Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 450 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 75Likes

post #13471 of 13504 Old 11-23-2019, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
Ok well I guess there's no need for my Pioneer parts. I'm heading down the path of junking it.

PM if anyone needs a power supply or whatever.
I'll take you up on that. PM sent -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13472 of 13504 Old 11-23-2019, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
Vince, I see you are in Hayward, right next door to me in San Lorenzo.

You still have your CRT set?

Mr Bob
Hey Mr. Bob
No, you may have forgotten, that I gave you my Pioneer elite 510 some 15+ years ago an you sold it to some guy in texas. I'm now living in the central valley and have a 65E6P, C7 55" and soon o be 77' C9 all OLED. Happy holidays my old friend.
post #13473 of 13504 Old 11-23-2019, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince48 View Post
Hey Mr. Bob
No, you may have forgotten, that I gave you my Pioneer elite 510 some 15+ years ago an you sold it to some guy in texas. I'm now living in the central valley and have a 65E6P, C7 55" and soon o be 77' C9 all OLED. Happy holidays my old friend.
OMG, I remember boarding that thing up for the trip, using actual wooden boards to keep its front safe! Great to hear from you.

Believe it or not, I still have a 610 in my garage I use for testing the PS boards I resolder. Along with my 73" Mit in the living room.

Yes great to hear from you too!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13474 of 13504 Old 11-23-2019, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
It still works great, just getting dim and the family is ready to move on to a new 77" OLED.

I'm debating current LG against what's coming in Spring. When I pull the trigger I'll reach out so you can tell me what to pull before she goes away.

Glad you're doing ok!
You too!

You realize that I can put back the brightness into your set, crispen it up and make it look like a set you will never want to part with, right? My calibration protocol does all those things and much much more.

I own the first gen LG 55", fully calibrated and sparkling. It's in the sun room. But I still love my 73" CRT, which is the centerpiece of my living room system. It is still as sparkling as the day I bought it when the optics are cleaned once a year. When not cleaned regularly layers of dust, soot and all manner of airborne contaminants gather on the optical surfaces inside the optical cavity drawn in by the high voltage, rendering the picture bleary as all get out. Looks totally worn out. Isn't. The difference my optics cleaning protocol would make on your set in just an afternoon's work is simply dazzling.

What also happens on a Pioneer is that the energy being sent to the guns starts to dwindle and the pots that govern that need to be turned up again to compensate. Then rebalanced, to stay within ISF specs for D6500K gray.

The combination of these 2 ingredients restores the brilliance of your set, which most owners think simply dies over time. Nothing could be further from the truth. When the contrast is kept at midpoint of the light level range, as is the case in all Pioneer Elites out of the box, the actual wear and tear on the guns never reaches critical noticeability, even 15 years down the line, under normal usage parameters in terms of hours/day watched.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 11-23-2019 at 05:19 PM.
post #13475 of 13504 Old 12-11-2019, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
You too!

You realize that I can put back the brightness into your set, crispen it up and make it look like a set you will never want to part with, right? My calibration protocol does all those things and much much more.

I own the first gen LG 55", fully calibrated and sparkling. It's in the sun room. But I still love my 73" CRT, which is the centerpiece of my living room system. It is still as sparkling as the day I bought it when the optics are cleaned once a year. When not cleaned regularly layers of dust, soot and all manner of airborne contaminants gather on the optical surfaces inside the optical cavity drawn in by the high voltage, rendering the picture bleary as all get out. Looks totally worn out. Isn't. The difference my optics cleaning protocol would make on your set in just an afternoon's work is simply dazzling.

What also happens on a Pioneer is that the energy being sent to the guns starts to dwindle and the pots that govern that need to be turned up again to compensate. Then rebalanced, to stay within ISF specs for D6500K gray.

The combination of these 2 ingredients restores the brilliance of your set, which most owners think simply dies over time. Nothing could be further from the truth. When the contrast is kept at midpoint of the light level range, as is the case in all Pioneer Elites out of the box, the actual wear and tear on the guns never reaches critical noticeability, even 15 years down the line, under normal usage parameters in terms of hours/day watched.

b

They don’t make 73” crt it would be about 3000 pounds you mean dlp ?
Why did they discontinued them and plasma despite being the most film like types of displays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13476 of 13504 Old 12-11-2019, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Lightbulb On 73" CRTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackburn101 View Post
They don’t make 73” crt it would be about 3000 pounds you mean dlp ?

While there is no such thing as a 73" CRT, there is such a thing as a 73" CRT Rear Projection. There's a ~500 page forum thread about the technology around here somewhere...

Quote:
Why did they discontinued them and plasma despite being the most film like types of displays?

The increasing dominance (and ultimate superiority) of LCD. Also, reduced weight, power consumption, and manufacturing costs.

Quote:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not interested
post #13477 of 13504 Old 12-11-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browningate View Post
While there is no such thing as a 73" CRT, there is such a thing as a 73" CRT Rear Projection. There's a ~500 page forum thread about the technology around here somewhere...

The increasing dominance (and ultimate superiority) of LCD. Also, reduced weight, power consumption, and manufacturing costs.

Not interested
Are led the best ? Essentially identical to lcd with a different backlight??

So dlp was just doomed from the begging and easily replaced by thinner better lcd ?

What about oled ? And there common burn in issues that ♌️ people talk about ?

Reptilians invading in year 20**?
Tesla spoken to them
post #13478 of 13504 Old 12-12-2019, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes I do believe it has the most filmlike display.

It does have 3 CRTs in it, tho, and for those who don't know about projection type TVs, they need to be converged correctly, so the images superimpose correctly on the screen. And focused correctly both on the CRT screens and the actual display screen. And have the correct grayscale and have the correct colorations.

All of which my 73" does. And more. Much much more.

Please contact me if you want to keep my set out there and pleasing people.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13479 of 13504 Old 12-12-2019, 04:41 PM

Post Setting the record straight.

Quote:
Are led the best ? Essentially identical to lcd with a different backlight??

What about oled ? And there common burn in issues that ♌️ people talk about ?

Oled has nothing to do with LCD. Burn-in is a thing, as with CRT.
post #13480 of 13504 Old 12-15-2019, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WOW! I haven't posted to this thread in about 10 years. Only a few CRT died hards keeping the faith alive. I think I sold by Pioneer 610 in 2010.
post #13481 of 13504 Old 12-15-2019, 06:40 PM

Don't dump your CRT RPTV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounders View Post
WOW! I haven't posted to this thread in about 10 years. Only a few CRT died hards keeping the faith alive. I think I sold by Pioneer 610 in 2010.
Shame the slim fit and hdtv crt died off such amazing picture , and dlp . But hey led is a good alternative though old stuff looks horrific . Lcd was best imo

I just don’t like the poor up conversion on my 4k tv it’s dreadful, all movies aren’t on Netflix either most of ones I have on dvd aren’t.
I guess someday all crt will have died or been thrown in trash by people who don’t like the look or weight of them . Or simply die of system failure ...
Which pioneer ??
I offered to take this for free but seller would not budge on price
https://letgo.onelink.me/O2PG/2bac970d

Reptilians invading in year 2027
Tesla spoken to them

Last edited by kblackburn101; 12-15-2019 at 06:49 PM.
post #13482 of 13504 Old 12-16-2019, 04:21 PM

Lightbulb On upscaling

Quote:
I just don’t like the poor up conversion on my 4k tv it’s dreadful, all movies aren’t on Netflix either most of ones I have on dvd aren’t.

Most modern upscaling is about as good as it gets. Using a CRT (HD or otherwise) is probably the only other thing that would get you in the ballpark.

Quote:
I offered to take this for free but seller would not budge on price
https://letgo.onelink.me/O2PG/2bac970d

That's not a CRT. It's an LCD. I actually had that model once and it was pretty underwhelming. It's dim & dingy, and the light engines just don't hold up. They get a pummeling after just a few thousand hours; especially those old ones. Consider yourself lucky that she didn't take your $0 offer.

Last edited by Browningate; 12-16-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: minor correction on seller
post #13483 of 13504 Old 12-17-2019, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If anyone is in the Toronto ontario Canada area that wants a Pioneer Elite Pro 720 for free shoot me a pm if it's not gone by the spring it will be going to the landfill
post #13484 of 13504 Old 12-18-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I have a Pioneer Elite Pro-710HD in my garage - Bob had made two stops in Phoenix to work his magic on it in the past. Unfortunately, we no longer have room in our house for this TV after our family room renovation. So, if anyone is in the Phoenix, AZ area and would like the TV, it's yours!

We also have a nice entertainment center that fits beautifully around the TV.

We now have a Sony A1E 77" TV. It's nice. It's bigger and brighter than the Pioneer, which is nice for sports (and we watch a lot of sports!). However, if I had a choice between the Sony and Pioneer when sitting down to watch a movie in a dark room, I would pick the Pioneer every time. While the Sony does have some benefits over the Pioneer, there are other things that the Sony can never do like the Pioneer. It's kind of like the analog (records) vs digital (cd's, streaming, etc) on the audio side of things. There are some things that digital cannot do like analog can do.

Hi to Bob and Happy Holidays everyone!

Dave
post #13485 of 13504 Old 12-23-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideswiper View Post
If anyone is in the Toronto ontario Canada area that wants a Pioneer Elite Pro 720 for free shoot me a pm if it's not gone by the spring it will be going to the landfill

Wow why would you get rid of such a nice tv for movies ? Wish I lived near someone dumping one for free haha

Tesla spoken to them
post #13486 of 13504 Old 12-25-2019, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Dave -

Great to have you back at this thread! Welcome. Working on your set was the cat's meow for me back then. Good luck with your new set, and happy holidays to you as well!

Quote:
Shame the slim fit and hdtv crt died off such amazing picture , and dlp . But hey led is a good alternative though old stuff looks horrific . Lcd was best imo

I just don’t like the poor up conversion on my 4k tv it’s dreadful

No upconversion is better than native material on a native display unless you need it because you have a higher scanrate than your material.

If you are not trying to feed a 4K display, the upconversion to 4K is not needed when you have good HD and a good 1080i display. At best, on a 1080p display the 1080p upconverted from 1080i is not noticeably better than 1080i, and in many cases worse. My set does not suffer from any upconversions when watching OTA 1080i - which is still 99% of the HD on the airwaves - on my native 1080i display. The Oscars are absolutely awesome. As are the Grammys and the Emmys.

Native 1080i for OTA looks spectacular on a 1080i display, just as it is. No strobing on movement - even super fast movement - no busy-ness in the paint on the walls where it should be still and non-moving, no pastiness of fleshtones, no stairstepping in gradual gradations of light levels that isn't there in the original content after being processed at the studio.

The picture can only get worse when upconverted to 1080p. It may be better when upconverted to 4K on a 4K set, but NO upconversion looks better than native scanrate to native display when it comes to HD.

So here's the deal - if I want to keep my gf of 10 years happy, I can only justify charging money for my 73" CRT till the end of the year. Then it has to go and we get a flat panel into the LR.

So if someone has not stepped forward with a bona fide offer by then, it will be available for no charge. You just come and get it.

This is NO reflection on how I feel about CRT. I consider it still some of the best HD out there, right up there with 1080p and in many cases better. I stand ready to keep all the CRTs alive that I can, from coast to coast. (And in Puerto Rico, if the guy who kept in touch with me for months about his last year is really serious!)

Bring it on. I may not have one myself anymore soon, but I will help others keep theirs alive and looking fabulous for the duration.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 12-25-2019 at 10:35 PM.
post #13487 of 13504 Old 01-02-2020, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
You too!

b

I misspoke (typed) last month. What I actually have is a Pioneer Elite PRO-510HD. I re-soldered the power supply board years and years ago (blue flash issue..) and have never had a problem since. Its in DIRE need of a calibration and cleaning - however I have a nice new 77" OLED now and the wife clearly likes that A LOT better. The 510 is in immaculate condition, no scratches, no real wear, just a lot of use.

If you are interested in it PM me (parts I would imagine), I am in the Bay Area so it would be easy to arrange a transfer. Otherwise I am probably going to need to dump it as I have no place to really keep it anymore.
post #13488 of 13504 Old 01-03-2020, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I actually took in a given away 610 years ago and have been using it ever since for testing. Also fully operational and in cherry condition. Before that time I would resolder the PS boards and send them back to their owners, and had to trust their owners to reinstall them untested.

This allowed me to do the testing in house before returning those boards. Same with the convergence boards. Having a test unit has been very important to keeping all those sets alive that I have been dedicated to.

A 510 would take up less space, since all I use it for is testing. Would you consider a straight across trade?

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 01-28-2020 at 07:41 AM.
post #13489 of 13504 Old 01-03-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I actually took in a given away 610 years ago and have been using it ever since for testing. Also fully operational and in cherry condition. Before that time I would resolder the PS boards and send them back to their owners, and have to trust their owners to reinstall them untested. This allowed me to do the testing in house before returning those boards. Same with the convergence boards. Having a test unit has been very important to keeping all those sets alive that I have been dedicated to.

A 510 would take up less space, since all I use it for is testing. Would you consider a straight across trade?
Could my Sony XBR55X810C 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV
Just be a poor model for upconversation? Or just a terrible thing or defective?? It’s a con not even hdr 10 and was like $1500 msrp retail .
I live to far away to accept a free tv from someone in California. Best of luck

Tesla spoken to them
post #13490 of 13504 Old 01-04-2020, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browningate View Post
You're on it! This is page 450. This has been going since I started it in 2006. It hit the million-view mark a few years ago.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13491 of 13504 Old 01-10-2020, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I probably read this thread for research back when I bought my Mitsubishi Medallion series. I still have it over 15 years later. I like the picture better than plasma or lcd. However, it now seems to jitter or shake, when words are on the TV is when it really shows. Hate to trade it but 4K is tempting and prices of new really are cheap. Can I fix/save this to spend my $$$ on other equipment?

AVR-Rotel RSX-1056
No name DVD player (will upgrade in 2020)
B&W LCR 600 center
B&W DM 604 S3, fronts
Outlaw Audio Ultra X-12, times two!
post #13492 of 13504 Old 01-10-2020, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I'm new to this forum but I will surely stick around. It looks like there is a lot of knowledge on this board. Someone on a different board recommended Mr. Bob in a thread on another forum. It said he was the rear projection tv Guru

Sorry if I'm imposing but I wanted to see if Mr. Bob or any others could help me out. I am an owner of a very small electronics repair business and mostly repair portable electronics devices but I occasionally repair TVs when they come my way. I have never attempted a repair on anything older than the modern flat screen tvs.

I got a call from a really good guy who was calling around to other repair shops to find someone to fix his Toshiba 60+ inch rear projection TV. The model is 61H71. I told him I could come and at least visually inspect the boards looking for any failed components. I didn't see anything that pointed me in the right direction.

The problem with the TV is the image is very scrambled with quickly moving wavy lines all over. No image can be made out whatsoever. The only troubleshooting I did was to inspect the many boards and try a different video source. I didn't have another component cable to try out but he said the cable wouldn't have been touched anytime recently and it looked to be in perfect shape.

I told the guy it would be best for him to find someone who has a lot of experience with these sets. He told me only one local place said they could do it and quoted him $600-$1000 to repair it. He said he is probably just going to throw it out if he can't find someone who can do it for much cheaper.

It is honestly way above my pay grade but I hate to see this guy have to get rid of it. The whole wall where the TV was placed was covered with amazing woodwork with a built in space just for the TV.

I tell all of that background just to ask if there is an obvious problem that I would be able to troubleshoot and repair? I would consider myself good with soldering but diagnosing the problem is obviously the difficult part. Especially on an older TV that I have no experience with. I have some idea where to start but just removing all the different boards is quite the undertaking. I would hate to get them all out only to figure out that I can't find where the problem is. I don't have room in my shop for it so this falls in the in house repair category for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Jeff
post #13493 of 13504 Old 01-11-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2020 View Post
I probably read this thread for research back when I bought my Mitsubishi Medallion series. I still have it over 15 years later. I like the picture better than plasma or lcd. However, it now seems to jitter or shake, when words are on the TV is when it really shows. Hate to trade it but 4K is tempting and prices of new really are cheap. Can I fix/save this to spend my $$$ on other equipment?

I was told plasma were better then dlp , I see people trying to sell dlp at outrageous prices near me lol you need a oled to compete with older technology, led has tons of issues light bleed , clouding , my Sony is terrible at upconversion .

Tesla spoken to them
post #13494 of 13504 Old 01-17-2020, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all! Loooong time and glad to see the thread is still surviving, ha!
So here's another one of those "it's so hard to say good-bye to my working elite posts". lol
My 20 yr old, yes, 20, Pro610, is still kicking strong, after my re-solder, a professional re-solder, and the other board replaced (all many moons ago). I am planning to possibly do one more lens cleaning (thx to a previous consultation with Mr. Bob) but the days are numbered for less than 365 I'm thinking. Why? Because I want an 82" QLED so bad. I love my Pro610 for movies, but let's face it, sports kinda suck compared to today's TVs and it's ONLY 58"!
The dilemma, of course, is the pain in trashing a perfectly working TV. Nobody wants these. Nobody. And with that, here's my search for advice...........
Because this thing will be incredibly difficult to get up the stairs, I'm leaning towards "taking it apart". One big reason is I would love to use the lacquered wood cabinet for some other project. I also have the matching rack but haven't decided what will happen with that. Anyway, has anyone gone down this path? Is there a true market for these parts at all, or is Mr. Bob (Hi Bob!) the only one that may want them still? Of course, I'm not down for paying for shipping anywhere. This is in St. Louis area, btw.
So there's my sad story. I'd love to hear any thoughts or encouragement, lol.
Thx for such a great thread all!
Chet
post #13495 of 13504 Old 01-18-2020, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I still have my 65" Hitachi 51F59 CRT HDTV which was relegated to a bedroom TV some 16 years ago and has been used daily for over 10 hours a day, I fall asleep with it on. The set just will not die. It's outlasted two DLP's, a Samsung 61" from dead pixels and Mitsubishi 82" from a dead color wheel both barely making 5 years.

I'm currently using its eventual replacement in the living room, a 65" Hisense H9F while I wait for an 82" replacement for it worth buying.

The Hitachi is the oldest piece of electronics I have and has outlasted everything, It's just amazing I'm still using it!

Last edited by Mmcguire; 01-18-2020 at 08:56 AM.
post #13496 of 13504 Old 01-28-2020, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Haven't time right now to read the last few posts since my last post, but will a bit later today.

My gf has found someone who will take my set, locally. 2, actually. The first who responded comes over here tonight to get it.

Any last takers here on this thread? I will reserve the right to make sure an AVS CRT videophile takes it if given the chance. But for now, to keep peace in the family it has to go tonight. You have my contact info if you need to reach me pronto.

I will continue to carry on the proud CRT tradition, here and at other threads. I still feel CRT delivers one of the finest pictures on the planet, head and shoulders above many of the formats out there right now. Absent being able to keep it and my gf both, I will enjoy seeing my set go to a new owner who really appreciates it.

I, also, love that this thread is still alive! I simply cannot count the hours I have put into these 450 very full pages over the years since 2006. It's been completely a labor of love tho, and I would not change a minute of it.

I will continue to check in, but am not always notified by AVS of new posts here, which applies to the least few above, I learned about them just now. So if you want to be sure I get the message, contact me directly about any post you want me to see here on this thread and ask me to come over and reply to it. I will.

To your good viewing -

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13497 of 13504 Old 01-28-2020, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2416 Post(s)
Liked: 4661
I miss my 55-inch Sony RPTV every day. Had it calibrated and routinely went through doing convergence on the thing. Razor sharp. A little out of focus toward the corners. Bought it in 2002, I think, in Cincinnati. Had to take the sliding glass door off of the basement to get it in.. and out when we moved to Detroit. Took a lot of work to re-align it once it was in Detroit, but we got it back very close to what it was. Still better than the LCDs we had.

Now, the sad part. We remodeled the basement around the bagged-up Sony. Once complete, there was no way to get the thing out. Wasn't a walk-out basement, this time. Had to leave it when we moved to Tampa. It might still be there. If not, it had to come out in pieces. Pretty sure if it did, it didn't get reassembled, anywhere.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #13498 of 13504 Old 01-28-2020, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2020 View Post

Which input are you using? What model? Could be a gliche happening in only 1 input, in which case you can simply use the other instead.

Or it could be in your source. Do all sources do it, like bluray and cable/satellite both? If only one or the other, it could be in the sending device.

That said, if none of the above it's probably deeply buried in the circuitry, probably a bad cap. Just where along the signal chain would be the challenge. Sometimes caps leak, which is visible, sometimes they smell fishy.

Or you could have a coolant leak onto one of your boards. The boards under the red and green guns I have always been able to save. The one under the blue gun has been the problematical one, as it is a dual layer board. Also if the coolant has gotten under one of the big multi-legged ICs, where you really can't get at it, which would require board replacement.

Hopefully somebody out there is parting out their set, so these no longer available Mit boards have a chance at getting replaced.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #13499 of 13504 Old 01-28-2020, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
I miss my 55-inch Sony RPTV every day. Had it calibrated and routinely went through doing convergence on the thing. Razor sharp. A little out of focus toward the corners. Bought it in 2002, I think, in Cincinnati. Had to take the sliding glass door off of the basement to get it in.. and out when we moved to Detroit. Took a lot of work to re-align it once it was in Detroit, but we got it back very close to what it was. Still better than the LCDs we had.

Now, the sad part. We remodeled the basement around the bagged-up Sony. Once complete, there was no way to get the thing out. Wasn't a walk-out basement, this time. Had to leave it when we moved to Tampa. It might still be there. If not, it had to come out in pieces. Pretty sure if it did, it didn't get reassembled, anywhere.

Doc
Don -

I feel your pain. Wish my fully calibrated and "pimped-out" (words of thread participants here, not mine) 73" Mit could have gone to you!

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 01-28-2020 at 02:11 PM.
post #13500 of 13504 Old 01-28-2020, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Arnold View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum but I will surely stick around. It looks like there is a lot of knowledge on this board. Someone on a different board recommended Mr. Bob in a thread on another forum. It said he was the rear projection tv Guru

Sorry if I'm imposing but I wanted to see if Mr. Bob or any others could help me out. I am an owner of a very small electronics repair business and mostly repair portable electronics devices but I occasionally repair TVs when they come my way. I have never attempted a repair on anything older than the modern flat screen tvs.

I got a call from a really good guy who was calling around to other repair shops to find someone to fix his Toshiba 60+ inch rear projection TV. The model is 61H71. I told him I could come and at least visually inspect the boards looking for any failed components. I didn't see anything that pointed me in the right direction.

The problem with the TV is the image is very scrambled with quickly moving wavy lines all over. No image can be made out whatsoever. The only troubleshooting I did was to inspect the many boards and try a different video source. I didn't have another component cable to try out but he said the cable wouldn't have been touched anytime recently and it looked to be in perfect shape.

I told the guy it would be best for him to find someone who has a lot of experience with these sets. He told me only one local place said they could do it and quoted him $600-$1000 to repair it. He said he is probably just going to throw it out if he can't find someone who can do it for much cheaper.

It is honestly way above my pay grade but I hate to see this guy have to get rid of it. The whole wall where the TV was placed was covered with amazing woodwork with a built in space just for the TV.

I tell all of that background just to ask if there is an obvious problem that I would be able to troubleshoot and repair? I would consider myself good with soldering but diagnosing the problem is obviously the difficult part. Especially on an older TV that I have no experience with. I have some idea where to start but just removing all the different boards is quite the undertaking. I would hate to get them all out only to figure out that I can't find where the problem is. I don't have room in my shop for it so this falls in the in house repair category for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Jeff
So sorry, wish I could help you, but I found Toshiba's to be very technician UNfriendly. I don't ever repair them aside from convergence repairs, where I do nearly all brands. Your set is losing sync. Good luck -

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
convergence , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite , pioneer sd-p5181-k , Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page