The Official Kd-34xbr960 Thread - Page 286 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 153Likes

post #8551 of 8555 Old 03-18-2019, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschnath View Post
I'm looking to replace my 34XBR960 soon. It still works but needs a calibration/registration. It has not been our primary television for several years now so I've not invested in a calibration.

Besides the calibration, the only real issue I've had with it is that for about the entire time I've owned it (I'm the original owner, so ~13 years), every once in a while it will just get stupid. It will power up but will not display a picture or sound. If I pull the plug for a couple of seconds and then reconnect it it comes on fine. I suspect it doesn't like noisy power.

Any ideas on how to dispose of it? I hate to just send it to an electronics recycler because it still has life left in it but not sure who would be interested in a CRT now given all the good flat screen options that exist now.

Plus I'm 90 minutes from a significant population center (Boston) so the likelihood of someone in this area picking it up are low and shipping this behemoth any distance is really not worth it.

Anybody know of a museum looking for a donation?
In my experience, the KD-34XBR960 needs to be rebooted every two to three months. That is, unplugged and replugged, as mentioned by sschnath above.

I suggest offering it on eBay and elsewhere with a "local pickup only" option. People still want 'em.

Luck!
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8552 of 8555 Old 03-23-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschnath View Post
I'm looking to replace my 34XBR960 soon. It still works but needs a calibration/registration. It has not been our primary television for several years now so I've not invested in a calibration.

Besides the calibration, the only real issue I've had with it is that for about the entire time I've owned it (I'm the original owner, so ~13 years), every once in a while it will just get stupid. It will power up but will not display a picture or sound. If I pull the plug for a couple of seconds and then reconnect it it comes on fine. I suspect it doesn't like noisy power.

Any ideas on how to dispose of it? I hate to just send it to an electronics recycler because it still has life left in it but not sure who would be interested in a CRT now given all the good flat screen options that exist now.

Plus I'm 90 minutes from a significant population center (Boston) so the likelihood of someone in this area picking it up are low and shipping this behemoth any distance is really not worth it.

Anybody know of a museum looking for a donation?

At any age, this is still a via TV, the best of its (XBR CRT) kind. Craigslist works well.
post #8553 of 8555 Old 03-23-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzwerzy View Post
In my experience, the KD-34XBR960 needs to be rebooted every two to three months. That is, unplugged and replugged, as mentioned by sschnath above.

I suggest offering it on eBay and elsewhere with a "local pickup only" option. People still want 'em.

Luck!

Thank You for the hot tip on re-booting zzwerzy.

I probably do this only once per year. My 960N has been plugged into a Richard Gray Power Company Pro400 since day 1 (Christmas 2005).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8554 of 8555 Old 10-01-2019, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any experience replacing the HDMI port on this set? All help is welcome.

Thanks!
post #8555 of 8555 Old 10-13-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I did find a great local repair tech who was able to replace the power chips for me and at a very reasonable price. Ever since then my 960 has been working perfectly and still is going exceptionally strong. I adore this TV. Even though I did pick up a Panasonic ST60 plasma to try out I still find myself remarking at how much the 960 holds up against even 2013 plasma tech.

Outside of getting it professionally ISF calibrated one day to have perfect geometry and overscan adjustment the only thing I'd like to figure out is how to adjust the zoom parameters particularly for the digital sources so I might be able to zoom my occasional non-anamorphic DVD title. The SD content inputs have zoom functionality that's much more open whereas the HDMI zoom is locked and there's no menu adjustment available. I'm wondering what it might be in the service menu options but have no idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays