SONY KV-FV300 CRT - Input Issues - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-25-2020, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SONY KV-FV300 CRT - Input Issues

Greetings all,

I have a SONY Trinitron WEGA Model: KV-36FV300. With original remote RM-Y182.

First off I love this TV. I use it for my classic / retro game systems and it's image is spectacular.

I recently started having an issue with the INPUT-VIDEO-1 on the rear. I have many gaming systems hooked up through a switch box that run to the single S-Video port on the rear of the TV. A couple weeks ago the picture started to flash. I can see the game system displayed, but it continually flashes/cycles to black and back to the image. I removed the RCA Switch Box and tried a differnt one, same issue, then just ran one system direct to the input, and got the same issue.

The Component Input (which I have 1 system hooked up to) works fine.

That is the first issue I have. This led to the 2nd issue.

There is only one S-video input on the back. So I moved the cables (s-video/audio/rca video) to the 2nd S-video input port located on the front of the TV (Labeled VIDEO INPUT 2). And, I can't, for the life of me, switch the TV to use the "FRONT/VIDEO-2" port. Cycling the INPUT on the remote goes to "Cable Box (video 1)". "DVD (component)" and the "AIR" (doesn't say AIR but shows the static). I have a game system turned on and plugged into the front port.

Before posting I have read through the manual, which is straight forward enough, but have had no luck.

Any help is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SONY-RM-Y182-remote.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	2732384   Click image for larger version

Name:	SONY-KV-36FV300-Video-1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	2732386   Click image for larger version

Name:	SONY-KV-36FV300-rear-panel.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	2732388   Click image for larger version

Name:	SONY-KV-36FV300-front-panel.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	2732390   Click image for larger version

Name:	SONY-KV-36FV300-component.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	2732392  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SONY-KV-36FV300-air.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	2732394  

Big Fan of all Classic / Retro Games and Consoles, and the CRT's that display them best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-25-2020, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Update. I figured out why I was not seeing the other inputs. They were set to SKIP in the TV Channel Settings. I also reset all Input Names to just the Video Port (Video 1, 2, etc.), which is nice. Video 2 & 3 Were set to SKIP, once I enabled them I was able to access the front inputs. Unfortuantly the flashing signal happend on every input, using either s-video or composite.

So any signal, on any INPUT blinks / flashes. Except the Component, which is fine.

Big Fan of all Classic / Retro Games and Consoles, and the CRT's that display them best!
post #3 of 5 Old 05-26-2020, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2920 Post(s)
Liked: 2994
Have you tried removing the composite (yellow) and just use S-video (or visa-versa)? You don't need both connected. Use one or the other. Perhaps the TV or game controller or switch is getting confused with both connected.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-26-2020, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Have you tried removing the composite (yellow) and just use S-video (or visa-versa)? You don't need both connected. Use one or the other. Perhaps the TV or game controller or switch is getting confused with both connected.
Greetings, I have. I normally leave them both in as the AV Switch I am using has several game systems hooked up, some that use S-Video and some that dont. Reguardless I have tried it both ways. I also unhooked everything and just ran my NES using just the composite to the Front Video 2 port and the back Video 3 port and they both blink or flash the image, it's almost a roll, but more fo a constant, quick flash of the picture.

It's odd that ALL RCA/S-Video ports are effected. (And again the Component & RF for that matter are both fine) - So somethingis going on with all RCA inputs.

post #5 of 5 Old 06-13-2020, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gametrog View Post
Greetings all,

I have a SONY Trinitron WEGA Model: KV-36FV300. With original remote RM-Y182.

First off I love this TV. I use it for my classic / retro game systems and it's image is spectacular.

I recently started having an issue with the INPUT-VIDEO-1 on the rear. I have many gaming systems hooked up through a switch box that run to the single S-Video port on the rear of the TV. A couple weeks ago the picture started to flash. I can see the game system displayed, but it continually flashes/cycles to black and back to the image. I removed the RCA Switch Box and tried a differnt one, same issue, then just ran one system direct to the input, and got the same issue.

The Component Input (which I have 1 system hooked up to) works fine.

That is the first issue I have. This led to the 2nd issue.

There is only one S-video input on the back. So I moved the cables (s-video/audio/rca video) to the 2nd S-video input port located on the front of the TV (Labeled VIDEO INPUT 2). And, I can't, for the life of me, switch the TV to use the "FRONT/VIDEO-2" port. Cycling the INPUT on the remote goes to "Cable Box (video 1)". "DVD (component)" and the "AIR" (doesn't say AIR but shows the static). I have a game system turned on and plugged into the front port.

Before posting I have read through the manual, which is straight forward enough, but have had no luck.

Any help is much appreciated.

UPDATE

OK, I have found a video, with a solution to the exact same problem.

Here is the link to the video that shows exactly what is going on:
Youtube - Video Title: FIX! Sony Trinitron “bouncing screen” (composite/S-video) Problem - SERVICE MENU FIX!
(can't post links yet)

This is not my exact model (KV36FV300), but in the same family, using the same (or very similar) remote, and has the exact same problem.

So, following this videos instructions I can easily get to the SERVICE MENU, but.. I do not have the "2103-1" options. So now I am curious if anyone knows what menu option might provide the same results as the video?

I see the video scan through all the settings and most look the same as mine. Right before he gets to 2013-1 he is passing 3D-COMB, which I do have, before he gets to 2103.

Here are the Main Settings I can cycle through, each one of these has several sub-setting options also, but none of them have the SSMD the video uses.

VERSION
VP1 (seems to be settings for Video Input 1
VP2 (...)
VID-ADJ
COL-TMP
PIC-IMP
PALETTE
3L-COMB
3D-COMB
PIP
AP
CCD
OP
ID

If anyone would like I can break down the sub-menu optons for any of the above main options. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page