Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 452 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 79Likes

post #13531 of 13535 Old 06-22-2020, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Yes. Contact me directly and we will set up an appointment. You won't believe the difference it will make.

And welcome to the AVS!

Are you aware of Craig's tunable crispness mod? Only certain sets can use it, depending on the design. It involves an IC in your CRT socket cards, and which IC was used in your model.

Did a great job on my 73", giving me the max amount of crispness without worrying about getting into Sharpness/edge enhancement considerations. My thanks to Craig for that. Let me know if you would like that done also.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Last edited by Mr Bob; 06-22-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13532 of 13535 Old 06-30-2020, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Cathode tubes

I recall from some years back that there is a company which still sells new cathode tubes. I'm curious how much they would be for my WS 65813.

9 inchers.

Is the crispness mod applicable to the 65813, and is published somewhere?

With regards to OLED, besides issues of burn-in, doesn't the brightness of the LEDs begin to fade (at first imperceptibly) as soon as you start using it? This to me is the advantage of what will be coming… Either emissive QLED, or emissive micro LED, both of which are inorganic and more stable.

So you don't like QLED in its present form, that is, as backlighting?

If you were going to get an OLED today, what would you buy? You know that Vizio is just about to release one?

Update:

Just watched a very interesting video about reliability between different televisions, and it appears that OLED televisions as a category are more reliable than any LCD (including QLED variance) televisions. But I expect that to change when emissive QLED and emissive Micro LED hit the market. Emissive technology is far simpler in terms of circuitry than the multiple sandwiched layers of LCD.

Last edited by taichi4; 07-02-2020 at 07:28 AM.
post #13533 of 13535 Old 07-09-2020, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pioneer Elite 53"Pro HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
Yes. Contact me directly and we will set up an appointment. You won't believe the difference it will make.

And welcome to the AVS!

Are you aware of Craig's tunable crispness mod? Only certain sets can use it, depending on the design. It involves an IC in your CRT socket cards, and which IC was used in your model.

Did a great job on my 73", giving me the max amount of crispness without worrying about getting into Sharpness/edge enhancement considerations. My thanks to Craig for that. Let me know if you would like that done also.

Bob it's Chad from Wisconsin you came to my house to calibrate my Pioneer Elite 53" HD Pro Rear Projection TV many years ago. The set has worked perfectly since day one and the only repair that has ever been done was the blue gun board was replaced under warranty for a blue streak issue that I only seen one time. I'm contacting you because I have no clue what to do with this wonderful set now that I broke down and ordered a Sony 65" OLED to watch Ultra HD 4K. I love the Pioneer and you told me never to get rid of it. Now it needs a new home and I'm not sure how I would go about selling this perfect looking fully calibrated RPTV in 2020. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13534 of 13535 Old 07-10-2020, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Since virtually nobody is paying for these sets anymore no matter how good the condition, you will most likely be having to give it away. I had a pleasant surprise yesterday when a long term client of mine, a virtuoso pianist who loves his music so much it hurts, told me he would have paid me $500 for the 73" set I gave away a couple months ago. Astounding, wish I had known that at the time! Some people are still totally loyal to the look and feel of CRT! I am one of them, that has never changed, and won't. That said, unfortunately among the populace we are a very small number these days.

I would suggest you go to the For Sale section of AVS, right here, and list it there. Free or for $1. Or for more if you think you can get it.

There are threads here on AVS that center on CRT and its marvelous appeal. This is one of them, but there are others. Just search them out here. Unfortunately if you try to push it or sell it in any other thread than the For Sale section, AVS admin will come down on you like a ton of bricks. So be careful.

Many churches have overflow rooms for their congregations, when the main areas get full. Contact the larger churches in your area, where they have space for such TVs as this.

Wish I could take her! But my place is not one of those lavish places where you can put things all over the place. And my gf makes sure it stays that way - not unbig, just uncluttered...

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 07-10-2020 at 08:47 AM.
post #13535 of 13535 Old 07-10-2020, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
I recall from some years back that there is a company which still sells new cathode tubes. I'm curious how much they would be for my WS 65813.

9 inchers.

Is the crispness mod applicable to the 65813, and is published somewhere?
The creator/author is Craig Rounds, contact him. He wrote a white paper on it. You might be able to find that white paper on the net without having to track him down. I would search his name and white paper, and "crispness mod".

Quote:
With regards to OLED, besides issues of burn-in, doesn't the brightness of the LEDs begin to fade (at first imperceptibly) as soon as you start using it? This to me is the advantage of what will be coming… Either emissive QLED, or emissive micro LED, both of which are inorganic and more stable.
I would think that happens with all modalities.

Quote:
So you don't like QLED in its present form, that is, as backlighting?
Not familiar with it. I am a pure blacks man. Only OLED brings that off. QLED might be just fine. They do tout massively wider color availability than other modalities.

Quote:
If you were going to get an OLED today, what would you buy? You know that Vizio is just about to release one?
Already got mine. Would have prefered something in the 85" range, but price and gf made sure that didn't happen. Anything over 65" and you pay a huge amount more, it is not linearly symmetrical at all, money to price. A 65" will be one price, a 75" will be significantly more than 20% over that.

Update:

Quote:
Just watched a very interesting video about reliability between different televisions, and it appears that OLED televisions as a category are more reliable than any LCD (including QLED variance) televisions. But I expect that to change when emissive QLED and emissive Micro LED hit the market. Emissive technology is far simpler in terms of circuitry than the multiple sandwiched layers of LCD.
Cool!

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
convergence , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite , pioneer sd-p5181-k , Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page