KV-32XBR90s vs KV-32XBR100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-15-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I've been looking for an XBR100 but I found a XBR90s which this guy "claims" is an XBR2 (XBR squared). Is this on caliber with an XBR100? Or should I continue to wait till one comes up?

Thanks,
-Brandon

Craigslist link:
http://houston.craigslist.org/ele/1954882622.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-15-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonp514 View Post

Hey guys,

I've been looking for an XBR100 but I found a XBR90s which this guy "claims" is an XBR2 (XBR squared). Is this on caliber with an XBR100? Or should I continue to wait till one comes up?

Thanks,
-Brandon

Craigslist link:

Why would you be looking for 32xbr100 in this time. I own this tv, but I have put it in the guest bed room and as soon as it breaks, its going to the trash. While this television was heralded as the best CRT of its day, it simply cannot hold a candle to the new Sony LCDs. Forgetaboutit.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-15-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Why would you be looking for 32xbr100 in this time. I own this tv, but I have put it in the guest bed room and as soon as it breaks, its going to the trash. While this television was heralded as the best CRT of its day, it simply cannot hold a candle to the new Sony LCDs. Forgetaboutit.

I know all about that, but I'm not using it to watch HDTV. I'm using it to play old SNES/NES Games that are 240p ONLY via S-Video. I want one with great geometry and these are supposedly the best they made back in the day with great picture quality. I already own a 34XS955 HDTV CRT which is awesome and a 42" LCD 1080p LCD which I'm not all that fond of compared to the Sony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-02-2010, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Hey guys,

Thanks,
-Brandon

Craigslist link:

brandonp514
I have an XBR100,and it's a bit different from the 90. It has a V shaped back so it can fit in a corner, and doesn't have any buttons on the front. It has a touch sensitive strip on the top right side of the front edge, and does have speakers inside that fire out the sides of the back. Love to see it go to a good home, but it would probably cost a small fortune to ship it. Takes two strong dudes just to lift it !
I'm an old TV tech, and it's the only new set I ever bought, $2800 ! Worth every penny at the time. Great picture and a lot of settings in the advanced menu to tweak it. Had it since 95.
Let me know if you're near the Seattle area or western Washington.
Dan
post #5 of 5 Old 01-03-2020, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Not to resurrect an ancient thread but I just happened to run across this browsing listings for these old TVs. Since retro gaming is getting more and more popular figure I’d answer.

The XBR100 and XBR96S (never seen a 90S unless it was a military, Costco or other specialty market model number) are essentially the same XBR(2) tube with the same SuperBrix Electron Gun etc.

The 100 was a completely new case design made to mimick the broadcast PVMs of the time with the disappearing LED control panel on the side. It also moved the tuner and source electronics to an outboard box and they also sold the Nuvo-riche Shigei stand to hold all of it.

All of this is great, except that 20 years down the road all the 100s are mostly a crumbling and dangerous mess. I had one that was absolutely 100 percent PERFECT 5 years ago or so, and had to toss it out because the case plastic was literally crumbling apart.

For that reason, and the fact there isn’t extra wires and a control center to lose, PLUS a great speaker system... the even harder to find 27 and 32XBR96S are (probably... I assume those don’t disintegrate) the better of the two.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks,

-Brandon

Craigslist link:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page