Sony 34XBR960 Anti-Glare Coating Removal - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #121 of 123 Old 12-17-2018, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Any of you guys still enjoying your 960/960N tv sets?
It never worked out for me but I'm still enjoying my free Panny version (CT-34WX50); My BF worked at a Kenwood audio distributor that used it for trade shows, so other than getting a little banged around from being shipped all over the country it hardly got any use. No painful anti-glare film or weird power supply management chips problem to deal with but I sure would have liked a built-in OTA tuner and HDMI (or DVI); I suspect I wouldn't have noticed much difference with the SFP tube at this size unless I was sitting real close (ex: gaming). Also, I can't find much forum discussion out there on the web on the Panny.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 123 Old 01-15-2019, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
I have four sony trinitrons in this room. 2 x 34xbr960(FILM REMINDED) , apple studio monitor 21", 27FS100L

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

JVC RS400, Denon X6300H, Klipsch RP-280F x 2, RP-450C, RB-51 II x 2, RS-42 II x 2, RB-41 II x 2, R-150M in 7.1.4, 150" Silver Ticket
LG 65C7, Denon X4300H, Klipsch RF-26 x 2, RC-52 II, Onkyo speakers in 5.1.4 setup
TCL 55P605, Klipsch 2.1 Certified THX speakers
Sony 34XBR960 x 2

Last edited by Bahn Yuki; 01-15-2019 at 05:11 PM.
post #123 of 123 Old 01-27-2019, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@ GeneralLight Thanks so much for your posts on this topic. The information you provided gave me the confidence to do this, and it was pretty darn easy following your instructions. I completed the job in maybe 30-40 minutes total. Pulling the front bezel forward to remove the film was made much easier because of the specific information about the screws and clips you provided. Also, I was able to do this without moving the TV from it's stand, which is important considering this thing is over 200 lbs.

For anyone else who is considering doing this, I highly recommend taking off the front bezel as recommended by GeneralLight. I started by attempting to cut around the edges with a razor blade so as to avoid taking apart the TV. The problem is that the film is pretty thick and stiff, and getting the peeling started is damn near impossible. What's worse, I can easily imagine someone trying the razor blade method, failing, and having permanent damage to their viewing area (on the film) because they're afraid to take the TV apart. Just take off the back and pull the front bezel forward, it's way easier.

Of course, there are safety concerns with residual charge as mentioned by many. Following a simple Youtube tutorial like this one will keep you safe:

The previous owner of my XBR960 had damaged the anti-glare film with some sort of chemical, resulting in permanent streaks and such. I'm very glad to be rid of that ugly film as I'll be using this set for Gamecube, Wii, and PS2/PS3 gaming.

Last edited by ultimateman; 01-27-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page