AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   optoma HD70 color wheel shattered (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1117942-optoma-hd70-color-wheel-shattered.html)

reconlabtech 06-25-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnengnr View Post

with all the "ME TOO" Optima color wheel falures that have popped up on this thread alone.....

Looks Like the Optima case of the faulty colorwheel has been built...

anything else you need for proof of design flaw Mr Recon

A few "me toos" proves nothing of the sort. In mass production, a failure rate of 2 or 3% is expected and could go as high as 10% with no recall. How many thousands of HD70s have been sold? I don't see a faulty wheel being the problem. However, AVSForum is a great place to come and get help if you need it!

If this thread was 2,000 plus posts with over 100 people complaining that their color wheel failed, I MIGHT believe there was an issue.

The Mitsubishi HD1000 color wheels have more failures than this.

reconlabtech 06-25-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnengnr View Post

do you know anything about statistics dude...............

this is a mere sample of the few users of avsforum of the few that wanted to search the threads....


maybe a 20% of all optima users on AVS,,,,,,
and you got five hits...... seems like a graphable trend to me.....

toyota would have had a recall by now

nice try

Go read the Panasonic AX100u threads all the way through and then compare this thread to them. When this thread matches that, then you might have an argument.

It's a typical rookie mistake so I'll cut you some slack.

Sheridan1952 06-25-2009 08:50 AM

As some here already know, I maintain the projectors for a chain of sports bars. That's over 25 units in place. All were Infocus X1 and X2 projectors. Over the course of 2 - 3 years, every single one had to have a new color wheel, some more than once. So I would say that Infocus had the worse track record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

A few "me toos" proves nothing of the sort. In mass production, a failure rate of 2 or 3% is expected and could go as high as 10% with no recall. How many thousands of HD70s have been sold? I don't see a faulty wheel being the problem. However, AVSForum is a great place to come and get help if you need it!

If this thread was 2,000 plus posts with over 100 people complaining that their color wheel failed, I MIGHT believe there was an issue.

The Mitsubishi HD1000 color wheels have more failures than this.


TF Ghost 06-25-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnengnr View Post

do you know anything about statistics dude...............

this is a mere sample of the few users of avsforum of the few that wanted to search the threads....


maybe a 20% of all optima users on AVS,,,,,,
and you got five hits...... seems like a graphable trend to me.....

toyota would have had a recall by now

nice try

Does anyone have a link to that Magic 8-Ball "what should I eat for lunch" site? I've been searching for a while but can't seem to find it. I asked a real Magic 8-Ball and it said "signs point to yes", which confirms my suspicions that I'm hungry, however I still don't know what to eat. Not very helpful IMO.

reconlabtech 06-25-2009 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 View Post

As some here already know, I maintain the projectors for a chain of sports bars. That's over 25 units in place. All were Infocus X1 and X2 projectors. Over the course of 2 - 3 years, every single one had to have a new color wheel, some more than once. So I would say that Infocus had the worse track record.

Ouch! You certainly became the expert on that model!

reconlabtech 06-25-2009 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF Ghost View Post

Does anyone have a link to that Magic 8-Ball "what should I eat for lunch" site? I've been searching for a while but can't seem to find it. I asked a real Magic 8-Ball and it said "signs point to yes", which confirms my suspicions that I'm hungry, however I still don't know what to eat. Not very helpful IMO.

Have you ever tried www.hunch.com?

TF Ghost 06-25-2009 10:55 AM

No, but it looks like a very useful site - I'll check it out and report back! Thanks!

rnengnr 06-26-2009 07:27 AM

Reconlabtech

TECH ,,,,,,,,,,,, get a clue

Rookie

reconlabtech 06-26-2009 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnengnr View Post

Reconlabtech

TECH ,,,,,,,,,,,, get a clue

Rookie

Clues requires statistics. Please be complete and unbiased.

Thanks!

TF Ghost 06-26-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnengnr View Post

Reconlabtech

TECH ,,,,,,,,,,,, get a clue

Rookie

Your name is "Rookie"?? Very fitting! Excellent choice my friend...

TF Ghost

Daventry 06-26-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

A few "me toos" proves nothing of the sort. In mass production, a failure rate of 2 or 3% is expected and could go as high as 10% with no recall. How many thousands of HD70s have been sold? I don't see a faulty wheel being the problem. However, AVSForum is a great place to come and get help if you need it!

If this thread was 2,000 plus posts with over 100 people complaining that their color wheel failed, I MIGHT believe there was an issue.

The Mitsubishi HD1000 color wheels have more failures than this.

3% sounds low if it includes infant mortality.

I had an Optoma built HP XB31 color wheel shatter, but only after 12,000 hours. The sleeve bearing wore out and would buzz. The vibration was too much and the glue that held the wheel together gave out. I think this was a X2, so 12,000 hours at 3600 rpm = 2.5 billion revolutions - whew! A drop of sewing machine oil helped a little before it went.

If your projector buzzes, stop it and fix it. You are about to lose a color wheel or fan.

Dust is the enemy of any bearing and any moving part is a maintenance item, especially fans with plastic bearings.

parawizard 06-26-2009 01:23 PM

Really,

I am sure if projector companies actually tried to make color wheels that dont shatter I am sure they could. Really they are probably milking in the money on their service centers and spare parts.

jarrod1937 06-26-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daventry View Post

The vibration was too much and the glue that held the wheel together gave out. I think this was a X2, so 12,000 hours at 3600 rpm = 2.5 billion revolutions - whew!

Does the X2 double up on its color filters? If not then its double that (assuming 60 hz refresh rate).

Daventry 06-26-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod1937 View Post

Does the X2 double up on its color filters? If not then its double that (assuming 60 hz refresh rate).

No. Single. I stand corrected.

JRace 06-29-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawizard View Post

Really,

I am sure if projector companies actually tried to make color wheels that dont shatter I am sure they could. Really they are probably milking in the money on their service centers and spare parts.

Do you really think that any company wants to produce a product that fails?
Do you have any idea just how much it costs to warranty products?
And what about the bad 'press' that comes with poor quality....just look at this thread!

Jimilu 07-02-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafouneou View Post

Hello,

I had the same problem as this movie last night but in continu
youtube.com/watch?v=Uz3z129CDzk
The HD70 is out of warranty since 3 months and is already going to Optoma 2 times during the guarantee once in November 2008 for a problem of random green flash.
Do you think is the color wheel problem?
Where I can find a color whell for the HD70 on the web ?
Does it require to sync it ?

Sorry for my poor english but i'm French...

^^

Thanks a lot for your help

I have the exact problem. I thought it was a cable, but i already tested with composite and HDMI ant the results are the same.
The green flashes starts until 20 or 30 minutes of use, then its random.
Fortunately (or unfortunately) i have another hd70 laying around because the power supply circuit failed. Shall i use it so i can scavenge parts, or sent both to repair. They are out of warranty.

draktheas 07-03-2009 04:11 PM

Ok, I contacted Sheridan. He really didn't seem to want to help. The reply was something like: The color wheels are probably still available from my source but they won't sell to you because you aren't a repair shop. Sent a PM back and got no response.

Anyone else know a source for these color wheels? I find it hard to believe that I am out a $1000 projector (well $1000 when I bought it) because of a $3 piece of glass with $4 worth of electronics.

Drak

Sheridan1952 07-03-2009 05:10 PM

Okay, I thought I did respond. Sorry about that, I've been slammed here and lost track. If you want the color wheel, it's $170 plus shipping. It has to be ordered and will take about 2 weeks or so to get to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draktheas View Post

Ok, I contacted Sheridan. He really didn't seem to want to help. The reply was something like: The color wheels are probably still available from my source but they won't sell to you because you aren't a repair shop. Sent a PM back and got no response.

Anyone else know a source for these color wheels? I find it hard to believe that I am out a $1000 projector (well $1000 when I bought it) because of a $3 piece of glass with $4 worth of electronics.

Drak


jarrod1937 07-03-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draktheas View Post

Ok, I contacted Sheridan. He really didn't seem to want to help. The reply was something like: The color wheels are probably still available from my source but they won't sell to you because you aren't a repair shop. Sent a PM back and got no response.
Drak

Yes, that is a commonality that should be expected. Most companies all of sorts are weary about sending parts to a customer, and prefer to only send them to repair shops. This is for two main reasons:
1.) Most users have no idea what they're doing, which may very well result in breaking the parts they order... A company does not want to deal with this crap.
2.) For liability reasons you cannot advocate the user, of a purchased electronic device, opening and attempting to repair it... If you lack understanding, you can easily hurt yourself (try getting shocked by the ballast's initial lamp voltage spike...).

And lastly,
"because of a $3 piece of glass with $4 worth of electronics"
A color wheel may look simple, but it is a great feat of engineering. A single set filter 4x color wheel spins 240 times a second! While being timed exactly with the refreshes of each dmd pixel. That requires an insane amount of precision and balance. The glass most withstand the heat from a high pressure mercury vapor lamp. Couple this with high tech color filters that let through the allowed light and reflect the rest of the spectrum, as opposed to absorbing the disallowed light and heating up (what most cheap filters do), and you'll see why color wheels are expensive.

draktheas 07-03-2009 06:34 PM

Sheridan, thanks for getting back to me. I take back anything bad I may have said about you.

Jarrod, thanks for the explanation. By making it totally inaccessible for the average consumer to get repair parts for this, they are also making it inaccessible for a lot of small repair shops too. I personally went to five, yes five, different locally owned repair shops and NONE of them could even find the part through their suppliers. That is really ridiculous. Second, there quite a few people out there that happen to know electronics well enough to repair their own. I happen to be one of those people.

Drak

danieloneil01 07-08-2009 04:16 PM

Like a few have posted, where can I get a color wheel?

Sheridan1952 07-08-2009 04:21 PM

I don't know of any places that will sell to the end-user. Let us know if you are successful.

danieloneil01 07-08-2009 04:33 PM

I called Optoma directly (long distance) and the part is 129 plus shipping. And it can take 3 days to process it, then another 2 days to pick their butt cracks then they'll ship it. So anywhere from 7-14 days. UGH!!!!!!!!! I have to watch tv on the 32" LCD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.


Optoma drags their feet. It has to go through a few departments before it's sent out that's why I said they had to pick their butts.

If anyone needs to know. The part # for the Color Wheel is

70.85S22GR01

Their number is 408-383-3700

Sheridan1952 07-08-2009 04:39 PM

That's unusual in my experience. Most manufacturers will not sell parts to an end-user.

As Andy Griffith was fond of saying "Good on you".

danieloneil01 07-08-2009 04:52 PM

I have to fill a form out so I still hope you're wrong.

But something tells me I may get a phone call in a few days telling me they can't/won't ship it to me. But the female I talked to never mentioned not being able to ship it to me. Just that I had to pick how I wanted it shipped.

Sheridan1952 07-08-2009 05:02 PM

Let's hope. I can't get it any sooner than you can.

danieloneil01 07-08-2009 05:04 PM

Well the form made me happy. 129 for the part and 65 for overnight. Came to a total of 194.00. Just filled the form out and sent it to them. So hopefully they really don't take 5 days to process it. And she made sure they had it so I'm crossing my fingers I get it before the weekend.

Sheridan1952 07-08-2009 05:11 PM

Overnight? You're not in a hurry are you?

Take your time with the installation, the color wheel is very fragile and will break if you look at it cross-eyed. Also take the time while you have to the projector open to do some cleaning. If you blast away at any dust, you will most certainly need to lift the cover off of the imaging chamber. Because dust can and will get in there and onto the optics, which will show up in your image.

danieloneil01 07-08-2009 05:17 PM

I already have 3 blurry like images that I think are dust balls in the image. I took one of those garage vac to it and just removed the hose to the other side to blow it out. But yes I will take my time and clean every part and I'll be extremely careful.


Now I just need to see what the color wheel looks like


I've taken it apart before. It was full of water after Hurricane Ike. LOL, I was on the toliet and heard water dripping. I went into my media room and seen the wet carpet. I looked up and it was coming from the projector. I took it off the ceiling and about 1pt of water came out of it. I took it apart and let it dry over night and put it back together and it worked. Funny thing is I never disconnected it from the wall so I got lucky that the electricity shut off before the water got to it.


End of Story. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully you're right and that it's the color wheel. I went off your post since you sound like you know what you're talking about

Sheridan1952 07-08-2009 06:14 PM

Let's hope that's the problem. I had a different model Optoma on my bench recently with the same problem and the color wheel was the culprit. It's possible it's the controller circuit but not very likely.

On your dust, open the imaging chamber, it's directly behind the lens, that will expose the DMD and related optics. Use canned air (air only, no vapor, no shaking of the can) to clean those optics. Use a cotton swab with most of the material removed to clean the inside of the light tunnel with denatured alcohol.

One more thing. On the color wheel ribbon cable, pay close attention to the orientation of the connector. It can be inserted upside down and you won't know until you've put it back together and discovered it doesn't work. And back inside you go. The main board connector "keeper" slides out away from the connector, releasing the ribbon cable. Move this gently, it too can break if mishandled.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.