34XS955/34xbr960 Lost HDMI HDCP Support - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
  • 1 Post By Wizziwig
  • 1 Post By raouliii
  • 1 Post By Wizziwig
  • 1 Post By homerging
  • 1 Post By Wizziwig
  • 1 Post By Wizziwig
  • 1 Post By Ronnie Ferrell
  • 1 Post By Wizziwig
  • 1 Post By loopback
  • 1 Post By Wizziwig
  • 1 Post By loopback
  • 1 Post By Wizziwig
  • 1 Post By loopback
  • 1 Post By loopback
  • 1 Post By homerging
  • 1 Post By bobsagget50
  • 1 Post By Wizziwig
  • 1 Post By bobsagget50

post #1 of 18 Old 09-25-2010, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
I've got a really weird problem. I recently moved to a new home. When I plugged in my 34XS955 at the new place I found that my HDMI port no longer supported HDCP. I only discovered it after the cable guy showed up to install a new box. I was only getting audio and no video over HDMI. Component worked fine.

To verify that the HDMI port was still functional, I plugged in an Xbox 360 - worked fine. I plugged in an S3 Tivo - worked fine (only tested ATSC Clear channels). Here's the weird part - my PS3 no longer worked and displayed a black screen just like the cable box. The PS3 used to work fine at my old place for years so something in the TV got screwed up either during the move or when we plugged in the cable box. I briefly saw a message displayed by the cable box that my TV did not support HDCP before it lost picture.

Does anyone know if there is some way, either internal or through service mode to reset the TV? I think a bad HDMI/HDCP handshake with the cable box must have corrupted some kind of data inside the TV. I tried pulling the power plug but that didn't help.

Thanks.
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-25-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DO NOT PERFORM A RESET WITHIN THE SERVICE MENU!

Have you tried powering up the tv and then the cable stb and vice versa. The order of component power up can quite often have an effect on HDCP handshaking. You didn't mention any intermediate components such as an A/V receiver in the path, but if there is one, try again without it.

Same model cable stb?
JA Fant likes this.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 18 Old 09-25-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I tried all possible combinations of plugging in cables and powering up devices in different order. It's a direct connection between TV's single HDMI port and the device I'm testing (either PS3 or FIOS QIP-7216 DVR). At my previous home, I used a Time Warner Motorola STB (don't recall the model). Both the TWC STB and PS3 worked fine on this TV before the move and both require HDCP.

I think a bad handshake with the new FIOS STB permanently screwed up my TV's HDMI HDCP support.
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-02-2010, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Failing that, you could get an HDFury3
JA Fant likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-21-2010, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI, in case this happens to anyone else. I fixed my HDCP support by replacing the main HDMI circuit board inside the TV (called the P or PA board). Needless to say it was a lot of hassle and I will never hook up another FIOS box to this TV again using HDMI.
JA Fant likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

After reading some success stories of other FIOS users with this TV, I decided to give it another shot after the HDMI board repair.

To my surprise, it now works fine. So either last time was some freak accident or the HDCP support just broke around the same time by coincidence. Let's hope it lasts for another 4 years.
JA Fant likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the same issue. What is the model number for the replacement board, where did you get it, and how much did it run?

When you say it was a hassle, how big of a hassle are we talking? Was it worth it?

I have to hook my PS3 up via component because of this issue. Also I cannot hook my new receiver up via HDMI because of this issue. My HTPC works fine via HDMI because it does not send an encrypted signal.

Any info on the fix process would be of much help!

Thanks!
JA Fant likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

PM sent. For anyone else interested, the part number is 1-862-252-11. Just search google. Any version will work (including ones with 2 HDMI ports) as Sony uses this part on many of their older TVs. Used/Pulled boards are your best bet as Sony charge over $200-300 to get this part new.
JA Fant likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-24-2010, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

PM sent. For anyone else interested, the part number is 1-862-252-11. Just search google. Any version will work (including ones with 2 HDMI ports) as Sony uses this part on many of their older TVs. Used/Pulled boards are your best bet as Sony charge over $200-300 to get this part new.

sigh. my detailed post didn't make it since i didn't click on the check box for old thread.

though i m avs challenged, i performed a successful repair on this TV
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post18004680

i am not sure if the problem i have is similar hence my doubts about doing the repair. can you let me knwo if its similar and if yes, i'll start my search for the part number you listed and work on swapping out the board.

long story short, i have 3 hdmi sources so i bought a switch from amazon - search for B002K9GCU6. only reason i went for this particular brand is because i have bought their HDMI cables and they seem to have a solid construction and worked just fine.

anyways, my three sources are: Nvidia 9800GTX+ , magnavox 2160 and a recent brand new Sony upconverting dvd player. only Nvidai 9800GTX+ works fine without any issue at all while i get a blank screen when using the maggy and Sony dvd player - no audio, no video. i even tried straight cable connection and removed the switch from the setup entirely but same result. i tired different cables - different sequence of power up but all comes back the same - no aduio, no vdieo. yet the nvidvia still works like a charm.

is this same issue as yours? hopefully i dont have to repost this. i m a bit eager to get this resolved but am caught with this during the holiday season so it'll take a while.

thanks.
JA Fant likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-24-2010, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I would always test direct connection without a switch first. If neither of your DVD players are working, then it's likely the HDCP problem. To be sure, you should check if your Windows PC is seeing a HDCP compliant display. There should be some utilities from Cyberlink or Nvidia which show the status. I'm not a HTPC guy but you can check that forum for more info.

If it turns out that HDCP is not functioning, then I would proceed to buy the P or PA board and replace it. Good luck.
JA Fant likes this.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-25-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:

I would always test direct connection without a switch first. If neither of your DVD players are working, then it's likely the HDCP problem. To be sure, you should check if your Windows PC is seeing a HDCP compliant display. There should be some utilities from Cyberlink or Nvidia which show the status. I'm not a HTPC guy but you can check that forum for more info.

If it turns out that HDCP is not functioning, then I would proceed to buy the P or PA board and replace it. Good luck.

first thing i tested was direct connection without the switch.

u were spot on for the HDCP and i remember it being working when i first played through all the options/settings for Nvidia. its viewable in Nvidia Control Panel -> Dispaly - > View HDCP status. right now, it has a red x and says 'your display does not support'

i dug up the service manual and though the actual part # is different then what you've listed, i am going to try with yours. i also couldn't help notice you are in socal and so am i. i was wondering if you ordered the part (P board) online or some B&M place. how much did the part cost you? thx.
JA Fant likes this.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-25-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I got my used board on ebay. It was about $16 I think. There are various online stores that have them around $30 and up. Just buy the cheapest version because they are all the same thing. People just charge higher prices for the ones pulled from more expensive TV's. Just use the part number I listed or look at the picture of the board - they all look the same except 1 or 2 HDMI ports (extra port will not be active). Just as long as it has P or PA board label.

I would also buy from a store that accepts returns/exchanges just in case the used board they sell you came from another HDCP broken TV.
JA Fant likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-30-2010, 12:32 AM

any tips on the replacement procedure? i removed the cover today and realized its not going to be easy seeing how its positioned
i dont want to give up just yet.
JA Fant likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-30-2010, 01:33 AM

jeeperz creeperz! i did it. and it works
just need to replace the cover, right now testing it via Sony up converting TV and i got both audio and video. i am hesitant on reinserting the switch... will hookup the Nvidia directly. ultimately, i have to install the switch but maybe i'll buy a different brand. i will force change from 1080 to 720 and see if goes well.

the tricky part about removing the P board was the screw at the bottom holding the board assembly in place. i turned into a blind man and felt my way with fingers and thats how i unscrewed it. putting back the screw was even harder so i altoghter skipped it and the board is held in place by just two screws and i made a mental note to re/attach cable very gently.
JA Fant likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sony released a version of these televisions outside North America without an HDMI port (KV-HR36). Service manual: http://users.tpg.com.au/jbrogan/

Would it be possible to install the 1-862-252-11 part in them and have working HDMI/HDCP?
JA Fant likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-23-2019, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
may i ask for some help with my kd-36xs955?

Quote:
I got my used board on ebay. It was about $16 I think. There are various online stores that have them around $30 and up. Just buy the cheapest version because they are all the same thing. People just charge higher prices for the ones pulled from more expensive TV's. Just use the part number I listed or look at the picture of the board - they all look the same except 1 or 2 HDMI ports (extra port will not be active). Just as long as it has P or PA board label.

I would also buy from a store that accepts returns/exchanges just in case the used board they sell you came from another HDCP broken TV.

just stumbled on this thread and i have a refurbished p board to replace the bad one in my set. do you have nay pointers or advice? i opened this set up and honestly cant figure out how to even get to the board to replace it. any info or help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
JA Fant likes this.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-24-2019, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsagget50 View Post
just stumbled on this thread and i have a refurbished p board to replace the bad one in my set. do you have nay pointers or advice? i opened this set up and honestly cant figure out how to even get to the board to replace it. any info or help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
It's been 8 years since I've done that repair so hard to remember any details. You can see where the HDMI port is located on the back of the TV so you should be able to locate which board that port sits on inside the TV. That's the board you need to swap. Remember to unplug all power from the TV and be careful not to touch any exposed wires. You could let it sit unplugged for a few days to fully discharge to be extra safe.

In hindsight, you may be able to solve this issue more easily today. There are many HDMI splitters (one HDMI input, and multiple HDMI outputs) available on Amazon/Ebay that now strip or remove HDCP from the signal. Check the reviews to see which ones offer this undocumented "feature" - its commonly used to record PS3 game footage for example. With the HDCP encryption removed, your old defective HDMI board may still work fine. Check it with a source that doesn't use HDCP encryption - computers, some game consoles, streaming devices, etc. If you get any picture and sound from the HDMI port, then the HDCP stripper solution may be your simplest fix without having to open the TV.
JA Fant likes this.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-24-2019, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
It's been 8 years since I've done that repair so hard to remember any details. You can see where the HDMI port is located on the back of the TV so you should be able to locate which board that port sits on inside the TV. That's the board you need to swap. Remember to unplug all power from the TV and be careful not to touch any exposed wires. You could let it sit unplugged for a few days to fully discharge to be extra safe.

In hindsight, you may be able to solve this issue more easily today. There are many HDMI splitters (one HDMI input, and multiple HDMI outputs) available on Amazon/Ebay that now strip or remove HDCP from the signal. Check the reviews to see which ones offer this undocumented "feature" - its commonly used to record PS3 game footage for example. With the HDCP encryption removed, your old defective HDMI board may still work fine. Check it with a source that doesn't use HDCP encryption - computers, some game consoles, streaming devices, etc. If you get any picture and sound from the HDMI port, then the HDCP stripper solution may be your simplest fix without having to open the TV.

i have tried all that, funny thing is i was going to send you a direct message explaining all of that too but i couldn't because of being a new member. since the ports are so fragile i'm thinking the solder joints were damaged. no sound picture or any hint of flicker happens when i plug anything in or have anything turned on when i turn on the set. i did however after many hours of searching, found a step by step guide to replace the same board in the xbr960 and these sets are very similar with ports i'm going to wait a few more days to let it fully discharge and give it a go. thanks!
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page