Sony 40" Trinitron - Line pattern during warmup KV-40XBR800 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-27-2019, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony 40" Trinitron - Line pattern during warmup KV-40XBR800

Hello

I have one of Sony's behemoth 40-inch XBR Trinitron televisions, the KV-40XBR800. It's developed this pattern when it's first turned on that appears as what I can only describe as wavering, slowly rotating lines. It lasts about 5 minutes and fades away completely and will not happen again unless the set it shut off and is off for a period long enough to be considered cooled down, I guess - 20 minutes or longer, simply cycling off and on does not cause the image to reappear.

I'd really like to solve the issue as this really is a beautiful TV. I cannot confirm when the issue started as it has been like this since I acquired it and the previous owner cannot be reached so I'm uncertain if it was as result of being moved. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say so I've included two pictures of the phenomena. I will also note that in the time I've had this tv, the problem has not worsened or changed. Changing video inputs doesn't not affect it, moving the TV to a different power source (even a different household circuit) makes no difference, there are no pieces of other large electronic equipment nearby. As I mentioned, the pattern does rotate slowly and the lines in the image are narrowest when closest or at perfect horizontal and widest then vertical. The lines are straight and do not "arc" as the photos may lead you to believe.

I'm just looking for some guidance as to how to solve the problem or a direction as to what may be causing it. The TV was moved down a flight of stairs, into a van, and down again into it's current location, it is over 300lbs and it quite awkward so I'd like to think something may be loose, maybe on the yolk, from an awkward move but still tight enough that just warming up closes or better completes a connection and thats why the image returns to normal as it warms up.
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190123_194253.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2516970   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190123_194050.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2516972  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-27-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetamanCS View Post
Hello

I have one of Sony's behemoth 40-inch XBR Trinitron televisions, the KV-40XBR800. It's developed this pattern when it's first turned on that appears as what I can only describe as wavering, slowly rotating lines. It lasts about 5 minutes and fades away completely and will not happen again unless the set it shut off and is off for a period long enough to be considered cooled down, I guess - 20 minutes or longer, simply cycling off and on does not cause the image to reappear.

I'd really like to solve the issue as this really is a beautiful TV. I cannot confirm when the issue started as it has been like this since I acquired it and the previous owner cannot be reached so I'm uncertain if it was as result of being moved. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say so I've included two pictures of the phenomena. I will also note that in the time I've had this tv, the problem has not worsened or changed. Changing video inputs doesn't not affect it, moving the TV to a different power source (even a different household circuit) makes no difference, there are no pieces of other large electronic equipment nearby. As I mentioned, the pattern does rotate slowly and the lines in the image are narrowest when closest or at perfect horizontal and widest then vertical. The lines are straight and do not "arc" as the photos may lead you to believe.

I'm just looking for some guidance as to how to solve the problem or a direction as to what may be causing it. The TV was moved down a flight of stairs, into a van, and down again into it's current location, it is over 300lbs and it quite awkward so I'd like to think something may be loose, maybe on the yolk, from an awkward move but still tight enough that just warming up closes or better completes a connection and thats why the image returns to normal as it warms up.
Thank you
A video of the issue in action
post #3 of 4 Old 03-02-2019, 12:08 AM

It is going to best for them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-09-2019, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Could just be a loose solder connection that makes
connection once heated up.
Until it goes out and stays out it will be very hard to find.
I have found problems like that using component cooler spray and alot of patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Tags
crt , display , kv40xbr800 , Sony , trinitron

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page