THE SONY SERVICE CODES - Articles, Comments, Discoveries - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #751 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unfortunatly, these things did not fix my problem. I will try to explain my problem more clearly.
The problem i am having is on the sides of the picture. When an image is moving horizontally i notice on the on the right side the image is bowing outwards then when the image goes into the middle of the screen it is normoal and flat. When it goes to the left side the image bows outwards again (not as bad as the right side). All of the settings i tried in the service menu, have not helped this problem at all. I have been trying to correct the problem while watching a ticker or while moving horizontally on Call of duty 2 on my 360. The image also seems to stretch a little when this bowing outwards occurs. The closest setting in the service menu that seemed to help slightly was VCEN, is there a HCEN Because i think that would help me more if there was something like that. I am lost here. I think the problem is bad geometry that is unfixable. If anybody has a clue on what i have just said, please give me your input on my situation. Thanks..... If you have any questions about my problem i will answer you, to try to make my situation better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanupthat View Post

Unfortunatly, these things did not fix my problem. I will try to explain my problem more clearly.
The problem i am having is on the sides of the picture. When an image is moving horizontally i notice on the on the right side the image is bowing outwards then when the image goes into the middle of the screen it is normoal and flat. When it goes to the left side the image bows outwards again (not as bad as the right side). All of the settings i tried in the service menu, have not helped this problem at all. I have been trying to correct the problem while watching a ticker or while moving horizontally on Call of duty 2 on my 360. The image also seems to stretch a little when this bowing outwards occurs. The closest setting in the service menu that seemed to help slightly was VCEN, is there a HCEN Because i think that would help me more if there was something like that. I am lost here. I think the problem is bad geometry that is unfixable. If anybody has a clue on what i have just said, please give me your input on my situation. Thanks..... If you have any questions about my problem i will answer you, to try to make my situation better.

This is called "barrel distortion," the opposite of "pincushion." The same adjustments can be used to resolve both. I have used these settings on my set to resolve such problems: VPIN, MPIN, PIN, VBOW & LBOW. I don't recall the earlier list of settings you may have tried, but if any of these are new, try 'em out.

Good Luck!
post #753 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 10:40 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd95008 View Post

Yes the MTRX value is for HD but the CXA2171/CBGN, CRGN controls are for component inputs (480i to 1080i).

Actually it looks like we're both slightly off and that these controls effect 480p/1080i, but not 480i. FWIW, I did a few tests to see which inputs and signals are effected by these controls on my 34XBR800 and this was the result.
Code:
INPUT      SIGNAL    MTRX  CBGN  CRGN  YGN

Composite  480i      No    No    No    No
Component  480i      No    No    No    No
Component  480p      Yes   Yes   Yes   Yes
DVI        480p      Yes   Yes   Yes   Yes
DVI        1080i     Yes   Yes   Yes   Yes
So it appears that these may change the color space (MTRX) and offset decoding (CBGN, CRGN, YGN) for ATSC/HD (480p/720p/1080i) versus NTSC/SD (480i).

I can't be sure about 720p since I don't have any 720p signals handy, and it also has to be "upconverted" for display like 480i. And my 34XBR800 has a slightly older version of this chip (CXA2151, rather than CXA2171), which could work a little differently. But based on the above it looks like these are probably ATSC/HD-based controls. Maybe someone else could try 720p to confirm this. (Pls recall the earlier caveat re writing down the original value for MTRX before changing it, since this control is automatically saved w/o being written to memory. 0-Enter won't work on MTRX either.)

ADU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

The problem i am having is on the sides of the picture. When an image is moving horizontally i notice on the on the right side the image is bowing outwards then when the image goes into the middle of the screen it is normoal and flat. When it goes to the left side the image bows outwards again (not as bad as the right side). Thanks..... If you have any questions about my problem i will answer you, to try to make my situation better.

I'm not quite sure what "bowing outwards" means. Bowing is usually described as being up, down, right, and left. Geometry is always best described relative to horizontal and vertical lines. If I understand correctly, you are saying that horizontal lines bow upwards on the left and right. The parameters I mentioned on my previous post #749, page 25, are the most likely ones to try. Geometry correction is very seldom done with only a couple of parameter changes. Many seemingly minor geometry problems require tweaking of quite a few parameters. Much of it is finding happy mediums between related parameters. A crosshatch pattern is almost a must. Otherwise, you are not seeing the true impact of your adjustments.

Raoul

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #755 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

I'm not quite sure what "bowing outwards" means. Bowing is usually described as being up, down, right, and left. Geometry is always best described relative to horizontal and vertical lines. If I understand correctly, you are saying that horizontal lines bow upwards on the left and right. The parameters I mentioned on my previous post #749, page 25, are the most likely ones to try. Geometry correction is very seldom done with only a couple of parameter changes. Many seemingly minor geometry problems require tweaking of quite a few parameters. Much of it is finding happy mediums between related parameters. A crosshatch pattern is almost a must. Otherwise, you are not seeing the true impact of your adjustments.

Raoul

Ok, the problem is that the image is distorted on the sides of my hdtv. I only notice the distortion when the image is moving horizontally across the screen. When i watch a ticker such as fox new's the image on the right side is pushing outwards. When the letter in the ticker moves towards the middle it becomes flat and normal. Then when the word or letter of the ticker moves to the left side the image will push outwards again. When i am playing Call of duty 2 on my 360 and moving horizontally the image on the sides will push outwards, but also get distorted a little. In other words the image is being stretched a little also, and it looks weird when i focus my eyes on the left or right side of the screen. My problem is kinda hard to explain, but i will continue to try to explain it the best i can. The problem is not noticable when there is a still image. I only notice the problem when a ticker is moving across the screen or when an image is moving slowly horizontally across the screen. I can live with this problem, but i would like to know if anybody knows if this can be fixed or what is going on here. THANKS...
post #756 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc View Post

This is called "barrel distortion," the opposite of "pincushion." The same adjustments can be used to resolve both. I have used these settings on my set to resolve such problems: VPIN, MPIN, PIN, VBOW & LBOW. I don't recall the earlier list of settings you may have tried, but if any of these are new, try 'em out.

Good Luck!

I have tried to change most of those settings but none fix the problem i have. None of those settings fix the problem i have with the image being distorted and kinda stretched on the sides. (And no it is not because of watching a 4:3 program and stretching the image to 16:9) The distortion and stretching, and bowing outwards is all noticable all everything.
post #757 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You say this is not from watching 4:3 material in a stretched mode. So, are you watching a 4:3 picture or a widescreen picture?
post #758 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:

You say this is not from watching 4:3 material in a stretched mode. So, are you watching a 4:3 picture or a widescreen picture?

It happens while watching 4:3 material (when stretched to fit the whole picture) And while watching 16:9 material.
post #759 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It happens while watching 4:3 material (when stretched to fit the whole picture) And while watching 16:9 material.

Is the 16:9 material you're watching true HD?

I was thinking all along this might be the expected results when using a stretch mode with 4:3 material. It is perfectly normal, when watching stretched 4:3 material, for pictures to look kind of blown-up outwardly on the sides, while the center looks perfect. This is not a bug or a geometry error.

If this is happening with a true HD signal in widescreen then it could be a problem.
post #760 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Is the 16:9 material you're watching true HD?

I was thinking all along this might be the expected results when using a stretch mode with 4:3 material. It is perfectly normal, when watching stretched 4:3 material, for pictures to look kind of blown-up outwardly on the sides, while the center looks perfect. This is not a bug or a geometry error.

If this is happening with a true HD signal in widescreen then it could be a problem.

The problem occurs when playing my xbox 360. (In true hd). The cable company is coming next wednesday to hook up the hd converter and stuff. If it happens for my 360 games i am almost 99percent sure i have a problem here. Later today i am going to go back in the service menu (again)and toggle around with the info you provided (again). I will report back.
post #761 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The problem occurs when playing my xbox 360. (In true hd). The cable company is coming next wednesday to hook up the hd converter and stuff. If it happens for my 360 games i am almost 99percent sure i have a problem here. Later today i am going to go back in the service menu (again)and toggle around with the info you provided (again). I will report back.

Best of luck!

But don't expect to be able to make any improvements to stretched 4:3 material. What you're seeing is what you should be seeing. They leave the center alone and stretch the sides to fill the screen, and it should look exactly as you have described. You would be making a serious mistake to try using the SM to correct for that - if you do so you will really screw-up your set.
post #762 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 10:01 PM

Ok,
I HAVE AN UPDATE ON MY PROBLEM.I will try to adress my problem more clearly. I have some straight lines across the screen, the lower left hand corner of the screen seems to be moving the straight line up all little causing the distortion and the top left hand side of the screen seems to be moving the straight line slightly downward. On the lower right hand side of the screen the line is curling up a little just like the lower left of the screen. The upper right seems to be slightly curled downward like the upper left. The middle of the screen seems perfect. What setting can i use to fix this? I think if i can make the lines straight that will solve my problem. I will try the settings again, if you already gave me them. Thanks....
post #763 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 10:25 PM

Quote:

Ok,
I HAVE AN UPDATE ON MY PROBLEM.I will try to adress my problem more clearly. I have some straight lines across the screen, the lower left hand corner of the screen seems to be moving the straight line up all little causing the distortion and the top left hand side of the screen seems to be moving the straight line slightly downward. On the lower right hand side of the screen the line is curling up a little just like the lower left of the screen. The upper right seems to be slightly curled downward like the upper left. The middle of the screen seems perfect. What setting can i use to fix this? I think if i can make the lines straight that will solve my problem. I will try the settings again, if you already gave me them. Thanks....

What's your overscan?
All tube TV's bow in the corners, due to the fact that they have to reflect a round signal onto a flat screen. If the bowing cannot be hidden with 4-5% overscan you need to find yourself a sony technician that knows how to work with the magnets. There is just some bowing, curling and stretching that cannot be fixed using the service menu.
post #764 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 10:30 PM

1 more question. If i dont save anything in the sony service menu my settings will go back, right??
post #765 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptchristensen View Post

What's your overscan?
All tube TV's bow in the corners, due to the fact that they have to reflect a round signal onto a flat screen. If the bowing cannot be hidden with 4-5% overscan you need to find yourself a sony technician that knows how to work with the magnets. There is just some bowing, curling and stretching that cannot be fixed using the service menu.

Hmmmm. Ok, so what your saying is this bowing and curling and stretching i am having on the sides of my tv is normal, while playing my xbox 360, and watching programs? Even though there seems to be more distortion on one side of the screen than the other. Can anybody else confirm my problem is normal? If it is normal i understand. I guess it makes sense for some bowing to be present like u stated. Ummm ok then. Maybe this is another reason tube tvs are so cheap. Too bad i never heard of this problem before.
post #766 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 10:38 PM

My overscan.
I am loosing about 4% of the picture on the right hand side. Even though i see more distortion on the right than the left. If i adjust the overscan will that affect the bowing, curling, stretching at all? I am new at all this!
post #767 of 2976 Old 01-19-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:

My overscan.
I am loosing about 4% of the picture on the right hand side. Even though i see more distortion on the right than the left. If i adjust the overscan will that affect the bowing, curling, stretching at all? I am new at all this!

Rule number 1 - The picture must ALWAYS be centered, vertically and horisontally.
That is where everything starts. In the service manuals I have read it's called "Raster Center Adjustment". After you finish that, you see how straight and evently spaced you can get the horisontal and vertical lines using the 2170D-1 and 2 groups.

Then you start compromising - hiding the bows and curls using overscan and blanking.

If you display an overscan pattern, it has to be centered with equal amounds of overscan on all sides. If you have to go beyond 4-5%, to hide the imperfections, you need to call in the troops.
post #768 of 2976 Old 01-20-2006, 12:14 AM

Where is he raster center adjustment you are talking about? To adjust overscan shouldnt i just adjust the horizontal and vertical size and position?
post #769 of 2976 Old 01-20-2006, 12:42 AM

What does "blanking" do?
post #770 of 2976 Old 01-20-2006, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cleanupthat - I was just doing this last night. Go way back to the original few pages of this post and download a pdf file that KenTech posted for the geometry of the XS955 (I don't know the post number of the exact file name, but its there). That pdf document will discuss how to center the raster.

I don't know what Blanking does, but its okay to turn it on - just remember to set it back to the original value and Write it (save) when you're done.

After centering the raster, your display image may still be off-center - you adjust the image using MID2 or MID3 depending on whether you're adjusting at 480i or some other resolution. I adjusted the image using MID2 because my DVD player only outputs 480i.

When I centered and positioned the raster, I did it so taht the edges of the raster were just outside the visible screen. Then I adjusted the image using MID2 to get my overscan down to 2.5%.

I'm still not 100% sure of how to properly adjust the image for 1080i (which is the next step). I used the PATN crosshatch pattern from the QM/DTV menu and then used MID3 to adjust the image. I'm just not sure why the MID3 horizontal adjustment is labeled "envelope" instead of "position." (I'm not looking at the chart right now, so it could be "envelope" instead of "size."). For MID2, the first four values are for Horizontal size and position, and Vertical Size and Position, so I had no trouble there.

I'm sure someone else will chine in, but hopefully, I've helped you out a little.
post #771 of 2976 Old 01-20-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Where is he raster center adjustment you are talking about? To adjust overscan shouldnt i just adjust the horizontal and vertical size and position?

Quote:

What does "Blanking" do?

We cannot keep repeating ourselves. There are excellent search tools in this thread. Centering and overscan: Read articles by DSperber or myself. Blanking: KenTech wrote an excellent one.
post #772 of 2976 Old 01-20-2006, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

KenTech -

Have you considered authoring a Wikipedia article on the calibration of late model Sony CRTs, or producing a webpage of some sort with the same information? Your articles are helpful, but so much good information is found only in individual replies to individual questions, that it is impossible to comprehend all of it (unless you've been reading this thread religiously since the beginning of time). Given that what is learned about these sets is a work-in-progress, it would be great if there was a single place (besides this linear format forum) that you could post and update your discoveries.

Just my suggestion. Thanks as always.
post #773 of 2976 Old 01-20-2006, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish View Post

KenTech -

Have you considered authoring a Wikipedia article on the calibration of late model Sony CRTs, or producing a webpage of some sort with the same information? Your articles are helpful, but so much good information is found only in individual replies to individual questions, that it is impossible to comprehend all of it (unless you've been reading this thread religiously since the beginning of time). Given that what is learned about these sets is a work-in-progress, it would be great if there was a single place (besides this linear format forum) that you could post and update your discoveries.

Just my suggestion. Thanks as always.

I've often thought about the same thing.

But, after reading through a number of times, I find great value in reading the replies and disagreements as well. Sometimes Ken's posts only make sense in light of the posts to which he is responding. I think it might sound "out of context" to compile just Ken's work, and it would require a major effort on his part to write something that ties it all together.

If he does do something like you're suggesting I will wait in line to get a copy.
post #774 of 2976 Old 01-20-2006, 12:55 PM

Ok,
Can someone just please tell me the exact setting in the service menu for the hs420 to adjust a straight line from not being straight on the sides of the picture. Or the setting for a line on the bottom left of the screen curling up a little and top left, curling down. Same with the other side of the screen. Is there an exact setting in the service menu to adjust that???? I have been trying all different things in the service menu, and im afraid i might mess something up!!!! If i dont save my settings by pressing mute and other buttons, will my settings go back to normal????????? Please help me.
post #775 of 2976 Old 01-20-2006, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:

Ok,
Can someone just please tell me the exact setting in the service menu for the hs420 to adjust a straight line from not being straight on the sides of the picture. Or the setting for a line on the bottom left of the screen curling up a little and top left, curling down. Same with the other side of the screen. Is there an exact setting in the service menu to adjust that????

I believe the service menu items affecting these "linearity" artifacts are in the D-CONV group. Of course tweaking these is partially related to the image that's on your screen, i.e. the amount of overscan you've adjusted for (assuming proper centering and sizing, using a proper test pattern). The amount of curvature/bowing you see is a function of how much extreme-perimiter image you've "cropped" through overscan adjustments. The more image you show, the more the bowing is apparent.

There is some subtlety and delicacy here, and further variability depending on whether or not you've also had a Sony technician apply permalloy magnets to deal with convergence problems. The service menu can only deal with adjustments to deal with horizontal line convergence issues. Convergence problems on vertical lines can only be dealt with using magnets. And inevitably, these magnets will also affect linearity... either intentionally or unintentionally.

So, looking at my adjustments in the D-CONV area, and realizing that my numbers will likely not be entirely useful on your set (since I HAVE had magnets applied to my XBR960 for initial convergence problems), my relevant D-CONV settings (original and adjusted) are as follows:

0-YBWU (45,38) upper Ybow
1-YBWL (43,38) lower Ybow
2-RSAP (31,31) right H amp (offset)
3-RUMB (27,27) right upper middle bow
4-RUBW (24,0) right upper bow
5-RLMB (27,27) right lower middle bow
6-RLBW (23,25) right lower bow
7-LSAP (23,25) left H amp (offset)
8-LUMB (20,11) left upper middle bow
9-LUBW (15,14) left upper bow
10-LLMB (24,26) left lower middle bow
11-LLBW (22,23) left lower bow

Again, my values may be worthless to you because of my "magnet treatment" which also affects linearity as well as convergence (hence the delicacy and individuality of this whole process). Everybody's set is different. But these items are definitely modified in my list, and I know I was very intent on eliminating the initial "bowing" of horizontal lines I observed at both the top and bottom of the screen when I first got my set. In fact, I'd guess EVERYBODY has observed this problem and wants to cure it.

Don't forget that overscan adjustment, including horizontal/vertical centering, sizing and positioning, is also a crucial set of tweaks you need to apply. These service menu items are in 2170D-1, 2170D-2, and then MID3 (for 480p/720p/1080i, anyway). MID2 is part of the 480i setup.
post #776 of 2976 Old 01-20-2006, 01:34 PM

Can i pick up a calibration disc at best buy or cc? Can i download these discs from the internet? How do i get a calibration disc? Thanks for your input above i will try that.
post #777 of 2976 Old 01-20-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:

Can i pick up a calibration disc at best buy or cc? Can i download these discs from the internet? How do i get a calibration disc? Thanks for your input above i will try that.

Perhaps. Or you can just order it online. "Digital Video Essentials (DVE)" or AVIA.

But your "delivery method" from these DVD's is relevant, if you only have a 480p player. I have my 480p player connected to INPUT5, with my 720p/1080i sources connected to INPUT6 (through a Zektor switch). While many settings are "global", there are others that are "unique" and memorizied either by input or resolution.

I, personally, did my overscan and linearity adjustments using the OVERSCAN.ZIP test pattern (1080i) which has been posted before in this thread. I connected my PC to my XBR960, using my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card and a 1080i component video connection (to INPUT6). I used DVE (480p on INPUT5) to adjust color, brightness, contrast, etc. (in USER menu), and then started from those same values on INPUT6 for further fine-tuning based on actual viewing. I never have gotten around to adjusting the related service menu items. Perhaps one day I'll get an ISF job, but until then I still have "factory" settings in the service menu for color, brightness, etc.

However on recommendation from this thread I found that the service 2170P-4 adjustments for red and green correction produced GIGANTIC improvements in eliminating red-push, which I had initially noticed when the set arrived. I simply went with the recommended values (original and adjusted):

13-RYR (8,13) red correction
14-RYB (9,15) red correction
15-GYR (9,5) green correction
16-GYB (6,4) green correction
post #778 of 2976 Old 01-20-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Go to Amazon.com - best place to order one or both.
post #779 of 2976 Old 01-20-2006, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Go to Amazon.com - best place to order one or both.

I checked Pricegrabber.com when I bought my DVE and found it for $16.xx delivered new (from someplace called MoreMovies or somthing like that. It arrived 3 days later.
post #780 of 2976 Old 01-20-2006, 04:51 PM

When i do a "bow" adjustment in the service menu. What exactly will that fix. What is the bow adjustment for? What does it do? I just want to know exactly what those "bow" adjustments adjust, for the next time i go in this scary service menu. Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page