Official Sony KDS-XXA3000 OWNERS THREAD! - Page 514 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #15391 of 15408 Old 08-26-2018, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
She's been a good set for 12 years.

Alas her time has come I believe. Evening tv watching was great, not so much during the day because of my open bright living room, but I didn't watch much daytime tv anyways.
The sound stays on but the bulb turns on for a few minutes then turns off for around 30 seconds(30 green blinks) then powers back up for a few minutes. This cycles continually. Wife told me to get a new tv so I will part this out if someone needs parts.
I'm in Santa Rosa, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15392 of 15408 Old 08-31-2018, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am actively trying to commit the perfect crime against my KDS60a3K . Incredibly, it has proven completely resilient - one bulb replacement, no green blobs, red lights, overscans, errors, and the picture still fools people into thinking it's a high quality LCD set. SXRD really was a superior tech (I guess with sony VPL they still think it is).

Now that I'm 10 years out from the last TV purchase, I'm toying with the idea of buying a 77" LG C8 OLED. Is there a seller's market for these KDS sets (or any older displays?). I'd honestly settle for a couple of hundred $ to have it and the nice glass/metal stand it sits on taken away.
KC-Technerd likes this.
post #15393 of 15408 Old 08-31-2018, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I'm still quite pleased with my KDS-60A3000 as well. I think one of the advantages of SXRD is superior pixel fill, particularly when compared with direct view technology. Certainly less noticeable with a "4k" display than 1080, direct view only comes close to filing a pixel when white or gray is being displayed. A primary color (red, green, blue) only fills less than 1/3rd of a pixel, leaving the rest black. I think that is what gives SXRD projection more of a film like quality, since it almost perfectly fills each pixel regardless of the color being displayed. A 77" C8 is EXTREMELY tempting, or even a Sony X900F. However I find the issues of ABL limiting, burn in (OLED), breathing blooming and spotlighting from local dimming (LED), and the annual improvements in peak brightness and color gamut all reasons for me to wait a little longer to jump on the 4k HDR bandwagon. I've always left the advanced iris on the A3000 fixed (normally at low) and never used the Auto settings because I find brightness breathing extremely irritating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15394 of 15408 Old 02-21-2019, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I finally said goodbye to my KDS-50A3000 after 10+ years. It served me well, but I was getting tired of the black levels. I really enjoy watching movies with the lights dimmed or off, and the relatively high black levels were getting noticeable. After a hectic holiday season into the new year, I splurged on a new TV (LG C8 OLED 55", still as big as I can hang onto in my current space). I donated the A3000 to some local place that would pick it up. I'm not 100% sure if they'll end up recycling it or find a home for it. Kind of an unceremonious goodbye now that I think about it.

Anyway, I have 2 extra bulbs for the KDS-50A3000 if anyone wants them. The place that picked up the TV didn't take the bulbs. Just PM me if you want them.
Brian Hampton and kateyes like this.
post #15395 of 15408 Old 02-22-2019, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildclubsauce View Post
I finally said goodbye to my KDS-50A3000 after 10+ years. It served me well, but I was getting tired of the black levels. I really enjoy watching movies with the lights dimmed or off, and the relatively high black levels were getting noticeable. After a hectic holiday season into the new year, I splurged on a new TV (LG C8 OLED 55", still as big as I can hang onto in my current space).
I'm having the same feelings about my KDS-60A3000. The high black levels are noticeable. I still love how well it otherwise replicates the look of projected film, and the color rendition it provides. I'm torn between the Sony X900F and the C8 as far as currently available units. I fear that flashlighting and breathing blacklighting resulting from the FALD on the X900F would be noticeable enough to be irritating on the X900F. I'm extremely sensitive to either, and I'd rather put up with consistently high black levels. The big issue with the C8 is cost, but it had a scene to scene brightness breathing issue too, that supposedly has been firmware fixed now. I keep thinking maybe I should hold onto my A3000 to let the HDR technology mature a bit more, but it is temping to get something that will take advantage of the capabilities of my Oppo UDP-203.
post #15396 of 15408 Old 02-24-2019, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I'm having the same feelings about my KDS-60A3000. The high black levels are noticeable. I still love how well it otherwise replicates the look of projected film, and the color rendition it provides. I'm torn between the Sony X900F and the C8 as far as currently available units. I fear that flashlighting and breathing blacklighting resulting from the FALD on the X900F would be noticeable enough to be irritating on the X900F. I'm extremely sensitive to either, and I'd rather put up with consistently high black levels. The big issue with the C8 is cost, but it had a scene to scene brightness breathing issue too, that supposedly has been firmware fixed now. I keep thinking maybe I should hold onto my A3000 to let the HDR technology mature a bit more, but it is temping to get something that will take advantage of the capabilities of my Oppo UDP-203.
Not really trying to push you over the edge, but I replaced my Sony 60 with the LG 65 C8. I'm glad I waited as long as I did and I think that whenever you decide to take the plunge, you will too. The colors on the Sony I thought were good, the LG is great. I still have my sony and I would also suggest the LG B8 since the reviews state it's close the C8. The deals thread has a bunch of them right now if you're tempted. Either way the sony was a good set.
KC-Technerd likes this.
post #15397 of 15408 Old 02-24-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J__Chris View Post
Not really trying to push you over the edge, but I replaced my Sony 60 with the LG 65 C8..
Thanks! I appreciate the opinion of anyone who has gone from from the A3000 to the Sony X900F or the LG 8 series. I'm hoping to go at least 70" as my KDS-60A3000 was a compromise. It replaced a KDF-70XBR950 when the KDS-Z70XBR5 that I was really hoping for was cancelled. The 77" LG or the 85" Sony are very tempting. And now there's the 82" Samsung Q900 8K that the AVSForum reviewer thinks is the best TV ever. I recommended a Samsung KS8000 to a friend a couple of years back based on what I read about it at the time. Some of the menu limitations on it and the obviously changing backlighting are rather annoying to me, and I'm glad I didn't buy one for myself, which leaves me with doubts about the new one as well.
post #15398 of 15408 Old 02-26-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Thanks! I appreciate the opinion of anyone who has gone from from the A3000 to the Sony X900F or the LG 8 series. I'm hoping to go at least 70" as my KDS-60A3000 was a compromise. It replaced a KDF-70XBR950 when the KDS-Z70XBR5 that I was really hoping for was cancelled. The 77" LG or the 85" Sony are very tempting. And now there's the 82" Samsung Q900 8K that the AVSForum reviewer thinks is the best TV ever. I recommended a Samsung KS8000 to a friend a couple of years back based on what I read about it at the time. Some of the menu limitations on it and the obviously changing backlighting are rather annoying to me, and I'm glad I didn't buy one for myself, which leaves me with doubts about the new one as well.
My 2 cents: Went to XBR-65X900F more than a month ago, after KDS-60A3000 (used for more than decade) developed vertical blinking lines. While X900F is "step up" in technology, all the issues are annoying enough on X900F, that so far it's difficult (for me) to watch something and really enjoy it as it was/is possible with A3000. Still run A3000 in other room for comparison. No question, time spent with A3000 allowed to ignore the problems of A3000, so would expect similar effect with X900F.

Primarily - and don't know why yet - I would consider relative upscaling quality (which a lot of people consider very good on X900F) and picture envelopment (cleanness?) of A3000 much better than X900F at "similar direction" of the settings. Still working on them thou.

Also, while bad viewing angle of X900F is "advertised", but (to me) A3000 has much better consistency of picture at different horizontal viewing angles. Even if some qualities of a picture are probably better on X900F at a "bad" angle. But inconsistency between sides of the screen, even moving from one seat to another (at ~6m from screen), is very visible on X900F. X900F also has very visible work of local dimming. While on some inside shots some wall on A3000 may look like constantly lit by light in adjacent room, but with X900F it looks like somebody is flipping the light switch constantly. Known issue of "dirty" corners of the X900F also does not help to enjoy the picture.

What would mention as pluses (to me) versus A3000 - 65X900F supports fixed pixel mode, and supports 25/50 frames per second and (at least partially) PAL.

In general, I think, Sony has that special ingredient, which makes TV picture good/better than others, so may be higher end Sony model in a year or so, would be a good next step from KDS-..A3000 for a decade to come.
KC-Technerd likes this.
post #15399 of 15408 Old 02-27-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oog500 View Post
X900F also has very visible work of local dimming. While on some inside shots some wall on A3000 may look like constantly lit by light in adjacent room, but with X900F it looks like somebody is flipping the light switch constantly. Known issue of "dirty" corners of the X900F also does not help to enjoy the picture.

What would mention as pluses (to me) versus A3000 - 65X900F supports fixed pixel mode, and supports 25/50 frames per second and (at least partially) PAL.
The local dimming/variable backlighting is what I'm particularly concerned about bothering me, and might drive me to an LG OLED. The X900Fs seem fine in the store, but I'm wondering what it will look like in a dark viewing environment. What really bothers me on other sets is the backlighting looking as if someone is quickly turning a dimmer knob up and down. Go to a black screen and a quarter of a second later the backlighting dims. Go back to a bright scene and a quarter of a second later the backlighting brightens, like someone trying to manually react to it by turning the knob up and down. I've avoided using the auto iris settings on the A3000 for this reason. I also don't like seeing flashlighting effect around white titles on a black screen. The black level needs to be reasonably consistent, not high in a splotch around the titles and low everywhere else.

I'm not sure what you mean by "supports fixed pixel mode." If you mean 1:1 pixel mapping (or 1:4 pixel mapping in the the case of 1080p to 4k), I have my A3000 set for 1:1 1080p mapping and it tests correctly.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 02-27-2019 at 06:44 PM.
post #15400 of 15408 Old 02-28-2019, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
The local dimming/variable backlighting is what I'm particularly concerned about bothering me, and might drive me to an LG OLED. The X900Fs seem fine in the store, but I'm wondering what it will look like in a dark viewing environment. What really bothers me on other sets is the backlighting looking as if someone is quickly turning a dimmer knob up and down. Go to a black screen and a quarter of a second later the backlighting dims. Go back to a bright scene and a quarter of a second later the backlighting brightens, like someone trying to manually react to it by turning the knob up and down. I've avoided using the auto iris settings on the A3000 for this reason. I also don't like seeing flashlighting effect around white titles on a black screen. The black level needs to be reasonably consistent, not high in a splotch around the titles and low everywhere else.

I'm not sure what you mean by "supports fixed pixel mode." If you mean 1:1 pixel mapping (or 1:4 pixel mapping in the the case of 1080p to 4k), I have my A3000 set for 1:1 1080p mapping and it tests correctly.
One thing I want to point, that so far local dimming issue was mostly bothering me while watching dark "inside" scenes of "Game of Thrones", but not multiple other movies in darkened environment. So may be it's combination of some TV issue and specific source material. Still - I wasn't expecting local dimming to be so slow. But even if slow, I was expecting, that local dimming should have many levels, so would have very gradual change, and not too noticeable even if delayed. But to me it looks like when it's bad, it's like going from on to off and back after slight change of lighting in dark scenes.

What is related to my use of term "fixed pixel mode" and A3000 my main problem is, that while when Display area is set to "Normal" in Screen settings, pixel mapping is 1:1, but the picture is zoomed-in/cropped. I may not be using term correctly to express an issue I had with A3000.
post #15401 of 15408 Old 02-28-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oog500 View Post
What is related to my use of term "fixed pixel mode" and A3000 my main problem is, that while when Display area is set to "Normal" in Screen settings, pixel mapping is 1:1, but the picture is zoomed-in/cropped. I may not be using term correctly to express an issue I had with A3000.
Thanks! I do understand what you're talking about. I think the most applicable term for it is "overscan" even though that is technically more appropriate for CRT displays. The SXRD chips on the A3000 (and all other Sony SXRD rear projection units) do produce the full 1080x1920 pixels of the image and they are fully projected by the optical system, but the full 1080x1920 image is intentionally projected inside the cabinet slightly larger than the screen size in order to both fill the entire screen with image, and to help hide the slight geometric distortion of the image that most, if not all of the sets had (not as obvious when the edges of the image aren't visible). I think it would have been a tricky and expensive operation to get the optics and the shape of the cabinet so precise as to eliminate any possible geometric distortion and precisely align the edges of the 1080x1920 projected image to the edge of the screen. However, I continue to be amazed at how precisely the images from the three tiny SXRD chips are aligned. Convergence is well within a pixel everywhere on my screen.

Direct view displays certainly have the advantage on geometric accuracy of the image, and displaying every last one of the 1080x1920 pixels available for the image. However I still think SXRD projection produces an image that more closely resembles projected film. I attribute the reason for that to a difference that I've seen little discussed, that being the difference in pixel fill. At best, a direct view set will fill less than 1/3 of the space of pixel with image when that pixel is displaying a primary color. It will fill less than 2/3 of the pixel space when that pixel is displaying a secondary color. The remainder of the pixel space remains black. With SXRD each pixel is almost completely filled with whatever color it is displaying. I think our A3000s are supposed to have approximately 92% pixel fill. I don't think any other technology has topped that.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 02-28-2019 at 05:32 PM.
post #15402 of 15408 Old 03-12-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is a great example of what I hate about the new backlight dimming TVs.

post #15403 of 15408 Old 06-02-2019, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vertical yellow lines every 48 pixels

My Dec 2007 set is finally showing its age. Has developed a set of vertical yellow lines -- not over the entire display, but regularly spaced. My estimate is that there is a vertical column every 48 pixels. Seems to suggest a problem with a red data line of some sort. Turning off the TV sometimes fixes the problem for a short while, and sometimes they go away on their own. I'll just live with it for awhile as my next purchase is considered, but posting here in case anyone has a magic solution they can share. I don't think it's a loose connector (nothing indicates that any kind of motion impacts the lines coming or going), but I'm open to ideas. I put in a new bulb just 8 months ago, so I would like to get some more time out if it if I can.

FYI, I did try and take a peek for any loose connections. With the front screen removed, I could see the TV image in the back mirror. I though it'd see if it needed any dusting (it did not visually appear to need it - no obvious signs of dust). But there must have been a thin build-up of some sort of film over the mirror, because wherever I wiped, the reflection went dark. Net result was that the picture quality improved dramatically -- much brighter and sharper. I'm assuming that the mirror had lost some of its reflective and was scattering some the light due to whatever was built-up on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv-vertical-lines.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	2574934  

Last edited by qodfathr; 06-02-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: forgot to add a title
post #15404 of 15408 Old 06-02-2019, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by qodfathr View Post
My Dec 2007 set is finally showing its age.
I too am still using this set on a daily basis. Last week though I was considering selling it on craigslist, but strangely that same night the bulb went pop on me forcing me to purchase a new philips ultrabright. I still do not see any image degradation though, so I am now not so concerned with a new TV. Going to wait for the Vizio P-series Quantum to drop in price now, like the 2018 model TV's did. Maybe this time next year I will finally replace it with a decently priced TV around $600 or so. It's now been about 5 years since I last opened this SXRD and cleaned the mirror, so maybe I should take this opportunity and do it again. I can't wait to be rid of having to replace Lamps every 2.75 years.

Good luck with your search on a new model to replace it with. Its nice to see others still using this set.

Last edited by SkOrPn; 06-02-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added a quote
post #15405 of 15408 Old 06-02-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by qodfathr View Post
My Dec 2007 set is finally showing its age.
I too am still using this set on a daily basis. Last week though I was considering selling it on craigslist, but strangely that same night the bulb went pop on me forcing me to purchase a new philips ultrabright. I still do not see any image degradation though, so I am now not so concerned with a new TV. Going to wait for the Vizio P-series Quantum to drop in price now, like the 2018 model TV's did. Maybe this time next year I will finally replace it with a decently priced TV around $600 or so. It's now been about 5 years since I last opened this SXRD and cleaned the mirror, so maybe I should take this opportunity and do it again. I can't wait to be rid of having to replace Lamps every 2.75 years.

Good luck with your search on a new model to replace it with. Its nice to see others still using this set.
I’m actively trying to murder my set now and it still gives no sign of wear- bought late 2007 I believe, making it older than my oldest child.

I’ve given up - so I’m going to crack it open, clean it up, buy a lamp, and start a full on emotional relationship with it as a vintage piece to put in the kids playroom.

I did buy a 65” OLED E8 / hope it holds up to the hype- SXRD served me well!
SkOrPn likes this.
post #15406 of 15408 Old 07-22-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've finally ordered a 65" LG C9 although my KDS-60A3000 continues to perform well. My only problems with it are the elevated and bluish black levels and an intermittent and barely perceptible flickering of the lamp with power saving turned on. I wish current HDR technology could take advantage of its expanded color gamut and brightness range.

I'm undecided what to do with the A3000. I don't really want to dispose of it, but I don't really have a good place to keep it either.
post #15407 of 15408 Old 07-22-2019, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm undecided what to do with the A3000. I don't really want to dispose of it, but I don't really have a good place to keep it either.

There's always Craig's List. Let someone else enjoy the experience that is SXRD.
post #15408 of 15408 Old 07-23-2019, 06:47 PM

Liked: 0
I just took the same plunge.... gave the KDS-60A3000 away and purchased an LG C9 on Greentoe. Certainly don't miss the bluish blacks (the hype about the OLED blacks is real) and HDR / 4k is awesome! But our A3000's really hold their own regarding colors and brightness (and the smoothness when a sports or movie scene pans across the screen).

Will miss it for sure... that A3000 was definitely one of the best purchases I ever made! But it was time.

If you are on the fence I'd say go for it. You've been staring at bluish blacks for 10 years... treat yourself! :-) But be forewarned that these new sets with HDMI ARC connectivity and ATMOS capabilities will also smoke out that your AVR is outdated too!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Displays , KDS-55A3000 , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page