Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 450 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 75Likes

post #13471 of 13479 Old 11-23-2019, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
Ok well I guess there's no need for my Pioneer parts. I'm heading down the path of junking it.

PM if anyone needs a power supply or whatever.
I'll take you up on that. PM sent -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13472 of 13479 Old 11-23-2019, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
Vince, I see you are in Hayward, right next door to me in San Lorenzo.

You still have your CRT set?

Mr Bob
Hey Mr. Bob
No, you may have forgotten, that I gave you my Pioneer elite 510 some 15+ years ago an you sold it to some guy in texas. I'm now living in the central valley and have a 65E6P, C7 55" and soon o be 77' C9 all OLED. Happy holidays my old friend.
post #13473 of 13479 Old 11-23-2019, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince48 View Post
Hey Mr. Bob
No, you may have forgotten, that I gave you my Pioneer elite 510 some 15+ years ago an you sold it to some guy in texas. I'm now living in the central valley and have a 65E6P, C7 55" and soon o be 77' C9 all OLED. Happy holidays my old friend.
OMG, I remember boarding that thing up for the trip, using actual wooden boards to keep its front safe! Great to hear from you.

Believe it or not, I still have a 610 in my garage I use for testing the PS boards I resolder. Along with my 73" Mit in the living room.

Yes great to hear from you too!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13474 of 13479 Old 11-23-2019, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
It still works great, just getting dim and the family is ready to move on to a new 77" OLED.

I'm debating current LG against what's coming in Spring. When I pull the trigger I'll reach out so you can tell me what to pull before she goes away.

Glad you're doing ok!
You too!

You realize that I can put back the brightness into your set, crispen it up and make it look like a set you will never want to part with, right? My calibration protocol does all those things and much much more.

I own the first gen LG 55", fully calibrated and sparkling. It's in the sun room. But I still love my 73" CRT, which is the centerpiece of my living room system. It is still as sparkling as the day I bought it when the optics are cleaned once a year. When not cleaned regularly layers of dust, soot and all manner of airborne contaminants gather on the optical surfaces inside the optical cavity drawn in by the high voltage, rendering the picture bleary as all get out. Looks totally worn out. Isn't. The difference my optics cleaning protocol would make on your set in just an afternoon's work is simply dazzling.

What also happens on a Pioneer is that the energy being sent to the guns starts to dwindle and the pots that govern that need to be turned up again to compensate. Then rebalanced, to stay within ISF specs for D6500K gray.

The combination of these 2 ingredients restores the brilliance of your set, which most owners think simply dies over time. Nothing could be further from the truth. When the contrast is kept at midpoint of the light level range, as is the case in all Pioneer Elites out of the box, the actual wear and tear on the guns never reaches critical noticeability, even 15 years down the line, under normal usage parameters in terms of hours/day watched.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 11-23-2019 at 05:19 PM.
post #13475 of 13479 Old 12-11-2019, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
You too!

You realize that I can put back the brightness into your set, crispen it up and make it look like a set you will never want to part with, right? My calibration protocol does all those things and much much more.

I own the first gen LG 55", fully calibrated and sparkling. It's in the sun room. But I still love my 73" CRT, which is the centerpiece of my living room system. It is still as sparkling as the day I bought it when the optics are cleaned once a year. When not cleaned regularly layers of dust, soot and all manner of airborne contaminants gather on the optical surfaces inside the optical cavity drawn in by the high voltage, rendering the picture bleary as all get out. Looks totally worn out. Isn't. The difference my optics cleaning protocol would make on your set in just an afternoon's work is simply dazzling.

What also happens on a Pioneer is that the energy being sent to the guns starts to dwindle and the pots that govern that need to be turned up again to compensate. Then rebalanced, to stay within ISF specs for D6500K gray.

The combination of these 2 ingredients restores the brilliance of your set, which most owners think simply dies over time. Nothing could be further from the truth. When the contrast is kept at midpoint of the light level range, as is the case in all Pioneer Elites out of the box, the actual wear and tear on the guns never reaches critical noticeability, even 15 years down the line, under normal usage parameters in terms of hours/day watched.

b

They don’t make 73” crt it would be about 3000 pounds you mean dlp ?
Why did they discontinued them and plasma despite being the most film like types of displays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13476 of 13479 Old 12-11-2019, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Lightbulb On 73" CRTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackburn101 View Post
They don’t make 73” crt it would be about 3000 pounds you mean dlp ?

While there is no such thing as a 73" CRT, there is such a thing as a 73" CRT Rear Projection. There's a ~500 page forum thread about the technology around here somewhere...

Quote:
Why did they discontinued them and plasma despite being the most film like types of displays?

The increasing dominance (and ultimate superiority) of LCD. Also, reduced weight, power consumption, and manufacturing costs.

Quote:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not interested
post #13477 of 13479 Old 12-11-2019, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browningate View Post
While there is no such thing as a 73" CRT, there is such a thing as a 73" CRT Rear Projection. There's a ~500 page forum thread about the technology around here somewhere...

The increasing dominance (and ultimate superiority) of LCD. Also, reduced weight, power consumption, and manufacturing costs.

Not interested
Are led the best ? Essentially identical to lcd with a different backlight??

So dlp was just doomed from the begging and easily replaced by thinner better lcd ?

What about oled ? And there common burn in issues that ♌️ people talk about ?

Reptilians invading in year 20**?
Tesla spoken to them
post #13478 of 13479 Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes I do believe it has the most filmlike display.

It does have 3 CRTs in it, tho, and for those who don't know about projection type TVs, they need to be converged correctly, so the images superimpose correctly on the screen. And focused correctly both on the CRT screens and the actual display screen. And have the correct grayscale and have the correct colorations.

All of which my 73" does. And more. Much much more.

Please contact me if you want to keep my set out there and pleasing people.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13479 of 13479 Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Post Setting the record straight.

Quote:
Are led the best ? Essentially identical to lcd with a different backlight??

What about oled ? And there common burn in issues that ♌️ people talk about ?

Oled has nothing to do with LCD. Burn-in is a thing, as with CRT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
convergence , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite , pioneer sd-p5181-k , Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page