SXRD "GREEN" AT STARTUP - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: SXRD "GREEN" AT STARTUP
Yes, I do have some at startup, but it goes away quickly. 69 29.36%
Yes, I do have some at startup, but never really goes away, but doesn't affect active picture. 20 8.51%
Yes, I do have some at startup and it does affect active picture. 42 17.87%
No, none at all...Never had it. 104 44.26%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 81 Old 11-14-2006, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am just curious...who has "green" at startup on their SXRDs.

Last years and/or this years models.

How bad and how long before it goes away...if it does.

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 11-14-2006, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Please also post comments and details.

post #3 of 81 Old 11-14-2006, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

You have stated numerous times that your replacement XBR1 is near "perfect". Why then are you (still) so concerned/obsessed about this?

I am obsessed...SO WHAT?
I am just curious if the XBR2's or A2000's have similar warm-up problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 Old 11-14-2006, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

The poll is not specific about whether it applies to the XBR1, A2000 or XBR2 so how are you going to know to which TV the votes apply to?

People can write comments to which model they have.

post #5 of 81 Old 11-14-2006, 01:47 PM

Liked: 10
I've got an August build KDS50A2000 and I see green in the center when I first start it up. Goes away very quickly though; I'd say less than 2 min.
post #6 of 81 Old 11-14-2006, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
XBR1 Dec 2005 build.

I have been blob free since April, however a couple of weeks ago I watched Sin City and noticed the green blob has come back to haunt me.

Last night I did some testing and now know that I have green blob at startup, turns into a green haze in lower right part of screen and stays there for up to an hour. now here's the strange part of this miss. Sometime from 1 to 2 hours the green haze in the right corner disappears completely and reappears close to the middle of the screen and another blob/haze appears in the upper right part of the screen.

I am really disappointed as I had many of these XBR1's (all with quality problems) and this one by far had the best black level. I have seen purple blacks, blacks with colors or light leaks in the corner, etc. But this one was pretty true black and very good contrast. These green hazes are very noticeable in b/w programming, not so much in regular color programming. Now the choice I must face is play the OB replacement game or try for a XBR2 replacement. I would prefer to just keep the set I have (I love the picture) but this green haze is a very real problem.
post #7 of 81 Old 11-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
A2000 July 2006 build.

I do notice a little green haze as it boots (if I bring up a gray background immediately with certain shades of gray), though this haze disappears in about 30 seconds. It looks like a normal warm-up sequence to me. I don't notice this haze on bright white backgrounds. So far I don't think i have the green glob, but I am glad I have an extended service plan from a store I trust.
post #8 of 81 Old 11-14-2006, 02:35 PM

I have only had the TV for 3 dyas but nothign noticed yet
post #9 of 81 Old 11-14-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor666 View Post

I have only had the TV for 3 dyas but nothign noticed yet

give it time. 100% of the sxrd have the design defect know as the green glob or green blob. Give the temp and aging it will appear like a massive green coffee stain in the middle of your screen.
post #10 of 81 Old 11-14-2006, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have a june 2006 build 50" xbr1. I get the green warm up, but it's all is gone and clear and bright after 30-45 seconds.

The only thing I hate is myself, for not buying the 60". I love this tv so much, that even though I have a extended warranty. I'm willing to buy two new lamps, incase sony goes under. Because noticeing the trouble with the ps3 and other troubleing news about sony. There might not be a sony in the future.

Samsung UN49KS8000

LG 55EC9300

LG OLED65C6P
post #11 of 81 Old 11-15-2006, 06:31 AM

I have the KDS55A2000. July build. Had the green blob and after 1.5 hours it was still there. Sony replaced the optical block and now it is gone. Even when I first turn it on. I have a problem with peoples faces being to green though so something is still wrong.
post #12 of 81 Old 11-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

As I said in another thread, I have had my 50''XBR1 for 11 months and thought I was "color uniformity issue" free. About a month ago, was when I first noticed it. Its like a green haze in the lower left and right portions of the screen (the middle is perfect). It's not very noticable (yet) except on B&W movies. It doesnt bother me yet enough to call service and play that game. So, I'v decided to waite a few months, sell it, and buy a new 60''XBR2 if I dont hear of any problems. I figure if no one on the XBR2 owner's thread complaines about "green blobs" after, say, December, it should be safe to buy.
post #13 of 81 Old 11-15-2006, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Aug build 60A2000. Was an issue for the first month but now it is almost gone after warm up. Cooking it at full power for a few days seemed to make it mature enough to not be a major problem. Not perfect, mind you, but not the issue it was when the set was new.

Richard.
post #14 of 81 Old 11-15-2006, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feirstein View Post

Aug build 60A2000. Was an issue for the first month but now it is almost gone after warm up. Cooking it at full power for a few days seemed to make it mature enough to not be a major problem. Not perfect, mind you, but not the issue it was when the set was new.

Richard.

How long does it take for it to go away, say, on a grey screen?

post #15 of 81 Old 11-15-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

How long does it take for it to go away, say, on a grey screen?

it never goes away....it was and always will be there. Its a product of the defective sxrd technology. If not there today......a little age and the right temperature and you got yourself a nice green hazey coffee stain in the center of your screen known as the green glob. Best to get something decent like the 2007 1080p dlps.
post #16 of 81 Old 11-17-2006, 11:37 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

bump

I don't understand why you open up this can of worms and then complain to the moderators when you start getting negative responses.
post #17 of 81 Old 11-17-2006, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
None, never had it. I think I might be able to see a hint of it when I first turn on, go to Memory Stick screen, but by the time i dial the color down to 0 it looks perfectly uniform. This is before it's at full brightness. Nothing visible in either B&W (Mr Smith Goes to Washington was on HD a month or so ago) or white backgrounds (March of the Penguins).

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #18 of 81 Old 11-18-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nats View Post

As I said in another thread, I have had my 50''XBR1 for 11 months and thought I was "color uniformity issue" free. About a month ago, was when I first noticed it. Its like a green haze in the lower left and right portions of the screen (the middle is perfect). It's not very noticable (yet) except on B&W movies. It doesnt bother me yet enough to call service and play that game. So, I'v decided to waite a few months, sell it, and buy a new 60''XBR2 if I dont hear of any problems. I figure if no one on the XBR2 owner's thread complaines about "green blobs" after, say, December, it should be safe to buy.

as you have discovered all sxrds have the green glob design defect. Sometimes its only apparent for the first few hours of on, but eventually it will be there 100% of the time and no matter how many times you replace the light engine, it will aways return. the sony fanatics learn to live with it as part of their loyaty rationalization

The sony suffers from the design defect known as the green glob or green blob. It is a green hazey donut shap in the center of the screen that is a result of the defective sxrd technology they use. As the pixel lenses are so close together they cannot control the spacing over age and temperature and the results is unwanted refractions around the edges resulting in the color distortion and that is readily apparent on white backgrounds. 100% of the set have the flaw. the sony fanantic learn to live with it. Do yourself a favor and get something decent like the 2007 1080ps DLPs
post #19 of 81 Old 11-20-2006, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I don't understand why you open up this can of worms and then complain to the moderators when you start getting negative responses.

I've never complained to the moderators!

post #20 of 81 Old 11-20-2006, 09:49 AM

i have a greenish blob but it's only noticeable when the screen is black. this is a september build. not sure if i should replace it. suggestions?
post #21 of 81 Old 11-20-2006, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vksf01 View Post

i have a greenish blob but it's only noticeable when the screen is black. this is a september build. not sure if i should replace it. suggestions?

What about a grey or white screen?

post #22 of 81 Old 11-20-2006, 10:50 AM

i haven't had a chance to look at it on a plain white screen. i'll pop in DVE this evening and see if i can see it. i only noticed it last night (i've only had the tv for a week) when i was watching "slither" which has a lot of really dark scenes
post #23 of 81 Old 11-20-2006, 10:59 AM

Mine has some greens and purples when it starts up, goes away after 2 or 3 minutes. Then I dont notice any uniformity problems, not even on the gray auto program screen.

The manual states that the TV may show some color problems unti its warmed up. Not worried about it at all.
post #24 of 81 Old 11-20-2006, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

i have the 60xbr2 no start up green
post #25 of 81 Old 11-20-2006, 04:20 PM

I had the green blob when it started. And while it dimmed after an hour of on, it was still there. After reading some much negative about it, I returned the Sony and got a DLP 1080P. The DLP is fantastic. I had no idea it was so much better then the Sony.
post #26 of 81 Old 11-20-2006, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffblue View Post

I had the green blob when it started. And while it dimmed after an hour of on, it was still there. After reading some much negative about it, I returned the Sony and got a DLP 1080P. The DLP is fantastic. I had no idea it was so much better then the Sony.

post #27 of 81 Old 11-20-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 View Post

i have the 60xbr2 no start up green

I turned an XBR2 off and on at Circuit City and the startup was exactly the same. Its a function of the SXRD panels and every SXRD TV and projector I've seen takes a few minutes to warm up to full brightness. Until then the dim lamp makes for uneven coloring on the screen.
post #28 of 81 Old 11-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Z0p

Liked: 11
I spoke too soon. Like GhettoD I now see purple and green at startup, but only for a short time. Never noticed this before, but when starting on a channel with just snow, it was plainly visible. No green problem after a couple of minutes tho...
post #29 of 81 Old 11-21-2006, 10:05 AM

unfortunately, this is the 3rd tv i've had in as many weeks. i had 2 jvc dilas, the first one i returned because there was a fly inside the screen (!!!) , the 2nd one had a fan that was way too loud (the first one had a loud fan too, although not as loud as the 2nd), and decided to switch to the sony. i can't go dlp because i see rainbows....

so, my set has the green blobs on a white screen as well as black scenes. trying to decide if i should call the repair guy in, since videoonly is probably tired of me returning every tv i get.

question to all of you who've had their optical blocks replaced. what did you tell the repair guy was wrong with the tv? did you just say "i have a green blob"?

thanks

vk

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffblue View Post

post #30 of 81 Old 11-21-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I have a green cast in the middle of my screen that is visible during viewing (on gray/off-white backgrounds and some faces). It lasts for more than an hour, and sometimes it seems to last several hours. It does seem to eventually go away, but I can't give a definitive length of time that it takes. It definitely seems longer than a warm-up issue if others say theirs is gone in the first few minutes.

I've had the TV for nearly two months now. I don't think it is getting any better with age, but it is not getting worse either. I know I should probably look into getting it fixed, but I'm afraid my TV will end up worse in other departments (i.e., black level or overall sharpness/alignment). Aside from the green cast, the PQ is incredible.

Oh yeah, this is an August 60A2000.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page