Home made PERMANENT fix for your InFocus collapsed light tunnel. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-27-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found this forum looking for a new light tunnel for my InFocus X3. After seeing Sheridan give the dreaded information that InFocus had discontinued selling parts for these projectors, I figured I may as well give some options a try before I threw it in the trash.

I ended up going out in my garage and found a piece of polished stainless steel that you can purchase in the form of an exhaust band clamp. I measured the dimensions for my light tunnel and scribed marks on the stainless to mark my cutting points (I used 2 factory edges and only made 2 cuts) and also my "folding" points. After cutting the piece of stainless to size, I verified the length was PERFECT; if it's too long, it will tweek the "diffuser" by the color wheel towards the color wheel. I then took a pair of narrow long nose (needle nose) pliers with no serrations (smooth inside) and used them as a metal brake. I made the center bend first then made the 2 outer bends to form the tunnel. Then tweeked it to make sure that it was completely square with no twist in the tunnel. I installed it in place of my collapsed tunnel and reassembled. Fired up the projector and VOILA! great picture with no more brown spots!!!

Key thing to keep in mind is you want to get a metal as reflective as possible to keep the picture bright. I have kicked around using a piece of chrome plated metal to make another one. If you use a piece that is chromed, you will have to verify that the chrome did not start to flake after you bent the piece of metal.

If need be, I can post up some pics and build another to make a step by step on building your own light tunnel to save your InFocus projector from the landfill.

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-27-2008, 03:48 PM

Hi RyanA,

I am interested please post a link to some pics or post them here (I think you may need 10 posts to post them here). Not sure though.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-27-2008, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

I'll bend another one up this week so people can see how I did it. I have some decent measurements but if someone has a light tunnel that is not collapsed yet, maybe they can give me EXACT outside dimensions on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-28-2008, 06:46 AM

Thanks,
Maybe you could make some cash If they work?? i may be interested( not real good with metal working LOL )
post #5 of 7 Old 02-07-2010, 08:10 AM

After alot of hunting around (one of my own proijectors had a light tunnel where the silver coating burnt off) I have managed to source a few infocus X1, X2 and X3 light tunnels. If anyone here still needs one please let me know. You can contact me at sales @ herefordict.co.uk.
Thanks for all the tips on this thread by the way!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-18-2010, 05:34 AM

so what happen its been close to two years and you have not posted the pics up yet?

if they worked can i buy one off you?
post #7 of 7 Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 PM

i have a sp4805 that needs one if youre interested in making a few $$...thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus X3 Dlp Video Projector , Infocus X1 Video Projector , Infocus X2 Multimedia Dlp Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page