webpage with that 5679.

Still holding out for the 5679 but I totally agree on TVA's handling of it being poor. I said as much in a BizRate survey sent to me today.
post #3892 of 4534 Old 07-02-2006, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natic View Post

search around..

cable card
firewire
2 tuner PIP

I believe you can add that the 88 has a QAM tuner, and a black speaker area just below the Samsung label, while the 87 has a silver speaker area. For some reason, the photos of the 88s on the Samsung web site are obviously the 87. But, if you open the spec sheets of each you can see the difference.

5687 Spec Sheet

5688 Spec Sheet

Jack

post #3893 of 4534 Old 07-03-2006, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natic View Post

search around..

cable card
firewire
2 tuner PIP

i think that is it.. but dont quote me. The reason why you did not get an answer is because this has been spoken about sooo much. However i do feel for you because this site thrives off of 100+ page threads... which i strongly do not favor.. no one really has time to go through those threads unless you have followed them the whole time. But hey.. i still get my info here so i cant talk too much junk

the 88 can also leap small buildings in a single bound....... while maybe not a deal-breaker, something to consider.

;-)
post #3894 of 4534 Old 07-03-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post

The '88 supports a CableCard and has a Firewire input.

In theory that means you can use the CableCard instead of one of the HDMI inputs for connection to cable TV and get HiDef over the cable without renting the cable companies box. You can then use the TV's remote instead of having to use the cable companies remote. You still need to rent the CableCard from your cable provider but that's cheeper then renting a HiDef box.

The FireWire input would be good for plugging in a mini-DV camera that has FireWire out, directly into the TV for viewing. I don't know if you can use other FireWire devices, such as external hard drives, or not.

Despite what some say, Samsung tells me that both have the same light engine so both support 10-bit processing.
post #3895 of 4534 Old 07-03-2006, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Before you jump on the CableCARD though...make sure the tuner on the TV is fast. I had a Mitsubishi and tried out CableCard and it sucked. The TV tuner was very slow so you couldn't "surf" channels. You also lose the Guide Channel and the TV Guide feature in the TV doesn't always update or put the channels in order. If anyone's tried out CableCard on the Samsung they should share their experience. If you can change channels fast and the TV Guide works, I might be willing to try it again
post #3896 of 4534 Old 07-03-2006, 02:29 PM
TWD
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I performed the DVE calibration as outlined by Eliab in an above post and the results are excellent. I recommend anyone who has this set to give it a shot.

TWD
post #3897 of 4534 Old 07-03-2006, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

TWD,

Glad to hear that it was useful to you.

Eliab
post #3898 of 4534 Old 07-04-2006, 08:31 AM

Eliab's Settings = Good Advice

---------------------------
Here are some settings that you may want to use that'll likely render a more accurate image.

Digital NR - OFF
DNIe - Off
Mode - Movie
Contrast - 50
Brightness - 50
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - G50/R50
Color Tone - Warm2

. . . Eliab

-----------------------------------------------------------------

After watching our 6187 for about 3 weeks we tried the above settings - - and what a remarkable improvement - - on all sources. We were very surprised that "any" setting should be at zero (so we never tried setting anything below 30-ish, much less the sharpness).

Only other observation is that we have a very bright room so we turn up the brightness for daytime viewing. The live NASA stuff on HD has been awesome.

Thank you Eliab.
post #3899 of 4534 Old 07-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

These settings are great advice. I have my dlp dialed in very close to this with my sencore gear. and really for almost any calibration of displays i've done the sharpness feature is "almost" always best set at zero. On my dlp, samsung 46" tantus, can't remember the model number. Sharpness is terrible down to 5, then below 5 it rapidly improves the picture. I have color at 47 and contrast is at 80 for my room due to ambient light and personal taste. I lower it when it's very dark.

I hope samsung makes a new 46" dlp that is the same size as their tantus, it's the only size display i can fit in my entertainment center which was originally made for the first 43" samsung dlp that came out a few years ago.

As a side note, i have brightness set at 53 with the sencore gear, however i always leave it at 50 if i'm not using the gear. Any tips for setting brightness when i'm on a small jobsite and they haven't purchased a full video calibration?
post #3900 of 4534 Old 07-04-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliab View Post

Digital NR - OFF
DNIe - Off
Mode - Movie
Contrast - 50
Brightness - 50
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - G50/R50
Color Tone - Warm2

Eliab

Any tips for the old 2005 HLR-5078W or would these settings work too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page