Can't enter service mode (Sony KD-34XBR960) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mraroid

post #1 of 7 Old 10-02-2018, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Can't enter service mode (Sony KD-34XBR960)

Hi....

I read about entering the service mode, so I tired it. I pressed "Display, 5, Vol + and the big green power button, and I was in. I was trying to adjust the vertical and horizontal, but I kept making mistakes. I never did hit the muting button or the enter button to save any changes. I was in and out of my TV maybe 10 times. Then, I was unable to get in any more. The TV will turn on just fine, and it works just fine. It looks like it did before I started to play with it. I un plugged it and plugged it back in. But it will not enter the service mode any more. When I do the key commands, it just comes on but not in the service mode.

Any suggestions on how to get back into the service mode?

Thanks,

jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-03-2018, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraroid View Post
Hi....

I read about entering the service mode, so I tired it. I pressed "Display, 5, Vol + and the big green power button, and I was in. I was trying to adjust the vertical and horizontal, but I kept making mistakes. I never did hit the muting button or the enter button to save any changes. I was in and out of my TV maybe 10 times. Then, I was unable to get in any more. The TV will turn on just fine, and it works just fine. It looks like it did before I started to play with it. I un plugged it and plugged it back in. But it will not enter the service mode any more. When I do the key commands, it just comes on but not in the service mode.

Thanks,

jack
Update....

I left my TV off over night thinking that entering the service mode many times in a row, might turn the feature off for a while.

I tried again this morning. No joy. The TV will power up, the TV works just as it has been before I stated playing with the service mode. My remote works when the TV is on. I installed new batteries in the remote to see if that was it, but no.

Maybe someone here bought the Sony service manual and can look in it to see how to toggle on the service screen?

Any other suggestions welcome.

What I do to enter the service mode:

Press the "display" button
Press the "5" button
Press the "Vol up" button
Press the "large green power button"

This worked maybe 10 or 12 times yesterday as I tried to move around in the service mode. When I got lost and could not get back to where I wanted to be, I turned the TV off, and then on again using the above commands. I never did hit the mute button or the enter button.

Have all of us Sony HD CRT folks died out? My Sony still has the most lovely picture of any LCD, LED, or Plasma on the market.

Please help,

jack in Salem Oregon
JA Fant likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-03-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2247 Post(s)
Liked: 2110
Hard lesson to be learned.

Service menus are not for playing/testing by "average Joe".

Before experimenting, the individual should do a lot of homework up front and hopefully have a service manual (if they can understand it).

At least your TV still displays a picture as it has over the past xx years. Since I've been reading these forums since 2002, I've read MANY threads where folks have made their CRT's FUBAR by trying to become internet trained technicians.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-06-2018, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Hi....

Thanks,

jack

Just making sure...

1) The TV must be on "Standby" not "ON" otherwise it won't work.

2) You must do the sequence very quickly.

3) Make sure to be pointing the remote straight to the TV.

post #5 of 7 Old 10-08-2018, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Sony will not enter service mode any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Hard lesson to be learned.

Service menus are not for playing/testing by "average Joe".

Before experimenting, the individual should do a lot of homework up front and hopefully have a service manual (if they can understand it).

At least your TV still displays a picture as it has over the past xx years. Since I've been reading these forums since 2002, I've read MANY threads where folks have made their CRT's FUBAR by trying to become internet trained technicians.

Thank you for the good information Ratman. I remember reading on a forum here that if I did not hit the mute button and then the enter button. I could turn the TV off and then start again. So that is what I did. Just as I was about getting the hang of it, I found out that I could not enter the service mode again.

But point well taken.

I did buy the Sony service manual for this TV. But my buddy, who lives many states away from me, was having issues with his Sony (we both have the same model). He is an electrical engineer (i'm not) who works with TV stations. He needed it, so I mailed it to him.

I will probably pester him to mail it back to me now that I need to play with my TV.

Thanks again for the advice,

mraroid
post #6 of 7 Old 10-08-2018, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi View Post

Just making sure...

1) The TV must be on "Standby" not "ON" otherwise it won't work.

2) You must do the sequence very quickly.

3) Make sure to be pointing the remote straight to the TV.

Hello BruZZi....

Thank you for helping me. I was starting to think that folks who valued this TV were dieing off and this thread would be forever closed.

I have checked and rechecked the three issues you have bought to my attention, but still no joy.

I am starting to suspect the remote it self. Yes, it has new batteries in it that I have checked with a VOM.

I found a NOS RM-Y201 for sale on ebay for $6.54. It is in the UK and I am in Oregon. Shipping was only $7.00 so I bought it. It is suppose to arrive between Oct 11th and Oct 24th.

Even it this is not the issue, my original RM-Y201 was loosing text and the finishing was rubbing away. So it will be nice to have a clean new one.

I will report back after I have tried to new remote.

Thanks again for the help,

mraroid
post #7 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Hello BruZZi....

Thank you for helping me. I was starting to think that folks who valued this TV were dieing off and this thread would be forever closed.

I have checked and rechecked the three issues you have bought to my attention, but still no joy.

I am starting to suspect the remote it self. Yes, it has new batteries in it that I have checked with a VOM.

I found a NOS RM-Y201 for sale on ebay for $6.54. It is in the UK and I am in Oregon. Shipping was only $7.00 so I bought it. It is suppose to arrive between Oct 11th and Oct 24th.
I was going to suggest borrowing a remote from a friend / relative
but since you bought one already hopefully that'll work.

Quote:
I will report back after I have tried to new remote.
Thanks again for the help,
mraroid

You're Welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page